Thread: Northern Barbarian Faction

Default Northern Barbarian Faction

Do you plan to include any northern nomad faction in a future Rise of Three Kingdoms version?

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default Re: Northern Barbarian Faction

As independent factions? Possibly, but it couldn’t be all of them as we won’t have enough faction slots. Right now the Wuhuan, Xianbei, Xiongnu, and Qiang (also Di & Shanyue) already all have unique unit rosters and settlements, but all belong to the rebel faction. Also, each of these ‘barbarian’ factions have several large, roaming stacks led by their historic leaders in their respective areas of influence. But, if we were to include one as a unique faction, it would probably be the Xianbei and/or Xiongnu.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

The mod is awesome just I always liked the northern nomads and I feel that a northern nomadic faction is missing.

An argument can definitely be made for one to be included. We’ll see what happens

I hope the factions would be the Southern Xiongnu and Xianbei. If I remember correctly the Xianbei went on to dominate the steppes north of China during the three kingdoms era after the Northern Xiongnu left while the Southern Xiongnu remained as vassals to the Han and were eventually subjugated by the Xianbei

Would be interesting to revive the Xiongnu or to create the Xianbei empire like it historically happened. probably after them would be the Shanyue and Goguryeo but Korea is not on the map plus there's the problem with having to create a whole new unit roster plus the faction limits

Although if I were good enough at modding I would have probably kept Xiliang and Yangzhou as one faction, as a coalition basically and one himself can simulate within the faction the political independency of each group and those 3 slots would go to some barbarian factions. That would be 5 slots for more barbarians which would make 6 barbarian factions which is one fifth of the faction roster

still a great mod just sharing my vision. many hours will be spent playing this :^]

Just so you are aware the current plan is that the Xianbei are likely to be the playable faction in the North.

Also the Xiliang and Yangzhou faction leaders are not united at all. In fact, Lu Bu(Yangzhou) was driven from Chang'an by I think whoever controls Xiliang aswell as Liang. I think you are thinking of Dong Zhuo and the his rather famed Xiliang Army but this game takes place after his death when his top generals(discounting Lu Bu) are in control of Xiliang and Liang respectively. Uniting either of them with Yangzhou would not be very accurate.

And unfortunately, it does have to be a choice between Xianbei or Xiongnu and it can't be both because of the Med 2 faction limits since the Shanyue are also being added to the south. As I said, currently the likely Northern barbar faction that is likely to be added is Xianbei. I am sure the mod team would probably love to add every faction possible but that's just how the cookie crumbles with faction limits in Med 2.

Though personally, if you ask me I do think there are a few unnecessary Han Chinese factions that could be removed in favor of other Barbarian factions but that is just my opinion.

Correct, the Xianbei and Shanyue will be added in the upcoming 2.2 Patch. And just my personal opinion (take it for what it is worth), I would prefer Chinese warlords and regional leaders over 'barbarians' as factions, simply due to the fact that the Three Kingdoms novel and history was about a civil war between said Chinese warlords and regional leaders. Until some leaders established regional dominance (Yuan Shao, Cao Cao, Sun Ce, etc.), the regional conflicts between smaller warlords were highly important affairs to establish said dominance.

Fahnat's Avatar Ordinarius
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Will the addition of this factions remove other ones that already exist?
    I ask so because there are already so many factions in the mod that i don't see happening without removing some.

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    Correct, the Xianbei and Shanyue will be added in the upcoming 2.2 Patch. And just my personal opinion (take it for what it is worth), I would prefer Chinese warlords and regional leaders over 'barbarians' as factions, simply due to the fact that the Three Kingdoms novel and history was about a civil war between said Chinese warlords and regional leaders. Until some leaders established regional dominance (Yuan Shao, Cao Cao, Sun Ce, etc.), the regional conflicts between smaller warlords were highly important affairs to establish said dominance.

esas 2 facciones seran las ultimas en ser agregadas?

ya que estoy tambien preguntare si alguien piensa hacer una campaña y subirla en youtube o algo

@Fahnat
    No, we are pretty much at our limit for factions, but the Xianbei and Shanyue are being added without removing any existing factions.

@Aragornnn
    tenga en cuenta que solo el inglés se puede usar en el foro principal. otros linguas solo pueden usarse en sus respectivos foros de linguas extranjeros.

To answer your question, the Xianbei and Shanyue will be the last two factions added to this mod. I don’t believe a proper campaign or “Let’s Play” video or mod review has been done for this mod since I returned to the development team this past spring. One should definitely be done by someone for v2.2 once it is released.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I could do it if you want. I just wander if the video should be put on my youtube channel or in the Total War Center channel, altough i don't know who has permission for that.
    Also, playing the 2.1 version i saw that half of the horses textures are in black. Is that an issue that is being fixed for the next version.

Also, also, if you want for me to do the review you could send me the mod early so that i could start play it and look into the features and all.

I’ll talk to you via PM.

As far as the black horses, are there any specific units affected by this? If I’m thinking of the same thing, I think it’s a ‘shadow’ issue with the heavy horse from the Marka team.

Citizen

Blog Entries

It happened whend i was playing with the Sun clan. Their cavalry had that issue.

I’ll talk to you via PM.

As far as the black horses, are there any specific units affected by this? If I’m thinking of the same thing, I think it’s a ‘shadow’ issue with the heavy horse from the Marka team.

Genava's Avatar Senator

As independent factions? Possibly, but it couldn’t be all of them as we won’t have enough faction slots. Right now the Wuhuan, Xianbei, Xiongnu, and Qiang (also Di & Shanyue) already all have unique unit rosters and settlements, but all belong to the rebel faction. Also, each of these ‘barbarian’ factions have several large, roaming stacks led by their historic leaders in their respective areas of influence. But, if we were to include one as a unique faction, it would probably be the Xianbei and/or Xiongnu.
    https://www.docdroid.net/UAhXdak/xiongnu-combined.pdf
    LOTR mod for Shogun 2 Total War (Campaign and Battles!)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIywmAgUxQU

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

Is there any literature on the Shanyue people?
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

I haven’t found anything detailed in English. Everything I’ve found on the Shanyue is pretty generic, such as their economic and agricultural aspects, but nothing on their culture, religion, etc. A lot I’ve had to refer to the Yue people, in general, specifically the ancient kingdom of Minyue.