Diplomacy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    Cornelia Metella (age 50) writes down the Senate’s declaration and sails to Macedon where she enters the Royal Palace at Pella.

Cornelia unrolls the scroll before King Antigonus the One-Legged and says, “Rome cannot tolerate a Macedonian presence on the Adriatic Sea, nor your attempts to seize control of the entrance to the Black Sea from our ally, Pergamon. Therefore, the Senate and People of Rome declare war upon Macedon to secure the Adriatic Sea and protect our ally’s interests.”

OOC: Rome declares war on Macedon.

Cornelia Metella stops by at the great city of Pergamon to discuss war plans with Rome’s most noble ally. King Attalus the Good (age 85), however, is in poor health and can’t meet with the Roman ambassador. Princess Eurydice the Fair (age 31) receives the Roman lady in the throne room instead, where Cornelia presents a map to her.

“Rome proposes this division of Macedonian lands with Pergamon. Would this be acceptable to you, Friend of Rome?”

OOC: Hey Rogue, will Pergamon respect Rome’s claims? Or will they just conquer whatever Macedonian regions they can?

Cornelia Metella then travels across the Black Sea, through Armenia, and across the Caspian Sea to the great city of Nisa in Parthia. She requests an audience with King Arsaces the Ass (age 44). Contrary to what his detractors say, Arsaces claims his epithet describe how strong and durable he is. Like the animal. “I’m talking about the animal, damn it!”
    When granted entrance to the court, the Roman diplomat bows and says, “The Senate and People of Rome offer an alliance to you, o mighty king of Parthia. In the near future, Rome will go to war with the Seleucids. And when that time comes, we will support your claims on Syria and the city of Antioch. What say you?”

OOC: Rome spends 1 prestige to form an alliance with Parthia.
  2. ♞Rogue General♞
    ♞Rogue General♞
    Dice log (turn 25)
    Cornelia Metella stops by at the great city of Pergamon to discuss war plans with Rome’s most noble ally. King Attalus the Good (age 85), however, is in poor health and can’t meet with the Roman ambassador. Princess Eurydice the Fair (age 31) receives the Roman lady in the throne room instead, where Cornelia presents a map to her.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

“Rome proposes this division of Macedonian lands with Pergamon. Would this be acceptable to you, Friend of Rome?”
    Yes, Pergamon agrees to invade from the East (by land).

But war can be unpredictable, so if borders get "messy" Pergamon is open to swapping regions in order to establish the desired border.

Roman advisors warn of the obvious: Macedon is likely to prioritize re-conquering regions closest to its Capital and Cities. With this agreement with Pergamon, there is danger that Pergamon's army quickly gobbles up the eastern extremities of Macedon's Kingdom while Rome gets bogged down by the main Macedonian forces intent on protecting Pella.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Cats
    Cornelia Metella then travels across the Black Sea, through Armenia, and across the Caspian Sea to the great city of Nisa in Parthia. She requests an audience with King Arsaces the Ass (age 44). Contrary to what his detractors say, Arsaces claims his epithet describe how strong and durable he is. Like the animal. “I’m talking about the animal, damn it!”
    When granted entrance to the court, the Roman diplomat bows and says, “The Senate and People of Rome offer an alliance to you, o mighty king of Parthia. In the near future, Rome will go to war with the Seleucids. And when that time comes, we will support your claims on Syria and the city of Antioch. What say you?”
    Parthia accepts Rome's offer of Alliance! [5] They eagerly await the opportunity to expand their empire to the Levantine Sea.

Seeing enemies approaching from both East and West, Macedon sets aside long-time rivalries and offers an alliance to Epirus. [1] The alliance is rejected! Epirus is already dealing with crisis in the south, and they're not eager to invite the wrath of the Romans as well.

Macedon now approaches Pontus with offer of alliance. Unreliable as they've been in the past, the King knows tension is high in Anatolia. Certainly it is in Pontus's interest to limit Pergamon's eastwards expansion? [2] But Pontus is not interested in an alliance at the moment. It appears Macedon must hold its own this year...

Meanwhile the Seleucid Empire offers Epirus a peace treaty. [1] Epirus rejects the offer! King Antiochus wonders if they're still upset about their City being conquered.
  3. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    Phew, thank the gods! Those are some lucky dice rolls for Rome.

Cornelia Metella bestows the title "Friend of Rome" upon King Arsaces the Ass of Parthia. She has one last request before she returns to Rome: "O mighty king, would you be able to send one of your assassins to eliminate King Antigonus the One-Legged of Macedon? The sooner Rome and Pergamon can conquer Macedon, the sooner we will be able to attack the Seleucid Empire and enable you to take Antioch."

OOC: Can Parthia send an assassin against Macedon, pretty please GM?
  4. High Fist
    High Fist
    Carthage proposes an alliance with the Gallaecii
  5. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    Cornelia Metella arrives at the royal palace in Amaseia, Pontus.

As the sun begins to set, she is granted entrance. The Roman ambassador bows to King Mithridates the Poisoner, who is shrouded in shadow.
    “The Senate and People of Rome offer you an alliance, o mighty king of Pontus. It is known that you despise King Antiochus the Tidy. Rome is preparing for a great war against the Seleucid Empire and will therefore help you in killing Antiochus.”

“You are friends with King Attalus the Good.” Mithridates spits the last word out like it’s vile. “I hate Attalus and his princess, Eurydice the Fair.” He spits that last word out too. “If I ally with Rome, it will prevent me from attacking Pergamon. And I vow that, one day, I will storm Pergamon and burn it to the ground! I will capture Eurydice and have her flayed so her fair skin will upholster my throne!”

Cornelia feels queasy but forces herself to continue speaking. “What about King Antiochus the Tidy? Wouldn’t you also like to see his demise?”

“Of course! I hate that squeaky-clean bastard!”

“Well, Rome offers to help Pontus crush the Seleucid armies and conquer their lands. I can guarantee you that at least one of your archnemeses will be vanquished if you ally with us. Whom do you despise more – the Attalids or the Seleucids?”

OOC: Rome spends 1 prestige to form an alliance with Pontus.
  6. ♞Rogue General♞
    ♞Rogue General♞
    Dice log (turn 26)

Quote Originally Posted by High Fist

[4] The Gallaeci accept Carthage's offer! They are pleased with the assurance that the famed Carthaginian navy will assist the Gallaeci in the event of any conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Cats View Post
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Cornelia Metella arrives at the royal palace in Amaseia, Pontus.

As the sun begins to set, she is granted entrance. The Roman ambassador bows to King Mithridates the Poisoner, who is shrouded in shadow.
    “The Senate and People of Rome offer you an alliance, o mighty king of Pontus. It is known that you despise King Antiochus the Tidy. Rome is preparing for a great war against the Seleucid Empire and will therefore help you in killing Antiochus.”

“You are friends with King Attalus the Good.” Mithridates spits the last word out like it’s vile. “I hate Attalus and his princess, Eurydice the Fair.” He spits that last word out too. “If I ally with Rome, it will prevent me from attacking Pergamon. And I vow that, one day, I will storm Pergamon and burn it to the ground! I will capture Eurydice and have her flayed so her fair skin will upholster my throne!”

Cornelia feels queasy but forces herself to continue speaking. “What about King Antiochus the Tidy? Wouldn’t you also like to see his demise?”

“Of course! I hate that squeaky-clean bastard!”

“Well, Rome offers to help Pontus crush the Seleucid armies and conquer their lands. I can guarantee you that at least one of your archnemeses will be vanquished if you ally with us. Whom do you despise more – the Attalids or the Seleucids?”

OOC: Rome spends 1 prestige to form an alliance with Pontus.
    As much as he longs for the downfall of the Seleucid Empire, King Mithridates appears to be less-than-thrilled at the prospect of working alongside Pergamon. [1] Pontus declines Rome's offer of alliance.

But Rome is not alone in courting an alliance with Pontus...

Macedon offers an alliance to Pontus as well [3] but is rejected.

Macedon also offers an alliance to Epirus, [3] but is rejected once more!

With no one coming to Macedon's aid, King Antigonus III begins to finally consider an alliance with the Seleucid Empire. If the Seleucids could be drawn into the conflict, their presence in both Greece and Anatolia would undoubtedly distract both Rome and Pergamon, and likely save Macedon from otherwise-certain destruction. But it must be as a last resort... King Antigonus the one-legged will wait until the following year before approaching the Seleucids with this alliance offer.

In the meantime, the Seleucid Empire offers an olive branch to Epirus to end armed conflict. [5] Wishing to avoid total destruction (Sparta's demise still fresh in the minds of the people), the
    Kingdom of Epirus accepts the Peace Treaty.

Baktria, never even having committed troops to the Pyrrhic War effort, sees no point in continuing hostilities. It offers the Seleucid Empire a Peace Treaty to officially close this chapter of history. [6] The Seleucid Empire (and client state, Athens) accepts the Peace Treaty.

7. Lord of Cats
    Lord of Cats
    245 BC
    Pergamon

Eurydice the Fair

King Attalus the Good has passed away at the age of 88. Eurydice the Fair becomes Queen of Pergamon at the age of 34. The Roman Senate bestows the title of Friend of Rome upon her and hopes she will rule as justly and wisely as her adoptive father. King Mithridates the Poisoner wishes Eurydice ill-health and advises her to double the number of her food tasters.

There are rumors, much to Censor Catulus’ chagrin, that Queen Eurydice finds war ugly and would like the Macedonian War to be concluded soon, by either a quick victory or a peace settlement. The Senate promises to provide a quick victory.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12