Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SS AAR] The Kingdom of Denmark - Updated 7/9/07

Default [SS AAR] The Kingdom of Denmark - Updated 7/9/07

Hi I'm beginnning a campaign as the Danes using the latest Stainless Steel Mod and Ultimate AI as well as the latest version of BBB. This is my first attempt at an AAR so any comments and/or suggestions at all will be much appreciated even if it's just to say you enjoyed it!

A History of Denmark

The Reign of King Knud

Following the death of my bastard brother Harald I have taken the throne of Denmark as my own. Though my brother was instrumental in stabilising the Kingdom of Demark and turning the city of Arhus into a prosperous trade centre, his lack of authority and lack of respect amongst the Danish nobility has left our crown weakened. I am determined to establish my authority and that of my heirs over this land. I rule by the will of God and may he grant me success in my endeavours.

Our current situation is precarious. To the south lies the might of the Holy Roman Empire whose mighty armies could overrun us if we drop our guard. To the west lie the rich, fertile lands of England once ripe for the taking now ever more organised against our raiders. This was once our land and I shall one day return to those shores to claim my rightful birthright as King of England. To the north and east are the wild uncivilised lands that it is our duty as ordained by Pope Gregory to pass on the message of God Almighty. This savage but fierce people share a common ancestry despite our years of war and feud. If they can be made to recognise my authority I will forge them into a mighty weapon and have the towns and villages of England tremble once again at our dragonships.

We have recently established a small settlement at Norrkoping in the northern lands which we will use as a base for subduing the pagans of the north and expanding the power and influence of the Danish crown. I myself shall lead forces north to Norrkoping to gather our forces. It has been too long since I have felt the joy of war and I long to lead by brave warriors in the furious charge once more. My son and heir Prince Karl shall take charge of the kingdom and the city of Arhus while I am away on campaign. Though he is only 19 he displays all the signs of future king; God fearing, shrewd and an accomplished warrior. The rune casters promise a great future ahead of him though of course I no longer hold stock in such Pagan magics. Nevertheless the responsibilities that come with the government of Arhus will hopefully make a man of him.

The Danish Royal Family

I have departed Arhus with an army to head north across the straights to Norrkoping. I have given the Privy Seal to my son Prince Karl along with governorship of Denmark and the city of Arhus in my likely prolonged absence I have left behind orders to construct a chapel in my honour to pray to God for assistance in my campaigns to come.

Meanwhile the Holy Roman Empire expands its reach and besieges Hamburg on our southern border. I immediately sent my envoy Huglet Kas to treat with the Emperor’s men.

A messenger as arrived from the south informing me that Huglet has achieved our aim and secured a favourable treaty with the Holy Roman Empire. They have assured us that their expansion north and the recent capture of Hamburg is simply the quelling of a rebellion against the Emperor. We have set our seal to an agreement to recognise each other territory and to respect each other privileges and customs as well as to allow the flow of trade across our lands. Hopefully this will mean an expansion of trade in Arhus. Indeed I have been informed that Prince Karl is beginning the construction of a market to meet this increased trade between our kingdoms.

In order to greet me as I arrived Norrkoping and to expand the power of the Church and my authority I have sent orders ahead that a chapel dedicated to St. Olaf should be founded in the town ready for my arrival.

I have arrived at the town of Norrkoping only to be dismayed by what I saw. I had been led to believe that a sturdy fortress had been constructed from which the authority of the Danish crown could be exercised in the surrounding area. Instead Norrkoping is simply a weakly fortified mound with guarded by a handful of militiamen and peasants. Luckily the chapel I had requested had been hastily completed and I gave thanks to God for my safe journey.

I had only been in Norrkoping several days when a messenger from my son in Arhus rode into the ramshackle castle bearing joyous news from my son. As I had requested him to do Karl had sought out possible allies and had had fruitful negotiations with great Kingdom of France. An Alliance has been secured between our two kingdoms and sealed by marriage. Karl himself has married the Princess Constance famous in Christendom for her beauty while my own daughter Ingrid has been promised to the King Philip’s eldest son and heir Prince Louis known as ‘the Merciless’.

Even now she heads to Paris to make her vows and consummate the union. Karl writes that he is well pleased with his new bride though he had only heard rumours of her beauty before the marriage. He writes that his sister Ingrid is less joyous. Prince Louis has an unfortunate reputation as a brutal heartless man who takes pleasure in the slaughter of any prisoners who are unfortunate enough to fall into his hands. He is however the heir to the most powerful kingdom in Christendom and this marriage will do much to enable my kingdom to assert itself as a Christian power in its own right. This is something that my daughter will have to endure as a Danish princess for the good of our Kingdom.

I have held a council with my nobles who accompanied me on my campaign to the north. Opinion was divided; Jarl Haldor and his men argued that the north was a desolate place with no hope for riches whilst if we were to cross the seas south to the town of Stettin we would have greater opportunity for plunder. They also promised me sums of money if I was to organise such an expedition. One the other hand was Jarl Torstein who urged me to hold true to my original intentions and march north to the settlement of Stockholm which would help us establish a presence in the area. I have agreed to this wise course of action and taking with me men from Norrkoping I have set off to take Stockholm.

Before leaving I appointed Jakob af Borylun as my chaplain in Norrkoping to represent my interests and those of the Church.

We came upon Stockholm in the late afternoon. The town was smaller than I had believed from my scouts reports and scarcely defended. There was no wall around the town which left it completely defenceless to my assault. The townsmen had gathered bows and axes to defend their settlement against my men though they were outnumbered three to one by my spearmen. I sent my elite archers to harry the forces which had gathered in the centre of the town. They panicked and sent their raiders out to engage my men. Exhilaration flowed through me as I gathered my nobles around me and ordered the charge. My arm was still strong as we gathered pace before crashing into the raiders scattering them and hacking them down as they fled. The feel once again of my sword sinking into flesh and the terror and panic on their faces as they fled blindly reminded me of my younger days in the battle line.

King Knud scatters the raiders

Rather than carry on blindly into the city centre I pulled my men away from the fighting and sat back as arrows rained down upon the hapless villagers. As the depleted townsmen cowered under the hail of arrows I charged in again killing the defenders to a man.

The town is taken

The remaining townsmen begged for my protection and promised to swear fealty to me. I graciously left them with their lives and moved into the great hall vacated by the chief who had perished in the battle. Hearing threats of raids and reprisals from the surrounding countryside I immediately ordered that Stockholm be fortified and a wooden wall constructed around the town.

Construction has been occurring throughout my kingdom. A message from my son arrived from Arhus detailing the establishment of a permanent market in the city to handle new trade arriving from France and the Empire. Norrkoping has also followed my orders and the lord of the castle has begun to organise the local inhabitants into fighting forces. At the moment they are poorly equipped and badly trained but I have assurances that they will improve in the near future. Meanwhile under my supervision the wall around Stockholm is being constructed.

No doubt as a result of my renewed ardour following my first proper battle in many years my queen Adela is now pregnant and late in the year has given birth to a daughter who has been christened Maren. However this joy was accompanied by sad news that my son’s wife Constance has also given birth to a daughter who did not survive more than a few weeks before succumbing to a fever. It was fortunate that she could be baptised before her death so that she my escape an eternity in limbo. Karl writes that Constance has been inconsolable.

With the completion of rudimentary fortifications around Stockholm I have undertaken to build a road to connect this growing town with my fort at Norrkoping. I shall also expand the road west to help my men quell any rebels who resist their oaths of fealty to the Danish throne. I left a small garrison behind at Stockholm while I march out across the latest addition to my growing kingdom. Also my agents have reported that to the west in Oslow a powerful castle has been established which may threaten my rightful lands. I have decided to head towards Oslow to cow this threat to my authority.

In the summer news arrived from Karl in Arhus that Constance had given birth to another child, a fit and healthy son who has been named Morten. Both Constance and Karl are delighted and the boy has been presented to the warriors at Arhus as Karl’s firstborn son and heir.

My army approaches Oslow though my agent inside the castle has reported that the garrison’s numbers are far larger than originally expected. Still I shall not show weakness by running with my tail between my legs. A fight against the odds is an opportunity for true warriors to show their valour and courage. Meanwhile the construction in my cities proceeds unabated. Prince Karl has achieved much as governor of Arhus and has completed the clearing of fertile lands so that they may be farmed. The roads between Stockholm and Norrkoping are nearing completion and my priest at the fort, Jakob, reports that the garrison is becoming better trained and equipped.

Late in the summer, almost at harvest time a messenger from the Pope caught up with me as I travelled to Oslow bearing a letter from his holiness praising me for my efforts in brining the word of God to the savage pagans of the north. He asked of me a favour to construct a chapel in the newly taken town of Stockholm dedicated to St. Peter of Rome to help preach to the ignorant unbelievers. God fearing Christian as I am I immediately acceded to the papacy’s request and ordered that a royal chapel be built at the centre of Stockholm.
    Last edited by numio; September 07, 2007 at 05:27 PM.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: The Kingdom of Denmark

Good AAR have you taken any ideas of anyone like e.g the dates did you get them off mine.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Not particularly. Dates seemed like a logical way to do it seeing as it's an historical game. Why?

I don't know thy look similar but keep up the good work.
    Bomberboy's reviews

I have arrived at the outskirts of Oslow. They sighted me many days ago and the city has been fortified against attack. The castle has been surrounded and cut off from all outside contact. My troops have also begun building siege equipment to assault the castle. Given the strength of the defenders I have determined that more troops may be necessary to successfully take the city. In order to address this I have sent men out to the local villages to hire mercenaries who may fight for me when I decide to assault Oslow.

St. Peter’s Chapel at Stockholm has been completed and the Pope has sent me a personal message praising my devotion to God. Stockholm though is still only lightly defended and construction on a town guard to protect the city’s trade routes has begun. At Norrkoping with the road to Stockholm now complete work has begun on turning the temporary wooden fort into a stone castle that can truly serve as a symbol of the power of the Kings of Denmark.

The siege of Oslow had dragged on for long though we had not spent the time idle. While the enemy inside starved we built siege engines in preparation for an assault. In February I called a council of war with my nobles to discuss our plan of action. Jarl Haldor stood up and spoke arguing that the enemies supplies were running low and it was only a matter of time before they were forced to surrender or to try and break the siege themselves. ‘We must wait’, he argued, ‘bide our time and let these mangy dogs come begging at our feet for mercy. There is no sense risking our lives in an assault over their walls.’ Many of the nobles were swayed his words. I stood and waited until the noise died down. ‘I will not let it be said that King Knud did not dare step up to the fight. I will have no more waiting, We will begin our assault tomorrow.’ ‘But lord!’ one of my nobles spoke, ‘those men on the walls are hardened fighters. Most of our men are simple farmers given spears and told to fight in the shieldwall. They are no match for warriors.’ ‘Nevertheless I will not step back from this fight’ I responded, ‘You men know I care little for odds. None of the glory I won ever came of taken the easy path. I will hear no more about it. We will assault at dawn and men will sing of our victory for years to come.’

The next morning I gathered the axemen we had recruited from local tribes and prepared for the assault. As the siege towers rumbled towards the city supported by ladders to assault the walls, my spearmen pushed the battering rams towards the gates. Crossbowmen on the walls let fly with their bolts and all around soldiers were screaming as they died from the hail. But still the towers and the ladders reached the walls. The rams however fell to fire arrows. Despite the wet leather coverings the rams caught fire and my spearmen manning them were left in no-man’s land. On the walls the raiders and axmen were met by fierce raiders who held firm and though my men were able to establish a foothold on the walls they were falling as fast as they could be replaced by new men streaming up the battlements. It was looking as if the assault would fail.

Then as the spearmen in front of the gates scrambled for cover from arrows and bolts the gates opened and hardened raiders flowed out to slaughter the spearmen as they cowered. Seeing an opportunity I gathered my nobles around me and ordered a charge. The cavalry streamed forwards followed by the spearmen I had kept in reserve. Not expecting such the sudden response the enemy broke and fled before my wild charge. I could see the open gates before me and if only we could break though the city would be mine for the taking. The gates however swung shut and were again barred leaving their fleeing comrades outside the walls beating on the gates begging to be let in. We slaughtered them to a man.

Still, the situation was looking bleak. The assault on the walls was faltering and already many of my men were fleeing back down the ladders. Then a small group of my archers who had fought off the crossbowmen on the walls took the gatehouse by surprise, killed the guards and opened the gates. Seizing the opportunity I urged my horse through the gates and made straight for the centre of the keep. Behind me my spearmen flowed through the now open gates and into the city. A group of raiders stood in between us but I lowered my lance and charged with the rest of my nobles behind me. The lance struck a raider in the chest and was torn from my hand. Immediately I drew my sword and struck down hard into the leather helmet of a man before breaking through into open space. Behind my spearmen followed and soon the enemy could no longer withstand the pressure, turned and fled only to be cut down as they ran.

The battle for Oslow

By now the forces on the walls were leaving their positions to save their women and possessions in the castle courtyard. They were met by my men who held them back. As the casualties mounted on both sides I led my nobles back into the fray. Our charge trampled men beneath our horses hooves and drove them back. Again and again my sword stabbed down and my foe perished under my regal blade before the enemy turned and fled before my fury. The enemy was scattered and my men ran amok through Oslow raping and looting as they pleased as the city was put to the sack. My weary arm raised my sword to the heavens, giving thanks to God for our victory.

By the next day the fires had burnt out and the castle and its riches were mine and I sent criers to the surrounding countryside to announce my victory and my right to rule this land in the name of God. I had lost hundreds of men in the assault but at last the Kings of Denmark were unopposed and rightful rulers of the entire Nordic lands. My army however was still isolated and I undertook the construction of a road to connect Oslow with Stockholm.

My capture of Oslow has been consolidated. My men gathered together those who continued to oppose my rule and ferment rebellion. I ordered that they be sent into exile never to return to Denmark. My nobles told me I was foolish and that these men were traitors to be executed for their crimes, but I will not have it said that Knud is not merciful and just.

Karl sent a letter congratulating me on my glorious victory and that he will build a church in Arhus to honour God’s providence and my valour.

It was barely the next day when an agent who was in charge of monitoring the Holy Roman Empire to the south reported that a Scottish army has assaulted the independent city of Groningen on the coast of the North Sea. The Scots had been repulsed but at a cost to the once strong garrison. Here was a target ripe for plunder. I sent my agent back to his role and asked him to thank Karl for his kind actions and command him to construct warships to mount a raid on this city. I also sent a messenger to Norrkoping asking them to raise more men for the assault.

As my preparations for attacking Groningen gathered pace I told my nobles of my intentions to mount a raid on the city. They were overjoyed at the idea seeing prospects of loot and treasure from the rich city and assured me it was a wise course of action. They even offered to recompense me some of the costs of the expedition if it succeeded.

Later in the spring papal declarations arrived informing all of Christendom that Pope Gregory had decided to take action against the infidels who defiled the Holy Land and preach a Holy War against them. He called on all God fearing nations to join the crusade and march to Antioch where the re-conquest would begin. While I would have much liked to join this righteous crusade my new kingdom is too weak and I have too few men to send hundreds away to battle on the other side of the world. I informed the Pope of my support for his endeavour but that I could not spare the men to join him. I did however inform him that I was constructing a new chapel in Oslow where masses and prayers would be said constantly for Christian success in the capture of Antioch.

The pope has held a great council at Clermont to discuss his crusade. The Danish cardinal Harald attended this council and reported it success. It was agreed that something must be done to halt the growing threat of the Infidels in the Holy Land and also to shore up the Byzantine Empire which remained the last bastion of Christianity in the East.

The Venetian Doge himself agreed to take the cross accompanied by the French Duke Foucaud Berenger and two counts; Sigismund Franck and Jens Walpot from the Holy Roman Empire. These three mighty hosts set off independently to push back the infidels and retake Antioch. I offered my support to those taking the cross and expressed my frustration that I was not able to join them in their Holy endeavour.

Meanwhile I received news from Norrkoping that an impressive castle had been completed and work had begun on a port to better supply the castle. Also more and more men were gathering ready to take part in the raid on Groningen.

The Kingdom of Denmark 1096

As the small chapel in Oslow is complete bad news comes from the south. The Imperial Crusaders led by Sigismund Franck have diverted from their course to the Holy Land to besiege our target of Groningen with overwhelming forces. My newly replenished forces are only boarding their raiding ships to assault the city. We must hope that their divine calling diverts them away from their attack.

In Stockholm a small market has been established to stimulate trade in the area and work has begun on clearing the forests to create more farmland.

The year ends on a good note. In the depths of winter Prince Karl has been gifted with yet another healthy son who has been named Holger.

The Kingdom of Hungary has declared that they too will join the crusade. Once again the Pope urges me to follow their example and journey to the Holy Land but once again I have to refuse him.

Against all the odds the Imperial Crusaders’ attack on Groningen is repulsed and they are forced to break their siege and withdraw from the town. However seeing a rich potential prize yet more Scottish ships and men approach eager for pillage,

My fleet picks up more spearmen from Arhus and sail close to their destination. However my agent reports that Sigismund Franck returned to once again lay siege to Groningen, his army depleted by casualties and desertion due to disillusionment amongst his men that they will ever journey to the Holy Land However his honour dictates that he must obtain revenge for his ignominious earlier defeat. Also making landfall at Groningen is a Scottish army led by the young lord Eideard mac Donnchada.

Once more Sigismund Franck attacks the town of Groningen only to be repulsed for a second time repulsed from the walls by the brave defenders. The hapless town has little respite though for no sooner has the Imperial attack faltered than the Scots begin their own siege of the city. It is not long before my own ships arrive at Groningen. I am not as young as I used to be and the long sea voyage with poor food and bad weather has left me ill. I will not show weakness in front of my men though and make certain that I am the first to land on the shore. No sooner have we landed than I lead my spearmen to attack the Scottish army besieging our prize. They are taken by surprise by my sudden assault and the battle is short and bloody. I lead my nobles in a charge on the left flank which gives way under the ferocity of the attack. Then my spearmen hit the line of Scottish townsmen and highlanders. The battle is bloody but I get my cavalry back under control and charge the centre of the line. It gives way and soon the Scots are fleeing for their lives. The brave highlanders on the right hold longer but they too are broken and captured as they flee. Eideard mac Donnchada sees for himself that the battle is lost and flees rather than risk his life. The battle is soon over and in a show of my magnanimous nature I release the captured Scots we have taken to follow their comrades as they flee back to their ships.

The Left flank collapses

The lines engage

The enemy flee

Groningen’s joy at seeing their aggressors routing is turned to dismay as I carry on where the Scots left off and resume the siege.
    Last edited by numio; June 30, 2007 at 08:18 PM.

Groningen has finally fallen. While the siege was continuing, reinforcements from Norrkoping arrived bringing fresh experienced warriors from the harsh north. These new raiders would be invaluable for taking the city.

The siege begins

Ultimately the siege was straightforward. The battering ram knocked down part of the wooden walls and spearmen flowed through followed by eager raiders. The ferocity of the attack forced back the battle hardened enemy. Eventually they fell under superior numbers were surrounded and killed to a man. My nobles and I surged into the town, hacked through the crossbowmen who vainly tried to flee, and made for the centre of the town where the last of the enemy were taking refuge. The battle was short and despite my illness I led the victorious charge scattering my foes around me. The Danish raiders surged into the city and began the task of looting the city, brining terror to its inhabitants.

King Knud cuts down the last defenders

Several days later when the captured wine and food had almost run out from the feasting a tired emissary arrived from Oslow brining news of a rebellion against me in Norway. It will take me a while to gather my men together and return north. I must hope that the rebellion does not spread too much before my return.

It seems that my recent ambush on the Scots has not gone unnoticed and I received a stern message from the pope urging me that while he supports my actions in spreading Christianity in lands he will not tolerate attacking other Catholics while a crusade has been pronounced. Once more he urged me to join in the Holy enterprise, but in short term forbid me from taking any further aggressive action against the Scots on pain of Excommunication.

However it is clear that despite this transgression the Papacy favours our kingdom over that of the Scots. The death of the Scottish cardinal Fothad mac Mail Micheil has led to our priest Jakob af Borglum, who has achieved renown thanks to his efforts in converting pagans throughout Swedish lands, being appointed to the college of cardinals giving us two representatives.

Once again the Scots have landed near Groningen; I certainly cannot fault them for their persistence. They have hired local mercenaries and threaten to besiege us once again. However I am loyal to the Pope even if these wretches are not. I will refrain from attacking them unless they make the first move.

Prince Karl has once again sent me one of his regular updates on the situation at Arhus. He has decided that city is getting too big for its current walls especially after an influx of new traders following the signing of a trade agreement with Milan. Therefore Karl has spent the vast majority of my treasury in constructing a new set of walls to give the town space to grow and to strengthen its defences. I can see the potential of this but am also wary about leaving us poor. My son doesn’t help this insisting to reward his followers lavishly and gifting food to the poor regularly. If he carries on in this way Denmark shall soon become bankrupt.

Karl also writes of a peculiar Heresy which has arisen near Stockholm preached by a man who calls himself Moses after the prophet. This man claims that salvation can be found in a personal relationship with God without the need for priests and bishops and the Church. Needless to say he is an ignorant fool and Cardinal Jakob has quickly silenced the man and had him burnt for heresy. His followers have been asked to disavow their old beliefs on pain of death. This heresy however is growing more and more widespread and similar views are being aired by groups in Hamburg. Seeing as the Emperor will not or cannot deal with this I shall soon have to take it into my own hands.

As I expected the Scots made the first move and began to besiege Groningen. Immediately I called my men around me and sallied out through the gates.

King Knud leads his men

Once again I led my knights to crush their flank as I raiders hacked into their lines. Eideard mac Donnchada stunned by the speed and ferocity of our assault was overcome by indecision. Unsure whether to flee for his life or bolster his faltering forces. His lines broke and as he turned to withdraw, Eideard was engulfed in the melee and cut down. His men, already fleeing were cut down and the army scattered. Groningen was secure once more.

Eideard is slain

Knowing that I would soon have to leave to quell the rebellion around Oslow I ordered the construction of stronger and larger walls around the city to better fortify it. I also began the recruitment of men from the city to form a militia.

The heresy I spoke of earlier has moved on from Hamburg and prophets of the heresy have moved into the lands surrounding Arhus and begun preaching their filth. Mikkel of Kalo has been dispatched to contain and eradicated their heresy. Already he has denounced one of the ringleaders and had him burnt for his crimes against the church.

In this year my second daughter Cecilia came of age. She has spent most of her youth following me around on campaign despite her mother’s protests. In doing so she has grown into a spirited woman and a true warrior princess as well a cunning negotiator.

Another year and another child for Constance and my son Prince Karl. This time a daughter named Jutta who we can but hope will grow into a beauty like her mother.

Mikkel of Kalo has completed his task and eradicated all traces of the heresy around Arhus. As a reward for his accomplishments I have appointed him as the crown’s representative in Groningen.

Meanwhile news has reached me that the Kingdom of Poland has agreed to send troops on crusade to the Holy Land. The Pope however has sent me a strongly worded message condemning my lack of piety after having to come to terms with the fact that I too concerned with my kingdom than with war in the Holy Land.

I took back to the longboats this morning to head back to Oslow to quell the rebellion that has risen against me. Word has it that the inhabitants of Oslow are getting worried about the bandits in the woods and have undertaken further fortification of the castle replacing the wooden structure with a stone fortification.

The belligerent Scots have again refused to abide by the Pope’s demand to cease hostilities and have blockaded the port of Arhus. The Pope has taken a firm line on their disobedience and excommunicated the Kingdom. He has informed me that we are now free to punish these miscreants for their ungodly ways.

Once again I find myself back on the seas though at my age I am finding this ever harder to bear. Like on my previous voyage I’ve been struck down by illness and once again have to endure it and fight a battle at the end of it. We disembark near Oslow and prepare to eradicate these rebels. After a month trying to flush them out they eventually take a stand and are crushed after a short but bloody battle. My raiders suffered heavily from their archers but our charge could not be halted. Their line buckled but held across most of the line except on the left where I led my cavalry forwards in a devastating charge. The rebel leader and his mounted warriors attempted to save the day but were quickly surrounded. In the end he managed to evade capture and flee the field. After my victory I retired to Oslow to rest and regroup my men.

The rebel leader flees

When I reached the safety of the city I found word waiting for me from Arhus of Prince Karl’s fourth child a son named Valdemar who was born over a month ago. This is Karl’s third son and he must count himself blessed with such a bouny. Though I have many daughters, Karl is my only son, my firstborn son and heir and it is on him that the hope of the Kingdom of Denmark rests.

Even now though I am planning my next expedition. I’m getting old and this will likely be my last. Norrkoping has finally attracted enough smiths to adequately outfit men in the area and provide for those rich enough to afford such weaponry. I’ve sent messages detailing my plans for my campaign and asking any who seeks fame and fortune to gather their arms and await my command.

Just before the year ended bad news arrived from Groningen. The heresy I thought had been eradicated has surfaced again in the region. Mikkel of Kalo who had dealt with the original heresy in Arhus has obviously begun to believe in the heresies he once denounced and has begun preaching his dangerous words to the populace. I have sent word to Prince Karl to deal with this threat.

I have once again embarked at Oslow to sail back to Arhus and gather an army together as well as raise the Scottish blockade on our harbour there. In order to try and invigorate trade Groningen is expanding its meagre fishing port into a larger facility that can handle merchants’ ships.

I have arrived back at Arhus and with the greatest joy met my son again for the first time in many years. He has truly grown into the authority I gave him at such a young age. I can already see in him a future king worthy to take over my crown and as I get ever older this is something which I think about more and more. To celebrate my arrival back in Arhus Karl organised a great feast and a procession through the city. With great ceremony I presented him with the Duchy of Groningen as a symbol of my growing pride and trust in him. I was also reunited with my grandchildren, Morten, Huglet and Jutta who are all growing into worthy children. Karl can barely contain his pride in his eldest son Morten who is a strong boy and becoming a strong swordsman despite his few years.

While I awaited the arrival of my troops raised in Norrkoping I ordered my longboats to sail across the channel and raid the Scottish coasts and blockade the port of Edinburgh.

The heretic Mikkel of Kolo has been finally caught and punished for his sins. On hearing of a new priest from Arhus sent to denounce him he fled into the Holy Roman Empire where he was captured and brought before the reverend cardinal Peter of Koln who condemned him to death.

My reinforcements have finally landed in Arhus and I immediately gathered my men around and bid farewell to my son and his beautiful wife. I boarded my longboats waiting in the port and set sail ready to stop off at Groningen and collect more troops for my raid.

Unfortunate news arrived from my fleet on the coasts of Scotland. They had blockaded Edinburgh for some time before looking for richer, easier pickings on the coast. After a small raid they encountered a Scottish fleet and immediately attacked only to be repulsed with heavy losses by the large Scottish cogs.

My fleet collected spearman from Groningen and sailed onwards. Meanwhile the fleet raiding off the coast of Scotland has reported that the Scots have established at castle at Inverness which has been left relatively undefended. I have decided to begin my attack there as it should prove a relatively easy target and an good defensive point if my attack does not go smoothly.

I landed with my fleet at Inverness to find it poorly defended as I had been informed. Also I was lucky enough to find the Scottish king’s son and heir Prince Domnall know as ‘the Chivalrous’. My agents infiltrated the castle with ease and managed to open one of the castle’s gates as my forces arrived.

The gates are opened

With the gates open my men were able to pour through and massacre the Prince and his retainers. Domnall lived up to his name and fought against overwhelming odds until the end without giving an inch of ground. As his bodyguards were cut down around him he fought like a lion before being finally falling beside the scores of men he had slain. I let my men vent their frustration following their long sea journey as they put the city to the sack.

Prince Domnall's last stand

I accorded Prince Domnall the respect he deserved and sent his body and armour back to his father in Edinburgh for a proper burial.

Karl as sent word that my daughter Maren has come of age. Unlike my second born daughter Cecilia, Maren lacks the fire and the wildness that complemented her sisters beauty. She is however far more suited to a life at court than her sister and would make a fine and beautiful royal bride.

I am still consolidating my position in Inverness ready to move south against another Scottish city. While Edinburgh is likely the richer prize my reports indicate that it is heavily defended and will be a challenge to attack. Further down the coast though is the Scottish city of York which my reports indicate is only lightly defended though not such a great prize. There is also the issue of the Scottish field army which has yet to be located.

The heresy which I believed had been eradicated from the north of the Holy Roman Empire as again reared its head near Groningen. Once again I’ve asked Karl to send another priest to the area to denounce it and I pray that this shall be the last we see of it. If we are not careful Denmark may see an Inquisition sent to its lands and who knows how far those Inquisitors will go to discover supposed heresy.

Karl agrees that this heresy is the most pressing concern and also has compiled a list of significant construction work which has taken place since I set sail. Arhus has completed the building of a new Council building for the privy council to meet in and to house visiting dignitaries. Groningen has finished work on roads and its new trade port which has increased trade running through the growing city. Oslow meanwhile has agreed to my request to maintain troops of archers and is attracting skilled archers and bowyers to the area to aid me to the lands of the Scots. Finally Norrkoping is beginning to establish stables to expand the cavalry our armies sorely lack.

All this news has suddenly made me realise how much I now rely on my son for the day to day running of my kingdom. At my age I no longer have the patience or the inclination to concern myself with raising taxes and supervising building work. I desire one last glorious campaign to assure my name survives in the annals for all eternity. Already my nobles inform me my many victories and conquests have made me respected as a great warrior. I am now 59 though even at my age there is still the chance for one last stab at glory!
    Last edited by numio; July 02, 2007 at 07:44 PM.

Hope you're enjoying this AAR so far. If anyone has any comments or feedback that'd be great!
    Last edited by numio; July 02, 2007 at 07:08 AM.

Heres some Ideas. Try to have a kings army that would do get all your best men with chevrons and put them with your king. It's getting better. I thought the stainless steel and ultimate ai were hard those screenies made it look easy. Some of them.

P.S is it hard.
    Bomberboy's reviews

They do make the game a bit harder and Ultimate AI actually make alliances worth having as long as you maintain your reputation.

It's still early days so the battles have only been relatively small. Bigger battles will doubtlessly be on the way.

My ever dutiful son, Prince Karl has sent news of recent happenings in Denmark. The heresy I expressed concern about has been eradicated by the newly appointed priest of Groningen, Godwin of Om, reckoned to be a rising power in the Danish church and a potential future Cardinal. Also a local rebellion near Narrkoping has been put down by the local garrison lead by their commander Lord Bjorn. Karl informs me he has given the man a new warhorse and sword crafted by a master smith in Arhus as recompense for his deeds. This seems over generous but Karl has always been thus.

I have made my decision about our next destination. It shall be Edinburgh. I often taken risks in my life and they have almost all paid off gloriously and so it shall be with this one. The battle will be hard fought but my men will take the walls of Edinburgh and the Scots shall fear the very mention of my name. Clad in my full battle armour, beard plaited for war I strode into the council I had called with my lieutenants to inform them of our destination. ‘We shall attack Edinburgh, the fighting will be bloody and the victory hard fought but the glory will be all the greater for it. Ready your men! We march on the morrow.’

My lieutenants stood shocked. ‘I beg leave to speak, lord,’ Captain Niels spoke. ‘I do not see the sense in attacking Edinburgh. It is too well defended and leaves us vulnerable to attack from the main field army of the Scots. If they were to attack we would be caught between two armies and crushed. York is a far better target and a good prize.’ I looked round and saw my other commanders nodding at his words. ‘I understand your concern Niels but trust me, I lead the strongest army ever to leave Denmark and we will not be defeated. The fighting will be hard that is true but think of the fame and renown we will win. Think of the honour!’ ‘I see no honour in throwing lives away in a futile assault I see only foolishness…’ ‘You dare call me foolish! You impudent dog, I’ll see you suffer for that insult.’ I drew my sword and stepped forwards.

All around me men drew there weapons and Lord Gunnar stepped forwards a great beast of a man clad head to foot in chain mail and hefting his huge waraxe. ‘Stop this!’ he bellowed, ‘We have already once indulged your need for glory lord king. I was there with you at the walls of Oslow where you ordered the assault which saw almost three quarters of our men perish in a needless assault. We could have quickly starved them out had it not been for your overwhelming desire for so called glory. We have discussed this amongst ourselves and the army will make for York.’ ‘You dare challenge my authority like this Gunnar? I am your rightful king.’ ‘You are our king but you are old Knud. Your son rules Denmark in all but name and you merely amuse yourself with adventures. We are decided on this. We shall leave Inverness for York tomorrow and we would welcome your leadership and courage. If however you refuse you will be a king without an army.’ I looked around and saw only implacable faces and I knew there was no winning this battle. ‘Very well,’ I whispered, ‘York it shall be but you will regret your rebellious actions. I shall see to it personally.’

The next day, boats diverted from the fleet blockading Edinburgh arrived to bear us south to York.

My armies have reached York and disembarked to lay siege to the city. As predicted by my agents it is only lightly defended by Etmund ‘the Chivalrous’ another Scot famed for his prowess and honour. It would seem that the royal family of the Scots is a most chivalrous line indeed. It is almost a shame to slay these noble knights.

Karl’s son Morten has come of age this year as he reached his 16th year. He has inherited his father’s intelligence and has a great ability to deal with the rest of the nobility and gain their respect. However where his father was a generous man given to liberally reward his followers, Morten is a practical and efficient manager of his money and resources.

Morten comes of age

York has finally fallen to our armies.

Danes approach the city

As our siege towers reached the walls and our wild swordsmen swarmed over the battlements to defenders decided they could not hope to repel us and withdrew to the city centre to make their stand.

The Walls of York are taken

As the gates were secured I led my men forwards sending a group of my men to assault the centre from the other side. Seeing he was outnumbered and surrounded, Etmund lead his men in a valiant charge.

Etmund leads a charge

Though this decisive action took me by surprise and many swordsmen perished under that heroic attack, it soon faltered and Etmund was slain indomitable to the last. His remaining men fought to the bitter end but soon all the defenders lay dead in the city centre. The remainder of my men poured into the city and the looting began.

It took me days to recover after the battle. Though I have fought in countless battles, from small raids to large engagements, I am getting too old to continue this fighting. My strength is still there but I’m no longer able to continue for as long as I used to be. My great broadsword seems to become heavier by the day and my reflexes and speed are not what they used to be. Still though I feel the adrenaline of battle and the joy that comes with it.

The Reign of King Karl

My father Knud never fully recovered from the battle at York. His legendary courage meant that as always he was there where the fighting was thickest, risking his life alongside his men overcome with the joy of battle. He took many wounds at York, the most grevious as he fought against the Scottish Lord Etmund whose blow cut deep into his shield arm. Though the injury appeared to have healed, it would frequently come back to haunt him. Eventually the wound brought on a fever and led to the death of my father in his bed. Despite our religion it is said he called for his sword and shield at the end so that he died ready for war in the afterlife. I have done my best to quash such rumours so that my father be remembered as the pious man he tried on occasion to be.

Lord Gunnar, his lieutenant in York has taken command of the troops and sent his body back to Arhus for burial in chapel where his father Harald lies buried by the high altar. The funeral which saw his coffin taken through the streets of Arhus was presided over by the aging and respected cardinal Harald. The funeral was followed by my own coronation as the new King of Denmark where Harald placed the crown upon my head and anointed me God’s representative in Danish lands charged to bring the true religion to the Northern lands.

My father’s reign has been a defining one for the Kingdom of Denmark. When he rose to the throne Denmark was a minor northern kingdom whose power extended little beyond the walls of Arhus. He established the new settlement at Norrkoping and lead campaigns north to bring Christianity to Norway and Sweden and bring our one time rivals under our control. Few men have ever achieved the unity of the Nordic lands and Knud is one of them. He has also expanded our power beyond Scandinavia across the North Sea to Groningen and Scotland where he died leading one of the largest armies ever to have left Denmark carving out new lands in the Britannia.

Though I have been administrating much of the kingdom during his time on campaign I have not been dissatisfied. Under my stewardship trade in Arhus has almost doubled and our new trade centres of Stockholm and Groningen are growing slowly to dominate trade in the Baltic. I have forged alliances between the two most powerful forces in Christendom, the Holy Roman Empire and the Kingdom of France to protect our borders and assure our trade routes. I feel that Denmark truly has the potential to become a major Christian power to rival our allies. Indeed I am considering reviving our claim to the throne of England usurped by Duke William and his heirs.

This year has been a year of great deaths. Another powerful King followed my father to heaven, King Philippe of France; who has been succeeded by his son Prince Louis married to my sister Ingrid, now queen of France. Also the aging Cardinal Harald who has led the Danish Church for decades died several months after officiating at my coronation and my father’s funeral. The Danish presence in the college of Cardinals has been maintained as Father Vig Romer has been appointed to the college as a result of his growing reputation converting the pagans and heretics in Norway.

In order to bring some joy into this depressing year I decided that my eldest son and heir apparent should take a wife both to raise morale in the kingdom and secure the future of the royal line. Milan were keen to join their line to ours to further our trade links and offered their Princess Fiona as bride to my son. I advised him of the benefits of an alliance with Milan and urged him to accept the offer. Morten was apprehensive when he learned that she had been named ‘the Gorgon’ in her own country and refused outright when he saw a portrait of her where even the most flattering artist could not hide her disfigurements.

Only with great effort that I avoided a diplomatic incident by rejecting the offer. In the end I secured a marriage to the beautiful Princess Adelaisa of Sicily and organised a great celebration of the marriage in Arhus presided over by our new cardinal Vig Romer. The princess has proved an instant favourite of the people of Denmark aided by her royal beauty and easy manner despite her difficulty with our language.

It was not long after the marriage that worrying news came from Scotland. Lord Gunnar has decided to move the army out of York without waiting for my orders and begin the march towards Edinburgh meeting with reinforcements from Inverness on the march. With such an army and authority, Gunnar could declare himself king of Scotland in his own right and prove a danger to Denmark itself. I cannot leave Arhus myself as so much of the day to day running of the Kingdom depends on me so I have had to dispatch Prince Morten immediately to take command of the army in Scotland.

Lord Gunnar has sent a messenger back to Arhus detailing the situation in Scotland. As they were approaching Edinburgh his army was cornered by two Scottish armies led by the Scottish Lord Fothad mac Dabid. Gunnar found himself facing over 1,500 men outnumbering his own 1,000 men and surrounding them. Fortunately for Gunnar the armies were split into two parts. One army recently raised from Edinburgh consisting of militiamen and artillery, the other the main Scottish field army led by Fothad himself consisting of the cream of Scottish kinghood, wild men from the Highlands and fierce Irish mercenaries. Gunnar immediately ordered a charge by his swordsmen and raiders towards the smaller army from Edinburgh led by the Captain Finguine. He accompanied them with his retinue of mounted huscarls.

Captain Gunnar orders a charge

The fighting was brutal as the miltiamen could not stand long before the heavily armoured swordsmen and as Gunnar rode suddenly led a charge into their rear the flank collapsed causing the entire army to rout. Barely 50 men survived and Gunnar himself personally cut down the Scottish Captain Finguine as he attempted to flee.

The first Scotish army flees

During this time the main Scottish army had been slowly approaching. Gunnar pulled back his men and ordered his lines in preparation to meet the attack.

The second Scottish army approaches

Irish kerns with throwing spears and mercenary crossbowmen led the attack and their missiles cut down the Danes as they awaited the inevitable charge. Preferring to risk his men in the melee than see them slaughtered by arrows and spears Gunnar ordered the charge. The two armies met and a fierce melee broke out with both sides suffering terribly.

The centre of the Danish army wavered as their spearmen were cut down by the well armed Scottish nobles though this was reinforced by raiders who Gunnar had been wise enough to keep in reserve behind his lines. The Danish huscarls had also managed to get round the flanks of the enemies formation. The breakthrough finally came on the left as Gunnar led his mounted huscarls in a charge which set the Scottish fleeing in panic.

Gunnar's charge

The battle in the centre and on the right continued longer but eventually the Scots began to be forced back. Fothad mac Dabid tried to steady the line with his knights but this was in vain and he began to withdraw. Seeing their general turn his back the Scottish army finally broke and fled.

The Danes, exhausted after their costly battle had little energy to mount a pursuit. Gunnar writes that he ordered the enemy prisoners taken to be executed. The victory had been a costly one and more than a third of the army lay dead in the Scottish lowlands.

No sooner had the victory been won than Lord Gunnar heard of a new, well equipped Scottish army returned from raiding in the south which threatened to overwhelm his tired men. Gunnar has decided to pull his men back to Inverness and take time to regroup his forces.

While I had been angered at Gunnar’s seemingly reckless attack I am glad that he managed to obtain a famous victory for Denmark over the Scots. The loss of so many men may prove to be an unlikely advantage as it prevents him from making a move until Prince Morten arrives to assume command of the army.

The completion of a large permanent market at Groningen has cemented its growing status as one of the major North Sea trading ports. I have also ordered the paving of the roads around Arhus to facilitate overland trade coming in from the Holy Roman Empire.

My son Prince Morten has arrived in Inverness to great acclaim from the troops. According to my advisors he walked amongst the men on his way to the castle, greeting them personally and praising their valour and strength. He gave an impromptu speech on the steps of the keep with the soldiers gathered around him calling on their courage and promising to lead them to victory. The men cheered as he spoke and shouted his name as he marched in to take command of the army from Lord Gunnar. Lord Gunnar was resentful at giving up his command to such a young man but despite resistance from the proud man, the obvious popularity of the Prince with the men convinced him to cede his position. As my messenger reported the prince’s success a warm feeling of pride flowed through me as my son overcame his first real challenge.

One of the major concerns which my father King Knud had with his army in the field was the lack of armour of his troops which lead to high casualties. I have taken on board his concerns and started to attract skilled leatherworkers to Oslow and Norrkoping to provide better armour for my troops.

Meanwhile Stockholm has finally begun work on expanding the capacity of its port. For years I have argued with the city that their small docks were impractical for larger merchant ships to little avail. Now that I am king it is obvious that my recommendations lend more weight and work has now swiftly begun.

I has also received news that I have become a grandfather as Adelaisa has given birth to her first child, a daughter named Klara. No doubt many sons will follow.

A papal bull has arrived in Arhus proclaiming the kings of Denmark ‘Defenders of the Faith’ as recognition of our efforts in converting so many pagans in the north and our war on behalf of the papacy again the excommunicated Scots to punish them for their disobedience. I held a great procession and a mass in Arhus to celebrate this great honour and ordered that masses be said throughout the kingdom. To demonstrate my devotion I fasted for a week and gave funds for the establishment of a monastery in my name to constantly pray both for my father’s soul and the kingdom of Denmark.

Along with the bull came an appointment for Angel Sivardsen as Cardinal raising the number of Danish Cardinals in the College of Cardinals to 3 more than any other Christian Kingdom.

My son has sent a message from beneath the walls of Edinburgh informing me that he had left Inverness and begun a siege of the Scottish capital. Morten also informed me that he had been involved in a small engagement on the road to Edinburgh between his scouting party and a small Scottish advance guard. This was Morten first engagement and according to reports he acquitted himself well killing many of the enemy and capturing a large number of them as they fled. In a display of magnanimity he released the Scottish prisoners and allowed them to live providing they did not bear arms against him. Needless to say it is unlikely that they will hold their side of the bargain.

Late in the year news came from Rome that his holiness Pope Gregory has died peacefully in his bed. I ordered all the church bells in the kingdom to be rung in celebration of his life and masses to be said for his divine soul. The election of a new pope was swiftly conducted with Denmark deciding to support Pope Gregory’s spiritual successor Cardinal Pius who won overwhelming support from all of Christendom and was elected as Pope taking the name Eugenius IV. His first act has been to issue a pardon to the Scottish King and reversing his excommunication.

rousw's Avatar Laetus

What an amazing AAR!! + rep. The Danes are great - keep it up!

Cheers! It's good to know people are enjoying it! It's actually made me appreaciate the campaign more by taking it slowly and writing some background. Shouldn't be too long till the next update.

This is one of the best AAR's which I read and I'm waiting for next updates!

Nice, detailed AAR.

A messenger has arrived from Scotland telling of a great battle fought between Prince Morten and the Scots outside Edinburgh. Morten had only been several months outside Edinburgh besieging the city when the Scots attempted to raise the siege. A large army arrived by sea and immediately attacked while Lord Fothad mac Dabid sallied out of the city to join with his potential saviours. Morten found himself attacked from two sides by slightly superior numbers. He did not panic though and established himself on the crest of a hill to await the attack.

The Scots march relentless towards Danish lines

The attacking Scots charged up the hill as their ballistae scythed through the Danish ranks. The Scottish highlanders let out their fearsome warcry and charged. The Danish lines buckled but held and the fighting descended into a bloody melee as the two sides hacked at each other.

Prince Morten and Lord Gunnar had ridden round the flanks of the opposing army and fell upon the artillery which was still pounding the hill. The artillery crew fled, abandoning their machines while the cavalry wheeled round to engage the main Scottish battle line. In the melee the Scottish captain was cut down by an unnamed swordsman and the line began to waver. Those at the rear looked round only to see Danish cavalry galloping towards them. They turned and ran and soon the entire Scottish line was fleeing back to the highlands harried by the pursuing cavalry at every step.

The outflanked Scots flee

The reinforcing army led by Lord Fothad marched up the hill as the remnants of the army they had come to aid fled down it. Still Fothad lead his men on and sent his Irish javelinmen on ahead to harass the enemy.

The Danes charged down the hill sweeping the Irish aside and engaging the Scots. Fothad mac Dabid himself charged forwards to stiffen his line and it looked for a moment the Danish flank would be pushed back. Prince Morten, returning from chasing down routers, saw the danger and made straight for the Scottish general. Fothad reigned round to meet the Danish Prince, parried his initial blow and struck back. Morten brushed aside the swing with his shield and thrust with his broadsword sending the Scot reeling. As Fothad struggled to recover, Morten cut down with a fearsome blow which sliced through the chainmail vest of his opponent. Fothad cried in pain from his terrible injury and fell from his saddle to be trampled under the hooves of Morten’s warhorse. As news of the fall of their general spread through the line the Scots fled and were cut down to a man.

With the reinforcing army decisively defeated and their garrison annihilated, Edinburgh surrendered to Prince Morten and opened their gates. The city was plundered and the local merchants paid to pay for the security of their assets and permission to continue business. Chests of gold and other treasures were carried from the city treasury as Morten oversaw the most successful raid in recent Danish memory. The prisoners taken in the battle were to be released after payment of a substantial ransom from Scotland but this generous offer was refused and Morten was left with no choice but to execute the prisoners.

I gave thanks to God for our great victory and for his preservation of my son who is quickly gaining a reputation as a promising commander with a great future ahead of him. The new Pope however has not been so keen regarding our victory and has decided to make an example of his power by sending me a warning threatening excommunication if I permit further aggressions against Scotland.

My second son Holger has come of age this year. I fear to say he has often felt to be less favoured than his elder brother Morten, which is only natural seeing as Morten is to be heir. However this has lent to a certain amount of resentment against me. It has also led him to associate with the seedier elements of my court who I keep well away from the centre of power.

Holger comes of age

I have decided that the money taken from Scotland shall be put to use reinforcing both our forces defending Scotland itself and gathering a new army in the Danish heartlands whose upkeep can be funded from the new revenues of Edinburgh.

Following the Pope’s demands I have sent emissaries to the Scottish remnants who have fled to Ireland offering generous peace terms. These have wisely been accepted by the Scots and for the moment peace has broken out between our two forces.

The gathering of troops in Scandinavia gathers apace yet reports have reached me of a rebellion near Oslow objecting to overzealous recruitment in the area where I hear villages have been kidnapped to gather the troops I require. While I oppose the practice I cannot tolerate rebellion in my realms. With the new troops being raised I will soon have enough forces to easily quell this rebellion.

Will the bad news never cease? The heresy which has reared its ugly head so often to the south near Groningen has remerged under a new preacher. Luckily Godwin of Om who denounced the last occasion of the heresy was able to quickly nip it in its bud and punish those foolish enough to listen to its poisonous words.

The French has been excommunicated as a result of their ongoing war with England and the casualties suffered by both sides. Word has it that it was the sacking of Caen which was the final straw for the new Pope who it is said wept at the news of Christian slaughtering Christian while Antioch, the target of the Crusade preached by his predecessor still remands in the hands of the Infidel. I was ready to cancel our alliance with the Kingdom of France due to their perfidy but was only persuaded by my sister Ingrid, now Queen of France, that her husband was not an evil man but that the Pope held a Vendetta against him because he had spoken against his appointment. I reluctantly agreed to maintain the alliance.

I also let it be known to the Pope that I was prepared to finally join in Crusade preached years earlier by Pope Gregory. My father always wished to undertake this expedition but was prevented by lack of funds and trouble at home. Now though, with the wealth gained from Scotland I am in a position to finally take the fight to Infidel. Though I would like nothing better than to lead this glorious endeavour I have too many responsibilities to Denmark to leave the Kingdom. Therefore I have called Morten back from Scotland so that he may lead it in my stead. I also intend that his brother should join him in his journey and to prepare Holger for the task I have sent him to deal with the rebels near Oslow to give him a taste of battle.

The Pope Eugenius was naturally overjoyed at my decision and responded by recommending that a recent vacancy in the College of Cardinals be filled by a Danish candidate. Godwin of Om was duly elected as a result of recent successes in eradicating heresy.

Holger has fulfilled the task I set him and successfully disposed of the rebels with few casualties. His archers rained death on the hapless enemy while he lead devastating charges along with his knights shattering their resolves and sending them fleeing for the hills.

With my preparations for the crusade almost complete and Morten summoned back from Scotland I have ordered all my troops to gather outside Arhus so that I may personally wish them well on their holy quest.

Morten has arrived in Arhus and it with great joy that I great my son back from his successful campaign in Scotland. He also bears good news, just several days earlier, on the road, his wife bore him a second child another daughter named Emma. He admits he would have preferred a son but is still please at his good fortune.

Holger is now on his way back to Arhus bringing with him the forces which have been raised for the crusade. I have started to prepare an area to address the troops and send them off on their way to do God’s work in the Holy Land.

My mother Adela died this year peacefully in her sleep at the ripe old age of 64. I had her buried by my father’s grave despite the fact there had not been much love in that marriage it is only right and Christian that she should lie next to her husband. I lavished money on a finely sculpted tomb so that she will always be remembered.

A great setback for my ambitions has occurred. Led by my two sons Morten and Holdur a great Danish host gathered outside of Arhus to hear my words as I praised them for their devotion and told them of the glories that awaited them both in this world and the next as they fought for God on crusade. I was halfway through my speech telling my men of how the infidels slept with goats and boiled babies alive as a delicacy when a breathless messenger arrived. ‘My Liege,’ he panted as he struggled to regain breath, ‘There is news from Rome. Antioch has fallen! Men from the Kingdom of Leon-Castille have stormed the walls and the city is now under Christian hands! Pope Eugenius has praised these brave Spaniards for their valiant efforts for Christianity in pushing back the Moors from Spain and doing God’s work in the Holy Land.’ I was momentarily shocked as I realised that my services were no longer needed. I told my men of the great victory and that there was no need at the moment for them to leave their homes as the Pope’s mission had been fulfilled. I even had some words to say in favour of King of Leon-Castille.

I then sent a delegation to Rome congratulating Pope Eugenius on this great victory and urging him to take advantage of the weakness of the Infidels and launch a new crusade to press home our advantage. It took months for the reply to reach me that at the moment Eugenius had no intentions of preaching a new crusade and that I should be patient.

Meanwhile I have an army sitting around Arhus with little to do except to cause trouble in the countryside and raid my own villages. I have decided that it is time to renew the war against the Kingdom of Scotland and take the fight to their new lands in Ireland.

Prince Morten and his brother landed on the coast near Edinburgh and Morten has issued calls to the men he left behind in Scotland to gather and meet him on the march into Ireland.

The Papacy has approved the founding of an ‘Order of Chivalry’ to be founded along monastic lines but with the duty of defending the lands of Christendom and pushing back the Infidel to reclaim the Holy Land. Many men have joined from the Spanish army in Antioch and across Christendom and are marching to take Jerusalem in the name of Jesus.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Stainless Steel mod begins with a Knights Templar faction in the Holy Land at the beginning of the game before the first crusade which is a little ahistorical but good to play. I've tried to make a scenario to explain its existence later on in the game.

An issue has emerged regarding our alliances. In recent years the Kingdom of Sicily has been expanding its power throughout the Italian peninsula with the support of the Pope and has now come into conflict with the Holy Roman Empire at Bologna. War has broken out and Sicilian troops have moved to besiege the city. This has lead to issues as we have been long allies of the Holy Roman Empire and only recently an alliance was agreed with the Kingdom of Sicily after Morten married a Sicilian princess. Both sides have asked us to support them in their feud. It is clear to me that Sicilian expansion is behind this war and as such I have refused to side with them and sent words of support to the Emperor. However I have assured Sicily that due to our close bonds I will not be sending my men to aid the Empire.

Much as it pains me to say so, the Pope has shown himself to be ridiculously biased and has excommunicated the Holy Roman Emperor for standing up to Sicilian aggression. It is clear to me that Pope Eugenius sees the Emperor as an unwanted rival in Italy and his seeing the Sicilian attack as an excuse to remove the Imperial presence on the peninsula. I have sent a strongly worded message objecting to the overtly political nature of the excommunication. I have also assured the Emperor that I will still honour our alliance.

Meanwhile Morten has met with the troops in Scotland and has crossed the narrow channel to Ireland where he marches upon the new Scottish capital at Dublin.

Word has arrived from Ireland that Morten has reached Dublin and begun to besiege the poorly defended city. It has become clear that the blow we dealt the Scots in the first phase of the conquest has severely dented their military potential.

My third son Valdemar has reached his sixteenth birthday this year and I have presented him to my nobles as a man. He has shown himself to be a born soldier though prefers to remain apart from his men which I am sure will create a certain amount of resentment. Nevertheless I am certain he will grow into a competent general to lead my men.

A good read Numio. + rep
    Bomberboy's reviews

MattErickson's Avatar Centenarius

A nice AAR!
    I love Denmark, they are one of the best factions to do a story line with.

~Beren~'s Avatar Primicerius

Very nice AAR!

If only I had time to work on mine...

nice aar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast