Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [RTR AAR] Glory for the Republic - Roman AAR

Solaris's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Glory for the Republic - Roman AAR

No complaints here.. as long as you link it properly instead of simply saying '20 years later...' etc. Carry on with ze gut work.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Also a funny incident when a single italian swordmen fought a corpse for five minutes until I thought it was no longer amusing, and just irritating.

I think the problem is that the unit has been split all over the battlefield (I find that happens with RTR PE - it's probably a 'feature' of RTW 1.5 or RTW BI 1.6) and it may be that the other 77 men in the unit are fighting somewhere else......

Sorry to hear the problem with FRAPS. Bummer! When I take 'in-game' screenshots I do the usual ctrl+alt+del to put them onto the clipboard, pause the game, switch over to paint shop pro, paste then go back to the game. A real pain but then I know what pictures I have. I do have FRAPS as well but I like to see what I've captured.

Do the AAR at your own speed and leisure - after all it will be you that has the hard time keeping interested in the campaign not us.

Nice to see the AARs started in this forum.
    Last edited by Brusilov; July 13, 2007 at 10:01 AM.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

To progress the story quicker, but to add extra intrigue, I will post war diaries of each Legion's comander. They will be posted similtaneously tomorrow night. They will be the diaries of Publius Laevinius, Flavius Macrionus and another general as the 3rd Legio is recruited. I am only testing this and may return to a normal method. Tell me waht you think when I release them tomorrow.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

The Diary of Publius Laevinius and the 1st Legio

The year 275bc was an easy one. We had taken Paestum the year before and now marched home to Rome for re-supply and to be re-equipped for the next campaign. We left the town for some Italian garrison forces and enjoyed a comfortable march home being cheered and having anything that the people could afford being given to us as a gift through all villages or farms we marched through.. All heralded me as their saviour, the plebeians, the equestrians. Even some of the lands ruled by Quintus hailed be as one of the greatest men alive. I did not care for their worship and wished to accomplish my father’s dream. To become a Consul and bring our family into the highest of Roman society. He died for the Republic, and I shall die before I let anyone destroy the republic. I promise that I will one day be Consul and we shall be remembered for all time father.

Spring 274
    As soon the leaves begin to grow, we march to the north. It seems that Gauls are heading south and that Flavius is to weak to meet them. I march along the coast as to bypass the mountains pass that Arretium is built in. This will take longer, but will save confusion in the mountains and will surprise the Gauls. I am however on orders to stand guard and under no means launch the attack. I must draw them to me if I am to end this episode speedily. Nothing better than a quick victory to please the Senate. I know that it won’t be decisive, but it shall help my popularity.

Summer 274
    Flavius lies to the Senate. That is outrageous. His ‘hordes of Gauls’ turns out to be a handful of desperate farmers. On hearing this the senate recall me. They tell me of the news that Carthage has made peace and that Rome will be safe. That is what the plebeians have been told. Then they tell me the truth. That as soon as the treaty was ratified, the Carthaginians land another great army. They inform me that another legion is being trained, but that they cannot help in the mean time. I must confront the Africans alone again. We attack as soon as possible. Mars bless us.

It was a hot day. It hadn’t rained for days and the earth was hard as stone. We looked at the seas. The sea of men and the great Mediterranean. We formed in traditional formation. We had extra cavalry however as I needed to tip the balance in our favour and would lead my body guards personally. My guards took the right while the Tribune, Lucius Aemillius took the Italian cavalry on the left flank. The infantry marched in formation while Lucius took his cavalry to engage the Numidians that the Carthaginians had brought. It did not however go to plan and his men were split in two and were both well beaten. Lucius managed to get himself and some of his men to safety and stood behind the line. The infantry then drew the Phoenicians onto them and engaged them with much success. I then led my men to harass and break up the Libyans and Phoenicians from the rear. In the heat of battle, the enemy general, Abydos Ptolemais, caught up with Lucius and killed him and his guards. I done my best to save him but was too late. I made the example of slaughtering Abydos and his guards. The enemy began to deteriorate as an effective fighting force and were crushed. Some may have escaped our swords, but they had no where to turn and were hunted like the dogs they were. Despite the glorious victory against a superior foe, I could not celebrate. Lucius was a good man and about to be given command of the newly formed 3rd legio.

We now went to Rome to replenish our numbers and to be celebrated as a hero once more. It does bore me to be used as a tool for some of these senators. One important thing to note is that I have been given a new tribune by the name of Amulius Corucanius. He is a well learned Roman and his father, Tiberius, is governer of Rome and his son is of the same cast; a brilliant organiser and most intelligent.

The Diaries of Flavius Macrianus and the 2nd 'Legio'

In the summer of 275 I began my march north with my legion. Although I was in command, I was not yet a Legate and the legion was unnamed. This was an insult. I had fought alongside our greatest ever leader. The man who killed Pyrrhus. Yet despite the education that was second to none, and military service alongside Quintus, They refuse to make me a Legate. I want my legion. I want my Rome. But that will be many years away.

We marched to Take Etruria and its major city of Arretium. As we set up camp, forward scouts showed that Gauls and Illyrians were attacking Umbria. For now I must not seek glory and follow the senate’s demand that the Etruscans be wiped out. It was an unfair penalty. Thy were the old enemy, but they had been crushed long ago. They were now a insignificant people. But to please the people, we must not show mercy to these people. I have been ordered to enslave these people.

We reached the city as winter began to set in. We made a comfortable camp, and the auspices made for a mild and dry winter. As the siege began, scouts brought news that the gauls had their heart set on both Umbria and Eturia. Could this be like the great plague of Gauls that sacked Rome those many years ago. I sent word to the Senate that large numbers of Gauls were heading south. They were not that numerous, but I needed to be given orders to defend the Republic. If I can fend off Gauls, they must surely give me the rank of Legate and allow me to progress militarily through the Senate.

Damn the Senate. “ Unable to complete the task of confronting the Gallic forces.” Do they know who I AM! They send my damn father in law Publius, Rome’s favourite son to do it. I despise him. He was responsible for Quintus death. I shall not rest till that is avenged. I must continue the siege but I mustn’t attack in case my men are needed. So no attempts at glory. Again.

They hate me. Publius has made me out a liar and a glory seeking, blood thirsty warmonger. This man seeks to destroy me. I hear he now has the chance to defend Rome against Carthage. What greater opportunity. His force is just as good as mine, yet they use him every chance they get. I want my chance to be great, I do nothing but stand outside these gates hoping that the Etruscans see sense.

This isn't actually any quicker. In fact it's slower, but much more enjoyable and gives me the chance to speak through the characters and tell more stories. What do you think people?

MasterOfThessus's Avatar RTR Betateam Leader

Looking good

The War Diaries of Publius Laevinius and the 1st Legio - Part 2

As the festivities draw to a close, I am ordered to the Campus Martius so that I may inspect the new recruits. They are Italians from Campania. They have been given to me so that I may take Rhegium from the remnants of the Campanians, who have a very strong garrison. The attack planned to coincide with the conquest of Umbria by Flavius so that we may unite Italia. I did however convince the Senate to allow me to attack first so that Flavius may be the man who united Italia. It was to be his first battle as Legate and he deserved it for his service.

So I began the march south. Our spies reported that the force led by Aeolus was strong. We would be however, able to march through that gates thanks to out spy. The problem was that the Carthaginians were close by. It appeared that they wanted to stop Rome taking the rich province and to leave it as a block to any attack against Sicily. The Carthaginians couldn’t afford another combatant in the eternal struggle for Sicily. The decision was therefore made to attack the city at night.

It was chaos. As soon as the Triarii and the Princepes marched in, they were set upon by hoards of Campanians. They stood their ground and tired the enemy into submission. They soon fled to the plaza in the heart of the city. I left the final attack to the Hastati how performed valiantly and successfully. It was a resounding victory. We could not wait long though as we needed to face Carthage.

This final entry is the writing of Amulius Corucanius. The Carthaginian army was strong. It contained a large cavalry contingent and a group of 6 elephants. Me, Publius and the Italian cavalry attacked the enemy cavalry. We were outnumbered. Publius ordered that we fall back but as we fled he was killed in a hail of spears. I took control of the battle as best I could. The first move was to march the velites against the elephants. The Elephants soon fell under the hail over javelins. Then the enemy general charged the velites. All his guards were dead and he was soon cut down by a brave young veles. The rest was chaos. There was no order and the maniples each fought on their own. It was a great victory, but luck was an important factor. I now march this legion back to Rome. I shall have many copies of this made, after it’s refinement and editing, as a reminder of a great Roman that shall live on forever in this text that shall have a great place in the new scriptorium in Rome.

The War Diaries of Flavius Macrianus - Part 2

It is the height of winter and the Etruscans are starving. They march forward in pomp and ceremony. I must admit they are still a proud and brave people. I drew the Legion into standard checkerboard formation and waited. It was not long before the Etruscans threw themselves at our line. Their leader Dymnos was no where to be seen. That was until a scout noticed him moving from the gate around the side of the city. Me and my Italian cavalry from Campania rode to meet them. They were weak and quickly broke. The Italian charged down Dymnos until he got bogged in the mass of men fleeing into the city. Here he was killed. The Infantry were mostly broken by now and when the Italians broke through the men fleeing through the gate, They surrendered. I wanted to let them live. But the senate ordered that I should enslave the Etruscans. It was a shame. Arretium was a beautiful city and now was barren, except for a handful of citizens needed to keep it running.

I marched home with the slaves that Roma demanded with my head held high. After my conquest of Etruria, they agreed to give me a promotion to Legate Legionis. This was a great honour and there was a celebration in the city. I hated the senate. A bunch of old fools. They did however have the masses in awe of them. That is why Quintus lost. He needed the people. The only way I can become Rome’s leader was through the people. As the festivities ended, the soldiers and the new recruits reported to the Campus Martius (field of mars).

As I took the control of my men, I was assigned a new Tribunis Militus. He goes by the name of Kaeso Poppaeus. We are ordered to march on Umbria, but at the last minute are held back a season the reason is so that I may win the final battle that unites Italia forever. How I would love to see Publius face when he found out. So I waited for a season, eager to hear of Publius attack.

News has reached from the south. Rhegium is captured and the last of the Campanian strongholds has fallen. Then the better news. While in the south, Publius confronted a large army of Carthage bent on controlling Italia. He was successful, but vanquished in the encounter. I am now Rome’s greatest commander and the bastard who killed Quintus. Me and the new 1st Legio marched to take Umbria and the town of Arminium.

I marched on the city walls and attacked them with 3 rams. I used them in co-ordination with velites who rained down a hail of javelin on the Umbrians, The princepes and their ram attacked the gate while the Hastati took a ram to the wall on either side of the gate. The velites forced the enemy into the security of the city streets. This allowed the Hastati to from strong battle lines across streets. As the Umbrians attacked one unit of Hastati, the other smashed into the back of them while the princepes marched and blocked the main road, stopping all reinforcement. The amazing luck continued as it appeared that the enemy general was in amongst the men that the Hastati had engaged and was cut down. The rest I left to Kaeso and the maniple of Princepes. He was victorious and Italia was Roman.

The War Diaries of Flavius Macrianus

As I returned to Rome a hero, Publius had still beat me. Even in death. The city was in mourning and my celebrations were cancelled. My glory was gone. So I went to the usual drill of re-supply and replenishing. I would now have a new tribune. He was Publius tribune in the battle outside Rhegium. He was a good man and competent. I had this young man as a result of Kaeso‘s departure. Kaeso had been given a Legio and was training with them now. The Republic is weak and they are using boys to do a man’s work. It was hoped that by the end of the year. There would be 3 Legions. Mine would be the 1st, Kaeso the 2nd and the 3rd was not yet assigned.

It appeared my united Italia was under attack already. To the north, the Gauls marched against Arretium; while to the south, the Carthaginians against Rhegium. I was ordered to lift both of these sieges and immediately marched north to beat the Gauls.

It now appears that the Gauls have fled before having to fight me. I quickly turn south to deal with the real threat. Carthage is unlikely to run. They are good fighters and will not break rank and flee without fight. Kaeso is now being summoned to take my station in the north. He is being assigned to the Gallic front and is ordered to conquer the town of Bononia. The logic being that it will protect Italians in Etruria and Umbria; as well as providing early warning of Gallic onslaughts.

It appears that the onslaught is now. The Gauls have attacked along the breadth of the border. I however am in the south. I will reach Rhegium within weeks. Then I shall crush the invaders and then petition the senate for a fleet to take me to Sicily. There is money to be made there. The Senate know it. There will be much influence to be gained. As well as grain. Lots and lots of money growing in the fields. It could be mine.

Kaeso has launched attacks against the Gallic hordes and they have fled our been cut down. He now marches to Bononia. There is a large garrison but no nearby reinforcements. The most prudent strategy is to wait. Kaeso sees this also. I believe I may have been wrong about this man. He seemed to young to command, but he has matured rapidly and is much more competent than I gave him credit for.

Victory. That is what it is called. But it is not a victory. The enemy just fled as they saw my men approach. I now marched to patrol the coast of the straits. We cannot allow the Carthaginians to land another force in the south. Or anywhere. News now filtered down from the north. Kaeso won a great victory against a massive Gallic army. However, in battle he was cut down while fighting amongst his men. It is a shame. It appears he was able to lead, but unable to keep a cool head in the heat of battle. I now waited for news from the Senate about my fleet.

Here are pictures of Kaeso’s campaigning. I have decided not to write diaries as he served so little time.

Kaeso and his Legio

Battle 1 - The enemy fled before I reached them so no pictures.

Battle 2 - Easy victory

Battle 3 - Another Easy Victory, but I forgot where he was and let him die. Whoops.

The above is Kaeso himself killing the Gallic general

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Great AAR. Say is that RTR or some mod that looks like it I have never seen those unit animations in it before.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

It's just plain old RTR platinum edition 1.9 with no extra changes. I may however change the Triarii to half size soon as there was half as many of them as there were the other maniples. But no changes or other mods.

Oh so it is the same old rtr
    Bomberboy's reviews

The War Diaries of Flavius Macrianus - Part 4

Well, the senate has decided to grant me my fleet, and it will be ready by the autumn, so the war will begin as the campaigning months come to a close. We will however not return to Rome this year and will remain in Sicily. And maybe another one after that. I shall control Sicily. If I can take Sicily, I can take Rome. Well news slowly filters down from the north that Valerius Civilus, a tribune with Kaeso has assumed command of the 2nd Legio, while the 3rd is completing it’s training. It will be under the command of Manius Aemillius. He too will head to fight the Gauls. I have always wondered about the Gauls. I have been taught my whole life to hate them, yet have never fought one. If a young tribune can be victorious against them, then it would seem a waste of my time to stand in front of them.

When the ships arrive in Bruttium, we board and land in the north-eastern corner of the island. The land is held by the Mamertines. We mean no harm to them and they leave us well alone. We do however mean harm to Carthage. A Carthaginian army is spotted on a small peninsula and promptly surrounded. We move in for the kill.

I marched the men, in formation, to meet the enemy. The land was flat, but there was a patch of woodland in the middle of the battlefield. The enemy used this as a roadblock thinking that I would not march straight through it. I did though and it prompted the enemy to try and stop my men from reaching open ground.

After my Italians fended them off. I launched an all out attack against the enemy lines. I used the numerical superiority I had to flank the enemy while they engaged the frontline.

As they began to dishearten, I charged the cavalry, under the command of my Tribune, into the rear of their formation and crushed them. The cavalry then chased down and killed every man. We were victorious and almost intact.

I then sent out a diplomat who accompanied me to try and make a deal with Carthage. In exchange for their Sicilian territories , Rome would make peace. They saw no other course of action and agreed to surrender. I was bemused as They still had significant military presence on the island and were a short sail away from Africa.

Now I see why they surrendered Lilybaeum. The city has been struck by a deadly illness. The people are angry. Those not in bed dying are rioting and destroying the city. I was however to get some mercenaries to hold down the city. The total deaths in the winter amounted to 2,000 souls. This is unsustainable. What was worse is that Carthage had broken its word and once again declared war. And now this war was not just restricted to the land, it now infected the seas. Titus and my fleet came under attack by the technically superior Carthaginian vessels but through weight of numbers won. They then were set upon by pirates. They were not successful this time round and were beaten heavily. He now returned to Rome for repairs, but also to pick up reinforcements and reserves for my men in Sicily. The land campaigning still had to go on.

We attacked a small army under the command of Theages. It number less than a third of our own army and was an easy battle. Theages was a brave man. At the start of the battle, he charged straight into the line and broke into the space behind the Hastati. Me and my bodyguards had to kill him ourselves.

His infantry suffered the same misfortune. They were all cut down and killed in bitter fighting.

This was the last Carthaginian force in Sicily and we ruled over Sicilica Poeni. We now attacked Cameretum and the city of Agrigento. It had a very large garrison and I decided to take it by starving them.

I was now becoming an old man. This was my last chance. If I fail in taking Sicily, then my dream is over. Even if I do take Sicily; I still have to take Rome. A delegate from the Senate comes to congratulate me on vanquishing the Phoenicians from Sicily and comes to offer the governorship of Sicily for life. If I take this, I will have glory and power, but lose Rome. I shall need to think. And besides, I need to conquer this island before I can rule it. He also informed me of events in the northern front. Valerius has been killed along with the majority of the 2nd Legio. Manius however defeated a massive army of 26,000 Gauls with his men. He did however lose half his number and has only 8,000 men left. He will soon take Liguria and push the Gauls back but it appears they have their sights set on Italia.

This is the last update for at least a week as I'm going on holiday.

The War Diaries of Flavius Macrianus - Part 5

In the winter of 268bc, the men of Agrigento surrendered their city to our men without blood spilt. The men were allowed to return to their families. I then gave the Italians the duty of protecting it and maintaining order. They are good men and almost comparable to the Roman men under my command. I do not see why these men are not given citizenship. The is also a new member of the Macrianus family. His name is Placus Caelius. He is going to take command of the 3rd Legio and I have had many meetings with the man. We have much in common on politics. He believes that the Italians should gain citizenship. He does however believe that the proletarii deserve more say and rights. I have warned him that these ideas are unorthodox and I have convinced him I hope to keep his mouth shut. He is however, steadfast in his believe. He is still only 30 and being brought up as a pleb has made him, ‘different’. He does however have ability and is intelligent if in need of education. That is why I have paid for his education in Rome before his command duties.

The sun is rising earlier, and the flowers are bursting into bright and vibrant life. Placus has this day, left for Patavium and may the god’s bless his march. The Gauls are determined not to lose the farmland in the Po valley and are fighting hard. I however have a predicament of my own. In Sicily, there is a stand-off. Within miles of each other in a mountain pass, stand my legion, an army of Carthage, and another of Syracuse. The problem is that if one should attack another, the third force shall strike at the weakened victor. So we stand here waiting.

The summer is upon us, and still we stand here waiting. I have, however, signed a ceasefire with the Carthaginians and they have agreed to take Syracuse. I know that they won’t take it. They can’t. They can weaken the defences there though. So I stand on this border to make sure the Carthaginians move on the Greeks.

This Autumn, I have two pieces of news from outside of camp. The first is a messenger from Rome informing me of the great victory of Manius Aemilius over an even greater horde of Gauls. This one numbered at least 30,000 and outnumbered him 2 to 1. And he accomplished this with few casualties compared to that of the Gauls. The other news was that Carthage had declared war against Syracuse and had marched to within a few miles of the walls. Soon they would fight and both would die as I marched into the great city.

News of events in Gaul have just reached me. All Gaul within the alps are Roman. Almost simultaneously, Manius took Mediolanium and Placus took Patavium. He has done well and brought our family honour. He is now famous. He has also made me famous for being the man who dragged him from the gutters of Roma.

Today, a messenger has recalled me to Roma for immediate talks in the senate. I set sail for this meeting. When I arrived, I was informed of the situation. The senate was worried about Macedon’s power and influence. Although we were allies, They had begun building an empire that stretched from the Sparta and ancient Greece, to the forests of Germania. They had until recently the kingdom of Thrace as a client kingdom. The worry is that once they reach our border, they will overrun us with more men than we could ever muster, or that they will attempt to force us into a subservient state. The meeting is to discuss how to use the gold from Carthaginian trade against the Macedonians without engaging them in conflict.

I hate sailing and it makes me most sick. I have had time to think about the problem however, and I have a plan to put forward. The idea is to cancel our alliance amicably and allying with the Germans and Thracians and sending them large amounts of Gold to wage war. While this indirect warfare wages, we build a fleet and when Macedon attacks, blockade all her ports in Greece and the Adriatic. This should starve her of much gold from trade, but also allow an assault against Greece proper. With no trade, and it’s economic heartland lost, they will be easy picking. I have to convince the senate first.

It is a partial victory. The Senate agrees to the alliances with the Germans and Thracians, but refuses to even consider an attack against Macedon while they have no quarrel. So I sail back to Sicily where, I am told, the Carthaginians have not moving from their camp. I shall have to stand here until they attack. That is if they ever decide to be prudent.

Good job. A lot of tension between rome and macedon.
    Bomberboy's reviews

is this aar over or is it coming back
    btw i like it

Unfortunatly so, realy should have said it was dead.

Thing is, I took a break to deal with college work, and then in the mean time lost the game when the PC decided it wanted to give me the BSOD and make me reboot it.

Thanks for the compliment, and for the encouragement and support I recieved from everyone. Hope you all liked it, despite the premature ending.

What a pity It was just so much fun to read

Oh... and for your next AAR (), you don't need a program like FRAPS or something to capture your screenshots, the game does it on it's own. Whenever you hit the Print Screen button, the games generates a .tga file in your activision/RTW/tgas folder (they're numered 0000, 0001, ...etc...). .tga files can be opened with GIMP or Fotoshop or something.

PatricianS

Didn't know that. If I get a chance over the holidays, i might do another adn use the tgas, but till then, I will do coursework and of course YATS!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast