Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RTR AAR] Glory for the Republic - Roman AAR

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Default [RTR AAR] Glory for the Republic - Roman AAR

Glory for the Republic - Roman AAR

Seeing as RTR 7 has yet to arrive and I’ve got the new RTRPE 1.9 and the 4tpy mod with leadership built in, I thought I would have a go at an AAR. It will be a Roman one as I love the SPQR and there was no competition as to what faction to choose despite how many Roman AARs there are. Anyway, here are the house rules:

1) All Legions will consist of : 2 Hastati
    2 Princepes
    1 Triarii
    4 Allied infantry (Italians only)
    1-2 cavalry units (only one roman cavalry unit)
    2 Velites

2) Military Service: I have to develop Characters properly. However, at the start when I will break this rule. This will only apply to the next generation of leaders.

3) Realistic Expansion : This means I can expand non-historically, but no ridiculous campaigns to egypt for no apparent reason.

4)No declarations of war. They start it, and I shall defend the Republic through conquest of the aggressors land.

5) Treatment of settlement : No exterminations of any city other than Carthage. Also, no enslaving of civilised people other than Carthage. We Romans REALLY don’t like Carthaginians.

6) I will be playing on hard/hard.

Also how do I insert my screenshots into the updates? As soon as I find out, I'll get started.

Default Re: Glory for the Republic - Roman AAR

Rome-Glory for the Republic

Chapter 1 - Italian Campaigns

Part 1 - The Alexander of the East
    It was the spring of 280 bc and the legions of Rome were prepared for war with the Greeks in the south with Pyrrhus of Epirus were ready to try and establish rule over Rome and Italia. It was in the spring of 280bc that the Consul Quintus was forming his army in Campania. It was lacking the veteran Triarii and Equites and would take a while to raise. Quintus was nervous about facing Pyrrhus. He’d heard he was Alexander reincarnated. Although he hid this fear from his men, his advisors grew increasingly worried he’d defeat himself. When a spy, by the name of Decius Curtius, headed south to observe the armies of the south, he brought back mixed news. The Greeks had less men than they had feared. But as Quintus began to break a smile, He came to realise the terrifying replacement of the lack of men. Great beasts from the East. Elephants.

When he left the briefing, he and his aides searched every text to see how to counter the beasts. All they said was to use skirmishers and javelins. He tried his best to prepare the men, He devised a tactic that was ambitious and not approved by the triarii and his italians who fought with spears. He envisaged bring up extra spearmen and to have a wall of spears to greet the elephants with then rest of the army ready to hurl their javelin and pilum. He hoped it would work.

The fear of Pyrrhus caused fear and panic in Rome. All reserves were sent to the capital to maintain order. Any man with the ability to move was preparing to leave the city. Plebs were taking advantage by rioting. The governer and the senate were powerless. Then Publius Laevinus, a mere Legate marched with his men into the city to gain order. Although illegal and almost foolhardy, the senate could to nothing but thank him. Despite his young age and short service, he was made temporary Praetor Urbanus.

The Republic was crumbling. Pyrrhus would march on Rome if he knew.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Part 2 - End of an Empire

The rest of 280 was quiet. Pyrrhus had decided to take Corfinium and Quintus allowed it. In a shock move he was elected as consul again for 279 and his first act was to besiege the newly Epoirte Corfinium with all of Pyrrhus’s army inside. He decided however that to engage the elephants on the streets would be foolish. He instead planned to occupy Pyrrhus while Tarentum, with a handful of hoplites as garrison, would be taken by Publius Laevinius with the new 1st Legio. This would take Pyrrhus’s base of operations and help pay for the large army that Rome deployed.

In the spring of 278bc, Publius reached Tarentum and ordered the construction of rams. He had hoped that his spy could open the gates, but it seems impossible. Quintus still have until the beginning of winter if he was to starve out pyrrhus and waited patiently. He had hoped that his Consular legion would be assisted by the 1st legio fresh from vistory at Tarentum, but it seemed he may have to fight alone.

Summer 278bc

Capua under siege!

The Carthaginians, hoping to acquire rich Italian farmland and Roman blood, have landed in Campania and attacked Capua. The 1st legio was recalled from Tarentum to deal with this new threat. As soon as the Carthaginians saw this force, they began to flee. Publius tried to cut them down but they ran too fast for his horses and the Legion returned to Capua victorious, but by default.

It was a terrible set back though. With Rome at war with Carthage, much trade would be lost, and another war was not needed. It did however help Quintus become a dictator and maintain his power over the Senate. This was no longer a war. It was a crisis.

