Thread: [RS AAR] Roma Surrectum - A Macedonian AAR

pseudocaesar's Avatar Campidoctor

Default [RS AAR] Roma Surrectum - A Macedonian AAR

The Shadows of Olympus

Ok so this is my new AAR, im BETA testing Macedon at the moment so I thought I would write an aar while I am at it.
    Campaign is played on H/H, no cheats except toggle fow, and no reloading after losses or heroic deaths. I must attack rebel armies as soon as possible, and I cannot retreat from any battle, no matter how bad im going to have it. OK so moving onto the aar, basically im going to reconquer Alexanders Empire, although it will take me more than 10 years lol, and even though the map doesn’t go as far east as his empire which is a shame (roll on the new map). It’s a shame you can’t recreate the characters perfectly, so the names in game will replace the historical people.

Introduction:

The great Antigonid dynasty is still young, and still recovering from the decades of civil war after the death of Macedon’s greatest hero, Alexander. It is 31 years to the day since Antigonus I Monophthalmus, our founding father died gloriously in battle. He tried to lead our men back into power, only to be slain by the scum Prepelaus, Lysimachus, Seleucus I Nicator, and Pleistarchus. Thankfully we are on our way to former glory, after Demetrius I Poliorcetes survived and gained control of Macedonia proper. Only the Seleucids remain of that battle, and they will get what's coming to them, on the tips of Macedonian Sarissa’s.
    Antigonus II, our king, has ushered in a new era, Macedon now holds its homeland firmly and he has created a stable kingdom. It is up to his sons however, to take the fight to the rest of the world. Alliances need to be forged, war waged, glory reaped and riches won, all in the name of the great Antigonid dynasty. No longer will we sit back and do nothing, Macedon is looking east, to the land of the rising sun. Nothing stopped Alexander, and like him, the world will be at our feet. We will come for the world, us Macedonians, who live in the shadows of Olympus.

Chapter 1 – The Plains of Ipsus

“This is it Demetrius, we win this battle, and we have Alexanders Empire at last” said Antigonus.
    “We are sure to win father, we outnumber them soundly”
    “Numbers alone confer no advantage my son, remember that. Never walk into battle relying on sheer numbers to win the day. One must plan and study the battleground, his enemy, his own army, and come up with a sound strategy,” said Antigonus.
    “Yes father, I understand,” stated Demetrius, watching his father astride his magnificent charger.
    Antigonus was an ancient man, 80 years old, yet as strong as any of the Pezhetairoi on the front line. Antigonus’ kingdom extended over much of Asia Minor, down into the Palestine, and had effectively neutralised all threats to his control over Alexander’s incredible territories. However after not being able to chase down Lysimachus and Cassander and bring them to battle, Seleucus along with his son Antiochus arrived from behind and forced Antigonus into battle. It was the battle to decide the fate of the Diadochi, who would inherit Alexanders Empire?
    “Deepen the phalanx, we have superior numbers, I want them to know that” Ordered Antigonus.
    “Sire, would it not be wiser to lengthen the line, and force the enemy to thin his own line?” asked Demetrius.
    “No, do you not see over there on the far left flank, he has hundreds of Elephants, and I know for a fact he will send them charging at my front”
    “I see that, but we have superior advantage in light infantry, they are capable of handling the elephants” stated Demetrius

“I see where you’re coming from son, we cannot commit our light infantry to his elephants, they are needed to hold the front and combat the enemies skirmishers. I am placing you along with the majority of the companion cavalry on the right flank. There you will face Antiochus, Seleucus’ own son, and drive him off the battle field”

“I am honoured father. Are there any further orders?” asked Demetrius.
    “No, take up your position on the flank, good luck my son”
    “May the gods keep you” said Demetrius as he rode off to his position.
    The vast plains of Phrygia rolled on to the horizon, the only disturbance, the standards of the army in the distance. The thunder of hundreds of thousands of feet stamping the earth, the pounding of elephant feet, the slamming of hooves into the ground created a thunder so loud and so intense it was as if Zeus himself was raining his lightning bolts onto the battleground himself.
    Antigonus placed his phalanx in an oblique fashion, stacking his right flank with men for local numerical superiority. Together with the massive numbers of cavalry on the flank, his strategy was to turn the enemies left flank and roll up on the centre.
    Antigonus placed the skirmishers and light infantry in a frontal line, ahead of his phalanx, to break up the enemies’ own phalanx, and placed the Hetairoi cavalry under his sons command. Together with his son was the deposed Epeirote Pyrrhus, a young, confident and talented commander.
    “For Alexander”, Antigonus murmured to himself, as his army started marching forward. He knew in his heart that this was his last battle, victory or not. He could feel it in his soul that this was his day, and resolved to go down in all his glory.
    His army marched on, closing the Stadia between them at a slow pace, no need to waste energy. He looked at the many different men fighting for him, and willing to die for him and he swelled with pride as he surveyed the army. On the left flank of his phalanx were the Pantodapoi, easterners armed and trained in the great Macedonian way. He then surveyed his very own Macedonian troops, the core of his phalanx, the Pezhetairoi, his foot companions. The glory of Alexander was one on the backs of these men, together with their brothers, the Hetairoi cavalry. The companion cavalry were the best of the best, and were undefeated. Together with his companion cavalry he also had under his command, allied Greek cavalry, Tarantine light cavalry and Median light cavalry.

The sun was blazing, the sky perfectly clear, and no breeze, which meant things, would get dusty. The two armies came into contact in an inglorious fashion, the skirmishers exchanging javelins from a distance and closing into hand-to-hand combat. Antigonus sheer numerical advantage forced the opposing skirmishers to retreat before being overwhelmed, Antigonus retreating his own in place of his phalanx.

The two Phalanxes crashed together with a tremendous explosion, in the first seconds hundreds of men on both sides were crushed and ran through with each other’s sarrisae. The Macedonian Pezhetairoi pitted against the Seleucid silver shields men, neither giving nor taking any ground as the battle intensified.

Demetrius knew it was his time to enter the battle,
    “Macedonians! Fight! Fight for the Antigonids! Fight for the memory of Alexander!” Shouted Demetrius as he launched his charger into a sprint.
    The Hetairoi shouted their war cry and took off after their prince, raising a cloud of dust that blocked out the view of their surroundings. The horses thundered along the plain, the enemy forces drawing closer at an incredible pace. The noise of the horses and the shouts of the riders struck fear into the asian cavalry, they already started to turn before the Hetairoi even made contact.

“Follow these fleeing scum! These men without honour, chase them down and slaughter them!” shouted Demetrius, driven into an unrecognisable fury by the battle.
    “Sire, we should hold our position, we are vulnerable here” shouted Pyrrhus over the noise of the battle
    “NO! Push on! We have them! We have them!” replied Demetrius
    “Yes sire!” said Pyrrhus as he launched his horse after the fleeing enemy.
    With the entire left flank laid bare the Seleucid Phalanx was in severe danger, when out of no where came the elephant reserve, smashing into the Hetairoi with a tremendous explosion of mangled body and crushed horse.
    “We are cut off! Retreat, retreat! We are lost!” Screamed Demetrius, stunned from the sudden turnaround.
    The elephants were wreaking havoc on his cavalry and if he didn’t retreat soon there would be no cavalry left.

“We cannot make it to the king! The entire battle is lost! We must retreat and regroup in Ephesus. Men, with me! We can still win this war, this day is not ours” Shouted Pyrrhus as he and Demetrius took flight, with a last glance over their shoulders to see the entire army being destroyed.

The Pezhetairoi were routed, and old Antigonus still fighting like a bull, trying to regroup his men. Demetrius was staring at his father with agony on his face, knowing to try and re-enter the battle would be suicide. He could only sit and watch his father die, pierced by a cloud of arrows and javelins. He watched his fathers body being destroyed, and with it the hopes of regaining the empire of Alexander.
    “Not today father, but soon, I swear on my life that I will avenge this death. The world will hear the name Antigonus, from my lips it will.

Proud Roma Surrectum Team member.
    Local Moderator for Roma Surrectum forums. PM if you need help there.

Default Re: Roma Surrectum - A Macedonian AAR

Chapter 2 – Resurrection
    It was 496 years since the first Olympiad when I first encountered Euenus, and here I am, an old man, getting ready to cross the river and enter Hades. I feel I should tell this story, the story of great glory, tragedy, heroes and evil. The story of an epic conquest, spanning decades, of gaining many territories and subjugating millions. My name is Dioceles, I was born in the city of Corinth, and I was present for the gathering of the largest force under Macedonian banners in many years.
    I was a mere boy at the time, with only the slightest hint of whiskers on my chin, and as I watched the thousands and thousands of men and beast called under the Antigonid banner, I was struck dumb. I had only ever known the local levy used for order on the streets, and here I was staring upon the glory that is the Macedonian military. It was then that I decided my destiny was not as a butcher as my father wished, it was with these men, I decided then to follow them. To the ends of the earth, to the afterlife if necessary.
    I decided not too tell my father, I know he would tell his friends in the city patrol and they would catch me before I walked fifty paces. So I decided to wait it out, and just leave the night the army set out. It indeed was an incredible sight, camped on the plain for as far as the eye could see, the fortifications across the Isthmus were truly immense. My father explained to me this was a sure fire way to encourage the Athenians to fight. They were separated from their allies on the Peleponnese now, and with the Macedonian fleet just off of Attica, things were sure to heat up. To me this was all fuel for my fire, the fire burning inside me, the flames heating my desire to prove my worth as a warrior, looking back it was just wishful dreaming. I had no idea my life would end up the way it has, yet I regret nothing.
    I was separating the meat from the bones of a cow my father had just skinned at our stall in the Agora when a man came up to my father and told him some news. Even though my father was just a butcher, he used to be a famous warrior, and fought in many battles, his scars proving his valour. It was for this reason that he still held considerable prestige in the city, and was kept informed of recent events. I went about my work, trying to catch every detail of the conversation without being obvious that I was eavesdropping.
    “Your sure? Don’t lie to me Themistos” I heard my father say to the stranger.
    “Why would I lie about a matter of this bearing?” said the stranger.
    “But then this means war, we knew it was coming. I didn’t expect them to act so rashly,” he continued.
    “Well, old Demetrius had the Athenians backed into a corner. They had to act, or face complete isolation”
    “Demetrius…he goes by Antigonos now, after his father. In any case, war was inevitable, it was just a matter of when it would happen.”
    “Yes, my thoughts exactly. This time I feel the Athenians need to be punished, I am sick of them. They damn near ruined us in the great Peloponnesian war.” The stranger said.
    “We got them in the end though, and we will do it again. With the defeat of their fleet, they have nothing left” I heard my father say.
    “That is true, yet they still have allies and armies abroad that are on the way home now” said the stranger.
    “Boy, I know your listening, what have I told you about spying?” my father said as he suddenly looked at me.
    I didn’t know what to do; I froze, expecting a hiding.
    “Im sorry father, its just these matters interest me deeply, especially after hearing your tales!” I stammered.
    My father looked at me and sighed, “Son, the things I’ve seen, the pain I’ve experienced. I have watched men that were like brothers too me die in front of my own eyes. I have marched that far I have thrown up from the exhaustion. I suffered more pain than I will ever want anyone to experience. That is why I am now a butcher, and that is why you won’t be running off with the army, I have my eye on you son”
    I couldn’t reply, I looked away and continued slicing the beef, with tears in my eyes.
    I left home that night, looking back; I probably do regret one thing. Not leaving home, as that led to a most eventful life, but the fact that I never did see my father again. I met my mother some years later, and that was a most joyous occasion, but it was also sorrowful, for I learnt of my father’s death. This hurt me deeply, it tore me from the inside, I never had a chance to apologise to my father, and to show him the man I had became.
    I set off as soon as I knew my father was asleep, and didn’t look back. I had with me a large carving knife, and some bread and olives for the trip. I set off for the camp of the army, I don’t really know why, as in my heart I knew that I was too young to fight. I thought perhaps I could start off as an orderly and when I came of age I would join the ranks, I was kidding myself but I was young and foolish. So I set off none the less. I was about two Stadia from the camp fortifications when I heard the thunder of horse’s hooves. I had nowhere to hide, and I couldn’t possibly outrun a horse, so I simply stood and waited. I figured it would be a Macedonian patrol, and not likely to be in any danger.
    The men on the horses approached me,
    “Identify yourself boy, we wont hesitate to open you up” ordered the most impressive of the riders.
    “I am Dioceles, son of Aristocles, Corinthian,” I said proudly.
    “Aristocles, the Corinthian general?” said another of the men.
    “Yes sir, that is true. He is but a humble butcher now” I continued.
    “I know the man, he fought under my father. What are you doing out here on these plains young Dioceles, son of Aristocles. You could have been killed without hesitation by any other patrol.”
    “The truth sir? I dream of glory, I want to fight, to crush my enemy and to conquer his lands. Nothing will stop me obtaining my goal,” I told him, standing straight and speaking loudly and clearly.
    “I have a feeling your father would object, should I choose to tell him,” said the first man.
    “Please, do not deny me my right. It is his choice to retire, let me make my own mind”
    “Fear not boy, I can see in you a fire burning rather intensely, and I have no wish to anger the gods by trying to quench the flames”
    “Thank you, wise lord, tell me. Who am I speaking too, so I know who to repay when the time comes,” I said.
    “ Euenus boy, Prince Euenus, son of Antigonos, the King of Macedonia.”
    “Sire, I apologise, I had no idea, forgive my forwardness, I would not have spoken to you had I known you were Prince Euenus.”
    “No, please stand again. I like you Dioceles, and you have gained my esteem tonight. If you choose to, you may join my army. If you wish it so, you will be my personal assistant, and should you choose to join the army, I would gladly supply you with the armour. When you’re older of course. Do not worry, you wont be my slave, you will be paid a generous wage” said Euenus.
    I was shocked; here I was expecting a beating for talking to the prince in such a manner, yet now I have been offered a position of incredible importance. I could only manage to look at the prince, astride his mighty horse, and say,
    “Thankyou”.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Nice one!

bomberboy's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah loved the bit at the end with the dead and the dying shot. Good speech and story line.
    Check out my Music reviews here now!
    Bomberboy's reviews
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=175306

another installment is on the way, this weekend for sure. Uni is hectic atm, ive been back for two weeks of second semester and i have a total of 4000 words in essays to write already, a textual analysis on the Athenas representation in her encounter with Telemachus in the Odyssey (for intro to classical literature) and i have an on going semester long project for Geography and Environmental studies lol (surverying the pollution, wildlife, foreign plant species in a creek system lol)

Chapter 3 – Conflict in the south

…The kingdom was finally reunited under a common banner, far too long were we out of control, all that is past is done and all we can do is look to the future. I am an old man, my legacy is in my sons, I have done all I can, and I hope it is enough.
    “That’s what he told you, Euenus?” Said Gyras.
    “Yes, I was deeply affected by this letter, its as though he has confined himself to death already” replied Euenus, the creases of worry on his face betraying his calm voice.
    Gyras sighed as he looked at his brother, although Gyras was the oldest son, and respected among the aristocracy, he could see why the people loved Euenus. Sure enough, they liked the both of them well, and the kingdom was very loyal to the Antigonids, as far as he was aware, every city was quite content with the Antigonid rule. As he watched his younger brother run his hands through his hair, still holding onto the letter with a pained expression, he let his mind wander. Gyras dreamt of conquering lands, extending the rule of Macedonia back through Asia like Alexandros. Often as a child he would lie in bed reading the works of Ptolemy and Callisthenes dreaming his dreams of glory. In his heart he knew that it was in his brother that the internal flame burned, yet he was not jealous. He was proud of the esteem Euenus and their father Antigonos held him.
    “The situation worsens older brother” Euenus said as he looked up at Gyras.
    “I heard, those damn Athenians and their cries about freedom and democracy, it sickens me. We have the most stable country in the known world, free from civil strife and ill health. Athens is a backwater, clinging onto its former glory like a dog chewing on a decayed bone” Gyras said with malice in his voice.
    “I feel you brother, they mock us. The spit in our face and ally themselves with the scum over the Aegean, the Kydonians and damn Rhodesians. Thinking we cannot reach them over the sea. Athens is nothing but the black wick of a candle after the flame has been extinguished. They have no navy left, no army, so they cling to their allies.” Said Euenus.
    “Now brother, now is the time to act. They are weak, we need to cut them off and starve them inside their own walls, and accept nothing less than total submission, once and for all.”
    “Are you with me brother? Euenus asked, “Will you follow me Gyras?”
    “To Hades’ gates of the underworld if need be”
    They embraced, and called council that very night.
    So it was decided that Athens be cut off, a naval blockade was put in effect immediately, and with the Macedonian camp practically within shouting distance, the Athenians were stuck. Confined in Attica with none but themselves to blame, or to help them.
    Carpus and his little entourage rounded the last bend in their journey towards the Epeirote capital, and started walking down the gentle slop towards the city gate. The gate itself was wide open, people walking in and out with a bustle, out to the fields, returning from errands, mostly slaves. Carpus approached the gate, announced himself, and was shown to where he would spend his visit. He knew not how long he might be in Ambrakia; it could take weeks to sort out a mutually beneficial agreement. Although Epirus was an ally of Macedonia in previous years, the agreement fell apart upon the death of Alexander, and now Antigonos sought to repair the rift that had opened.
    Carpus had an attendant bathe him and he stood as the young man towelled him dry eating grapes, pondering the formal evening ahead. He thought to himself of what to say and how to flatter his guests, for he was most skilled in this art, the art of diplomacy as he puts it himself.
    “Remember your limits sir, King Antigonos did point out that he wants to be the better off for this exchange…” said one of the attendants.
    “But without walking out carrying a sack of gold, my boy I know the intricacies of human communication. Il give them dog **** and tell them were hard done by and they will believe it.” Retorted Carpus.
    For several days Carpus spent hours with the negotiators from Epirus, making agreements here, coming up with a plan there. All in all, he spent two weeks in Ambrakia, and he was thoroughly satisfied with the result. Macedonia had secured nearly all of Epirus’ exports, along with detailed maps of the lands to the west, and an agreement of military assistance should the need arise. Carpus made his way back home to Pylos, where he decided to await a summons for another mission he no doubt knew would be coming.

“Sire, the first fleet was ambushed by the Athenian navy off the coast of Attica. Admiral Mistocles was forced to retreat or suffer a complete defeat. The Athenians followed closely, but when they rounded the headland they ran into the main fleet, Admiral Alcaeos defeated the Athenians easily, and sailed up to Piraeus and effected the blockade completely” said an orderly.
    “Perfect, time to kick off the campaign then! Now is the perfect time, send word to the army, we march in two hours, I want those men on the move by noon” said Euenus.
    A short while later Gyras was announced and entered Euenus house in Corinthus.
    “Greetings brother! I feel I should give you a fine send off before you partake in this most important of campaigns. Myself, I shall head east to Euboea, where I need to sort out some things.” Said Gyras.
    “It is with deep sorrow that I say my farewells. I wish you would join me, I may be shining on the battlefield, but I miss your wisdom and advice that only an older brother can provide. Take care Gyras, my heart weeps at our departure.”
    “Be strong Euenus, I know you have a fire burning in your soul, yearning for great deeds, and I know you will accomplish many” said Gyras, and with a clasp of the hands, he turned and left.
    Several days later, Euenus and his army reached the walls of Argos. Within a month, Euenus had built the necessary siege works and attacked the city, he knew the defending force was to small to be an effective opponent, and wasted no time.
    He strolled along the recently conquered streets, going through the memories of the battle...