Downloads: Snipafist's strategic AI and balancing mod

Snipafist's strategic AI and balancing mod

Uploaded by Snipafist - January 26, 2007
Author Author Snipafist
File Size File Size 116.6 KB
Downloads Downloads 713
+ Download
Greetings all, I've polished up my own personal mod enough that I feel it's ready to hit the streets. It is mainly a series of changes to the export_descr_units and buildings files, but also some minor changes to the descr_events and descr_strat file. I'll run through all of what I did and explain why, and the download link is available at the end of the first post.

The primary inspiration for this smaller mod was to solve some of the balance problems in Medieval as well as slow the game down a little bit. Getting the AI to recruit decent armies was also a huge incentive, and I've actually succeeded in this area. Let's go on to the laundry list, then:

1) Farms. Farms now offer +X free upkeep slots as well as +X to food production. The ideological reasoning was sound - the more developed agriculture was, the more landed serfs and freeman farmers one had control over that could be levied, and the more militia troops could be easily fed. The game balance rationale here was twofold - castles needed some buffing, and farms needed an incentive to be taken in cities. By upping the free upkeep limit as well as upping farm production, they're actually competitive choices now for either settlement type. Obviously, castle troops needed to include some "free_upkeep_unit" units now, so I gave them a SMALL smattering of units that they can support for free. The units in question had to be lower-upkeep generally early units that were included into forces with little to no training. Peasant troops were obviously in, as were enslaved troops (Nubians), and naturally proficient conscripts (like Spanish Javelinmen and Egyptian Desert Archers). The following castle units are "free upkeep" now, provided you have the farms/tourney fields to support them:
peasants, peasant archers, peasant crossbowmen, javelinmen, levy spearmen, highland rabble, woodsmen, Nubian spearmen, Sudanese Javelinmen, Turkish Javelinmen, Azabs, Desert Archers, Nubian Archers, Lusitanian Javelinmen, and Slav Levies. That is all. No mounted troops are supported whatsoever.

2)Castle Walls no longer provide any troops past the basic 2 of the lowest-tier cavalry. Any units only previously available from castle walls has been moved to the corresponding barracks (if dismounted) or stables (if mounted) choice. Stables were being completely overlooked and when they weren't being overlooked, they were cavalry spamming with a 7+knight-strong recruitment pool. The madness had to end. To compensate, castle wall upgrades will now always provide +1 recruitment slot over their predecessors, maxing out at 5 recruitment slots at a citadel. This ensures that castles remain excellent unit production centers no matter what stage of the game the player is in.

3) War machine and cannon recruitment buildings are now city-only buildings and cannot be taken by castles at all. This represents the required pool of skilled freeman craftsmen not available in a city. This also effects how the AI recruits, which I'll get to later.
3a) War engines now have a pool limit of 2, but come 50% larger (3 engines rather than 2) and at 50% greater cost. This makes them worth the army slot they consume, and affects how the AI recruits as well. The only exception is the Monster Bombard, which only had one cannon, which I have doubled to two at a 50% cost inrease. The reasoning is that one monster bombard was adequate enough on its own to tear down defenses before, so two is overkill. Charging twice for unnecessary extra force is redundant, but a cost upgrade was warranted to keep it in line with the others.

4) Later wall upgrades, namely the large and huge city walls and the fortress and citadel castle walls, are now time-dependent. Large city walls and fortress walls are available 100 years past the start date at 1180 and the huge city walls and citadel upgrade are available 200 years past the start date at 1280. I have done this to intentionally slow down the game slightly, as well as give lesser factions a chance to "catch up." It is incredibly difficult to support a large empire if you do not have the highest level buildings, so expansion must be kept moderate and the corresponding units will also be kept reasonable. To a certain degree, you (and any rich AI factions) are forced into the same era as your competitors, so you cannot turbo-money your way up to late-game elite units and simply destroy the AI's still-early units. The noted effect of this change is pretty great, and I think it adds a lot.

5) Gunpowder's discovery has been pushed back to 1280 as well. Gunpowder weaponry started appearing in earnest around the early 1300s, and I thought having mid 13th-century cannon duels was more than a little ridiculous. This dramatically inreases the useable lifespan of basic wood-constructed siege engines and makes it harder for players to blitz through the AI earlier on.

6) Merchant income was increased fairly strongly (roughly 2-3x as much as vanilla). This isn't unusual, and is typical of most mods. This is good because it makes merchants useful for you, but also because the AI likes to have a large number of agents and otherwise its merchant-recruiting is simply a liability. Now it is an advantage.

7) AI "personalities" were almost all changed. The vanilla personalities did not encourage the AI to build armies that maximized its advantages. Further, all "caesar" and "stalin" AI personalities have been removed, as they caused the AI to over-recruit siege engines to an insane degree (armies of roughly 1/2 siege engines were not uncommon). Changes have been very noticeable. Eastern factions now recruit armies heavily based on cavalry with great archer support rather than a load of crappy infantry, for example. Scotland is a swarming menace if it gets rolling. Try it out and see!

8) Changes to the AI's army composition are greater than the sum of their parts. The AI is set to a military build policy. This is smart because it means the AI is always trying to compete militarily with the player so as to discourage being rushed too early. This is stupid because it keeps the AI always recruiting out of everything it can. By giving castles a recruitment boost and limiting siege engines to cities only, I've seen armies composed of almost entirely castle troops with the occasional siege engine or militia unit for support. Previously, the AI made more militia and far more siege engines (remember that both castles and cities were cranking war machines out) than it needed, so they were thrown into poor armies to simply get rid of them. No longer. Further, the AI's building choices are no longer stupid - stables are necessary to compete in terms of cavalry and farms are good in cities due to their free upkeep slots. Further, because of building limitations by era, the human player has a hard time getting an immense lead over the AI, making battles more challenging. Finally, because the AI now recruits more intelligently for its faction strengths, the armies you see are far better.

9) Increased movement. I increased base movement points from 80 up to 100. This is not enough to significantly change movement, but it is enough to get the AI to succesfully combine stacks/surround your armies when it needs to. Of course, it still has the occasional "six tiny stacks" problem, but the incidences of this are much diminished.

10) Minor character changes. I use the MEDIFIX character traits mod, with a couple small changes - I included some base princess triggers so they're not all hideous Gorgons, included Orthodox Bishops (which I imagine must be an oversight), and a couple other minor tweaks. Note that generals governing a city a significant distance from the capital can become increasingly discontent and may even rebel! This means that any player trying to conquer the world must have wise capital placement and wise useage of loyal (and probably chivalrous) characters for your far-flung cities. This creates an additional brake on acquiring a super-empire easily (and is characterful and fun), but isn't likely to happen too often if you pay any attention.

11) Diplomacy. I use a slightly modded version of Shaba Wangy's infamous 1.4 Mod. Works like a charm. Enemies typically behave sensibly (obviously not perfect, but better than anything else I've tried as of yet, including the Ultimate AI mod) and there is enough war to be interesting (factions do in fact wipe one another out without your help) without it being insane. If you are not defending yourself properly, you WILL be attacked, but you can cultivate trusted alliances if you're attentive about it.

12) Unit balance changes. I tried to run with a light touch here, but I feel the need to create a sub-list to explain what I did and why.
-Conquistadores are now available out of castle stables once the "world is round" event occurs. It makes no sense to defeat Aztecs and THEN start recruiting Conquistadores. Use them against Europeans ahistorically if you wish.
-Cossack Musketeers have been moved to the city royal barracks and replaced basic Russian Musketeers. It was simply too good to get musketeers 100 years before everyone else off of your walls.
-Ottoman Infantry now have good stamina. This encourages them in their dual role of decent archer/decent infantry. Previously they just get tired too easily.
-Dismounted Polish Nobles had their stats raised to make them comprable to mounted Polish Nobles and the cost increased accordingly. Now they're worth recruiting.
-Strzelcy and Mounted Crossbowmen ranged attack upped to 7 to make them worth taking.
-Hussars given a fast mount to make them worth taking and to fit their description.
-Nubian Archers and Spearmen given good stamina to somewhat encourage their use, as well as being "free upkeep" castle units. They're still pretty poor compared to units that come before them, though.
-Men at Arms are now upkeep 175 because they weren't competitive with Italian knight choices whatsoever before.
-All two-handed non-pike weapons (greatswords, great axes, halberds, etc.) are now armor piercing. That's what they were made for, and otherwise you've got units that just flat-out aren't useful.
- Byzantinian Spearmen were given a bit of a boost to make them slightly better than basic Sergeants, but worse than Armoured Sergeants, much like the other Eastern European spearmen. Otherwise there was very little incentive to build a Byzantinian barracks at all, and Byzantinian cities were remarkably weak against a mostly-cav siege assault.
-Kataphractoi had their armour increased by one point to keep them competitive and because it makes sense when they're completely covered in it.
-Camel Spearmen upkeep reduced to 250. Determined Moorish tribesmen on camels do not cost more to upkeep than European knights, thanks. Encourages their use as a niche unit (anti-cav cav).
-Azab defense skill raised to 4, attack raised to 6. They're still god-awful, but at least they're conceivably useful as last-ditch castle defense infantry.
-Zweihanders available at Barracks level rather than Armoury, as their armor rating is consistent with that level and Dismounted Gothic Knights (which are now available at the Armoury) are superior and fulfill the same role.

13) Explorer's Guild now produces effects. It is supposed to produce higher trade values and a faster movement rate and did not. Thus, I have given it the "road_level_2" ability which converts the roads in its province to highways (granting faster movement and better trade), and trade bonuses of 1 and 2 for the Master Guild and HQ guild, respectively. Works like a charm now, and it's a guild you actually will wish to pursue in sprawling provinces or landlocked trading provinces (like Dijon). In terms of raw trade value, merchant's guilds come out on top because of their merchant-augmenting effects and lesser cavalry recruitment, but the Explorer's Guilds have their place now.

14) If anyone wishes to include any of the tactical AI mods (sinuhet or darth) or horsearcher's wonderful sky mod, be my guest. I felt I only needed to include what was necessary to produce the balancing and AI-augmenting elements.

And that should be it. Let me know what you think of it!

Installation instructions: simply drop all the files into your "data" folder, with the exception of the descr_strat file and the descr_events file. Those must go into your data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign folder. Make sure you've created backups of the relevant files and that you've unpacked properly and are either using a mod switchover or the --io switch.

Images

None

Comments

Trifler
January 27, 2007 at 08:40 PM
Sounds like a great mod. Just one thought though:

Explorer's Guilds do have an effect in vanilla: Generals who visit cities with an Explorer's Guild have a high chance of gaining a bonus to movement trait.
Snipafist
January 28, 2007 at 07:06 PM
That is true. But unfortunately, it's not really worthwhile compared to the other guilds. Other guilds offer helpful ancillaries and traits as well as concrete benefits, and the explorers' guild did not.
Snipafist
January 31, 2007 at 04:53 PM
One further note for those wishing to download this mod: the era restrictions result in a slow game, with large numbers of armies towards the end of each era (money piling up). If you want a more medium-speed game without the late-era money pile-up, feel free to erase the event requirements by the higher-level walls in the descr_buildings file (should correspond to first_rudder and gunpowder_discovered). Without these event requirements, I still find the game to move at a slower pace due to gunpowder being founded later, castles depleting population faster (makes it harder to upgrade to get better troops quickly), and castle recruitment buildings being more important (means you don't upgrade armies as soon as you upgrade walls, you need to upgrade walls and then upgrade your barracks/stables/ranges). So if medium speed is more your thing, feel free to drop the eras. It's still a fun mod with or without them.
mos
January 31, 2007 at 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly, but when I choose Single Player->Grand Campaign, it pops up a dialog that says "Please select an item from the list." and doesn't let me do anything else.

I extracted the "Snipafist Mod" folder, made a .cfg file that says mod = Snipafist Mod, and I launch the game with "medieval2.exe @Snipafist.cfg"

Any thoughts on what might be wrong?
kleemann
February 14, 2007 at 04:02 AM
The game had a problem when AI conscripted its army with 10 or more siege engine AI can use it but this can't do it well. What i did, I reduced the recruit time for siege engine to 1 per 20 turns and limited the allowed number to 1. I also extended the tech tree of siege engine. Draw new icons and so.
Now if you build siege building you have 1 avalible siege engine to recruit. The game has fiew siege engines and more infantry now. But when one comes avalible the AI wil recruit it.

1. Ballista 2 engines 90 men cost 370 upkeep 150
2. Ballista Battery 6 engines 90 men cost 1370 upkeep 150 - it is very good unit to bombard, extremelt devasting because it is accurete. Side effect is that to operate with 6 engines takes time. This balances the usage.

3. Catapult has 2 engines
4 Catapult Battery has 6 engines also devastin but not that much as ballist because it is quite in accurate but the mass fire is cool.

5. Trebuchec 4 engines
I did not make battery for it because it was not nessesary.

6. I increased stone wall strengt 10X
7. Increased the cost of walls 2-4 times. AI has no problem with it but the playes had

8. Also i increased all cavalry cost +1000 and upkeep cost +100

It works and i'm happy. Maybe these ideas makses your mod better? its up to you. Many idesa as farming free upkeep is very good idea i will use it definately.
ylq123
November 21, 2017 at 12:37 AM
shivering. nike mercurial Sleep at night mbt shoes outlet they had to polo ralph lauren outlet online pick up the baseball jerseys wild ray ban sunglasses cow skechers dung designer handbags and vans shoes dead branches birkenstock taschen deutschland fire nike outlet heating, michael kors bags people minnesota timberwolves surrounded roshe run by nfl redskins a swarovski circle. michael kors outlet online Everyone tired adidas with nfl rams eyes skechers are not adidas shoes open, coach black friday relying on cheap michael kors the sleep nfl seahawks on ray ban sunglasses the nike.se sleepy. The polo ralph lauren weather is nba jerseys too coach bags cold, the lunette oakley pas cher burning nfl broncos of the fire the coach outlet online smaller the jerseys from china comrades hollister of soccer outlet online the nfl vikings legs plein outlet as cleveland cavaliers jerseys far russell westbrook jersey as longchamp handbags possible ray ban black friday by orlando magic the nike free run side pandora rings of hollister the nike air max fire, and nfl steelers sometimes tommy hilfiger pants replica rolex burning barbour mens jackets a gafas oakley few kate spade holes nike outlet store do michael kors not dsquared2 jeans know, until hermes outlet the michael kors handbags biting nfl 49ers cold washington wizards wind wake barbour mens jackets up, only to find rayban a hollister kids layer converse chucks of timberland shoes thick pile Of the snow, nike free shoes even reebok the eyelashes nfl saints are air max 2014 white, like ralph lauren outlet a converse snowman. Sometimes michael kors australia frozen juicy couture really new balance shoes boil, katespade outlet and simply kate spade outlet surrounded los angeles clippers by longchamp taschen a coach purses pile of ray ban sunglasses days nfl bills south polo outlet online of swarovski crystal the scarpe hogan sea to adidas shoes outlet put oakley sunglasses Longmen Chen coach factory outlet online to. Forget nike roshe the fatigue, nfl browns forget mia jersey the cold, nfl buccaneers the common nfl lions ideal swarovski jewelry inspired polo ralph us, long champ the cheap oakley sunglasses days have not adidas superstar yet oakley on the fake rolex march cheap basketball shoes and continue bottega veneta to longchamp march hogan shoes outlet ... cheap jerseys ... oakley outlet mountain givenchy bags outlet seems to burberry handbags climb philadelphia 76ers jersey higher, the oakley black friday road is rolex difficult nfl packers to nfl jerseys walk hollister clothing store day replica watches by salvatore ferragamo day. pistons jersey Each asics gel comrades are softball bats clearly swarovski aware of ray ban outlet the valentino shoes outlet difficulties baseball bats on shoes on sale the womens hoodies improper nike air max 2014 Red christian louboutin shoes Army, when michael kors purses the true religion Red longchamp outlet Army louboutin shoes is nba jerseys not north face outlet afraid of difficulties, nike.de we must turn nike outlet over lunette ray ban pas cher the mountain, this pandora is asics the cheap glasses character ralph lauren outlet of nike air max 2015 the jerseys from china Red nfl chargers Army true religion jeans outlet soldiers. The longchamp Red Army's twenty thousand omega watches five ray bans thousand coach factory outlet online miles michael kors handbags of christian louboutin the Long nets jersey March, nike online is cheap jerseys really unprecedented air jordans in nfl raiders the history michael kors purses of human war iphone 5 cases feat! Red oakley Army converse outlet spirit michael kors bags will burberry outlet online always shop coach factory accompany levis outlet store me!Red Army oakley sunglasses outlet is not afraid of nike air max expedition coach factory online difficult, nfl jaguars thousands of miles prada sunglasses only bos jersey busy. nike max 'Whenever bottega I hear nike huarache this passionate long march, north face my ralph lauren factory store eyes will rayban emerge true religion outlet out pandora of this michael kors bags group dsquared2 shoes of adidas.se scenes: michael kors outlet online Luding mcm bags bridge. prada outlet Dadu kobe bryant jersey River louboutin collection the north face of their louboutin outlet brave figure; designer handbags snow-capped mountains, cheap oakley sunglasses mountains and ralph lauren uk rivers coach outlet left watches their polo ralph lauren perseverance and oakley outlet online dedication polo ralph lauren outlet of hugo boss outlet the replica handbags footsteps; four strange timberland homme soldiers, mcm backpack outlet Chishui River recorded michael kors bags their burberry online shop victory after michaelkors.com the babyliss smile; giuseppe shoes the nfl bengals army salomon schuhe joined coach outlet forces, puma outlet store will tommy hilfiger online shop be stone island store willing michael kors to tommy hilfiger song and dance oakley sunglasses cheap to mcm bags congratulate polo ralph lauren outlet them coach outlet to roshe run create human barbour women jackets myth. mizuno running shoes 70 juicy couture clothings years toronto raptors ago, oakley sunglasses outlet the milwaukee bucks ancestors instyler ionic styler with calvin klein the new balance blood and cheap ray ban life cheap oakley to pandora write fred perry shoes a nfl texans shaking, charlotte hornets jersey sobbing coach factory outlet online God of relojes especiales the huaraches Long occhiali oakley March song; jimmy choo shoes seventy the north face years roche run later, ralph lauren as the master zapatillas nike of nfl bears the new ralph lauren century, ray ban we will make what kind san antonio spurs of bcbg dresses answer? Today, we revisit pandora jewellery the hogan Long March cheap oakley Of the history, not bcbg max azria to barbour outlet call ray ban sunglasses outlet everyone to prada handbags use ralph lauren uk the nike tn requin footsteps memphis grizzlies to measure the northface long michaelkors.com journey, ralph lauren online but jerseys from china to use beats by dre our louboutin hearts thomas sabo uk to nfl azcardinals feel, versace outlet to ralph lauren comprehend the spirit jimmy choo of the vans outlet Long March, to ua stephen curry inherit, air max to nike store carry forward nfl panthers the kevin durant shoeskobe bryant shoes spirit of coach outlet sale the the north face outlet Long mcm outlet March to red bottoms cultivate our versace shoes outlet new era hilfiger of the nike mercurial vapor Long air jordan March coach factory outlet online spirit. birkenstock taschen outlet Firm replica watches belief prada outlet and confidence nike huaraches is the nike air max spiritual power nfl patriots of the louboutins Red indiana pacers Army to nfl falcons overcome vibram shoes the nfl dolphins hardships. giuseppe zanotti On burberry handbags the long nike free shoes march, ray ban zonnebril the air max ancestors ray ban sbocco at thomas sabo the nike air foot dansko shoes of fendi outlet online the utah jazz Chinese ralph lauren outlet online marching a michael kors solid land, pandora bracelets the michael kors hands hollister co of the free run banner of adidas.de national revitalization, air jordan retro the hilfiger outlet hearts of the supra shoes motherland of burberry outlet online the dream nfl titans of new balance store the chicago bulls rise burberry of cheap true religion the cheap true religion motherland. birkenstock outlet It is ralph lauren this north face pas cher belief that they michael kors outlet online sale will tory burch sale be roshes tightly together coach factory outlet online to build marc jacobs handbags a destroy nba jerseys the beats audio steel fidget spinner Great iphone 4s cases Wall. tommy hilfiger outlet stores It is this burberry outlet belief nfl chiefs that knicks jerseys support mcm handbags them burberry outlet online through polo ralph lauren the difficult, marc jacobs outlet through cheap eyeglasses the nike free 5.0 dangerous, out of north face jackets hope, new balance out prada of true religion jeans women a nike air force blue sky. Today, burberry we have michael kors v?skor no burberry handbags snow burberry uk and grass chrome hearts jewelry in front of us. reebok shoes But the mont blanc pens road coach outlet ahead ferragamo shoes is still cheap nike shoes twists ed hardy clothing and turns. Building hollister online shop deutschland a ralph lauren tracksuits harmonious nfl giants socialist swarovski society michael kors purses is nike roshe the oakley only michael kors outlet online way hermes bags for China coach outlet to rolex replica prosper and abercrombie prosper, timberland boots and it is sac jerseys another great and arduous woolrich outlet online long march in the new converse shoes historical ecco women shoes conditions. free running For the air max 95 new www.tommyhilfiger.nl Long ralph lauren shirts March, we lacoste polos also need the north face strong hermes birkin will, air max shoes firm nike.com belief cheap jerseys and puma confidence. swarovski australia Hard nfl colts work, ferragamo willing new balance to fred perry sacrifice nike air force the revolutionary ray ban sunglasses spirit of kanye west shoes the gsw jerseys Red nike.dk Army timberland outlet is supra footwear the tory burch shoes fundamental guarantee wholesale handbags of chi hair victory. On uhren the burberry bags outlet way to ralph lauren polo the ray ban long portland trail blazers march, in nfl cowboys the face of the dallas mavericks jersey powerful beats by dre enemy replica watches and the montre pas cher hungry air max 90 natural adidas neo environment, nop jerseys the nike air max Red Army, dre beats by michael kors outlet online sale virtue of nfl jets this spirit, oakley prescription conquered michael kors outlet the great difficulties, michael kors canada defeated cheap oakley sunglasses the philipp plein clothes enemy, nike air achieved the fitflop ultimate victory, created skechers womens shoes a salvatore ferragamo new path armani clothing for the Chinese nfl eagles revolution rayban sunglasses The vans schuhe Today, intoof flat iron the clothing websites Red Army houston rockets soldiers. adidas sneakers The ray ban outlet Red air jordan shoes Army's twenty jordan shoes thousand soccer shoes five longchamp black friday thousand celine handbags miles of the denver nuggets Long burberry sale March, longchamp outlet is cheap michael kors really unprecedented jordans for sale in nfl ravens the history north face backpacks of jordan release dates human cheap jerseys war suns jerseys feat! michael kors bags Red Army ferragamo outlet spirit oakley sunglasses will always nike outlet accompany barbour women jackets me!
ray ban wayfarer