As summer began to die down, Pyrrhus decided that now he had to strike. No force could relieve him and he and his men had run out of food. So they sallied. As the roman line held, Pyrrhus attempted to take his cavalry and elephants round to a different gate and to launch an attack on the roman flank. Quintus saw instantly and send his cavalry lead by a surprisingly old tribune to take the cavalry while velites attacked the elephants. It did not go to plan and many men died. It did hold back the cavalry and elephants though and allowed the roman infantry to destroy the Greek opposites. Now Quintus himself and the remnants of the cavalry charged down Pyrrhus and killed him. Now the velites launched another assault against the elephants. This time they sent the beast crashing to the floor. The sheer force made the ground shake. VICTORY! But at a cost. It was however good enough so that a garrison may be set up. Now they headed south. Tarentum awaited them.

Pyrrhus and his "Empire" were no more! Rome reigned supreme. With no more sizeable force in southern italy, the path was open for roman expansion. Carthage however would be a difficult obstacle to overcome. "However, so long as they only bring handfuls of troops, they shall be slaughtered like the dogs they ARE!" screamed Quintus to the Senate. He may have the senate eating out of the palm of his hand. But the plebians were still restless. Trouble was about to boil over at any minute.

LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC!

PS. What do you guys think? This is my first attempt at an AAR and any tips or criticisims would be helpful.

Its good i dont really have any criticisms except dont pause for screens just go for them in mid battle it looks better.
    I just started an AAR for Roma surrectum and i havent read many rtr AARs so keep it up

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Very nice AAR thus far, good to see more RTR fan-fare popping up. I like the way Carthage coming to Italy was mentioned, because it gave the epic feel of a country at war with two adversaries. One thing I'd like to see would be basing your 4th rule of not declaring war, rather on the traits of the generals. For instance if you have a general that's traits make him seem an ambitious one, why not have him defy the senate for wealth and glory? On the note of pictures, here's some tips I had concerning that on my "Making your own masterpiece" AAR guide on the RTR forums.

Disable Banners (turn show_banners to FALSE, in the preferences.txt file, located in the preferences folder of your RTR directory) ~ This is used some times so that the banners don't take away from the action, but if you feel you'd like to represent the units actually carrying banners in battle, feel free to leave it on.

Cursor ~ Make sure the cursor is in the lower display area and not on a button so that text doesn't get in the way. If you accidentally get the cursor in a nice picture, use the clone stamp featue in photoshop to replace the arrow with the background behind it.

Deselect Units ~ Press Enter to deselect the units so that they don't show the green circles under them when they battle.

Utilizing Pause ~ Make sure you utilize the pause feature(P key, or Pause button on some keyboards), so you can move around in the action and quickly unpause, capture, and re-pause. That way you don't miss the important stuff or lose focus on the actual battle. Make sure you don't take it with the ugly Pause message stamped in the middle though.

Display ~ Not sure about others, but I personally like just using the regular display and cutting it right above that, using an editing program to simply crop out the bottom and then re-sizing it, but if you choose to use the limited type, make sure you make the upper ones(Map/Commands) as Slide, so they aren't always visible unless you move cursor there, or else you get even less of a scope than on full display.

Graphics ~ Always turn the grass off first if you're having issues with skipping units, even at full settings it doesn't add much to the battle, and rendering the thousands of blades makes the game lag on most computers. Anti-aliasing is also one that causes lots of lag on most computers, mainly based on how well the specific video card deals with the feature. If you have to focus on one areas being higher, first make units huge for more carnage, then up the unit details. Another one to turn down is buildings in sieges, which are a large comtributor to lag and something that isn't being paid much mind anyways.
    Hope that helps some

All the Best,
    Chris
    RTR Public Relations

To Chapman: Yeah I just paused that game to have a look at the state of the battlefield and then noticed those elephants slaughtering my velites quite comically and couldn't resist.

To Augustus Lucifer: I like the idea of ambitious generals. I will consider this as well as maybe those who hate specific people. And I will take some of those tips like the grass etc...

There should be another update either tonight or tomorrow night.

No update tonight. I had an update ready to do with quite a few interesting developments, but there was a 3 second power cut, but needless to say I lost a fair bit of work (including college work). Sorry.

keep updating. Good start. But somehow, I noticed, AAR's are doomed to face pc problems or meltdowns...
    ..so ... be prepared...
    @Chris: can I also say I am in PR? :p
    Q.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Quinctius Cincinnatus View Post
    keep updating. Good start. But somehow, I noticed, AAR's are doomed to face pc problems or meltdowns...
    ..so ... be prepared...
    @Chris: can I also say I am in PR? :p
    Q.
    If your name is in the list in the dev area, which it appears to be, I'd say yes. I've always customarily closed my messages as such, just "RTR Public Relations" now seems more proper than "Capo Di Tutti Capi" or "Achtung! 0v3rl0rD"

@We shall fwee: Sorry to hear that, good luck getting it back together mate, and by that I mean the college work, AARs can wait.

