Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Greatest Fight. Ever.

Goudvinger's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The Greatest Fight. Ever.

Boxing is for people who can not achieve anything with their intelligence imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Goudvinger View Post
    Sounds like your 5'2 ,105lbs, who gets bullied at school,allows your 7 year old sister to dominate you and you get out of breath from walking from your computer to your crusty box of tissues, you're just jealous of real men who are physically fit, tough and have the guts to step in the ring and engage in the manly sport of combat.
    Last edited by VALIS; June 14, 2007 at 03:47 AM.

Steistas's Avatar Tiro

MoralMan, your answer is a bit too aggressive, don't you think? Relax But from Goudvinger's comment I do understand, that he is not a martial arts fan and he is underestimating sport people.

Goudvinger, you are wrong. Because then you can say this about any sport. Then running athletes cannot achieve anything with they intelligence, they just run from spot A to spot B; footballers are running around in the field chasing the ball; Formula 1 driving in the circle... .
    As example: I have a friend he is semi-professional kickboxer and at the same time he studied and graduated Math in university.
    Some people choose fighters way and go professional just because it is they thing, something they do the best. They work for it very and very hard. Believe me.
    Member of B.A.L.T.S.

Don't overthink...

Xeres2665's Avatar Ordinarius

whoah whoah ease up man - its really a pretty scientific fighting system, sure its crude and not flashy at all but it gets the job done. And its quite effective and devastating when it works. Its a system based on a lot of fencing theories and how best to throw your weight around. planting yourself and getting rooted to the ground for maximum stability in throwing a punch while setting yourself up for another, all the while anticipating where the next punch will come from naturally, and whether you take it, block it, or bob//weave out. Quite strategic. Distance, timing, speed, technique, wits and risk is what it is. If you really wanna fight learn how to box, and apply its concepts to the other martial arts that you already know - and thus, what you call "MMA" is born. To take up martial arts, including boxing, is a long quest that spans a lifetime - but going into philosophy.

You should go try it out, and just shadow box, imagining your opponent attacking and acting accordingly to the attacks. you'll find you'll have to use your intelligence in planning your attacks as to how to get past his defenses, such as setting up a beat, changing the rhythm and all the technical stuff. Look up the classics, Jack Dempsey, Edwin Haislet, to name a few. and the fencing champion Aldo Nadi for footwork.

Hope I shed some light on the subject, I've just barely skimmed the surface.
    Last edited by Xeres2665; June 14, 2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: wanted to add more

Goudvinger's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by MoralMan View Post
    Sounds like your 5'2 ,105lbs, who gets bullied at school,allows your 7 year old sister to dominate you and you get out of breath from walking from your computer to your crusty box of tissues, you're just jealous of real men who are physically fit, tough and have the guts to step in the ring and engage in the manly sport of combat.
    Actually I am Dutch and 1.96 meters long, and in my opinion boxing is very primitive. I just don't see any fun in bashing in eachother in the face, but if you do I won't stop you from doing/watching it.

I'm 6' 2'', I play rugby and I exercise every day. I am physically fit, in my opinion, yet I agree (to an extent, not completely) that intelligence is more useful than physical prowess. However, generalising all people who box to be unintelligent is unfair and un-thought-through. Intelligence is not measured by physical ability, or vice versa.

Dr Vitali wants to speak with you, but he's too busy saving lives while judging a boxing career.

now this is fighting...and this is the french!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aeWehP9Uijc
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

That epic Muhammed Ali and Joe Frazier fight, the rumble in the jungle i think, is the best fight ever. Nothing can equal it.

No, Muhammed Ali would of been a great public figure if he quit earlier. I'm sure he could of even of been a politician. He was smart, funny, and had some political interests so i'm sure he could of done something aside from boxing.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Blanket statements and/or unsupported assertions will get you nowhere.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Actually I am Dutch and 1.96 meters long, and in my opinion boxing is very primitive. I just don't see any fun in bashing in eachother in the face, but if you do I won't stop you from doing/watching it.
    Whatever floats you boat. I can see how it can be seen as privative, it is really, but its also the epitome of sport. Two men in a ring with only the two hands you were born with. There is plenty of strategy involved too.

I'm a fan of the sport of old, but not now. Its just no longer interesting really, but most of all, in the US aside from HBO, its hard to find any good fights. They are hurting their own sport by charging $50 on pay-per-view and there are few new talents any given year. If anything HBO alone has kept the sport in the mainstream

Not enough talent in all weight classes, that eight foot Russian just isn't interesting.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

MMA is the most skillful sport in the world combining three fighting ranges, and one of the most competitive.

Calling it primitive, well so is eating drinking and creating excrement doesn't stop us doing it nor enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seneca View Post
    Creating excrement doesn't stop us enjoying it.

Odd guy.

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

You mean to tell me your bathroom visits don't entail pleasure. Nothing better than a shower shave and a s.......... makes me feel like a new man.

Peter

.......actually.........i can't argue with that.....nothing like a good sqeeze on the bog...

Hattori's Avatar Citizen

Genki Sudo is one of my fav fighters.

YOU MUST SEE THIS FIGHT

Under Patronage of MARCVS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123