Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women going topless. Is it ever wrong?

Curtana's Avatar Semisalis

Default Women going topless. Is it ever wrong?

$29,000 for going topless. It's true the US really is the land of the free.

FoxNews. Sunday 17th June NEW YORK - A Manhattan artist arrested by police when she went on a topless stroll two years ago has accepted a $29,000 settlement from the city, her lawyer says.
    Jill Coccaro, 27, was charged briefly with indecent exposure despite a 1992 state appeals court ruling that concluded women had the right to be topless if men were allowed to take off their shirts.
    Coccaro, who now goes by the name Phoenix Feeley, bared her breasts on Aug. 4, 2005.
    Feeley remained in custody for 12 hours before she was told prosecutors were not going to pursue charges.
    Her attorney, Jeffrey Rothman, told the Daily News for its Sunday editions that his client won the civil rights settlement from the city, which did not admit or deny wrongdoing.
    "We hope the police learn a lesson and respect the rights of women to go topless," Rothman said.
    Feeley told the New York Post for its Sunday editions that she was not treated well after her arrest. She claimed in an October lawsuit that a police officer yanked her out of a patrol car by her hair and police took her to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation.
    She told the newspaper she had gone bare-breasted after running the 2004 city marathon without police bothering her.
    "I've always just felt that was something natural," Feeley said of going topless. "I've kind of always done it out of practicality."
    The city settled on June 4.
    "I felt like I deserved it," Feeley said.
    I don't drink water fish **** in it. W.C. Fields

I always advise people never to give advice. P.G. Wodehouse

Default Re: Women going topless. Is it ever wrong?

I'm moving to New York first chance I get.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

for some reason, I do not know why, It is perfectly ok to see decapitations, mass killings, mass suicides, corpses in various states of doom and destruction
    blood in rivers, even eviscerations in some rare cases -- BUT GOD FORBID AN AMERICAN SEES A TIT IN PUBLIC , JESUS HIDE MY TENDER EYES

anyway I have no idea why violence is so much more acceptable than reasonably nude people in america

all that being said more power to this woman.

I don't see what that $30k is for, personally...if everything's back to the way it was, a nice apology etc, why does she need a shedload of cash? It didn't affect her financially in any way.

However, in my city men seem to be frowned on just as much as women would be. I see people shouting at builders and other workmen to put their shirts back on. I haven't got a problem with it either way; men because I'd gladly do it (I don't do hot weather ) and women because...well, that's self explanatory.

Actually no, because then I'd attempt to ban obese people from doing it, me being a hypocrite. I can't stand fat people who wear tight clothes or go naked at beaches and stuff, it makes me cringe. I'm a bad person aren't I?

Hopefully she spends the money on nicer cans. Goes from taxpayer's pocket to taxpayer's .... pocket.

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Melboy View Post
    I don't see what that $30k is for, personally...if everything's back to the way it was, a nice apology etc, why does she need a shedload of cash? It didn't affect her financially in any way.
    You have apparently never been arrested. It is very expensive to get arrested, nevermind the expenses involved in fighting the charges in court.

Actually no, because then I'd attempt to ban obese people from doing it, me being a hypocrite. I can't stand fat people who wear tight clothes or go naked at beaches and stuff, it makes me cringe. I'm a bad person aren't I?
    That's just it though, isn't it? Laws should allow for freedom for all. It doesn't make sense to make something illegal just because you don't like it.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

The occasional cringe is a small price to pay for bringing such joy to the world, as is $29,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Condormanius View Post
    You have apparently never been arrested. It is very expensive to get arrested, nevermind the expenses involved in fighting the charges in court.
    Nope, I'm a model citizen. Only ever been stopped for underage possession of alcohol, when I was 17, I had a rucksack full of it

That's just it though, isn't it? Laws should allow for freedom for all. It doesn't make sense to make something illegal just because you don't like it.
    Yep, so I believe men should be stopped too, then, if we're to avoid becoming hypocritical. However, it has always been done on the sexual areas - look at men's and women's swimming cosutmes too. Men don't have any sexual organs in their chest region, so technically its not as 'offensive' (and I use that in the lightest possible way) for men to go topless than women. It isn't fair to have one rule for men and one for women, but the situations and contexts are regrettably completely different.

Anarius's Avatar Senator

However, in my city men seem to be frowned on just as much as women would be. I see people shouting at builders and other workmen to put their shirts back on. I haven't got a problem with it either way; men because I'd gladly do it (I don't do hot weather ) and women because...well, that's self explanatory.
    What!? Where do you live? You would get stares in my communities too if you were a woman strolling around topless, but men?

Personally I believe she deserved to be able to go topless without getting arrested, but she did not deserve the money she got.

I don't like compensation through money, because I can't see why it can help. An apology would be better.

I remember once here in Norway, that a young man drowned during a military training mission, and his parents were really sad..
    so sad they needed ten millions to make it all better!

I think I read they spent it on a holiday to Thailand..

Feliks's Avatar Ω
    Deep Space Nine, Habitat Ring Two, Section 4

As long as they're under 30

Former Science Reporter for the Helios
    Under the benevolent patronage of
    Annaeus.

I think women going topless is okay on beaches and for breast feeding, and I'll think you'll find those are the only times women will want to go topless in public. Though the punishment in this case is rediculously harsh it still shouldn't be allowed... want to see some sixty year old titties roaming around?

Quote Originally Posted by Anarius View Post
    What!? Where do you live? You would get stares in my communities too if you were a woman strolling around topless, but men?
    i live in a really posh cathedral city in the midlands of the UK, where the criteria to get a house is either you're really old or moderate with young children. So they're either offended because "no one did it in our day, by gum!" or they're offended on behalf of their children, who never seem to give a **** either way. I hate parents like that

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

Nope, I'm a model citizen. Only ever been stopped for underage possession of alcohol, when I was 17, I had a rucksack full of it
    Even model citizens get arrested sometimes.

Yep, so I believe men should be stopped too, then, if we're to avoid becoming hypocritical. However, it has always been done on the sexual areas - look at men's and women's swimming cosutmes too. Men don't have any sexual organs in their chest region, so technically its not as 'offensive' (and I use that in the lightest possible way) for men to go topless than women. It isn't fair to have one rule for men and one for women, but the situations and contexts are regrettably completely different.
    Well...technically speaking, women don't have any sexual organs in their chests either. It is only our society's hypothetical construct that makes the context any different at all. That is, the context is artificial. The sexual function of women's breasts are about as concrete as Santa Claus.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Rev. Jebediah Cletus's Avatar Libertus

Lewdness is a sin clear as night itself.

3 Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God's people. 4 Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes - these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God.
    -Ephesians V

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. -James (ch. IV, v. 7)

This is like a non-issue in many European countries. So much horrible nasty **** gets tagged onto "but think about the children" that I don't think that's a reasonable defense any longer.

"but think about the children" that I don't think that's a reasonable defense any longer.
    Babies could get confused as to which bosom to go for....

It depends if her breasts are up to an acceptable standard or not.
    If they are saggy and wrinkly then thats wrong to the poor passers by.

Does anyone have a picture of this woman?

Cúchulainn's Avatar 我不是老外,我是野蛮人

Quote Originally Posted by Feliks View Post
    As long as they're under 30
    See there's the double standard, if you allow it then you'll see half-naked women of all ages.

Women topless thing should only be done at certain locations, beach and things, any where else and it's a little too pervy
    First Child of Noble
    I've had my fun and that's all that matters
    Je Combats L'universelle Araignée

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Jebediah Cletus View Post
    Lewdness is a sin clear as night itself.

3 Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God's people. 4 Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes - these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God.
    -Ephesians V
    If breasts were lewd then God would not have made them.

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

How's this compromise: All women can walk around topless, and so can all men. That way everyone, female and male, straight or bent, can get their perv on, whilst also being disgusted

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast