Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who Are Your Rock Heroes?

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Default Re: Who Are Your Rock Heroes?

Lots of great choices here

@ asd21593: I would hardly call Akerfeldt the greatest musical composer since Mozart, but Opeth do kick ass.

@ Noble Savage: Good choice with Paul Di'anno. Everyone seems to talk about Bailey and Dickinson and seems to forget Di'anno.

@ asd21593: I'm seeing Symphony X and Dream Theater live in November

@ Søren: I'm pleased to say I like Leonard Cohen a lot more now. His music just needed time to grow on me.

To add to the list:
    King Crimson's guitarist Robert Fripp

Devon Graves, singer of the most underrated band ever (cos I say so), Psychotic Waltz

and Bad Religion's singer, Greg Graffin

And yes, Syd Barrett is a God.

Necromancer's Avatar Campidoctor

Like Hunter, my biggest Rock Idol is K.K. Downing. The man is a master of the fretboard. I remember when i was 12, I was watching a documentary on VH1 Classic about the history & foundation of Heavy Metal. And I saw a clip of Judas Priest playing 'Breaking The Law' Live from 1982. Rob had his hat and the studs and leather and Glenn had his leather jacket and his Strat and his red leather pants. And K.K. had his armbands and his vest and his big, beautiful red Flying-V. The part that was displayed was just before the bridge where Rob screams 'You don't know what it's like!!!' and then I heard it... the coolest main riff in heavy metal. And Glenn, Rob and K.K. were up front and bouncing back and forth to the beat. And I just K.K. and Rob and Glenn and I just thought... "THAT'S what a rockstar sounds like, THAT'S how a rockstar really looks!" Judas Priest cemented my fate into the Heavy Metal genre, and that's why they're my favorite Heavy Metal band, they look the best, they sound the best, they play the best.

K.K. Showing off a few of his guitars and some songs (2001, slightly outdated but totally worth the watch)

The Sentinel - 1986 Dallas, Texas

Breaking The Law - 1982 Memphis, Tennessee

Jawbreaker - 1984 Montreal, Quebec (One of KK's greatest solos!)

Rock Hard Ride Free - 1984 Montreal, Quebec (awesome solos by K.K. and Glenn!)

K.K. Downing is my #1 Rock GOD!!! He's inspired me more than ANY other musician I've ever heard. Hearing him play just makes me wanna go and rock the world!

hunter260859's Avatar Senator

kk downing is the whammy bar god

My own father, Jaanus Nõgisto

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I don't quite have the time to write anything up...

Jim Morrison

Eric Clapton

Jack Bruce

Ginger Baker

Robert Fripp

Duane Allman

Paul Rodgers

Andy Fraser

Paul Kossoff

Bill Bruford

Jimi Hendrix

Mitch Mitchell

George Harrison

Ray Davies

Rory Gallagher
    Last edited by Niles Crane; July 15, 2007 at 01:03 AM. Reason: I somehow forgot Rory Gallagher...

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Jimmi Hendrix

Stan 'The man' Webb

Jutta Nienhaus, from Analogy
    (sorry no pic, on the album cover she is naked...)

Gloria Lambert from Haymarket square
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

jimkatalanos's Avatar 浪人
    Patrician

Jimy Hendrix,David Gilmour,James Heitfield
    Ερωτηθεὶς τι ποτ' αυτώ περιγέγονεν εκ φιλοσοφίας, έφη, «Το ανεπιτάκτως ποιείν ά τινες διά τον από των νόμων φόβον ποιούσιν.

Under the professional guidance of TWC's Zone expert Garbarsardar
    Patron of Noble Savage, Dimitri_Harkov, MasterOfThessus, The Fuzz, aja5191, Furin, neoptolemos, AnthoniusII, Legio, agisilaos, Romanos IV, Taiji, Leo, Jom, Jarlaxe

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it.

The soul becomes dyed with the color of its thoughts.

If you desire to be good, begin by believing that you are wicked.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

οὕτως ἀταλαίπωρος τοῖς πολλοῖς ἡ ζήτησις τῆς ἀληθείας, καὶ ἐπὶ τὰ ἑτοῖμα μᾶλλον τρέπονται.

Questions are not necessarily there to be answered, but possibly there to inspire thinking.

Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri, - quo me cumque rapit tempestas, deferor hospes.

If mind is common to us, then also the reason, whereby we are reasoning beings, is common. If this be so, then also the reason which enjoins what is to be done or left undone is common. If this be so, law also is common; if this be so, we are citizens; if this be so, we are partakers in one constitution; if this be so, the Universe is a kind of commonwealth.

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.
    Knowledge of the complex is wisdom.
    From wisdom of the world comes wisdom of the self.
    Mastery of the self is mastery of the world. Loss of the self is the source of suffering.
    Suffering is a choice, and we can refuse it.
    It is in our power to create the world, or destroy it.

Homo homini lupus est. Homo sacra res homini.

When deeds speak, words are nothing.

Human history is a litany of blood, shed over different ideals of rulership and afterlife

Sol lucet omnibus.

You have power over your mind - not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Ο Νούς νοεί τον εαυτόν του ως κράτιστος και η νόησή του είναι της νοήσεως νόησις.

'Nothing is true, everything is permitted.' is merely an observation of the nature of reality. To say that nothing is true, is to realize that the foundations of society are fragile, and that we must be the shepherds of our own civilization. To say that everything is permitted, is to understand that we are the architects of our actions, and that we must live with their consequences, whether glorious or tragic.

among the usual hendrix/clapton/page fest john frusicante is mine. i was a huge peppers fan when i first got into music and i still think his guitar work is truly amazing. also when it comes to rock star antics setting fire to your arms (then your apartment with those) is pretty ****ing rock in my book
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Slash

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    @ Noble Savage: Good choice with Paul Di'anno. Everyone seems to talk about Bailey and Dickinson and seems to forget Di'anno.
    Ya man, tell me about it. I was actually gonna post Di'anno as one of my idols, but I forgot in the midst of writing my huge post for K.K. Downing. (And yes Hunter, K.K. IS the whammy bar God, he LOVES using that thing!)

Paul Di'anno had this rugged, harsh tone that just fit Iron Maiden's earlier material SO WELL! I actually think that he sounds better than Bruce when singing songs like 'Iron Maiden', 'Running Free', 'Killers', 'Phantom Of The Opera', 'Sanctuary' and other older Maiden hits.

As far as singing style goes, Bruce and Paul couldn't be ANY more different.

Paul has this harsh, rugged, droning voice that suits Iron Maiden's early down in the dumps, underground, wrong side of the law sound. A sort of "I'm up to no good, I'm on the run, I'm breakin' the law!" type of attitude.

While Bruce has a more forceful, booming operatic voice that has a more classical feel to it that is much more dramatic and suits Maiden's more dramatic pieces such as 'Hallowed Be Thy Name', 'The Trooper', 'Moonchild' etc.

How could "ANYONE" forget the awesome voice of Paul Di'anno. I don't care what all of the Heavy Metal 'Critics' & "Experts" said/say. Di'anno had an AWESOME singing voice. Listen to 'Strangworld', 'Remember Tomorrow', 'Prodigal Son'. Now, try and tell me that he can't sing. He has a great voice, when he sings high up, he doesn't even have to go into falsetto if he doesn't want to. Proof? 'Purgatory'.

Phantom Of The Opera - Live at the Rainbow

Iron Maiden - Live at the Rainbow

Ides Of March (Intro) & Wrathchild - Live at the Rainbow 1980

Killers - Live at the Rainbow (Original Lyrics)

Charlotte The Harlot - Live 1980 (Stratton era)

Another Life - Live 1980 (Stratton era)

Running Free - Pop Rock TV (German Program from the 70's and 80's)

Women In Uniform

It's too bad that they had to let him go. He just got too involved in the booze and blow... what a shame. i mean, I'm glad that we have Dickinson... But there was just SOMETHING about Di'anno...

BTW...God, maybe some rep for the Di'anno explosion right there???

I must say Im shocked at most of this. Dorian Gray, great list.

I havent even seen one mention here of John Lennon.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

I think because it may seem too cliche' to have Lennon. But Lennon is definetely a hero in my book. Not as big as Rob Halford or Randy Rhoads. But he's still a hero to me.

Speaking of Randy...

Randy's Crazy Train Solo - Live in New York City 1980

“I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane." -Ozzy Osbourne

R.I.P. Randy...

Randy Rhoads, the original guitar god...
    Last edited by Necromancer; July 06, 2007 at 01:54 PM.

asd21593's Avatar Tiro

@ asd21593: I would hardly call Akerfeldt the greatest musical composer since Mozart, but Opeth do kick ass.

i always knew God was an Opeth fan

http://twcenter.net/forums/member.php?u=28706
    my profile ^^^
    MY AARS
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108089
    MASTERS OF THE EARTH --- Massive Multi-Game AAR FINISHED
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=111310
    MASTERS OF THE EARTH 2 --- M2TW Byzantium Campaign FINISHED

Randy Rhoads, the original guitar god...
    Try Eric Clapton
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

that picture of clapton is god was my screen saver for two years, the guy is a legend
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

"Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post
    Try Eric Clapton
    Ya well, Clapton was the BIGGEST stoner for YEARS!!! He'd be performing on stage completely blitzed. I can't respect a man who plays on stage while he's hammered. I have a lot more respect for him now because of his sobriety. I do like Clapton's work. But... does Clapton have THIS to brag about???

Randy Rhoads lit up the world faster than any other musician before him. 2 years is all he had before he would die in a plane crash. He's praised as Heavy Metal's favorite son. One of the founding fathers of the Heavy Metal sound, yet when growing up he was too poor to afford a TV or radio, so he had to improvise and base his music off of the music that he actually DID hear. The results were some of the most amazingly intricate rhythm, lead and solo work ever heard in Rock 'n Roll and Heavy Metal.

The Original Guitar God

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    Matthew Bellamy.
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven where there are no horses" - R.B. Cunningham-Graham

Publius Clodius Pulcher's Avatar Senator

Clapton is the Original Guitar God!

And thanks Dorian, I thought that all of classic rock was going to be discarded for metal for awhile there.

Let's hit some missed ones.

Creedence Clearwater Revival

One of the best examples of Southern Rock. These guys could just ROCK!
    Specifically John Fogerty.

Ummm....Did we forget a little band called Led Zeppelin?!?

Looking straight at Jimmy Page, who came up with (or stole) someof the most memorable tunes in rock.

Or what about those hard-rocking aussies called...

AC/DC

Specifically the Young brothers, and Bon Scott. The man died drowning in his own booze soaked vomit, how can you get a more badass death?

And this bird you cannot change!!......Ronnie Van Zant

Created some of the best southern rock ever, and never surrendered his values, with songs about the dangers of handguns and drugs. He also remebered his roots, creating songs to tribute his musical forefathers, like "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe".

God

Rocking for over 40 years,and still the greatest.

Gene and Dean Ween

Making most of the only good music after 1990. Seriously, check em out

Rest in Peace Smokin Levon Helm

Brett Anderson

Damon Albarn

Mani (from the Stone Roses)

Johnny Marr

Jarvis Cocker

Jimi Hendrix

Not exactly rock but you can't stop me!
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo