Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- The "Official" Thread *Warning, here there be

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- The "Official" Thread *Warning, here there be spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    Over sixty characters died and countless others are tortured and you're saying it was written for children. [Flame Removed] Let's get out the scale. It's scientific.
    No way did you get suspended for that! Tis evil about!

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- The "Official" Thread *Warning, here there be spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    No way did you get suspended for that! Tis evil about!
    I would like to believe that Dorian wasn't suspended just for that infraction, but knowing his penchant for "shooting from the hip" I guess that it's unlikely he was.

Am I the only one who thinks that the post he "responded" to sails dangerously close to "trolling", especially in a thread where passions are likely to be high?
    Last edited by Tony83; July 22, 2007 at 11:31 AM.

it is a children's book but not 5 year olds its for 'young adults' as much as it is little kids, the fact they now print them with adult covers is testimony to the fact older people want to read them (on the tube and not be embarassed)
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Meatwad: Well, I'm off to the library to do some recreational reading.
    Frylock: Well, I have some Harry Potter adventures if you want to take a look at those.
    Meatwad: Yeah, thank you. I'm seeking some more challenging fare, Frylock--something in nuclear bionics.
    Frylock: Nuclear Bionics?

Meatwad: Heisenburg's Uncertainty Principle tells us that at a specific curvature of space, knowledge can be transferred into energy--
    Frylock: Heisenburg's Uncer--!?
    Meatwad: --and this is key now, matter.
    Frylock: No, it does not!
    Meatwad: Well, some people struggle with Heisenburg. Look, here is a toy. It goes up and down on a string. Doesn't that look like fun?

Indefinitely Banned

Octavian, I applaud you on your exit.

I don't really know what to say regarding the book though. It has left me... lost, in a sense.

It feels odd, I was very young when I started reading them and now it's over, the 7th book's release once seemed far away...

Angmar_nite's Avatar Domesticus
    Spearheading the 57000 dollar average salary invasion!!!!!!! CHINA WILL DOMINATE YOU ALL!!!!

Heh, after a month of inactivity I can't resist this thread.

Let me just say real fast that although I loved the book immensely, I feel that JKR made a fwe too many things up and some parts were really predictable. Still I don't regret buying it at all 9 in the morning in some abandoned bookshop in stuttgart in te morning of release.

I'll be back to post more after I return to the states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    I guess in modern russia, tank builds you.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

What, you bought it in an abandoned bookshop? Did you leave money on the counter hoping the owner would come back to collect it?

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- The "Official" Thread *Warning, here there be

A great novel and it was good to wrap up the loose ends.

Harrys departure to the sort of afterworld with Dumbledore and then to come back was quite mesmerising.

However I would of preffered another page or two on the aftermath of the books climax battle rather than the "19 years later" epilogue.

If there were to be an epilogue I hoped it would talk of Harry as an aging but wise and great wizard, like Dumbedore had been and more. Instead it we got a "and they lived happily ever after" ending which I would rather had not known.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- The "Official" Thread *Warning, here there be

Harry was never a very wise wizard though; he was never very talented; he's no Dumbledore, no Voldemort, not even close. He's no Snape, no Hermione, and no Fred/George either. He's, as Dumbledore said, "reasonably talented," which is a very backhanded compliment in the context it was said, really.
    Last edited by Atheist Peace; July 24, 2007 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atheist Peace View Post
    Harry was never a very wise wizard though; he was never very talented; he's no Dumbledore, no Voldemort, not even close. He's no Snape, no Hermione, and no Fred/George either. He's, as Dumbledore said, "reasonably talented," which is a very backhanded compliment in the context it was said, really.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And the only thing he was ever great at ended up getting him nowhere because voldemort died and all his followers dissappeared. No more dark arts to chase down.

but I did still think it was a decent book, and the hogwarts battle was cool.
    Concerning who the book was written for though, I think the first 2 maybe 3 books were meant for children, but as JK realized older people read it as well, she sort of changed her style of writing a bit to reflect that.

I think it was a good way to end the book series though, although the epilogue was extremely stupid.
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

mongoose's Avatar Domesticus

I haven't actually read it, but I've heard that Harry doesn't die, which is seriously ****ing me off.

Great book. The Epilogue was so obvious. Of course Harry and Ginny were gonna marry and the Ron-Hermione thing was even more obvious.

JK Rowling just announced that she is going to write and Encyclopedia on the series, so all the nutters out there can have even more detailed information on the series.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

An encyclopedia? to like fill in the blanks?
    GOD thats what f***king imaginations are for!
    "I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday"

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by lord o kelly View Post
    An encyclopedia? to like fill in the blanks?
    GOD thats what f***king imaginations are for!
    No, no, so far Rowling has been the only who could tell us about the "Wizarding World." :wink:

Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet_Warlord View Post
    Haha, yeah that is pathetic I agree.

But still, I like Rowling's writing style, it's light but perfectly believable.
    Harry Potter is forever ruined for me because in 5th and 6th grade my teacher would spend most of the time reading Harry Potter for my class. The other classes in those grades had some silly subjects called something like social science and english, and mathematics and other lame stuff like that. Harry Potter is much more educational isn't it? Thank god the Norwegian educational system sucks so hard up until upper secondary (11th grade) that you won't notice the difference.
    Everytime I hear about Harry Potter I find myself back in that classroom listening to the teachers endless drivel and horrible attempt at copying the voices of the characters in the book.
    Member of S.I.N.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Its been so hard reading the book because of all the terrible stuff that happens it it. I'm right now when their in the ministry and it just makes me think of a Fascist Dictatorship.
    according to exarch I am like
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Damn all my stuff about wishing Fred hadn't died is gone! Hey american poter fans who here think it would be funny if the American version of Hogwarts, (there may be several for all I know) is in fact A51?
    according to exarch I am like
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

When Ginny called Harry into her bedroom on his birthday and said she was going to "give him something special to remember her by" I thought she was talking about her virginity. What a disappointment - I got pretty excited for a moment.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose
    I haven't actually read it, but I've heard that Harry doesn't die, which is seriously ****ing me off.
    Just about every else does manage to get killed though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiljan
    Damn all my stuff about wishing Fred hadn't died is gone! Hey american poter fans who here think it would be funny if the American version of Hogwarts, (there may be several for all I know) is in fact A51?
    American school for witchcraft could only be in Massachussets, naturally. Or Utah.
    Cluny the Scourge's online Rome: Total War voice-commentated battle videos can be found here: http://uk.youtube.com/profile?user=C...e1&view=videos - View on High Quality only.

Cluny will roast you on a spit in your own juice...

Angmar_nite's Avatar Domesticus
    Spearheading the 57000 dollar average salary invasion!!!!!!! CHINA WILL DOMINATE YOU ALL!!!!

The United States is a far larger place than the UK. There are probably multiple schools. How the hell would Alaskan wizards get to Massachusetts on a train?

On another note, what if George W. Bush was actually extremely intelligent but got imperiused into invading random countries. it all makes sense now! :lightbulb:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapax
    I guess in modern russia, tank builds you.