Thread: [Music] Bomberboy's Reviews

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Default Re: [Music] Bomberboy's reviews

Public Image Limited - Happy?

Public Image Limited- Happy?
    Alternative Rock
    Public Image Limited had by now moved away from the more experimental music they did during the Wobble/Levene era. They have now settled for a more guitar orientated dance/rock style with synths inside as well. PiL however did not make a bad album.

John McGeogh's Guitar is heard through out and is played skill fully along with Lu Edmonds Guitar and Keyboards. Allan Diaz Bass is still heard a lot and isn't a background noise like most, John Lydon's vocals are good and are beginning to sound like he is now but are still good and sings authortive in Hard Times and is serious, while in The Body he sings in a deep almost funny voice and the lyrics talk about abortion but in a less serious way than the Sex Pistols Bodies, the female backing sing less in this album than in their next album but are still great at backing up John Lydon. Bruce Smith does some great Drum work and they sound like electronic drums (not drum machine) again showing their change of direction. The song Seattle deserves its place as first. Its Bassline is better than Metal Boxes Dub influenced sounds and sounds more rock which is better. Lu and Johns guitar work are letting out rhythems at the same speed as each other and work well with the bass. Hard Times, in my opinion is the best song on the album and should have been released as a single as well as The Body and Seattle. Lu Edmonds uses his instrument (don't know what its called) well as the lead instrument and its sound from beginning to end is almost the same. Allan's Bass is still dominant and works well with the other instruments. John McGeogh does a great solo in the middle and end of the song and sounds almost synthy along with the keyboards. John Lydon sings serious and melodic (in a way) and Bruce does his thing.

The rest of the songs are also great and Rules and Regulations the second song points the direction they will take in their next album 9.

What do I give it?
    5/5 Better than Metal Box.

Song list
    Seattle......3:40
    Rules and Regulations.......4:32
    The Body.......3:11
    Save Me.......4:50
    Hard Times.......3:42
    Open and Revolving.......4:01
    Angry.......4:13
    Fat Chance Hotel.......7:03

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hard Times (Warning Johnny puts the V's up)

The Body

Seattle
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Hot Chip - Made In The Dark
    Hot Chip- Made In the Dark
    Electronic

Hot Chip are perhaps my only favourite modern electronic band apart from Goldfrapp that I like. Why do I like them? Because they're different to any other electronic band out there, because their drumbeats don't sound the same the synths are different different instruments are used like guitars, bass guitars and even normal percussion.

Anyway back to the album. As I'm typing this the album has finished and I'll tell you about it. Hot Chip have made a solid album here. The Synths are almost psyhcedelic and the drumbeats are very different to each other, instead of the other bands which use those crap poppy beats all the time. Alexis Taylor and Joe Goddard's vocals are also great, as they are also different to others but I don't quite understand that bit yet. The track opens up with Out at the Pictures, which sounds like another one a bit too Hip Hop for me. But still a great song to open up with. Then after the second song we get the best song out of the entire album, thats great live. Ready for the Floor. It has great guitar sounds and the synths are quite minimal. And this is where the drum machine really is different. Another song which I like is the song Touch too Much, has a synth line that sounds like an organ and really is suited to this. Hold on, is my second most loved of this song and is great to dance too and it isn't Alexis that sings Hold on, its Joe Goddard and Al Doyle that sing it. Again all the songs(even though I've never heard most of them live) sound different then these studio recordings when live and thats what make these group of lads great.

Overral the songs are great but those that sound a bit hip hop and the ballards do make it have a downside but its not much.

A close 4.5/5

Out at the Pictures.......4:26
    Shake a Fist.......5:10
    Ready for the Floor.......3:52
    Bendable Poseable.......3:46
    Were Looking for a Lot of Love.......4:43
    Touch Too Much.......4:05
    Made in the Dark.......3:00
    One Pure Thought.......4:53
    Hold On.......6:20
    Wrestlers.......3:45
    Dont Dance.......4:42
    Whistle for Will.......2:23
    In the Privacy of Our Love.......2:52

Bonus Tracks (Itunes only)
    So Deep.......2:34
    With Each New Day.......2:58
    Bubbles They Bounce.......5:52

Note how the songs are different
    Ready for the Floor

Hold On

Made in the Dark
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Japan-Adolescent Sex

Japan- Adolecent Sex
    Glam Rock

Even though I don't know much about this band I like this album since its the first I've listened to. Where can I start, Japan are one of the most influencial bands from the eighties and seventies, but its in the eighties where they were more influencial. I'm talking about the seventies work they did.

This album is mainly guitar driven work but its synths are built in all the way through but at different points. Showing then they weren't using the Synthesizer more then than they did in the early eighties. The first track Transmission (not the same as the Joy Division song of the same name) is full of guitars and the bass is heard a lot as well the synths doing some good work. The Guitar has a good job and David Sylvians vocals are more high pitched than the later vocals he would use. Another track The Unconventional is quite funky as well as a couple more, this makes it a very versitile album. The Synths are used well making many different sounds and adding the goodness into it. The Bass is funky and glam rock all the way through. The Guitar heavy in places and sometimes light and funky. The vocals are sung as one reviewer on Napster said sexy ina way on one song. I think he does it all the way through, but that could be the tone of his voice at this stage. Apart from the usual Glam Rock and Funky sounds that populate the album, a bit of RnB is put inside and as well as some more Rock elements and this really makes it different to any glam rock sound I've heard and is more varied than David Bowies Glam Rock.

With a nice bass guitar I can properly hear (which I like) great guitar and synth work this is another 4.5/5.

Song List
    Transmission.......4:46
    The Unconventional.......3:02
    Wish you were Black.......4:49
    Performance.......4:36
    Lovers on Main Street.......4:09
    Don't Rain on my Parade.......2:54
    Suburban Love.......7:27
    Adolecent Sex.......3:46
    Communist China.......2:44
    Television.......9:15

Communist China

Adolecent Sex

Don't Rain on my Parade
    Last edited by Soulghast; February 18, 2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

New Order-Movement
    New Order- Movement
    Post-Punk
    New Order were formed after Ian Curtis lead singer of Joy Division (The Band before New Order) killed himself in 1980 on the eve of their American Tour. The surviving members: Bernard Sumner, Peter Hook and Stephen Morris formed New Order and chose to carry on without Ian Curtis. Along with Stephen Morris' girlfriend Gillian Gilbert they made their first album Movement.

This Album has been treated unkindly by critics because they said it was lack of forward momentum. Well at least they got themselves a good record here. The first track, Dreams Never End, is the only happy song on the album sung by Peter Hook (he also sings on Doubts Even Here), at first I was not keen on his vocals on this but I've since then grown to like it, the rest of the songs are sung by Bernard. Its bass is high and he plays the high notes skillfully. Gillian and Bernard put their guitars to good effect supporting Hook. Stephen Morris continues to be a great Drummer in this. It was the only Guitar-Bass-Drum song on the entire album. The next song we have here is Truth it contains a brilliant drum machine beat and the melodica part by Bernard Sumner is sparce but effective. So is Gillians guitar is sparce which I believe she plays only twice, switching between Guitar and Synths. Peter still does his basslines dominent. Chosen Time is a dancy tune in a way even though its Post Punk. Its Bass and Keyboards are turning into what New Order would eventually become. The Album has sound effects placed in the right spots by Martin Hannett, and his producing makes this record great. A pity he didn't work with New Order after this, and had major problems. He and both New Order and Joy Division made a good team. The Albums Synths are lower than what they would use later and the guitars are higher and the bass is often low and high.

Overall I see no problem with this record the band was only trying to progress out of their Joy Division style and into their own. A great 5/5.

Track List
    Dreams Never End.......3:13
    Truth.......4:37
    Senses.......4:45
    Chosen Time.......4:07
    ICB.......4:33
    The Him.......5:31
    Doubts Even Here.......4:19
    Denial.......4:19

All these are live and I thought I would add a seperate song not on the album.
    Truth

Senses

Dreams Never End

Chosen Time

Denial

ICB (Quality's not great)

Everythings Gone green

Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

New Order-Power, Corruption and Lies
    New Order- Power, Corruption & Lies
    Electronic/Post Punk

Power, Corruption & Lies was released two years after Movement, and was voted in 1989 #94 best album of the 1980's. Well I'm not so sure. The differences between Movement and this one is that, Barney's vocals have changed significantly from a deep voice to a high voice, I find it a bit too high in a lot of occasions which can be quite annoying. The first track is Age of Consent, which is the best song on the album (UK version). Its bassline is great, and the keyboards are done wonderfully, and the drum work is still impressive. Bernard sings high but not too high, but it isn't like the vocals in Movement, which I like better. The next track, We All Stand was a let down for me. Bernard tries to sing in an epic high voice and fails to make me like it plus, the drum work is hard to tell if its a drum machine or a normal drum kit. And the keyboards and bass aren't at their best, and sounds too un New Order in a way because of for some reason it sounds like Funk crossed with Disco. The next track The Village, is another song I'm not keen on either. It sounds too cheesy and sounds like an early video game sound track, mixed with a bass line that sounds eastern in a way. The vocals are also another let down for me. The next track was a little bit better the beginning was slow and good but then it went fast all of a sudden and sounded like a cover version of Blue Monday. Then as I was hoping for a song I knew I would like, it finally came. Your Silent Face is the second best track on the album. It has a nice up lifting melodica solo, and the keyboards also sound more up lifting. The bass and drums are even better than the previous two songs but not as good as Age of Consent. The next song, Ultraviolence was a great piece of instrumentation but the vocals aren't particularly good. The next song Ecstacy is an instrumental, which is great and I was glad this was next. The last song Leave me Alone's guitar sounds like a modern rock solo which of course doesn't sound good at all. Its overall goodness sort of just below average to just about average. I believe it may be the only guitar-bass-drums song but I don't remember much about it. In the US release Blue Monday is on it which from experience listening to it would be the best track on it.

Overall more uplifting with a good song at the beginning, two not so good songs after a good song after them, a good piece of instrumentation after that one with bad vocals like most of them a great instrumental and a too modern mainstream sounding track last. I give it a rather dull 3/5. But even though I am a New Order fan this will be up in the top ranks of great NO albums but for me its not.

Age of consent.......5:16
    We All Stand.......5:15
    The Village.......4:37
    586.......7:31
    Your Silent Face.......5:59
    Ultraviolence.......4:52
    Ecstacy.......4:26
    Leave me Alone.......4:40
    Blue Monday (US version).......7:24

All live
    Blue Monday

Age of Consent
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Kaiser Chiefs-Employment (Limited Edition)
    Kaiser Chiefs- Employment (Limited Edition)
    Indie Rock
    The Kaiser Chiefs, one of my favourite modern bands. Why would I like this modern rock band? Because they sound different than most that I've heard. The guitar's aren't that stupid high pitched nonsence most put out. Its heavier and slower than what their's are. This Album Employment is inspired by the New Wave and Punk Rock of the 70's, and they do a good job of using those influences and not copying the bands.

The first song Everyday I Love You Less and Less, is one of my favourite songs of their's, and starts of with a synth part that may sound like a video game, but I've never heard any others (modern indie or mainstream rock band) use it. The bass is pretty basic in my view, but it still goes well with the synth. The guitar played by Andrew "Whitey" White, does well for a left handed player and plays good tunes with it filling in, but drowns out the keyboards but it doesn't matter because you can still hear it in a lot of places or all the time. Next is well...their well known song, I Predict a Riot. The best song on the album, the guitars and drums are the best song and towards the end a small piece of a piano sound makes it as though the riot or rowdy night in Leeds (as it is sung about) has calmed down, but then speeds up and goes at the same speed again, as the riot takes full swing. The next song Modern Way, is a quieter song but the band do a good job with Ricky Wilson playing a simple Cow Bell Rythmn, but it goes well with the beat. Next is probably the rowdiest song Na na na naaa. Yes that is its name and they even go Na Na Na Naaa! It sounds punk rock, and has new wave in it as well making a good combination. Then again, after the song the pace goes slower and a keyboard led track replaces the rowdiness of Na na na naaa. It sounds great with good singing and the piano and bass mix well together, and the guitar solo is always top notch with these group of lads. The track is called You can have it all. Then comes the second or possibly the best Kaiser Chief track ever. Oh My God. The cover song quails in fear compared to this monster. It starts of with a bass and piano led beginning and then the guitar kicks in with a good solo and then it kicks in with a punk rock like feel, and makes it truly a monster compared to the Mark Ronson version, which is little more than a spec of dust compared to the Kaiser's solid tune. Then comes the trademark ahhhh of this song as they did it in I Predict a Riot and they often shout or probably scream it out loud live. The next song Born To Be a Dancer, starts off like Oh My God and another track up there, a bass and keyboard led intro. But it sounds like a song I've heard before and its like a musical in a way and it really is good. The Punk Rock influences are shown in one part of the song. The next is like Everyday I Love Less and Less, but is much more Punk Rock and the New Wave is used for the synths only. The song Saturday Night is really punky and sounds like there are trumpets in it, but its the guitars and synths that do that noise. After a little bit mid way it really sounds punk rock with a quick quiet guitar solo. Then it ends fast like most of the songs.

The Next song, sounds more New Wave and has quite a groovy feel to it but its not a particuly good song but still good as well so its average (note, while listening to it, it has gotten better) and sounds like a musical as well. Just like Born To Be a Dancer. Almost like a rock n roll Chicago it also has backing singers apart from drummer Nick Hodgson. The synths sound like an organ and it is an organ sound in several parts. Towards the end we are beginning to hear the new wave influences a lot now, as well as the punk ones getting stronger. Then we end up back in punk infuences, which is guitar driven a lot and I can't hear any keyboards at the end, and I can hear a tambourine and a cow bell being played simotaniously, which enhance the beat. In one part it sounds like 60's guitars mixed with 70's guitars. I can now hear the keyboards in the main verse merged with the guitar. Its called Time Honoured Tradition. Caroline, yes another new wave influenced song, with quiter guitars and more keyboards and in the chorus it sounds very rock n roll/punk rock, then goes new wave and rock n roll/ punk rock. It sounds serious like a few songs there and has a menacing guitar. The next song is a rather relaxed song that has psyhcdelic like keyboard solo, and the drums are equally like that. The vocals are also relaxed. The bass kicks in and then stops and also a bit of guitar. Then the guitars come in a tiny bit every now and then but the song builds up, and then the guitars begin to get more and more dominent with synths cutting in at the right time, and then ends. In a way its like saying the record has ended now here's some relaxing music to calm you down from you riot like dancing. Since the album is basically like describing a riot in my opinion, and the ending song Team Mate is like showing the aftermath. Everybodies calmed down and exhausted and has either been arrested or gone home and in away paints an image of the result of the riot.

With great singing and supporting percussion by Ricky Wilson and instrumentation bt Nick Baines, Nick Hodgson, Simon Rix and Andrew White this is a solid album and is way better than Yours Truly, Angry Mob. 5/5 is the score.

Track List
    Everyday I Love You Less and Less.......3:38
    I Predict a Riot.......3:53
    Modern way.......4:04
    Na Na Na Na Naaa.......3:00
    You Can Have It All.......4:36
    Oh My God.......3:35
    Born To Be A Dancer.......3:31
    Saturday Night.......3:27
    What Did I Ever Give You.......4:09
    Time Honoured Tradition.......2:45
    Caroline, Yes.......4:10
    Team Mate.......3:24

I Predict a Riot

Oh My God

Modern way

Everyday I Love You Less and Less

Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Joy Division-Unknown Pleasures
    Joy Division-Unknown Pleasures
    Post-Punk

Joy Division the prequel of New Order with one different member. Ian Curtis. This is a great album and I would recomend anyone new to Joy Division should
    start here or probaby their LP that was released in the 90s (I think, could be earlier). Well time to do the review.

The Album was produced by Martin Hannett, his skills are really shown in this piece of art, and make the sound of Joy Division unique and never to be copyed as good as the original. It starts of with Disorder, a little upbeat song that's not too depressing unlike the others. It has a rather nice guitar that pumps out notes on a high string, and allows the bass to be dominant which is nice and high and makes its self almost like a lead instrument. There are also some sound effects in it that sound like synths. The next track, Day of the Lords, is much more depressing than Disorder, and his voice is a lot more deeper and the guitar is harsher and almost sounds evil in a way thats good. The bass is still dominant, and keeps its self that way. Little bits of synth creep in at the chorus parts. The next song candidate is a slow song, and the guitars and bass are concentrated, and more civilised, compared to Day of the Lords. The drums in all these songs are great, and shows how much a good drummer Stephen Morris is, and the vocals by Ian are sounding toutured, depressed, shouted a little a bit paranoid (in She's Lost Control) of course he only sings that way and he sings in different ways through out the song and some of those words don't even describe those three songs. Insight, a song that is one of the unique ones on the album, that it uses a drum machine, that at one point I mistook it for a keyboard, since Stephen has not yet mastered the use of it, it sounds like Bom Bom and beeping sounds like on a computer or other electrical devices. Hooks bass sounds like it has evolved into New Order like bass lines, and the guitar is quietned down but you can just hear it. The drumming sounds minimal but is more in the verse where the drum machine uses only two beats after Ian stops singing before he starts again. Ian does a good job with the vocals. The next song New Dawn Fades, has a gloomy bass line and the guitar sounds held back and deep and the drums are minimal using a couple of beats until a drum roll goes at the end. Ian sounds like ice in this, and does a good Job. The guitar's solo is quiet and high pitched. Then after it kicks up speed with the guitars heavier and Ian begins to shout it out and the bass speeds up as well but the drums take their time to speed.

The next song is one of the best songs on it, She's Lost Control. It starts with a drum beat that has a clapping sound, and a drum beat that sounds like a ball being bounced. The vocals are sung paranoid. and echo ghostly throughout. The guitar sounds angry but supressed, and the bass is equally paranoid to the vocals. Shadowplay is a heavier song, and Ian sounds angry when he sings this, and like the other songs his voice is echoed. The bass and the drums start off slowly then after a short while, the guitar kicks in and then it continues to angry but its slow, and then at the end it ends a little faster than the begining. The next song Wilderness has a different bass line to most and doesn't drone it bends not going in a staight line most of the time. The guitar is heavy in this as well. Ian's voice is smooth and is again echoed and is higher. The guitar is also sounding like the bass, bent. The drums are sharp and quick. The guitar at one point sounds like a synthesizer. Interzone has a sound effect like a ghost, and the instruments sound more Punk than the others and even the vocals are Punk. But for some reason I believe Hook is playing lead vocals and Ian backing. But it could be Ian doing both. The drumming is quick and punky, another show of Stephens skills. Bernard Sumner does well with his guitar playing through out. The next song I Remember Nothing, is a song that has a low pitched synth, and the sound effects range from a glass being broken, and some kind of explosions. The keyboards start to get higher, and sounds like air or gas through a pipe. The bass is slow and minimal, and so is the drumming, and the guitar is also minimal. The instruments continue after the vocals sre sung low, slow and pehaps restrained and finally end in a synth wave which goes up then completly stops with a sound effect ending it proper.

This is a great album and if Napster had the Warsaw Album I would review that, but I will do Closer in the future perhaps today or tomorrow. I give this 5/5, but there is one thing that isn't really much of a problem but it can be in a few places, the guitars are often too quiet but that just adds to the sound of Joy Division.

Track List
    Disorder.......3:32
    Day of the Lords.......4:50
    Candidate.......3:05
    Insight.......4:29
    New Dawn Fades.......4:48
    She's Lost Control.......3:57
    Shadowplay.......3:56
    Wilderness.......2:39
    Interzone.......2:16
    I Remember Nothing.......5:56

She's Lost Control

I Remember Nothing (not good quality)

Shadowplay

Disorder

Day of the Lords (not good quality)

New Dawn Fades (better quality but not good visuals and might not be the whole song)

Wilderness (not good quality)

Insight (Peel Session good quality)

Interzone (Joy Division version)

Interzone (Warsaw version)

Candidate

Wow all the songs
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Joy Division-Closer
    Joy Division-Closer
    Post-Punk

Closer Joy Divisions last album together as a group. The rest over the years would be collections of unreleased material and newly descovered bootlegs and rehersal recordings. But this is the best album.

The band have definatly improved over the course of two years following the release of Unknown Pleasures. The recording is very different, it is almost like an explosion of sound. Atrocity Exhibition is exactly like that explosion its sounds have sound effects coming in and out, and the guitar is sharp and quick and sounds like its being scraped. The bass lets out short lines and it is the next dominant instrument, apart from the drums who sound like bongos and congos in a way. The drumming, the guitar, and bass work are great, and so are the vocals. Ian Curtis lets them out in his deep baritone voice like Unknown Pleasures, but is hard to tell what his singing is like. The next song Isolation is almost like a dance song, it could be! Its synths a danceable and are a cross between a stringed instrument, crossed with a video game sound track but used and produced brilliantly. The bass gives its self its own dance like ryhthmn. The drums let out a sort of industrial beat, with the aid of a drum machine. It sounds like a drum being scratched, the end is like a CD missing a part of music jumping to a different bit. The third song Passover, also sounds dance like, but its guitar driven with what I appear to have heard a synthesizer in it. The guitar echoes, and that is what makes it sound like a dance tune even more. The drums lay down yet another dance like ryhthmn, and is aided by a sound that is like synthesizer, maybe it is. The bass is almost funky and post-punk, making it also sound dance like as well. The whole song sounds like a dance tune, and the guitar continues its echo like droningv and it sounds again almost scratched. The fourth song Colony, continues its bass and drum ryhthmn being used like dance instruments but the guitar is like a cross between dance and post-punkv just like New Order. The vocals on this, sound like they are shouting and are scared, sometimes they calm down but still scared. Passover's vocal style in it is part ethreal and normal. A Means to an End for some reason, sounds like some modern bands music (don't know which one), the modern one has obviously copyed. Anyway the the drum sounds a little bit more like dance, the bass is a mix between post-punk and some form of dance, the guitar is also more dance and at one point seems a bit happy when one verse has ended. The Vocals sound slow, and restrained, depressed. At the end it slows down as the guitar sounds like its broken.

Heart and Soul has a dance like bass and drums, and the synths sound like strings, (since they're using an ARP synthesizer) and at one point sound almost like a choir boy, but it is very faint. The guitar is simple, because of Ian not that good on it, but he does a good job making it sound gloomy and dance like at the same time. The synths then begin to sound gloomy, and are higher. Ian sings in a soft terrorising voice, in a way and sounds like a ghost and almost like those children in the horror movies. The whole song is like a gothic kind of music or a horror movie soundtrack. Since the synths, guitar, bass and drums make the song ethreal. Twenty Four Hours, has New Orderesque bass line and a sound effect almost like goats, but it is actualy a guitar and this is probably the heavier of the songs on the album, the guitars are quiet chirping in places and then heavy post-punk in majority of them. The vocals at this point, are growing more depressed and ethreal. The Eternal has a synth line that is a low droning, sounding like stringed instruments, and a piano also makes an appearence and lays out gloomy notes. The bass lays out a slow post-punk/gothic rock like tune and I heard, as if a guitar had a brief appearence. The drumming is like a bag being hit with ones of those drum sticks that look like brushes, it is aided by sound effects that sound like the drum machine they used. The song starts out with that sound effect, and then the bass kicks in and the keyboards and drums start as well, as the gloomy well used vocals come in. Towards the end, a synth part sounds like Procession from New Order. And small tunes and sound effects end it. Decades finally comes in. The etheral song that is sung in a depressing way, probably the most depressing song on the album but there is something about it that doesn't make me feel depressed. The synths sound like an accordian, and then a low droning noise, and a high pitched string like sound come in. The drums are minimal, and are mainly up to the drum machine, by now Stephen has improved on. Bernard has also improved on his guitar and keyboard playing, Peter has improved on his bass and guitar playing (only on Atrocity exhibition) and Ian has improved on his guitar and vocals and perhaps keyboard playing it is known he played it. The synths continue to be gloomy, high and low pitched, at the same time. The bass lays down a low to medium sound, and is like a piston. The drums kick in towards the end, and the synths sound more like strings. This is not like post-punk, more like gothic rock since it sounds scary, gloomy, depressing and told like a horror story. This is a true gothic song, and I believe many gothic bands may have been inspired by this song and others.

This is truly a great piece of art and the instrumentationa and vocals are superb. It is sad ian did not live to see the success of the album if he had lived and managed to get through his depression and control his epilespy who knows where the band might have reached and they may have taken the root New Order took, dance music. 5/5 superb.

Track List
    Atrocity Exhibition.......6:06
    Isolation.......2:53
    Passover.......4:47
    Colony.......3:56
    A Means To An End.......4:08
    Heart and Soul.......5:52
    Twenty Four Hours.......4:26
    The Eternal.......6:07
    Decades.......6:13

Decades

The Eternal

Twenty Four Hours

Atrocity Exhibition

A Means to an End

Passover

Isolation

Heart and Soul

Colony (not good quality to medium low quality)
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Franz Ferdinand-Franz Ferdinand
    Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand

Post-Punk Revival/Indie Rock

This is a band I like, but I've only heard couple of songs, and this is me doing a review of their first album. I like this album apart from a shaky start, the rest of the songs are really good. If someones new to this band then buy this album or the Darts of Pleasure EP.

The first track Jaqueline, starts off slow, and Alex Kapranos sings slowly with an acoustic sound in it too, but then the song suddenly speeds up and took me a bit by surprised. Out comes the bass line a pretty bassic (get it) one, not really much to comment about, and the guitars come in soon after. They sound like a sixties guitar sound turned into a modern guitar sound. Then the at the end it just stops. Its quite a mediocre song, since it just jumps straight to the quick bits instead of building up. The next song Tell Her Tonight, is again a basic bass line but you can hear it a lot. And the drums and guitars a bit too quiet. Its guitars sound clicky (which I like, but) its not used to its best ability, and its quite simple the whole song, and its again mediocre. But at least its not over the top like Jaqueline. And finally the one, the only, Take Me Out! Easily one of the best songs on the album. Its guitars are much more better than Jaqueline, and Tell Her Tonight. All though it uses the same technique as Tell Her Tonight it sounds different and much more skilled. The bass is actually better than the others, although still simple which the three songs may have been made that way, it sounds different. The drums are quite better, and use that beat I don't like in dance music and make it quite good. Allthough the bass and guitars make the drums sound weaker than they should be this is a good song. The next song Matinee, starts fast and then goes slower but builds up speed. They use the same guitar and drum technique most of the time, but add other bits as well which sound heavier than the other three songs, and the guitars at one point sound quite nice. The ryhthmn guitar is good, as well as the bass doing a better bass line that is working well with the song and is still dominant. At one point in the song they sing a lyric about Terry Wogan. It has a much better ending than the first two tracks. The next song, Auf Achse (don't even know how to pronounce it) has quite a funky bass line, and the keyboards are mix between a sad-serious piano like sound, and a synth line that sounds quite like ufo sounds. The guitar still sounds much the same as the others but again different. Even the drums use the same sound. This also has a good ending, like Matinee the same one when they stop and it fades a way. Cheating on You, how can I describe it, Hard Rock mixed with Surf Rock, for some reason. It has a little bit of the same guitar technique, but is much, much more different. The bass is still dominant, and the drums sound much more louder than the others. Overall this is a heavy song like Matinee. The seventh song The Fire, has a dominant bass (as always) and the same clicky like guitars yet, it goes heavy but using the same sound. The lead guitar after the first two songs has definantly improved as well, as the other songs. The bass is still dominant. The song overall is one of the good ones like Matinee, Take Me Out, Auf Achse and Cheating on You. Then all of a sudden this huge guitar solo that goes all the way down the frets ends the song as the song was at its highest speed.

Darts of Pleasure has a good bass line, better than most second best only to Auf Asche. The guitars are a lot better. In a way it sounds like a song played by those people who sing on top of piano's mixed with Post-Punk Revival. The guitars are doing really well in this, the drums are using that same technique for a third time. Michael is another song that has some of the same kind of sounds, and the bass simple, dominant and not that special but is still good. The songs guitars uses these sort of sixties/surf rock/Latin guitar like sounds, (no echo like guitars in the album just sounds like it) solos. It, like most goes faster towards the end, and then when they stop it slows and fades. The next song Come On Home, has a keyboard like sound that sounds like Everythings Gone Green at the begining, and in other parts. In another it sounds like an organ. The guitars finally sound like the clicky like sound I prefer but its still like the same as others. The drums by now have gone louder and should have stayed at this volume or higher. 40 ft has a short intro with a dance-like bassline and the guitars a using the same sound but are different since they sound like surf rock and sixties rock like others in a different style. The song picks up speed and some keyboards make an appearence but its hard to describe them. Maybe a bit like ambience but more rocky and some of them sound like a pshychedelic rock organ. These songs againa are better than the rest.

My opinion of this album is that although it uses the same kind of sounds on the guitar and the simplicity of the bass line a lot of the time they make them sound different all the time and some have different elements of music in it that make them sound different. Although Alex Kapranos isn't one of the best singers I've heard he's still good with the the things he does with the band and the instruments. A healthy 4/5, a good start. This would be with Franz Ferdinand fans a good album up at the top.

Note: Nicholas McCarthy sings leas vocals on Tell Her Tonight. He fooled (by accident of course) me into thinking it was Alex Kapranos.

Track List
    Jaqueline.......3:49
    Tell Her Tonight.......2:18
    Take Me Out.......3:57
    Matinee.......4:03
    Auf Asche.......4:20
    Cheating On You.......2:37
    This Fire.......4:15
    Darts of Pleasure.......3:00
    Micheal.......3:21
    Come On Home.......3:46
    40 ft.......3:24

Take Me Out

Micheal
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Japan-Tin Drum
    Japan-Tin Drum
    Post-Punk/New Wave

Its time to return to Japan, and see them several years later with their final album Tin Drum. Why have I chosen this? Because its the final album and I've already done their first one so here we go.

The first track The Art Of Parties is quite a good song and shows influences of funk, asian music, and synthpop. This has a great drum beat and the keyboards are a mix of Synth and Asian sounds, the bass is funky and these all go together perfectly well along with David Sylvians now Baritone voice. There are also trumpets inside and a scarse guitar doing screeching sounds. This quite a funk/synthpop songn to start with and is a perfect starter. The bass continues its funky ryhthmn and the keyboards do some good solos. The next song Talking Drum has asian influenced drumming and a funky bass still and the keyboards sound like ambience and synthpop and a violin does a rather slow gloomy again asian like sound that goes perfect with this song. Some of the Keyboards sound like ufo sounds. Next is Ghosts it starts with an avant-garde keyboard playing with the same influences and they soon begin to sound more like their influences. The keyboards sound like their under the sea, submarine like, even computer like. A gloomy synth line low, and deep goes well with the short bass line. Sylvian sounds great in this and the percussion may be a xylophone or a golockenspiel. But they both sound the same. But these sounds give an oreintal like sound which is unique. As it is very experimental I like it like the other two songs. The next song Canton sounds like their influences have fully taken over the bass line is avant-garde in style and makes a rubber like sound which is used well by Mick Karn with his fretless bass. The keyboards by both Sylvian and Richard Barbieri are used skill fully. The asian sounds are often ended and replaced by avant-garde sounds then the same sounds from before come back for the chorus. Mid way there is a minimal part with more purcussion and a bit of synths added in and then it goes back to the chorus, and continues until the end. One of the best tracks I've heard.

Still Life In Mobile Homes is more Avant-garde in keyboard and there is some of those asian sounds in there but the ryhthmn section is quite funky and played skillfully. The vocals are sung in the usual way Sylvian sung in this album and done well. In one part it sounds synthpop and funk combined. A few minutes towards the end the asian influences take hold and after that a shirt guitar solo which screeches its way into the music and then another very briefly this is played by David Sylvian not the original Rob Dean who left before the album was made for obvious reasons which are shown in this album. Then after this is a rather funky world music combo called Visions Of China. It sounds chinese in the synths and funky in the bass and drums and includes an instument that may just be a synth line. Then comes a very good drum beat by Sylvians fellow bandmate and drummer Steve Jansen. Sons Of Pioneers comes next and has a drum beat that sounds african or maybe south-east asian (that is where the influences come from) The bass is slow and less funky the synthesizers sound like the wind and echos. Sylvian sings slowly along with some backing vocals. Its very bass and drum heavy and in a way its minimal like Ghosts. The synthesizers don't take much part in this but they still make appearences. Towards the end the synthesizers pick up a bit and start to increase in a way. And sound like nightmare music but that was a couple of seconds long. The last song Cantonese Boy also sounds oriental with funky beats and bass lines of karn and Jansen, the unique vocal talent of Sylvian and his instrumental ability, and along with Barbieri's great keyboard skills. Its synths are a cross between asian and electronic genres and they are a great combination and the drums are also mix of asian styles but with funk instead the bass is funky and avant-garde.

This is one of the finest albums I've ever heard and don't care if the guitar only made two appearences this album doesn't need them really a great 5/5.

Track List
    The Art Of Parties.......4:11
    Talking Drum.......3:37
    Ghosts.......4:35
    Canton.......5:28
    Still Life In Mobile Homes.......5:35
    Visions of China.......3:39
    Sons of Pioneers.......7:09
    Cantonese Boy.......3:50

Canton

Ghosts

Cantonese Boy

Art of Parties
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Sex Pistols-Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols
    Sex Pistols- Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols
    Punk Rock

Never Mind The Bollocks, what can I say. One of my favourite albums and is a classic.

It starts off with Holidays in the Sun. Its an explosive start to this album and is full of punk energy and great guitar work by Steve Jones who does great solos and rhythmn sections. The song is all about the Berlin Wall and perhaps the USSR. John Lydons vocals are more punkier and deeper than when he was in PiL and they sound not better but the same. He sings quite fast and then does a sort of spoken word/singing at the end. The next song Bodies is a favourite of mine as the guitar work is still great as the album is still exploding with sound. The vocals are sung in anger and almost growled, as John sings about abortion, and even the instruments sound angry and are faster than Holidays in the Sun. he also does a couple of lines in the song using the word F!ck. The next song No Feeling is less serious and almost comical in a way. The instruments sound even less serious and do a good solo midway through thats one of the few so far. Lydon seems to sing about beating someone up and saying he has no feelings for anyone (not quite sure.) Its still going fast at this rate. The next song Liar is more bass heavy than the first three and is a little slower than the other ones. The drum work so far is great and the bass is also great (minus Sid Vicious who you can't hear) and the guitat solo in Liar sounds like Hard Rock and is a growly kind of sound coming out of it.

The next song is the one the only, God Save the Queen! Lydon sings like he is telling us all of this. And is again more bass heavy than the first few songs like Liar. The drum work really shines in this and is fast and really shows how fast the record is. When the solo kicks in it sounds screeched near its end and the bass seems like its joining in. And the end is the famous chant, 'No Future'. So far we are in the bass heavy section and the next song Problems is no exception as the bass rumbles on with the guitar doing the mainly rhythmn sections. The vocals are a little bit slow but the instrumentation is fast and furious and does a great solo that is aided by the bass which pumps out a great rythmn. The drums again so far done well by Paul Cook. So far there is no not so good song, All done well by band (not Sid but at least he tried). The next song Seventeen is a heavy song like most of them and Lydon shouts some of the time and they all sing a great lyric 'I'm a lazy sod' the heavy rythmn sections on this are good and suit the song well as well as the fast paced drums. Then Anarchy in the UK comes on. Singing 'I am an antichrist/I am an anarchist really makes this song Anarchy in the UK. The rythmns are great and the first solo is good but not as good as the second one since that bit is my favourite part. When the second part comes in it really goes heavy and a third mini solo screeches by as Lydon compares the UK to the MPLA, the UDA and the IRA. This part of the record is less bass heavy but you can still hear it. And at the end of Anarchy Lydon sings 'get pissed destroy' great lyric.

The next song is one of the greats in the album. Pretty vacant has a great guitar part in the beginning and the bass makes a dominant role again. Backing vocals are heard more than in other songs. The guitar work is spot on as well as the bass. You may think the rest of the bass was played by Glen Matlock but it was also played by Steve Jones because of Sid Vicious's absense. The next song is slower and the bass isn't as dominant but is still heard and the guitar is heavier, and the drums sound deeper. EMI is the next song and isn't as bass heavy again and it is also a less serious song with a great solo. It is faster than New York and has a lighter sound than most. The next song is a slower song again and is the last song. Submission. Its solo is slow and the main parts are also slow and they speed up in some parts.

Overall the album is great, memorable riffs and instrumentation and good vocals not great and I enjoyed it. 5/5

Song List. (note I listened to it in the wrong order)
    Holidays in the Sun.......3:22
    Bodies.......3:03
    No Feelings.......2:51
    Liar.......2:41
    God Save the Queen.......3:20
    Problems.......4:11
    Seventeen.......2:02
    Anarchy in the UK.......3:32
    Submission.......4:12
    Pretty Vacant.......3:18
    New York.......3:05
    EMI.......3:10

God Save the Queen

Anarchy in the UK

Pretty Vacant
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends-Coldplay
    Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends- Coldplay
    Alt. Rock

Even though I'm not Coldplay fan by any means I will review their latest album.

The album starts with Life in Technicolor and has a nice synth beginning and short bass lines and then the guitar kicks in and sounds eastern in style and acoustic. The drums are deep but are slightly drowned out but they correct it. Their Synthesizers are used to great effect nut minor problems are that they drown out the other instruments but this is a minor problem for this small instrumental.

Next is Cemetaries of London. It has a good bassline and the electric guitar is echoey and does a neat solo. The drums again are a bit drowned out by the the other instruments as is the bass, which is again a minor problem. The vocals are actually better than I thought and sound like they are telling a folk story. The synths are interwoven with the guitar (electric) which add to the delay effect and the acoustics are playing some fine melodies which add to the strong pointsd of the album.

Lost has a drum sound that sounds almost like hip hop because it sounds like clapping and there is the an organ which is the lead instrument. The guitar is again echoed. The synthesizers again are interwoven, this time with the organ and makes a neat combo. The drums are used to great effect and the guitar continues to impress me. The vocals are good as well. Coldplay are known for piano's I think but there isn't much in but you can hear them towards the end.

42 finally shows us use of a piano more than the others. It also includes strings and what I heard was probably a horn section. The intro is like a cross between traditional pop and jazz. Then as the main part begins, the bass is funky and the electric guitar comes in sounding metallic while another is reminisant of Joy Division. Then the piano comes in again the drums are louder now since I couldn't hear them before. The guitars and pianos, work well together.

Lovers in Japan has a synth/organ like effect in the beginning which sounds like the one from Procession from New Order. The bass is ok but they put most of their attention on the keyboards and guitars. The bass bounces in a straight line and the piano comes in as well. The guitars again are echoed. The drums are dancy and sound like a nineties beat and their not drowned out. Most of the instruments are echoed which makes a great effect. Then midway the piano comes in and sounds classical and the synths make background noise like a string piece in a orchestra. It has slowed down and some organ sounds make an appearence. During this slow part it ends.

Then another long song comes on, Yes. It starts with a string intro that sounds like the old twentieth century. Then it changes and it sounds westeren country like music mixed with eastern music. The guitar sounds like a violin or it is a violin. The acoustic guitar shows the rock/country influence. The strings show the eastern feel. The drums also show a misxture and are quite effective. The vocals a lower than before. Then midway the guitar goes rock style aided by some strings then the others come in. The bass is drowned out but I can hear it droning in the distance. As with Lovers in Japan it is divided into two parts. After this the song ends.

Then a song my mum is completely hooked on is Viva La Vida. It includes more strings and more bass. The strings are doing all the melodies the guitar would do. All though the guitar or maybe a synmthesizer does come in. The drums are simple and in one part sound like a concert bass drum. And a bell comes in too. The vocals return to a more high pitched like the others. Unlike Yes. The song sounds more classical than the others.

Violet Hill starts with atmospheric synth and a piano and the guitar does a sort of heavy guitar sound and part which sounds restrained and echoed. The bass is at last a sort of dominant instrument. The whole song is almost like a folk song and includes what I think could be backing vocals. The guitar solo is the same echoed and restrained sound. The piano towards the end goes in towards the end.

This song Strawberry Swing has a sort of surf music like guitars with again folk influences and the drums are deep and also sound folkly. The bass is heard a bit. Their are also strings. The guitars are slow and continue a high pitched echoed melody and the strings come in and out. And the synths are in the background. An acoustic guitar makes an appearence a minute towards the end. It is an upbeat song and is probably the most upbeat song.

The last song has a piano led intro with a guitar coming in with a small quiet melody. Then the guitar and piano go heavy and then the main part begins. The bass is heavy again and it goes heavier in places and in one stays for a while. then it calms down and the synthesizer come in doing two melodies one sounds the same as others on the album and other like a videogame sort of sound. It does this towards the end.

Overeall this is a good album and the production has a couple of flaws like the drowning out of the bass and drums in some parts but overall a good album for Coldplay fans. 4/5

Track list.
    Life in Technicolor.......2:29
    Cemeteries of London.......3:21
    Lost!.......3:55
    42.......3:57
    Lovers in Japan.......6:51
    Yes.......7:07
    Viva La Vida.......4:01
    Violet Hill.......3:43
    Strawberry Swing.......4:10
    Death and All His Friends.......6:24

Viva La vida

Violet Hill
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

You Could Have It So Much Better- Franz Ferdinand

You Could Have It So Much Better- Franz Ferdinand
    Post-Punk Revival/Indie Rock

Returning to Franz Ferdinand, I am now reviewing their second album.

The first song, The Fallen has a more modified version of the music they did with the first album. But it still sounds the same with a dominant bass. Its a guitar-bass-drum song and has quite a musical feel to it. I'm thinking more like a Victorian musical. The bass is still basic and dull as the others before it and gets drowned out. The guitar solo sounds 70's and sounded low-fi.

The next song Do You Want To, has a sort of funky sort of bass and the guitars sound echoed, high pitched and like trumpets. Which is a good thing. The guitar's themselves are rather funky with a rock edge, thats what their music sounds a lot like. There are also some lower parts sounding a little heavier and less comical and are more rockier.

This boy sounds like a musical but crossed with a bit of James bond theme in the guitar intro. This sounds a lot less funkier than the guitar techniques they use. The melodies switch from high to low and the vocals like the ones before are high. The guitars sound like surf rock in these songs. The bass doesn't sound that much dominant.

Walk Away sounds country influenced and has a dominant bass that is also has the same influences. There is also the sound of an acoustic guitar but its electric. It later changes to the normal sound like a musical mixed with rock. Its mostly high pitched like the music and has slow and fast parts.

The vocals are the same as always and the drums I cant really review properly only there fast and slow and sound like Franz Ferdinand (the band.) Evil And A Heathen has a dull bassline like the first song and its the guitars that make metallic echoes and rocky-funky sounds that make it better. The drums and vocals have some part in it.

Your The Reason I'm leaving has a better bassline alltough I'm still not impressed by it. This song is also the first song on the album to have keyboards allthough they still have that organ sound. The guitars still the same.

This song, Eleanor Put Your Boots On. Is sung by another band member and has a piano and has the acoustic guitar sound. The vocals sound like Paul McCartney. It sounds beatles like itself (I almost though napster put on a beatles song instead.) Its a slow song than the others almost a break. A couple of more electric guitar moments.

A faster song comes on later called Well That Was Easy. Like the rest it has that sixties twangly sound that sounds funky and has fast drumming and a dominant bass.

What You meant is another fast song with the twangly (some times heavy twangly funky guitar sound) funky rock sound with fast bits and slow bits with a funky bass which is fast and dominant and also fast drumming and slow drumming. The guitars sound almost reggae like but not influenced. Like all the songs it has that rock energy, (except Eleanor).

The next song I'm Your Villain. Has a more serious tone to it allthough still sounds like a muscical like the others. The bass has seemed to get better and the guitar's sound delayed and echoed as always and the drums seem to going more faster until they break the speed of light. The vocals like most sung by Alex Kapronos (no offence) sound cheesy but cool as well. The main solo in this is quite fast, high pitched and echoed.

So far the album has got better and I'm enjoying it a bit the same as the first one.

You Could Have It so much better is like most of the other songs and is even faster but I can't hear the bass much (except in one part) but I can also hear some keyboards. The Guitars themselves sound like keyboard sounds and like the James bond theme.

This song is like Eleanor. And it doesn't sound like its sung by Alex. It has another piano in it and has a possibly electric guitar sound doing an acoustic sound, or maybe acoustic. It sounds country influenced with rock in it, and also sounds a bit Latin influenced as well. And always sounds like its building up but then goes down again. Its called Fade Together.

The last song, Outsiders, sounds dance influenced (perhaps a sign of the next albums direction?) the bass is the best of the album funky and being cool. The vocals perhaps the more relaxed of the fast songs. The guitars are also dance influenced and so is the drums. The keyboards? Sounded at the beginning psychedelic. Then there is a sound possibly keyboards that sound like a harmonica or melodica and then ends.

So the verdict. A good follow up to their first even though they kind of sound the same so I still give it 4.5/5.

Song List
    The Fallen.......3:42
    Do You Want To.......3:35
    This Boy.......2:22
    Walk Away.......3:36
    Evil And A Heathen.......2:06
    Your The Reason I'm Leaving......2:47
    Eleanor Put Your Boots On.......2:50
    Well That Was Easy.......3:03
    What You Meant.......3:25
    I'm Your Villain.......4:04
    You Could Have It So Much More.......2:42
    Fade Together.......3:03
    Outsiders.......4:03

Do you want to
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Arctic Monkeys-Favourite Worse Nightmare
    Arctic Monkeys- Favourite Worse Nightmare
    Post-Punk Revival/Garage Rock Revival

This album starts off with a bang and since I'm quite new to this band I'm really impressed. Brianstorm quite a heavy song from what I've heard of them. Fast, sort of heavy, and great drums and a singing voice in an accent. Not fake American, Yorkshire! (Shefield). Its beginning and end are extremely fast and they've done a good job. The second song, Teddy Picker is in the same mood as the first song in a music sense, the vocals are good as I like accents the guitars sound very tongue in cheek in a way and sound hardly anything much like I've heard before. The singer Alex Turner has quite a good voice almost punky, the album its self sounds punky. The third song, D for Dangerous is heavier and has a good bass line and like all the guitar on it for the first three songs good and punky with some garage thrown in. The drums heavy, funky and fast as hell, I hope the drummer didn't get too tired it sounds like he worked his socks off. The others did as well too there fingers must have been bleeding.

The fourth song has a good bass line and the guitars remind me of a Hot Chip song but its not taken from one. The rest of the song is heavy and cymbals and hi-hat are all in. The songs after the first two, have become a bit more bass heavy, (just like Never Mind The Bollocks). Its percussion is minimal at the ending and sound a bit like cowbells and the bass accompany's them. The next song Fluorecsent Adolescent, is less heavier and sounds more like other bands but at least its a good break from the heavy sides and includes a nice organ.

Now I've been showing some good parts but the down sides are the production although good I thought some of the vocals and bass were a bit drowned out and even the drums too, by the guitars which all though loud and heavy () was a bit too loud but it gets fixed a bit, and the vocals seem to be echoed all the time which they could use a bit less often.

However, the echoed vocals on Only Ones Who Know, works well and the instruments are also echoed and give off a country kind of sound which along with the echoes give it a good feel good atmosphere. But again we are attacked by a soft but faster song Do Me A Favour with tribal like drumming and surfer rock like guitar the vocals are quite soft too. I quite like Alex really I didn't expect to like him. But just as we thought it would stop peacefully it explodes into a fast medium-heavy part and then ends. The bass was dominant in that. We are again attacked by a fast song with heavy guitar and bass that sounds funky, soft-heavy and rock like at the same time. Its quite good and the solo's in this are good but the most memorable is Brianstorm. Its a less tongue in cheek guitar as we've left the starting few songs and more serious. The way they have positioned the songs works well giveing us a quiet interlude and then goes back into heavy mode.

The song If You Were There, Beware gives us synthesizer like guitar, and a dominant bass with drums that remain funky, which I read (wikipedia) was inspired by them going into clubs and...dancing. Who cares abiut the dancing bit but it did them good and gives a good rhythm and the guitars still dominate the rather drowned out bass, drums and vocals. But at least there good. Again we're attacked by some great guitar with a instrument that sounds like an organ and then ends.

The Bad Thing sounds more serious than the previous song and although it sounds more normal indie in a rhythm sense they use it good and the lead guitar is rather different and the bass is still dominant.

This last song 505 has an organ that was taken from the good the bad the ugly (the one before the final show down) then after a small quiet beginning we are given an exploding guitar. The solo is great and shows Alex Turner as a good songwriter he wrote almost all the songs, a few with someone else.

Well My final verdict, A nice 4.5/5 great guitar, bass, drums and yorky accent vocals with solos and heavyness along with speed. Although the production let us down a few times. Still I'll be listening to them in the future.

Fluorescent Adolescent

Teddy Picker

505 (He's got one of those vox organs that were used in the 60's!)

Brianstorm (my personal favourite)

Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

New Order-Technique
    New Order- Technique
    Electronic/Alternative

Back to New Order again with their 1989 album Technique, they have since improved from Power, Corruption and Lies with this one, influenced by Acid House, this has become one of favourites.

The album starts with a mad song, Fine Time. Barney sings in a way that tries to be like Donna Summers erotic songs (the songs was meant to be that way, but its not explicit) but ends up sounding like he's constipated, (They even said so themselves) but the best bit is when his voice is used in a vocoder which makes it even more funnier, especially the lyrics. Hooky's bass comes in more towards the end, a melodica comes in too, but its Stephens drums and Gillians keyboards that make this song. The down side is I don't quite know when the melodica comes in and the real bass rarely makes an appearence and synthezised bass is too dominant.

The second song All The Way, in contrast to Fine Time is a guitar song which shows the more rock side of the album. The guitars are nice and jangly and perhaps a melodica comes in again, the synthersizers also come in. Barneys voice has calmed down a bit now and sounds good. The songs bass is drowned out a bit by the synthesizers and guitars a bit and perhaps a bit too much echoe in the vocals.

Another guitar track Love Less is like the other songs upbeat, the guitars sound like a nice relaxed acoustic one but they're abviously not. The bass is still a bit drowned out a bit but is still dominant perhaps a bit quiet. The vocals are still good. This album is beginning to look good. Allthough the songs are finished quickly if your two wrapped up in them.

Another synthesizer led track, which I believe is one of the best, Round and Round, this version is a bit less powerfull and again the bass is still quietened down the guitar sounds funky the drums are still electric as always and hit with precision. The keyboards are a bit toned down but for some reason this and Fine Times synthesizer melodys remind me of Christmas. This is quite a house kind of version but the more heavier version is better. The ending does remind me of nineties electronica.

Guilty Partner is yet another guitar led track the bass sounds less high than it normally does and the vocals as always are louder than the instruments, in this one Barney still goes a bit over the top but its more controlled. The guitars are quite low and the bass is still a bit low but higher, the drums remain nearly the same volume. The lyrics are bit less upbeat and is about a partner and says his love will come back to him. The guitars in this album sound a bit like the jangly guitar of bands like the smiths and funk like the guitar in another brick in the wall pt 2 by Pink Floyd. The synths in this end up coming to loud and drown out the instruments a bit but then the others go a bit high.

Run, the other song thats one of the best has a nice jangly guitar and the solo is more rock like and the bass is high again! Although its still a bit too low. The guitar does some cute little melodies. The vocals are still the loudest but the solo goes loud and nealy comepletly drowns out the drum and bass. The bass does a nice part on its own. The synthesizer comes in and remains nice and calm and the drums are harder. The ending is the best bit.

Mr Disco, has another electric drum (not drum machine), synthesized bass which sounds funky and the synthesizers still remind me of christmas again. I think Bernards vocals aren't as good here but some of the synthesizers just reminded me of BLT (Bizarre Love Triangle) and a particular drum pattern sounds like Insight. This song has to be the most electronic song on it. Tjhe ending was a bit wierd though almost like a splash.

Then the best song comes on, Vanshing Point. The Synthesizers are almost dream like in a way the bass is however still taken out by the drums and synth bass. The main synthesizer part is almost piano like and fits the serious mood that has taken over the album. Bernards lyrics in this album are some of his best.

The last song Dream Attack this is another great track and is another guitar led track and sounds a bit spanish and again the synth bass is dominant and takes over the already hardly audiable real bass which I can only hear a bit of. His lyrics are again good and there is a good guitar solo. Overral a great song.

This must be one of they're best but I can only give it a 4/5 because of the drowning out of other instruments and an instance of not so good vocals but its still good.

Don't mind Peter Hook being cheesy with his bass. Some of these are live.

Vanishing Point

Mr Disco

Round & Round and Run

Love Less

Dream Attack

All The Way

Guilty Partner

Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Hot Chip - Coming on Strong

Hot Chip- Coming on Strong
    Electronica/Neo Soul

When Hot Chip started out they weren't as poppy or good as they are now although calling it pop is not the right term anyway. They were more in line with Soul and RnB with more Electronica influences than the next two.

They have more keyboards in this with less guitar and more bass lines but the synthesizers are still 'wierd' and there even is a drummer! They have a new one now but there still are some drum machines in there and theres a saxophone and an African thumb piano (well I think its African) its the one that sounds probably like a xylophone although that might be a xylophone. Theres some samples in there as well.

The lyrics are witty in this and take the mickey out of Stevie Wonder on 'Keep Falling' which is actually one of the strong points of the album. From the quirky comes the more serious and 'Playboy' is just that. Now its got nothing to do with Playboys or anything like them. Its got quite a funny lyrical part where Joe Goddard sings about riding around Putney in a Pergeot (mind my spelling). The rest of the song is a bit like a love song.

Of course there are some weak points, they often leave some of the mistakes in the mix but I agree with them on this one. It gives the songs character. The production isn't as good as proper production like in studios' because it was actually recorded in a bedroom! And the songs pale in comparison with the live versions. Theres also more swear words and adult references (not sex, drugs). Some of the drum beats sound mostly the same with a lot of clap noises which can become repetitive, but it does differ this album from the new ones. This album can be quite slow compared to most electronica and this may put some people off. Though it can speed up a bit.

They still however use three singers but with a different line up than the current one. The fastest one that I have heard is Down with Prince a nice funky like number but is a bit all over the place, and isn't as good as the live version but I'm stuck about wether or not it should be a strong song or a weak one, well I'll give it a medium.

Some songs are of course not as good as the newer ones:
    You Ride, We ride, in my ride
    Down With Prince
    Bad luck
    I like them since I like everything in my favourites but their not the best.

The Best are:
    Playboy
    Keep Falling
    Down With Prince (because its both strong and weak)
    Beach Party

The rest of the songs are medium of course.

Overall I give this one a 3.5/5 it was a good start for a great band.

Playboy

Playboy (live) note how their different, but the same songs.

Keep Falling (the poster said it wasn't a studio version but it might be different to the one I'll show next.

Keep Falling (different version hopefully

Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Genesis-Nursery Cryme
    Genesis- Nursery Cryme
    progressive rock

Genesis, yes I like Genesis. Genesis when Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett was around in the band they were Prog Rock. But after the two left, Phil Collins in his infinite wisdom turned them into a Pop Rock outfit. yes it gave them more success but many fans left them. But they gained others too. This is their second album as a true prog rock band.

The whole album has a very medieval/victorian feel to it, and is shown through the guitars and the keyboards. The vocals by Peter Gabriel also give us this kind of feel to it, also the lyrics themselves which at this present time I cannot understand. Call it wierd but it is good.

The songs vary in length from between 1 and 4 minutes to over ten minutes in length. Like the epic Musical Box it starts of quite relaxed but as it begins to end it gets faster and then ends in a great ending which makes it my favourite Genesis song.

The songs also feature use of a mellotron which make great sounds but to some people this album may be hard to listen to because of it's "weirdness" plus the lyrics are quite hard to understand if you are new to them. Also you may not like Peter's voice in some places. Or you may not like the lengths of some of the songs which can make people bored unless they don't emmerse themselves in the atmosphere it creates.

But a good point to make is the arrangements are very effective using twelve-string guitars, synthesizers, organs, mellotron and the usual bass, electric guitar, and drum kit, with many more percussion intruments. The skill of the musicans are good too especially Tony Banks keyboard work how he does Hogweed so good I'll never know.

Overall a great album but its weirdness would make it a bit unlistenable to some people. Plus to some it might sound dated. But the only dated bits I can think of is the organ and some vocals. I'll give it a 4/5

The Musical Box

The Return Of The Giant Hogweed

Fountain of Salamacis
    Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Black Rebel MotorCycle Club (B.M.C.A)- B.R.M.C
    Black Rebel MotorCycle Club (B.M.C.A)- B.R.M.C
    Alt Rock/Neo Psychedelia

B.R.M.C or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, is a three piece band who are alternative rock with psychedelic influences and of course more over the next course of albums.

This album isn't heavy but it's quite hard. Its got the guitars in what I think is a fuzz effect but it adds to its psychedelia influences the lyrics are angst in nature but really they're singing bollocks to me. The guitars can sound really Blues influenced at times. They also never shout the vocals they have a cool, laid back approach but it sometimes gets higher but doesn't shout. There's two singers the Guitarist and the Bassist they take turns in the songs or one does lead and one does backing. But its quite hard to know which one's singing.

Now we come to the really bad parts, as I've listened to it before and listening to it again now they use the same effects quite a bit, and even though it sounds good to listen to, it is actually repetitive and the vocals may not some peoples cup of tea. Also some people would think "what the f!!k?" about what their singing about, like me. But if you look beyond that you'll find they're quite capable musicians. However, one song im particlar takes far too long to end its well, ending! And there's some really pointless sample of radio chatter in it too.

The good parts are the guitars are fun to listen to and that the two singers are good singers and don't need to shout. While some songs are just flat out effects and speed, some are quite melodic and some, a bit of both for good measure! This gives a bit of variety at some point. I think its the more sophisticating songs that the strongest on this album. Songs like White Palms, show us the amount of effects they use and how they get it right. While Whatever happened to my Rock and roll (punk song) is when they are spouting nonsence and ger a bit repatitive. I actually hear a bit of Joy Division/New Order in this lot.

Its a 4/5

Whatever happened to my rock n' roll (punk song)

Love Burns

Ex-Curator

R.I.P Calvin

Default Re: [Music] Bomberboy's Reviews

Bomberboy's reviews - Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish

Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish
    Alternative Rock/Brit-pop

After almost two years hiatus (if you could call it that) I am back with a new review.

Things weren't going well for Blur during this time, a disastrous US tour and losing what popularity they had after their hit single "There's No Other Way" to Suede and Grunge, they decided it was time to change direction from a blatant Madchester rip off band to something more original, influenced by British Guitar Pop and Rock such as The Kinks, they came up with this beauty.

The album is consistent, keeping your ears peeled for each song. Each could be considered different from the rest although they all share a same common theme and style. For example, "Chemical World" is a song where they are dabbling in Psychedelia while songs like "Advert" are more poppy even slightly punky, and then go in a completely different style with an almost cockney theatre like song called "Intermission" which it is basically an instrumental.

The album when you care to listen to it all the way through foreshadows musical adventures they would begin in the later albums. "Sunday Sunday" could have easily appear on the "Parklife" album with a good clear picture of a Sunday in British life. "Chemical World" could appeared on "Blur" due to its heavy use of effects,

The playing on the album is very good. Graham Coxon the guitarist, comes up with some brilliant guitar progressions and solo's and plays them to almost perfection. Damon Albarn, you either love him or hate him, yes when he reaches falsetto it can sometimes ruin the songs but on record you don't have that problem, his lyrics are also one of the high lights about the British way of life (or English if you want to be even more specific because they are from Coventry) they are clever and well thought out, you could easily draw comparisons to his primary influence Ray Davis of The Kinks, Paul Weller, Morrissey and even The Beatles and for more contemporary acts of the time Jarvis Cocker.
    Probably some of the unsung hero's of probably the whole Blur discography is the rhythm section of bassist Alex James and drummer Dave Rowntree. Dave is a solid drummer some of the beats can be fairly simple but at other times he can be very creative and uses a lot of cymbal work complementing the borderline-heavy riffs and chords Coxon pulls out. Alex's bass-lines are often playing leads while playing rhythm and is as dominant as the guitar. Sometimes they would use unorthodox instruments such as a melodica on "Blue Jeans" which fits the almost folky feel the the song with acoustic backing and lush background vocals which has become a staple of the Blur sound and is not flawed because Graham and Damon can harmonise well together. Expanding on "Leisure's" blueprint of loud guitars, a driving rhythm and lush background vocals they managed to shred the Madchester sound and retain all that made them unique on that album and make it completely new. What also gives Blur more of a different side to most bands of the 90's is that Graham is unafraid of experimenting with effects pedals, which is what he would do even further on the last two or possibly three albums. Brass also makes an appearance which does give Blur that "Pop" edge which is nothing bad at all because they give that extra "Britishness" to the album.

The production is pretty much spot on, Stephen Street has managed to mix polished with power, the songs never sound too perfect, or inhuman always having that quality that makes him a good producer. Sometimes he can make his production on songs make emphasis on a certain instrument depending on the role they play, a good example would be again "Sunday Sunday" with drums creating a driving rhythm right up in the mix, but never drowning out the other instruments, always being able to hear them.

The problem with some of the songs could be that the keyboards have dated slightly but it's not a problem because it actually fits this record because it is basically like our decade being an 80's revival, Blurs musical direction was a 60's revival. Sometimes the listener can be put off of the free time jams they use in some of the songs especially towards the end like "Intermission" but it is really there to enhance the record to put some "umph" into the album, even though most of the songs are pretty hard edged. On certain tracks especially on the later stages when the album turns toward the experimental tracks like "Oily Water" start off well but then as they draw to a close they begin to drag on and become repetitive as Blur are trying to still be fully arty like they were (and still are) when you can still be arty and have shorter songs. Some of the last songs could be classed as filler and the album could have worked with some songs removed but really it is so well written this not a problem if you are completely taken in by the music.

Overall this is a classic album the good outnumbers the bad in so many ways I'll award this 5/5. Good job Blur!
    Last edited by Astaroth; February 11, 2010 at 12:14 PM.