Thread: Technical question about crash

achwell's Avatar Biarchus

Default Technical question about crash

HI all,

I have a question, I downloaded a mod that was uploaded by someone else (not by the creators of the mod). The mod is set in an interesting period in Asia. The problem is that the mod crashes every time on next turn after the last faction flag,
    I've installed the mod a few times but it keeps crashing now there are other people who have the same problem.
    I have posted below the log and my question is can I solve this problem myself and how can I do it?

System log:

19:53:29.458 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2

19:53:29.458 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===

19:53:29.462 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack

19:53:29.463 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack

19:53:29.464 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack

19:53:29.465 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack

19:53:29.465 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack

19:53:29.465 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack

19:53:39.971 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    mods/yuanmofengyunlu/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line
    4919, column 11

Could'n find level name description string for trait(Factionheir) level(Heir_Apparent).

19:53:39.972 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    mods/yuanmofengyunlu/data/export_descr_character_traits.txt, at line
    7496, column 28

Could'n find effect description string for trait(ARM_B_PERSEC) level(ARM_B_PERSEC04_effects_desc).

19:54:19.005 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    mods/yuanmofengyunlu/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt,
    at line 6001, column 1

The character record Prince )Q WeekPrince is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree.

19:54:19.131 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    mods/yuanmofengyunlu/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt,
    at line 10541, column 85

you have chosen an invalid tile(344, 290) for rebelg (slave)

at line 10548, column 85

trying to attach a non-spy rebele(slave) to settlement Wenzhou(milan) which is invalid.

at line 10555, column 85

trying to attach a non-spy rebele(slave) to settlement Jianning(spain) which is invalid.

19:54:19.136 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    at line 10712, column 85

trying to attach a non-spy rebelc(slave) to settlement Jianchang(sicily) which is invalid.

19:54:19.136 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    at line 10735, column 85

trying to attach a non-spy rebelc(slave) to settlement Shunqing(sicily) which is invalid.

19:54:19.137 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    at line 10742, column 85

trying to attach a non-spy rebelc(slave) to settlement Ganzhou Zhangye(byzantium) which is invalid.

19:54:19.139 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    at line 10813, column 82

trying to attach a non-spy OnSuolei(slave) to settlement Ejin(byzantium) which is invalid.

at line 10821, column 83

trying to attach a non-spy BnSharif-Din(slave) to settlement Kokand(kazakh) which is invalid.

at line 10838, column 84

trying to attach a non-spy BnSharif-Din(slave) to settlement Yemili(mongols) which is invalid.

19:54:19.140 [script.err] [error] Script Error in
    at line 10856, column 84

trying to attach a non-spy BnSharif-Din(slave) to settlement Senior Zhuz(poland) which is invalid.

19:55:55.576 [game.script] [always] Germanicu5 ReallyBadAI v5.7 Running.
    Please upload log and savegames when reporting battle CTDs for SS.

19:59:41.596 [system.rpt] [error]

Default Re: Technical question about crash

Just go into the file and move the character around to see if they are in the right spot. For the export_character_traits.txt then use the TW Text Editor, Cleaner, and Validator to clean up that file.

Hi sullivanclan1,

Thanks for your response, I'm new to MTWII files and modding them

I can't find the lines in the file? for example (at line 10838, column 84) can't see those lines in the file, this mod has been translated with google translate,
    could this possibly be the cause? that maybe only the text files are translated and maybe not the files in world map/ imperial campaign? and what program is TW Text Editor where can I download it?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

None of the reported errors are fatal: the crash is 4 minutes after the last entry.

Why the devs thought you could place spies in other faction's settlements in descr_strat is a mystery to me. Simply changing those co-ordinates by one will place them next to the settlement.
    The missing trait descriptions can be added to data\text\export_vsvn.txt

A trace log may shed more light: open the mod's CFG file with Notepad and change level = * error to level = * trace, save and try again. The log will be huge, compress it before attaching it, or upload it somewhere and provide a link.

Hi Gigantus,

I changed cfg file and indeed get quite a huge log after launching the mod, it's about this mod (https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-fall-...f-yuan-english) I will post the zip file here

thank you for your help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

It seems to be connected to an "adoption" event - at least there are a ton of traits at the end suggesting that. The only thing I can imagine that might cause a crash here is missing text in the relevant data\text files. But this is a default event so it's unlikely.
    Which leaves the trait triggers. You can test that by making a back up copy of data\export_descr_character_traits.txt - then search for trigger in that file and delete all content from that line on to the end. Save and then see if your game still crashes. Should that work then save the game, exit and restore the original file. Keep the edited file for next time....

Hi Giantus,

I removed all triggers that said adoption and saved the file, then started the game and got a crash only this time not on next turn but immediately after choosing a faction and starting the game

Blog Entries

I am guessing something went wrong with your deleting. The purpose of deleting ALL triggers was to avoid just such an issue. I t was also supposed to help you with continuing your campaign, not starting a new one.

Hope you made a back up of the file - do try again but this time delete all triggers and then try to continue your old campaign.

Tip:You can select everything down to the bottom by placing the cursor at the beginning of the first line you want to delete and then press Ctlr+Shift+End

Hi Giantus,

I had already made a backup

I have removed all triggers, but then the game hangs at startup and the hourglass keeps running, I kept running but it has already been running for 10 minutes.
    I have to start a new campaing because I was never able to create a new campaing because the game crashed right away.

Blog Entries

Maybe give me a link to the mod and I'll see if I get the time to try it myself.

Hi Giantus,
    I downloaded the mod here https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-fall-...f-yuan-english The mod looks good and I really think it's worth it, these makers have made several mods one of which I'm trying to translate
    thanks for your help and effort

Blog Entries

Trying to download now. It's from April this year according to modDB, but might be way older in the original form. 6.3GB, wonder what kind of a mess that might be, unless it got lots of movies and custom sound

Hahahaha I'm curious, I think it's a nice mod and it looks good in the beginning

Blog Entries

Spelling mistake in historic_events file (missing letter in XIONGJUJIANGGNAN event, lines 652\3 in file) will lead to fatal error when the event triggers in the script. Easy to fix yourself, it will most likely get you past the crash.

I also fixed numerous issues in the script itself.

In a day or two I will release a small installer, after more checks are concluded, that will also create a desktop shortcut using my universal batch file, eg it will be compatible for Steam as well as disk users. Seen some basic menu text that is still Chinese and will sort that out as well.

Otherwise a typical Chinese mod - a total mess where basic housekeeping is concerned compounded by vastly oversized model files. They even 'borrowed' some stuff from my 1648 mod....

Edit: that was a difficult birth. While the above historic_event issue is certainly fatal it will only happen after a good number of turns. As it turns out the crash at the first end turn was due to corrupted event text files, eg event_titles and event_strings. It certainly got me into the next turn when replacing them with the default files. You can simply delete them to test it.

Installer is in the works with the following stuff:
    - creates Steam compatible desktop shortcut
    - fixes fatal error in historic_events
    - fixes numerous format issues in campaign_script
    - fixes trait issues in campaign_script
    - fixes generic text still showing in Chinese
    - disables intro movies
    - provides original fonts
    - corrects unit issues in Zealandia custom battle
    - fixes numerous issues in export_descr_ancillaries
    - fixes numerous issues in export_character_traits and export_vnvs
    - replaces event_titles and event_strings
    - uses quotes from Rise of three Kingdoms (M2TW)

Edit 2: download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/fa079...h_1.0.exe/file

It's one of my click through installers. I also posted it in the ModDB link of the mod.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 13, 2023 at 06:40 AM.

Hi Giantus,
    Thank you so much for your help and effort and time I really appreciate this,
    I will download and install your exe file tomorrow and let you know if it worked.
    The mod really appealed to me because of the time of the Mongols in China in the early Middle Ages, I have not yet been able to find another mod from the early Middle Ages in China, in ModDB you can find several Chinese mods,
    at the moment I am trying to translate a mod into English but there are a lot of text files and that will take some time hahaha

Cheers

Hi Gigantus,

it works well so far, I have not encountered any problems except for missing some text in the game, thank you very much for your help. I'll keep you informed

Gigantus rules

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

(I see you noticed my little Easter Egg)