Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sentaor Runs Over and Kills own Grandchild....

Space Wolves's Avatar Primicerius

Default Sentaor Runs Over and Kills own Grandchild....

Quote:
    Wis. lawmaker drives over granddaughter

The Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. --

A state senator accidentally drove over his young granddaughter Friday, killing her, the senator said in a statement.Sen. Dave Hansen said he was leaving to attend a meeting when his granddaughter ran out of the house and got behind his car. Hansen said neither he nor his wife knew the girl had run outside.
    The girl, Elliana Zaidel, was to have turned 2 on Wednesday.
    Hansen said he is in deep shock and attending to the needs of his family.
    The accident happened at Hansen's home in Green Bay at about 8:40 a.m. The toddler was sitting on a sofa when her grandmother left the room to get a blanket so the two could snuggle after the senator left for his meeting, said Jay Wadd, the senator's chief of staff.
    The girl then ran outside.
    "It happened that fast," Wadd said. "I think Ellie wanted to be with grandpa. She just loved him."
    Green Bay Police Lt. Mike Graham issued a statement calling the girl's death a "tragic, unfortunate accident. There are no pending criminal charges."
    Zaidel is the daughter of Paul and Cathy Zaidel of Stiles, a tiny town just north of Green Bay, Wadd said. Hansen and his wife have baby-sat the girl for about a year while her parents worked.
    A 59-year-old Democrat, Hansen has been in the state Senate since 2001. He has three daughters and seven grandchildren, according to his official biography.
    A tan car with a door ajar sat halfway down Hansen's driveway late Friday morning as police investigators took measurements at the scene.
    Neighbor Mike Maloney said neighbors comforted a distraught Hansen and his wife, Jane.
    "I just can't imagine it happening. It's terrible," Maloney said.
    Kids and Cars, a child safety advocacy group in Leawood, Kan., said about 50 children are backed over in a driveway or parking lot every week in the United States and at least two die.
    The typical child is 12 months to 23 months old, and 70 percent of the drivers are a family member of the child, said Janette Fennell, founder and president of the group.
    Kids and Cars is promoting a bill in Congress that would require automakers to make it easier for drivers to see what is behind them, either with better mirrors, bigger back windows, cameras or sensors that automatically stop the vehicle.

http://www.charlotte.com/nation/story/196256.html

20,284 Officers Lost in the Line of Duty as of 2010-12 this month- 124 this year
    Red: Suspect inflicted: Blue Accident
    Officer Christopher A Wilson: End of Watch 10/27/10: San Diego PD, CA
    Lt. Jose A Cordova Montaez: End of Watch 10/26/10: Pureto Rico PD
    Cpt. George Green: End of Watch 10/26/10: Oklahoma Highway PD
    Deputy Sheriff Odelle McDuffle Jr. 10/25/10: Liberty Country SD, Texas
    Officer John Abraham: End of Watch 10/25/10: Teaneck PD New Jersey
    Sgt. Timothy Prunty: End of Watch 10/24/10: Shreveport PD. Louisiana

Default Re: Sentaor Runs Over and Kills own Grandchild....

**** one
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

These are the men who are running our country? How on earth did we become a superpower?

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    These are the men who are running our country? How on earth did we become a superpower?
    Dunno. You ran over your enemies?

I feel sorry for the poor guy. One lapse of concentration and a lifetime of guilt.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

No...these are the men who are running Wisconsin.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Friday the 13th, unlucky for some.

Vicarius

Well, that sucks for him and his family.
    Member of S.I.N.

Seleukos's Avatar Hell hath no fury
    Patrician

It was obviously an accident. I almost hit a child myself in an apartement complex a few months back...those ****ers are uncontrollable.

Indefinitely Banned

Very very tragic.

I don't think you can hardly blame him Naptown. I mean, the poor guy didn't even see her, at nearly 2 I doubt she wouldve even registered on the mirrors. There was no way he couldve seen her, and it couldve happened to anyone to be honest: a tragic accident. Him being a senator just makes what would be local news national news.

What does a tragic accident that could have happened to anyone say about a politicians abilities?

under the patronage of Belisarius

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli View Post
    What does a tragic accident that could have happened to anyone say about a politicians abilities?
    That he's careless?

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

That he's careless?
    You can be as careful as possible and still run over a two year-old that runs into the path of your vehicle. I would say that it is less the driver's fault and more the fault of his wife who was supposed to be watching the child. Either way, it is a terrible thing to have happened.
    "There is a difference between what is wrong and what is evil. Evil is committed when clarity is taken away from what is clearly wrong, allowing wrong to be seen as less wrong, excusable, right, or an obligatory commandment of the Lord God Almighty.

Evil is bad sold as good, wrong sold as right, injustice sold as justice. Like the coat of a virus, a thin veil of right can disguise enormous wrong and confer an ability to infect others."
    -John G. Hartung

Indefinitely Banned

a gm ran over her gc in my own hometown, more common than you think

I have never heard of anyone who ran over a child like that here. Not even on the news.

Stories like these are why I'm a bad driver, and scared of driving to this day. Having that much control over a death machine is intimidating to me, a death machine thats just as likely to cause my death as someone elses.

Guns kill. Scientology kills. Cars kill.

I have never heard of anyone who ran over a child like that here. Not even on the news.

Probably because it's that common it hardly appears in the news if it's someone not prominent.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Sad... so sad...

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

I really don't see why everyone is blaming the Senator for this. It's a very easy thing to do, given the right (wrong) circumstances, and as Janette Fennell (see original post) said, it happens all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Niccolo
    It says that we elect skilled, but human, people, not superheroes.

My heart goes out to his family.

Get off his back, once you get your license you'll realise just how hard it is to see everything at once. I live in a neighborhood full of kids and all the caution in the world won't stop one from running out behind you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast