Mighty's Avatar Miles

Default Re: British or English?

I'm English tho i do not have an English accent

MasterInquisitor's Avatar Ordinarius

What accent you got?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    A chomping evil Kentish Giraffe who constantly sings "Four legs good ,two legs bad"

people say its more western but i am english tho

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval Rapper View Post
    Scotland had no choice but to join the union, so for all intents and purposes she was essentially conquered.
    I'm sure that at one point the British (or, more accurately, the English) empire controlled a hell of a lot more than a quarter of the planet. The British empire was by far the largest the world has ever seen, or will ever see.

It was often said that the sun never set on the British empire, because God wouldn't trust the English in the dark.
    what in God's holy name are you on about? there were huge numbers of Scots, Welsh and irish officials in the British Empire- wellington was irish for example. It wasn't English nobles with posh accents ruling over the poor Irish/Scots/welsh.
    Scotland had not been occupied since the early middle ages. scotland was an independent country when in 1603 king James VI was offered the crown of England.
    British Empire covered a quarter of the world, and included a thid of the Earth's population.

i'm betting you're either American, Irish or, most likely, an 'Irish-American'

hunter260859's Avatar Senator

true wellington was born in ireland but he wasnt irish he was born to an english familiy who held a title in ireland

Indefinitely Banned

I couldn't think of anyone else of the top of my head, and i can't be bothered to look some people up for the sake of this drivel

The British empire could still have become the most powerful empire the world had ever seen without the Scottish or the Welsh.

But the British (English) empire could not have existed at all without the English.

Woad-Warrier's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Super Pope View Post
    what in God's holy name are you on about? there were huge numbers of Scots, Welsh and irish officials in the British Empire- wellington was irish for example. It wasn't English nobles with posh accents ruling over the poor Irish/Scots/welsh.
    Scotland had not been occupied since the early middle ages. scotland was an independent country when in 1603 king James VI was offered the crown of England.
    British Empire covered a quarter of the world, and included a thid of the Earth's population.

i'm betting you're either American, Irish or, most likely, an 'Irish-American'
    He inherited the throne of England after Elizabeth II died without any heirs.

Tabell's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval Rapper View Post
    The British empire could still have become the most powerful empire the world had ever seen without the Scottish or the Welsh.

But the British (English) empire could not have existed at all without the English.
    and it couldnt have existed without the scots or welsh either
    In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes, and brocade
    Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise -
    An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
    With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes -
    At Blenheim and Ramillies, fops would confess
    They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.

What about those that consider themselves Manx?

I try to live upto the ideal that I'am from EARTH, silly little lines on a map don't bother me. I don't care want your ancestors were 300 years ago, want I want to know is, what you are like now.

Anything which divides you from your fellow man (mostly a form of childish one up-manship / feeling its better to be big fish in little pond) is, in my opinion, a very bad idea. That's why I don't get on to well with nationalists, or people who refuse to speak English. I don't care if we all speak Chinese, lets just pick a language and commuinicate with each other.

However for the sake of peaceful conversation, I say I'am British (it takes to long to explain the Earth thing, and some people will never get it.)

Proparly more than you wanted for this thread, but it explains why I don't say English.

That does not stop me being passionate about history, and understanding how pride has played its part in national development. The art of the politicain it seems is to manipalute our fears and baser desires.

PS: I say try, because I still like to see our national teams (any) win things - seems I'am not perfect, ho humm.

To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
    Paul Ehrlich

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

I'm Australian but my ancestry is largely English, Scottish and Irish, being predominantly English. Therefore if someone asks about it, I would refer to myself as English rather than British.

Of course I speak with a received pronunciation accent, so I can easily pass off as being from that country.

Tabell's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Gray View Post
    I'm Australian but my ancestry is largely English, Scottish and Irish, being predominantly English. Therefore if someone asks about it, I would refer to myself as English rather than British.

Of course I speak with a received pronunciation accent, so I can easily pass off as being from that country.
    perhaps its less convincing than you like to think - "g'day mate, time for a spot of tiffen?"
    In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes, and brocade
    Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise -
    An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
    With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes -
    At Blenheim and Ramillies, fops would confess
    They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Woad-Warrier View Post
    He inherited the throne of England after Elizabeth II died without any heirs.
    Need i say more?
    But seriously, a bloke rode north with the royal signet ring and offered it to James VI. I think there were people with a better claim on the throne blood-wise but James was protestant. Or something like that

Elizabeth II isn't dead.
    A chomping evil Kentish Giraffe who constantly sings "Four legs good ,two legs bad"

Indefinitely Banned

Give the man a coconut

Though born in america, I'm english at heart. I'm half english/half german.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Super Pope: What?

Woad-Warrier's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Super Pope View Post
    Give the man a coconut
    What flavor?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast