Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Achilles VS. Leonidas

Default Achilles VS. Leonidas

Who would win in a 1 on 1 fight between Leonidas from "300" and Achilles from "Troy"?

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: Achilles VS. Leonidas

Well, assuming that Leonidas knew about Achilles's heel, then Leonidas.

If not, then Achilles.

But I think in the end, the real question is "How many of these threads are we going to have?"

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Achilles would win because he had only one weakpoint on his body (his heel). Only the guidance of a god could hit that location in battle. Compare Achilles' one weak point to Leonidas who had a weak point everywhere on his body.

Aside from that, Achilles was too quick for anyone to fight against: not even the Trojan champion, Hector, could match him. Hector actually spent most of his time running away from Achilles (in the poem).

Leonidas was brave, and no doubt a great warrior-king. But it's not fair to match him against Achilles, a hero with mythical attributes.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; June 17, 2007 at 10:06 PM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Who would win in a 1 on 1 fight between Leonidas from "300" and Achilles from "Troy"?
    You're comparing a mythological hero to a real life hero...there's no doubt who would win - use common sense for God's sake!
    But I think in the end, the real question is "How many of these threads are we going to have?"
    I second that...plz, someone close this useless thread
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Sven the Vengeful's Avatar Foederatus

Leonidas
    Pros: Brave, Strong, Cunning, Unyeilding, Spartan Spirit
    Cons: No armor

Achilles
    Pros: Fast, Strong, Unyeilding, Cunning, Brave
    Cons: Weak Heel

Achilles would win, Leonidas has the advantage of a spartan heritage but Achilles more than makes up for that disadvantage with his speed. True, Achille's heel comes into play, but there is a small chance that Leonidas would hit it. Even in fights with normal people it is unlikley to have a chance to hit a person there.

Also, as Bulgaroctonus mentioned, there are far to many of these threads appearing.
    Last edited by Sven the Vengeful; June 17, 2007 at 10:51 PM.

Civitate

Cons: No armor
    If you're talking about the Frank Miller/Gerard Butler Leonidas that is...Spartans wore bronze armor just like all the other Greek hoplites.

Leonidas was a historical character. If there ever was a man to be identified with the literary manifestation of Achilles, there certainly aren't any secular historical records providing evidence.

That said, Achilles' name is known to even the most ignorant layman, and his slaying of Hector is the single most important achievement in the course of the Trojan War which earns him everlasting fame.

Leonidas and his Greeks died before the overwhelming numbers of the Medes in a scenario that nevertheless was favorable to the Greeks. While Achilles was at the head of the long-haired Achaians, the man-killing Hector dared not stray out any further from the walls of Troy than to a tree close to its gates. Achilles piled the corpses of his victims into the river Xanthus; the roar of Achilles terrified the Trojans to the bones, giving Ajax and Menelaus the opportunity to recover Patroclus' corpse. And, Achilles had the personal favor of the War-God on Olympos, and Athena was personally guiding his spear.

Hell, Leonidas is only realistically a match for the less epic characters of the heroic epic such as Agamemnon of Menelaus. Ajax, Patroclus, God-striking Diomedes, and Achilles are all very easily out of the man's league.

Were man-killing Achilles to be present among the Greeks at Thermopylae, the whole Persian Army would have been sundered in moments. The only thing preventing this from happening with the Trojans are their fantastic walls.

Mind you, Achilles' death was orchestrated by the gods themselves, and was admittedly dealt by the cowardly and effeminate Paris. Achilles knew he would not be returning home once he slew Hector.

Sven the Vengeful's Avatar Foederatus

True Leonidas and other Spartans wore bronze armor, but there were many weak points.

Roshak's Avatar Senator

I think it be better if you have a fight with Achilles and Hercules than Leonidas since they are both mythological.

Your comparing two of different worlds fiction and historical. That's like comparing Superman and Chuck Norris.

In order to do a comparison they need to at least be in the same world or setting. Otherwise the mythological will all ways be the victor.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Civitate

That's like comparing Superman and Chuck Norris.
    exactly...it's no question who would win - Chuck Norris

But the spatans decended from hercules himself.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Yes but who would win Hercules or Achilles

I think the real question should be who would win Spartans or The Myrmidon

Leonidas The Lion's Avatar Until we win! Or die.
    Content Emeritus

Aw guys killed me already.
    Anyway i have to say comparing a mythical hero to a real one is not correct.

Try comparing heros that are of the same caliber.

Say Leonidas and Hector.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    When using the stick and carrot approach, remember that what you have to do is shove the carrot up their arse and then beat them with the stick.
    Check out my YouTube Channel here
    Under The Patronage Of jimkatalanos
    Patron Of
    Murfios,
    Bolkonsky and DekuTrash

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

Laetus

I think Leonidas was almost 50 by the time of Thermopylae so even though he was a bad-ass he probably wasn't even the absolute best warrior during that battle, let alone comparing him to other heroes of other battles.

As someone mentioned earlier, it isn't quite fair to compare a mythical hero to an actual person. However, if you were; Achilles was considered by most people of the ancient world to be the greatest warrior to ever have lived, by having killed Hector and dying in his prime, secured his legend as the supreme warrior for the ages.

Whereas, Leonidas was a respectable Spartan king by the time of Thermopylae, but by the time of the battle, he was between 50 and 60 years old, being far past his prime as a warrior. Although still capable of fighting, if put next to the likes of Achilles, if Homer's description from The Iliad is correct, Leonidas wouldn't last more than five, maybe ten, minutes against a warrior in his prime and in peak physical fighting condition.

As for Leonidas' age, it comes down to basic human biology;

Every year past around age 25-30, men lose a small percentage of their muscle mass. This results in less strength and power. Power equates to speed and finesse, i.e. generating the maximum amount of force in the shortest period of time.

By age 50-60, even with a severe training and nutrition regimen, Leonidas would be at a marked physical disadvantage against a younger man (Achilles and Hector were in their prime) in peak physical condition following the same training regimen.

As many have said before; Achilles is a mythical figure and regarded as the greatest warrior to have ever lived, and would win easily.

Leonidas at Thermopalye (sp?) vs. Hector : Hector

Achilles vs. Hercules : Hercules - Herc was a cunning and resourceful character in his stories. If he could not kill Achilles, he would find some way to take him out of the fight, effectively securing a victory.

Superman vs. Chuck Norris : Walker: Texas Ranger

hmmm...I bet the German shaved withdrawer in Saving private Ryan would've win.
    I came, I saw, I conquered.

you simply cant compare the two we all know achilles would win, but if it was hector vs leonidas i might vouch for hector, for the reason that he is smarter, knows defeat, and is a great fighter. but just to compare bravery between the two leonidas blows off the charts.
    To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Hmmm's Avatar Senator

Noone read the topic. The guy asked about Achilles from the movie "Troy" vs Leonidas from the movie "300". If I remember correctly, "Troy" was supposed to be without any Gods or immortality, right (though i dont really remember)?
    I had a monumental idea this morning, but I didn't like it.

Samuel Goldwyn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast