Thread: Did samurai surrender on the battlefield?

Mig el Pig's Avatar Senator

Default Did samurai surrender on the battlefield?

The last few days i've been trying to find out if samurai ever surrenderd or were taken capture on a battlefield.

I know they often had ceasefires and truces after a battle but i'm looking individual surrenders of samurai on a battlefield instead of taking their lives.

~Beren~'s Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Did samurai surrender on the battlefield?

I'm not really sure, but I did hear that some samurai never live up to their conduct. Some are rebellious, disloyal, and even cowardly. So, it is a possibility, but we don't have enough knowledge or evidence that showed a samurai surrendering to be sure. At least, I don't...

even if they did surrender, i don't think their enemies would had let them live, samauri killed most who surrendered to them, or treat them bad

Not all Samurai, but you can bet your house that some did.

Something to consider is that the warrior code didn't exist until the wars ended.

So its probably fair to assume that the stigma of surrendering didn't exist or was similar to any war ravaged society.
    Last edited by Romanized Spartan; July 06, 2007 at 08:36 PM.

LuciusCato's Avatar Tiro

Ashigaru Probebly surrendered. Depends on the period i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanized Spartan View Post
    Something to consider is that the warrior code didn't exist until the wars ended.

So its probably fair to assume that the stigma of surrendering didn't exist or was similar to any war ravaged society.
    The first mention of seppuku is found in the Hogen Monogatari which is a history of Taira/Minamoto conflicts in 1156. The idea of seppuku to evade capture was thus already common in the 12th century whereas bushido wasn't codified until the 18th century. The first distinct seppuku recorded during battle was in 1180 at the battle of Uji, however, and obviously comes after the Hogen Monogatari.

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

Live and learn

Given this fact I have to say I'm inclined to think that Darth Alec is right.
    Last edited by Romanized Spartan; July 08, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanized Spartan View Post
    Live and learn

Given this fact I have to say I'm inclined to think that Darth Alec is right.
    it's cool... I just happen to have a virtual book depository on Japan because about 3/4 of my Asian studies concentration in my bachelors focused on Japan so when I see a thread about anything Asian if I don't know th answer right away I can usually reach right behind me and find a good book.

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

Civis

They werent supposed to but theres bound to be a few.

Count of Montesano's Avatar Civitate

It's been awhile since I studied Japanese history in college, but from my studies I'd have to say yes, there were times when samurai surrendered.

Take a look at the Battle of Sekigahara, which you can think of as the Japanese Battle of Hastings due to the fact that Tokugawa Ieyasu solidified his power over the entire country after the fight. First of all, a large number of enemy daimyo defected to Tokugawa's side either before or during the battle when Tokugawa promised them lenient treatment for changing sides. Also, a number of enemy clans such as the Shimazu and Tosa received pretty lenient treatment after losing the battle. Most of the surviving samurai and their families were spared - even the leaders were sent into exile rather than being executed. It should be noted that these clans would eventually overthrow the Tokugawa Shogunate several centuries later and restore the emperor to power after Japan was "opened" by the West.

It was considered more honorable to die a warriors death (in battle or seppuku) than surrender.
    I think thats what they had to do according to bushido (way of the warrior)