Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unpacking problem - question

Default Unpacking problem - question

Hello all,

I seem to be getting this message everytime I try to run the unpack_all batch file

MSVCR71.dll was not found. reinstalling may help.

I've reinstalled the entire game and 1.2 patch but get the same message.

I always change the default install dir, so not sure if that matters. But everything else should be fine, no mods installed either.

Any hints?

Default Re: Unpacking problem - question

Does the game work fine after the installations?

Maybe the installation doesn't work fine.

Do you have enough free space on the disk? (although I doubt this is a problem)

Hi

I have the same issue, and thus feeling rather daft. You can copy the content of the unpacker folder into your main medieval II folder. Having done that it runs for me, or begins to run and after a while encounters some trouble around the 6000th file and closes down, and of course the only file I want (unit desc.txt) hasn't unpacked yet. If someone wants to do me a massive favour, please send me the file to my email. All I'm looking to do is add a few scottish units to the english to add more variety to my camp armies.

Hi mate just to help you out the file you are talking about (MSVCR71.dll ) is located in the main MIITW installation folder. Just copy and paste these files (MSC71.dll, mfc71d.dll, msvcp71.dll, msvcp71d.dll and msvcr71.dll) in the unpacker folder (where the unpack_all.bat is located.)And everything should work, been having the same problem myself. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Maximilian I; July 02, 2007 at 07:00 AM.

Author of the Battle of Kenross AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Maximilian I View Post
    Hi mate just to help you out the file you are talking about (MSVCR71.dll ) is located in the main MIITW installation folder. Just copy and paste these files (MSC71.dll, mfc71d.dll, msvcp71.dll, msvcp71d.dll and msvcr71.dll) in the unpacker folder (where the unpack_all.bat is located.)And everything should work, been having the same problem myself. Hope this helps.
    Thank you, I believe this worked. I answered all the prompts it run so I took a break and when I checked my data folder it did expand to now 10 GB

but I guess I need some sort of converter or editor to view things...?

well thanks to all that replied if anyone knows where I can download the tools I'd be apreciatative

Thanks again

preston's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Thank you, I believe this worked. I answered all the prompts it run so I took a break and when I checked my data folder it did expand to now 10 GB

but I guess I need some sort of converter or editor to view things...?

well thanks to all that replied if anyone knows where I can download the tools I'd be apreciatative
    to get the rest of the stuff you'll need to get Vercingetorix's xidx extractor from here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...?do=file&id=32 ; after you download it extract it to this location: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\data\sounds
    and you'll need the sound text files from here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1110 and this one in the same directory path as the above. if you have any problems let me know.
    Last edited by preston; July 02, 2007 at 09:47 AM.
    MEMBER OF S.I.N.

Also make sure you delete these files: descr_geography_new.txt descr_geography_new.db they are located in your data folder. If you dont do this your game will crash.
    Last edited by Maximilian I; July 02, 2007 at 10:17 AM.

preston's Avatar Semisalis

Also make sure you delete these files: descr_geography.txt descr_geography.db they are located in your data folder. If you dont do this your game will crash.
    lol just incase he gets confused, make sure you see a _new after them
    MEMBER OF S.I.N.

Quote Originally Posted by preston View Post
    to get the rest of the stuff you'll need to get Vercingetorix's xidx extractor from here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...?do=file&id=32 ; after you download it extract it to this location: C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\data\sounds
    and you'll need the sound text files from here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1110 and this one in the same directory path as the above. if you have any problems let me know.
    I extracted the xidx extractor to the sounds folder, and was able to get access to the sounds, but so far that's all. Was kinda hoping I could get to the character portraits, campaign event pictures.

Also make sure you delete these files: descr_geography_new.txt descr_geography_new.db they are located in your data folder. If you dont do this your game will crash.
    Well I guess that explains the crashes I had after I tried this months back... heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    I extracted the xidx extractor to the sounds folder, and was able to get access to the sounds, but so far that's all. Was kinda hoping I could get to the character portraits, campaign event pictures.

Well I guess that explains the crashes I had after I tried this months back... heh.
    You already have these files after you extract with unpacker just look carefully for them.

alot of images are in data/ui folder

You already have these files after you extract with unpacker just look carefully for them.

alot of images are in data/ui folder
    oooo yeah! nice, I was almost going to download the cas extractor when I saw you reply.

Thanks!

you're welcome

Now off to try this with RTW

Ok so I installed a Rome then BI and updated to 1.6. Installed the extractor as instructed in the readme, but this doesn't allow you to see the Rome event pics only BI event pics.

So I tried installing the extractor to the Rome, data, sounds ran it and no change. So I uninstalled BI & RTW in that order, then reinstalled just Rome

The extractor was already in place, so I ran it, but again still no luck in finding the event pics or portraits.

english tyrant's Avatar Domesticus

When I extracted my M2 it worked until you started a battle at which point it would CTD, any ideas on what to do?

yep, you need to delete or re-name the
    descr_geography_new.txt
    file that has been unpacked into data folder.

yes the answer is in post #8 (above) but don't you also have to delete this too? descr_geography_new.db

It now looks like you don't at least for 1.3 Kingdoms mod, the db file can be left in without apparent problems, so long as you delete the .txt file, the db file can also then be edited with hex-editor, as in RTW

ok thanks, I had already deleted both so was just wondering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast