Thread: NYC starts program: money for good behavior

Default NYC starts program: money for good behavior

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070619/D8PRLSMG0.html

Somewhat amusing but since it not using my tax dollars it will be interesting to see the results. What I found funny in the article is the people attacking the experimental program.

"It just reinforces the impression that if everybody would just work hard enough and change their personal behavior we could solve poverty in this country, and that's not reflected in the facts," said Margy Waller, co-founder of Inclusion, a research and policy group in Washington.
    Well er yeah I mean isnt that the point? Why else are some people stuck in poverty if not by behavior (either by choice or circumstances of their situtation) or by lack of hard work (again either by choice or circumstance)? Are some people just 'magically' born poor that no amount of hard work or encouragement will solve it? If your offering cash to people who take a course in something that will maybe get them a job isn't that indeed addressing the problem? Your encouraging them by saying hey go out there do your best and succeed and if you do at the end we'll give you 1,000 dollars and you will have acquired that skill to get a job. In theory it sounds like a win-win situtation and certainly worth the 50million in private donations the city has raised to atleast attempt it.

So I dont see how someone can come in and go oh your giving them the impression that hard work and changes in their life will actually make their life better.... I mean who knows maybe the problem will be a complete bust but hey worth a shot. I know if it was using city dollars its probably a program Id groan at but I like Bloomberg's seeking outside money to attempt it, its a good way to gauge the actual success of social programs. If it fails well it fails but if it managed to succeed then atleast it will provide some actual basis of success to warrant looking at making it a real city program.

Erik's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: NYC starts program: money for good behavior

Quote Originally Posted by danzig View Post
    Are some people just 'magically' born poor that no amount of hard work or encouragement will solve it?
    Yes: the sick and the handicapped.

But I think most poor people are single moms, who don't have the time to work or the money to hire a babysitter and housekeeper.

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post

But I think most poor people are single moms, who don't have the time to work or the money to hire a babysitter and housekeeper.
    And then, her children are often forced to drop out of school and work at an early age just to try to support their family. No education means it's hard to get ahead, and often a good amount of kids turn to the 'profitable' drug trade to try and make a little more money, and in turn it often leads to a situation where they'll leave their wives and children. And the cycle continues.

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    That is why I said "by choice or circumstances of their situtation", obviously if someone is handicapped it is an entirely different story and this program wouldnt even apply to them since they would probably be receiving money elsewhere. Next time please read the post.

Which is why the program has some merit, you'll notice one of the earmarks is cash per month for parents who work full time something that could help provide money for that babysitter/child care. Its clear the program isnt meant to be a magic bullet but if it provides that little extra for a person or family to possibly make some changes that can improve their situtation. 150-200 dollars to most of TWCers probably isnt much but to someone on min wage it could make a huge difference. My gripe was the quote dismissing the program as if the ability to change someones behavior couldn't benefit alot of people stuck in poverty. In alot of cases there are people stuck in poverty who would probably love to be able to change the way things are but simply cant so attempting to give them the ability even if it is initially small is something to look at.
    Last edited by danzig; June 19, 2007 at 08:54 AM.

Most poor people I know are poor due to a lack of initiative more than anything.
    I have quite a few friends who are high school dropouts, but none of them had to get a job to support their family.
    Often they just spend their time partying (or chilling with friends), and the closest thing to jobs that most have is dealing drugs on the side.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

in the uk some schools give children who have truent problems Ipods and bikes for turning up to school...........