All the Best,
    Chris
    RTR Public Relations

Part 3 - No where to run

After Victory over Pyrrhus, Southern Italy was ripe for the taking and Tarentum with it’s rich trade and resources was the jewel of the south. Early into the siege of Tarentum, a pathetic force from Croton was sent to relieve the city. It was however to weak to cause trouble. Even if the men outside the city had grouped with those in it. Quintus, set up his quincunx formation with his legions to face the Tarentine hoplites while his Italians face the solitary unit of levied poor men from croton on the flank. These Italians were entrusted to his Tribune and he routed them for few casualties in a clever manoeuvre. His spearman formed in the traditional Greek style with his swordsmen close behind. While the spearmen held the hoplites, the swordsmen and cavalry cam round both flanks and crashed into the rear of the hoplite.

Then the battle for the centre was a pathetic one. The Greeks had no heart for the fight. Bar the leader and his personal unit. They fought with bravery and distinction against impossible odds. The Greeks were made to pay for their cowardice and all were slaughtered as they fled. The battle against the better trained with the leader included claimed many lives and fought to the bitter end. Yet there was no glory as at Thermopylae. They died in vain as their Homes became Rome’s.

In the remainder of 278bc, Quintus hoped that he may bring some stability and order to the central Italy. Other than a small uprising of Italians close to Latium, which were of course slaughtered to the man, Things looked promising. The panic that once gripped Rome and other cities was dying down. The Carthaginian ships had left our shores. However, news reached of a Illyrian fleet amassing close to Italy. Sources report that it was a hostile force with men aboard. Eager not to start yet another war, he sent the 1st legio to show Roman strength and in an attempt to deter the pirates.

It didn’t stop the pirates from landing. They were however to cowardly to face the legion yet in defiance stood opposite them for many months as the camps assembled within a few miles. A much greater threat than a handful of poorly trained pirates were about to attack though. In Campania, the African Dogs had returned. They had a great army. Bigger than that of the entire Consular Legions. The 1st Legio had to leave the Illyrians and stand-off the Carthaginians. He recruited ever man that any province could spare.

The Consular legion was recalled by the Senate, but Quintus sent back a messenger saying,

“Senators, we rule supreme over the Tarentines and soon the Crotons and Lucanians shall follow. I must inform you however that as no garrison has arrived to hold the city when we leave, I have decided that the Legion must stay put. And anymore orders form them under my dictatorship shall be refused and all senators who vote in favour shall be enemies of the Republic.”

The Messenger was stabbed in the Forum for all to see. They could though, not afford a civil war anywhere near Rome. They instead sent a message to Publius Laevinius. Commander of the 1st Legio if he would support deposing Quintus when on campaign. This was if they survived the attack from the Carthaginians.

Also a funny incident when a single italian swordmen fought a corpse for five minutes until I thought it was no longer amusing, and just irritating.

good work and nice screens

MasterOfThessus's Avatar RTR Betateam Leader

Damn it looks like the AI gives you some trouble I'll follow this, nice writing.

pseudocaesar's Avatar Campidoctor

im amazed at the different armies, carthage and illyria?

Proud Roma Surrectum Team member.
    Local Moderator for Roma Surrectum forums. PM if you need help there.

Part 4 - Peace in the Republic

In the Summer of 277bc, Publius Laevinius agreed to meet for a meeting with several senators. He shared the desire to rid Rome of it’s power mad son. Publius, a already proven tactician knew that Quintus could not risk Rome falling to Carthage and would have to go along with a peace. Quintus location also meant that he was unable to reinforce his men and that he would be outnumbered should battle become necessity. So in the senate hall, it was decided to make Publius dictator and to send him to meet with Quintus.

Later that summer in Corfinium, a meeting between Publius and Quintus occurred. Quintus had long thought about strategy for his hold on power, and the survival of the republic. He noted though that he would be unable to beat the 1st Legio in a battle yet alone fight a prolonged war. He was here to secure as much as he could. He initially wanted to remain consul until the end of his term and continue his political life as normal. Publius however flatly refused this. He offered him one chance of redemption. He would take the majority of his armies not needed to guard cities, to destroy the Illyrians. As a reward, he would be granted the role of Praetor Urbanus (governor of Rome) for life. He would be a great governor, and the governorship of Rome was impossible to refuse.

As the first leaves began to sprinkle the fertile land around Tarentum, the remnants of the Consular Legion marched north to meet the Illyrians. Quintus last campaign was about to begin.

to be continued tonight

Part 5 - The last Campaign of Quintus

In the Autumn, Illyrians attacked Corfinium. Now Rome had to go to war with Illyria. Quintus hastened the advance of his men. They soon reached the beleaguered settlement and quickly engaged the army of pirates.

They were so poorly equipped and trained that it would have been more sense to hunt animals. They at least run fast enough to escape our horses. Even if only temporarily. This pirates were poor men with no armour and simple spears. The Hastati done the majority of the work with the cavalry killing all those whom routed from them. With every raider lying dead at his feet. Quintus ordered his men to prepare to move on Rome. This was a glorious return, for he had conquered great lands; but it was a defeat at the hands of the Senate. The senates victory ended debate amongst many that greedy men could make themselves king. As his men prepared to march, news reached Quintus from Rome. The letter read:

Great Quintus,
    The Carthaginians have camped just a mile outside the eternal city. Publius and his men move to confront them. You are needed immediately. We cannot stand around waiting for an attack. The news shocked Quintus and he prepared his men for another great battle. His campaigning days were not yet over.

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

I've read your AAR before it's great and this update is great too.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

Solaris's Avatar Ducenarius

You must be playing with BI, seeing as you've been on the receiving end of some many AI naval invasions.

yeah I am using BI. It can be frustrating sometimes when Carthage and Illyria just send pathetic stacks and besige central italy. Whats worse is when they bring a real army like carthage has done this time. It does make it more interesting though when the Carthaginians try to reclaim islands.

Part 6 - Safety and Peace

I apologise for this update as fraps didn’t work and I have no screenshots. ARGH!

During the winter, the 1st legio followed the Carthaginians, Quintus was allowed into Capua to reinforce his Consular legion, and a peace was agreed with Illyria. This peace settlement included trade agreements and map sharing.

In the month of Mars, 276bc, three armies set out to do battle to the south of Capua. Quintus, Publius Laevinius, and Himilco of Aleria. The Carthaginians were slightly outnumbered, but had their strength unified; while the Romans had devotion, training, and a desire to keep them and their people free.

As the sun rose high in the spring sky, Publius looked out over a vast Carthaginian line. He prayed that Quintus was able to bring his reinforcement legion. To his joy, Quintus did indeed arrive behind the Carthaginians. Here Himilco made his gravest of mistakes. He could have killed the 1st and then turned on Quintus, but instead fought 2 battles. As the warm Mediterranean air swept on Publius face, he mounted his horse and organised his legion. He would go against the traditional Quincunx and form a line of hastati and italic swordsmen with his princepes and Triarii in reserve to spring the trap. Himilco did take the initiative and attacked the men of the 1st but were repeatedly cut down and force to turn and flee. He continued to hold back the more experienced men. Across the battlefield, Quintus fell to Himilco’s sword and fell vanquished on the Campanian countryside. A cold breeze swept down from the mountains and the howling of a wolf rang thru the battlefield. Quintus may join Romulus and Remus in the glorious afterlife. The battle still continued and Quintus prodigy Flavius Macrianus took control and led the Quintus’s men to victory in their theatre. Publius had now faced many a charge and sent forth his elites and they charged, and they killed, and they crushed the now weak line of spearmen. As they fled, all the roman horses available charged down and slaughtered the Africans.

It was a great victory and one that shall be remembered for many years to come. Despite a great tactical victory, it would be the death of a great man, who died for the republic. Quintus had done many things in his life, He had killed Pyrrhus, defeated the Greeks of Italy (virtually), fended off Illyrians and Carthaginians alike. But he was killed at the moment of great triumph. While the retraining continued at a pace in all of Rome and central Italy, there was great mourning in the republic for a strong (if at times too strong) leader. The senate rejoiced and cheers could be heard from the forum on the arrival of the news.

For the rest of 276, the legions regrouped and retrained. The 1st legio marched to take Croton while Flavius Macrianus guarded central Italy. The Greeks had only a token resistance to offer and were brushed aside. The city was occupied and despite some unrest, was calmed so that the 1st might take Lucania. The city of Paestum was were Alcides would make his stand. It would be a gallant one too. He took many good Roman soldiers to the grave. The punishment for this insult was for the populous to be enslaved. The deserted city would be much easier to maintain order in. The 1st was allowed to rest in Paestum for a season until a garrison force could arrive. His men would enjoy their stay in Paestum before moving to once more reequip and reinforce for another push. This time, they would head north to their old enemy, the Etruscans.

Would there be any complaints if I sped up the Italian campaigns to get to a different arena. Like Iberia or Gaul? I just don't want the Italian Campaign to last too long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast