Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just spent a day watching C-SPAN...

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

Default I just spent a day watching C-SPAN...

And subsequently I have lost all faith in government.

That's right, I've spent the last 10 hours or so watching live footage from the House of Representatives, and what I saw was not comforting.

I mean, you'd expect them to get something done, or at least debate immigration reform, ethics reform, healthcare or social security. Nope. All we got today, ladies and gentlemen, is pork.

You hardly need to dedicate a good half hour speaking for an act that would "Recognize the Accomplishments of the Arizona State University's Womans 'Wildcats' Softball Team" when a) who cares? b) they have much better things to do and c) no one is going to vote against the bloody thing! You can just purpose these things, you don't need to build a case for them!

Then it was an act to "Recognize the Accomplishments..." of some 1950's television host known as "Dr. Wizard". You'd think there wasn't a war on.

Then something good came along, they were going to pass an act for the United States to confront Iran at the UN about their President's call for the destruction if Israel, something about him breaking a restriction against calling for a genocide. But, as it appears, it would degenerate into a translation and entomology debate over the "common middle-eastern usages" of terms in his speech.

I think the only substantial vote passed today was on an act "For the Recognition of the 200 Year Sovereignty of Lichtenstein and an Expression of Support for the Advancement of US-Lichtenstein Relations"

Oh wait, did I say substantial?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, this Congress thing, it's just not working. Is this why they continually give Presidents blank-checks? To free up more time to ensure their re-election through pork-barreling?
    Last edited by Feliks; June 18, 2007 at 06:56 PM.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

Default Re: I just spent a day watching C-SPAN...

You mean to say you actually had faith in the government? I always thought that was a lie people said out of fear of the fbi or cia. But if that is what really happened in those 10 hours.... then we truly need better leaders. -Leon

it aint pretty feliks-- they need to remove private money from politics and all that **** would change.

William the Bastard's Avatar Invictus Maneo

Ever seen how we do it in Blighty? PMQs is bloody great to watch (sometimes).

yes I do like all the guffaws and boos that happen in british meetings

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

You know, there goes my solution. I was hoping that one day political campaign ads would be banned from television, thereby lowering the cost of running a campaign and decreasing the influence of lobbyists. I thought that perhaps then people would put some thought into the elections and read up on the candidates, particularly their speeches and debates. But I bet it would just make them step-up their pork-barreling.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

You must have been bored out of your mind. Did someone force you to watch it? Did they tie you down? lol All kidding aside I already knew this, I mean it would take a few days worth of debating to come up with some kind of plan to solve our current problems, but no politician has the balls to propose anything because he may loose the money support for his re-election bid. I think an elimination of money, not campaign ads would solve this problem, but hey what am I gonna do about it. Even if I were to try such a thing I would not have the resources to conduct a successful campaign, as none would back me because they would be set to loose all of their wealth. So in conclusion I think we're ****ed.

Don't diss Mr. Wizard, he pwns pwned all scientists everywhere for all time. I just read that he died, bummer too, because I used to watch his show as a kid. Mr. Wizard was a patriot and a scientist and a teacher to many people, and deserved an honorable mention if anybody ever has.

On topic: Yeah, someone compared government to the making of sausages. It's almost a fair comparison, except that there's more pigs in government than sausage factories. There's a method to the madness though, and some good gets done, so It's one of those things we all have to deal with.
    Patronized by happyho in the Legion of Rahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Debs
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

I love c-span, and my girlfriend thinks Ive gone and lost it.

Watching any house or senate programming is downright maddening, but often there is something good on either c-span or c-span2. I watch the British Parliment programming often, its entertaining, they often yell at each other.

I watch the British Parliment programming often, its entertaining, they often yell at each other.
    Oh, hell yeah! And I love to watch how they stand up to support each other after someone finishes addressing the Parliament. It's so dignified!

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinosaur View Post

Don't diss Mr. Wizard, he pwns pwned all scientists everywhere for all time. I just read that he died, bummer too, because I used to watch his show as a kid. Mr. Wizard was a patriot and a scientist and a teacher to many people, and deserved an honorable mention if anybody ever has.

On topic: Yeah, someone compared government to the making of sausages. It's almost a fair comparison, except that there's more pigs in government than sausage factories. There's a method to the madness though, and some good gets done, so It's one of those things we all have to deal with.
    He doesn't have anything on Bill Nye the Science Guy!!!!!!!!!

Bingo, Bill is rockin'!

If they did only important work in the house, people would be complaining that they don't do anything.
    Honestly, the immigration bill is going to be introduced, loaded with compromises to the point where it means nothing, and then rejected until the next elections fundamentally change the composition of the house.
    That's why the Democrats got most of their policies passed within 100 hours of taking control of the house and senate, you only need so many people.
    Anything that has the slightest gray area (meaning so much as one person from the party supporting it defects), it's unpassable by present standards.

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

Mr. Wizard pwns bill nye too, without question.

yay, Freeman now!!!
    Last edited by Hunter Makoy; June 18, 2007 at 09:51 PM.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Mr. Wizard pwns bill nye too, without question.
    Nu-ah!

Hunter Makoy's Avatar We got 2 words for ya..

he was definately better then bill nye. as good as bill nye was, and he was, mr. wizard first had to blaze the trail of how that role was ment to be.
    Under the patronage of Lord Condormanius (12.29.08)
    "Yes, I know why the leaf is turning yellow. Its a lack of chloroform."

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_makoy View Post
    he was definately better then bill nye. as good as bill nye was, and he was, mr. wizard first had to blaze the trail of how that role was ment to be.
    eh can't say I agree. Grew up watching Bill Nye exclusively, loved that show to death.

Grew up watching Bill Nye exclusively, loved that show to death.
    it was on everyday when i came home from school, and some how, the episode's topic always seemed to correlate with my daily science class! It was like they made the show for me!!!

Bill Nye the Science Guy!!!!!!

(I'm feeling nostalgic!)

You clearly need a Palpatine-figure to bring strong leadership and sweep all such weakness aside.

Or alternatively you need to pass a law making daily morning injections of adrenaline and steroids mandatory for all Congressmen so that they have energy and interest in their jobs, as they apparently do in the Indian system:

"Frightened lawmakers run for cover - and hide under the tables!" Gold.

Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    I heard when Mr. Wizard died he was balls deep in Bill Nye's wife. Mrs. Nye must have wanted a real science man.
    Patronized by happyho in the Legion of Rahl
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Debs
    The Republican and Democratic parties, or, to be more exact, the Republican-Democratic party, represent the capitalist class in the class struggle. They are the political wings of the capitalist system and such differences as arise between them relate to spoils and not to principles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast