Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Ideas/Suggestions

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Ideas/Suggestions

I would be interested to hear what Mongolian accents would be like (if that can work). And depending on that, possibly use them until we can insert Chinese voices.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

You need to delete the events idx and dat files in the data\sounds folder as well, they are the ones that contain the file references.

You will however run into errors as we removed some entries from descr_mounts and haven't updated the necessary txt files since we didn't generate new files after that. Attached are the changed files, extract them into the data folder, then delete the events.idx and dat files and run the game with your changed accent entries

descr_sounds_db.xml is only concerned with the factions that use one liners spoken in battle, it does not define accents as such. No need to change I would think.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM.

Many thanks Gigantus...things to do first..will experiment later if I get some time and update
    EDIT
    Cheers ROTK team for files and tutorial GOT RESULTS!
    After 2 hours relentless (just) campaign map testing Just 5 Gig files (didn’t touch mounts) and accent edits

1. Bare in mind some vanilla accents are not unique. Off top of head Irish, welsh, = English Jerusalem,Antioch = French or something blah blah????)
    2. NATIVE, APACHEAN, JERUSALEM, ANTIOCH won’t work at all. Everything else does.

3. MONGOLIAN will work for every faction that is not the player at the time (ie for the AI only) . Whether a save or new start, the players sounds will be blank, all the AI factions Mongolian.

4. ARABIC sounds good but has dialect mannerisms- Sadiq, Inshallah etc.
    5. EASTERN EUROPEAN seems second best choice (so far, needs further testing)

6. Quick Tutorial...find CURRENT FACTION in expanded.txt. (ie VoT playing as Nanman, check string in expanded.txt = TIMURIDS
    7. Load all factions as Mongolian in accents, switch TIMURIDS to second choice EASTERN EUROPEAN delete in sounds, run bat etc

8. Whether save or new game I have sound as a player (as EASTERN EUROPEAN) ALL OTHER FACTIONS SPEAK MONGOLIAN (campaign map tested only so far)

#####9. Update. No Mongolian "princess" mp3.s (idx extract) so princesses have diplomats diplomacy voice#####

So it seems something can be done, custom wise, individually (haven't tried through out a full game/battles etc yet)
    (or everyone listed as Mongolian in accents = player no sound...but all AI Mongolian)

Anyhow, thanks gents...I'm gonna continue my campaign trying this out as a BETA TEST, but so far seems good start
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Voice of Treason; August 15, 2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: facts. 9 update

havuk's Avatar Foederatus

Some suggestions:

1) it would be great if the famous generals of each faction had a respawn script if they died. I know this is already implemented in some Third Age mods but im not sure how it would work if you were to bribe said famous generals.

2) I'm not sure if this is hard coded into the game but it would be great if every enemy faction wasnt fored to hae at least one of their generals in every city that they own. This makes it hard for me to fight them without besieging the city or een try to bribe them.

Update to post # 23
    All sound workaround seems OK in battles etc. (me = eastern european, everyone else Mongolian)
    Though not a perfect solution, overall, definitely more aesthetic and suitable than everyone in game speaking "The Duffer Club" English...

"Pip pip Old Bean, mind if i stick this Ji halberd right up your bunghole?...chocks away, what what?....

I don't suppose any ROTK Colossus has a new re-Validated battles_models.modeldb?

(Short version. Campaign fine. Tried regulating the Lods. CTD's."Trace" log said campaign script and 0072 descr_factions standing trigger. Stripped mod down. Turns out it was the modified modeldb that was causing it though all entries seemed sound)

I was gonna experiment, see if I could regulate the lods (many say all Lod0 instead of lod 0,1,2,3) with the new validated version to (hopefully) regulate the battle sprite distances, see if i had better luck, then upload back.

many thanks, again for the last sound files.

Quote Originally Posted by havuk View Post
    Some suggestions:

1) it would be great if the famous generals of each faction had a respawn script if they died. I know this is already implemented in some Third Age mods but im not sure how it would work if you were to bribe said famous generals.

2) I'm not sure if this is hard coded into the game but it would be great if every enemy faction wasnt fored to hae at least one of their generals in every city that they own. This makes it hard for me to fight them without besieging the city or een try to bribe them.
    dont think any of these are possible since the admin try to make it as realistic as possible, and being able to recruit some any general is frankly a overkill even before the new option to allow recruitment of standard general infantry. beside I find it fun to have a possibility of having a random general who could have a really high stats ( I got one who is just as strong as lubu) as a officer of your own instead of buying one

if you want a general that in the city the best option is to buy the city with a lot of money, you can force them out assume you arent at war with one another.
    Last edited by cheesegrader; August 13, 2014 at 04:03 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Treason View Post
    I don't suppose any ROTK Colossus has a new re-Validated battles_models.modeldb?

(Short version. Campaign fine. Tried regulating the Lods. CTD's."Trace" log said campaign script and 0072 descr_factions standing trigger. Stripped mod down. Turns out it was the modified modeldb that was causing it though all entries seemed sound)

I was gonna experiment, see if I could regulate the lods (many say all Lod0 instead of lod 0,1,2,3) with the new validated version to (hopefully) regulate the battle sprite distances, see if i had better luck, then upload back.

many thanks, again for the last sound files.
    What you changed were file names - rather unsurprisingly the game crashed when those files were not present.
    Why the same file name in several lines? In most cases it is a place holder as the usual way would be to have models with reduced number of vertices the further the viewing distance is (the number at the end of the line). THAT is where the different lod numbers derive from. lodzero is the most detailed model for close up, followed by lod1 2 and 3.

So, dig out the back up modeldb you certainly made and replace your modified one.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesegrader View Post
    dont think any of these are possible since the admin try to make it as realistic as possible, and being able to recruit some any general is frankly a overkill even before the new option to allow recruitment of standard general infantry. beside I find it fun to have a possibility of having a random general who could have a really high stats ( I got one who is just as strong as lubu) as a officer of your own instead of buying one

if you want a general that in the city the best option is to buy the city with a lot of money, you can force them out assume you arent at war with one another.
    You could force the player to keep a named character in every town by disabling recruiting and building if he is not present. We discussed that issue at some stage but felt that it is too intrusive and if should be an option only. It would consist of a small script and some rather extensive work in the EDB, albeit easy unless there are already complicated conditions in lace.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The faction symbols are Chinese letters or syllables , right? They are a bit confusing, I can't really tell them apart.

Civis

Default Re: Yellow Turban Agitators

Quote Originally Posted by sickNsane View Post
    This is my third post in a few minutes so im gonna wait a few days to post anything else lol, Anyway i had another idea

Rebel agents, Agitators with yellow turban faith that just wander trying to cause revolts randomly, but a successful revolt or rebellion would result in the resurrection of the yellow turban as an AI faction.

Seems like it could make things interesting.

How about making them a horde faction?

Blog Entries

What he suggests is the principle of shadowing factions - the barons in the brittania campaigns. As there can be only two factions involved in shadowing as per conventional wisdom you would require a shadowing faction for every playing faction. At least no one ever tried to have one faction shadow more then one other faction. If I have tons of time on my hand I'll check it out.

Spawning a horde brings all sorts of scripting night mares with it: they NEVER occupy the first settlement they conquer. I broke about 3 keyboards until I gave up. There is NO way to get them to attack a settlement unless they get spawned right next to it and are scripted to attack. ('horde' designation in descr_regions has a 20% chance to be effective, don't hold breath, distance to spawn plays a crucial role as well). Then loop back to other NEVER I mentioned.

Civis

hahaha yea, the only modding i do is basic or with the PFM and even that made me want to shoot myself until i figured it out so i can only imagine. Truth be told i have no idea how hard some of my ideas would be to implement, i only voice them to give you guys things to ponder all in the name of helping this mod grow!

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Options\audio settings\speech - put the slider all the way to the left to shut them up.

We had limited Chinese voice files from the original mod. As much as I would have loved to have them it was the first thing I changed because they were very intrusive, it made me wary after a while to click the characters.
    But it doesn't that only shuts up the narrator, the units are still saying their lines.

Blog Entries

Oh, I thought you meant the strat characters - they definitely shut up that way. Battle voices cannot be be done that way.

So can they be "shut down" in some way?

BTW maybe this is not a place, but congrats on ANOTHER great mod work Gigantus, you are really starting to be a seal of quality when it comes to tw mods
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; August 14, 2014 at 08:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Other then changing the voice sound files - no. Strat voices are part of the SFX pack which can be regulated by the slider gadget. Battle voices are not, unfortunately.

There is this CFG setting that may work. But then again it might be for the strat voices.

[audio]
    speech_enable = 0

Is there a reason why Ba-Shu has the "belief" of "restoration" rather than "isolationism"?

I would think that the preference of Liu Zhang to not get involved in the civil war and Li Yan's isolationist beliefs would cast doubt on the "restoration" belief they have.

Quote Originally Posted by theharkonnen View Post
    Is there a reason why Ba-Shu has the "belief" of "restoration" rather than "isolationism"?

I would think that the preference of Liu Zhang to not get involved in the civil war and Li Yan's isolationist beliefs would cast doubt on the "restoration" belief they have.
    Liu Zhang isnt pro isolation, but rather he was too weak to expand anymore compared to his neighbors. The campaign also start at 194 which is the year Liu Yan, father of Liu Zhang, is pro restoration.

But Liu Zhang is the faction leader in the mod and it was said that he was not ambitious, rather than being necessarily weak. But the result is the same regardless of reason, he did not expand and so isolationist I think would fit the mold better.

The same goes with Jingzhou and Liu Biao I think. There seems to be too many restorationists I think.

Quote Originally Posted by theharkonnen View Post
    But Liu Zhang is the faction leader in the mod and it was said that he was not ambitious, rather than being necessarily weak. But the result is the same regardless of reason, he did not expand and so isolationist I think would fit the mold better.

The same goes with Jingzhou and Liu Biao I think. There seems to be too many restorationists I think.
    There are only 4 Revivalist (Liu Bei, Liu Zhang, Liu Biao, and Kong Rong); that's too many?

And I fail to see how either Liu Zhang or Liu Biao were isolationists, as both of them expanded quite a bit and engaged in military expeditions to enlarge their territory. Liu Zhang expanded his control to encompass all of the Sichuan Basin, acquired territories north and east (such as Baidicheng) of Sichuan, sent an expedition led by Zhang Lu to conquer Hanzhong, and repeatedly waged war with Zhang Lu after his revolt. Liu Biao was constantly at war with Yuan Shu, expanded his domain throughout Jingbei and established Zhang Ji and Zhang Xiu as vassals, achieved hegemony over the four prefectures of Jingnan, and constantly fought with Sun Ce and Sun Quan over eastern Jingzhou. In addition to this, Liu Zhang (and Liu Yan before him) engaged in fighting with Liu Biao on a regular basis (Liu Yan/Zhang and Liu Biao were arch-enemies).