View Poll Results: Are you partial to a bit of Political correctness?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes! it is vital to keep the status quo of or modern society!

0 0%
  • It has more benefits than downsides.

12 12.63%
  • Neither here, nor there.

9 9.47%
  • It has more downsides than benefits.

22 23.16%
  • No! It is restricting and a down-right nuisance!

52 54.74%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Political correctness: required or repugnant?

Icon5 Political correctness: required or repugnant?

As modernisation dawns on democracy, a neologism is coined: "Political Correctness". Supporting human equality or suppressing freedom of speech, arguably the most important right of all. What is the take on it? I leave the decision to you.
    Last edited by shibbieNIS; May 27, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod... and he'll break it up for firewood, or swap it for a fish.

"I grabbed a pile of dust, and holding it up, foolishly asked for as many birthdays as the grains of dust, I forgot to ask that they be years of youth. "
    — Ovid (Metamorphoses)

Default Re: Political correctness: required or repugnant?

Complaints about political correctness are invariably a cloak for injustice, indecency and unfairness. Find any red-faced croaker flecked with spittle scoffing and growling at their leashes over PC and you will find wrongs being righted, evils cast into the wind and villainy exposed before the face of righteousness.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

@Cluny the Scourge: hmm i see your point but i don't agree entirely. PC is effectively stopping what I like to call "right to free speech". I do agree that people that people who blame people based on race (or such-like) alone are clearly wrong, I just feel the fact that it is so precise and overly strict that it is becoming a bit of a farce. can you agree with that?
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod... and he'll break it up for firewood, or swap it for a fish.

"I grabbed a pile of dust, and holding it up, foolishly asked for as many birthdays as the grains of dust, I forgot to ask that they be years of youth. "
    — Ovid (Metamorphoses)

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Voted "It has more downsides than benefits". I hate it in general, but there are times when it's good.

I'll get back to you on when it's good later.........maybe

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

It depends on the circumstance, really. If I'm just hanging out with my friends I don't act PC because they won't really care what I say. If I am in a public place surrounded by a bunch of people I don't know I should be PC because it is the decent thing to do.

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rahl View Post
    It depends on the circumstance, really. If I'm just hanging out with my friends I don't act PC because they won't really care what I say. If I am in a public place surrounded by a bunch of people I don't know I should be PC because it is the decent thing to do.
    Exactly...

I don't have a problem with homosexuals, but a friend of mine and I joke around calling each other gay. We don't do that in public because someone who does not know us will take it wrong. I also don't jokingly call my best friend a ***** in public (running joke between us) because I would probably get an ultra-feminist to come up and lecture me...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Farnan View Post
    Exactly...

I don't have a problem with homosexuals, but a friend of mine and I joke around calling each other gay. We don't do that in public because someone who does not know us will take it wrong. I also don't jokingly call my best friend a ***** in public (running joke between us) because I would probably get an ultra-feminist to come up and lecture me...

Heh, the words "gay", "homo" and "commie" are the standard insults where I live. If somebody does something stupid they are acting "gay" and if somebody says something crazy they are a "commie"

I don't randomly call people gay and commies though.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

The term "political correctness" is simply the latest incarnation of suppression of free expression and thought. Whenever you hear someone stating that it is necessary to right wrongs and uphold justice, you'll actually see someone attempting to suppress speech they disagree with since they are incapable of actually convincing the public to think otherwise. It is no more excusable than any other form of authoritarian control limiting a person's right to think and speak of their own free will.
    Son of Simetrical son of Crandar son of Siblesz
    Citizen, Patrician, 3rd Speaker of the House, former CoM

I IP banned 1/6 of Romania and all I got was this lousy sig.
    "A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither."
    Manstein's Muscle Thread

i think its a load of censor bypass removed - imb39, that and affirmative action.
    Last edited by imb39; May 25, 2007 at 02:13 PM.

I think people have a different standard of talking when with their friends. I mean, I always throw in Asian and gay jokes when talking with my friends (who are asian and gay, that is....), and they throw back some Jewish ones...all in the name of a few laughs. Now, I'd let some jokes go between my friends and I that I'd never let go in public. Some sayings just require a certain amount of trust, and knowing the limits of what one can say to a friend.
    "...most cases of death were mild to moderate..."

For all the restrictions that it creates, political correctness has succeeded in softening up society.
    20 years ago around here, if you called someone gay, it was on, because the man had to defend his honor.
    Now people routinely refer to each other as gay for no real reason, as the word no longer carries such a heavy negative connotation.
    I call that progress for freedom of speech.

Angmar_nite's Avatar Domesticus
    Spearheading the 57000 dollar average salary invasion!!!!!!! CHINA WILL DOMINATE YOU ALL!!!!

I think it is very important in that it sets up the original definitions of words. Basically what you see in a dictionary is what is politically correct. It's the standard. It's also what's formal.

You do hope your leaders and other leaders aim to be politically correct or else terrible misunderstandings can occur. Imagine bush saying this is a "gay" bill rather than this is a terrible bill.

See? Not as useless as you may think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    I guess in modern russia, tank builds you.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

I dislike Political Correctness. Here is a reason why, I am able to tolerate more minor Political Correctness, but saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas has gone too far....Also, Happy Holidays is incorrect, Christmas is ONE SINGLE holiday. Sorry for the all caps, but I needed to emphasise that.

Whats next anyway, that the politicians change Easter to Bunny Rabbit Day? That sounds downright retarded.

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

PC is rubbish. It needs to be gotten rid of ASAP.

it may have been realtively fine 40 odd years ago when it was invented, today its become waaaaaaaaaaay over the top and neoliberal

theres so many examples of people getting arrested in the UK for "offending" someone from a minority background its not funny. example: the school my mum worked in were having sports day, the team names were after animals but the head had heard another school was getting sued or facing some kind of legal action because one of its teams were called "monkeys" and had a couple of black kids in that team - the head asked my mum whether we had any monkey teams, to which my mum replied "no but we do have cheetahs! that may imply their children to be cheats?" (this was a joke obviously) - the head seriously considered dropping cheetah team for fear of facing legal action wtf?

Thats how idiotic and paranoid people are now because of what PC has brought.
    Last edited by Carach; May 25, 2007 at 01:59 AM.

I think the initial idea was a good one. But now it has got WAY out of hand and is essentially being used as a new formal of moral fascism. It is being wielded as a self-righteous and hypocritical weapon to impose one's will over others. It's like revenge of the nerds or something.

The irony is that some of the most racist/sexist/homophobic people I've ever met are card-carrying members of political correctness - they're just too dumb/arrogant to realize it. Instead they deflect their own failings onto others. Christ, even the other day I had some fool implying I was racist... even though I'm married to a black woman and have a mixed race son. That's typical political correctness - they always seem to preach about things that they themselves know very little about.

I think it's possibly the biggest social evil that we currently face in the West. Britain's got it particularly bad under the current Labour government, though the rest of Europe and America aren't much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Julius View Post

Whats next anyway, that the politicians change Easter to Bunny Rabbit Day? That sounds downright retarded.
    im offended at the usage of the word retarded! its mentally less-able, you douchebag.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by scheuch13 View Post
    im offended at the usage of the word retarded! its mentally less-able, you douchebag.
    Except if you had a ...say... retarded little sister. Then you wouldn't object to people calling her "the freak", right?

Or if you had a black girlfriend that would go by the nick name of chimpanzee. No probs there, heh?

As much as I detest PC no one can deny that language not merely reflects reality but actually forms it.

Ain't that so my fellow nerds?

Ragabash's Avatar Mayhem Crop Jet
    Civitate

Thread Moved to The Political Mudpit.
    Under Patronage of Sřren and member of S.I.N.

I think that people are too sensitive to everything these days and need pc to cool their bones.

I really don't like it.

Although it does go too far from time to time it is ultimately a good thing that opens up politics to many minorities.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast