Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I've really gotten annoyed at this Harry Potter ****.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default I've really gotten annoyed at this Harry Potter ****.

Yeah, it's been ... almost 10 years of this ********. .. And for all of us normal people who didnt become enslaved to it (I read Chamber of Secrets when I was about 9 or 10, thought it was alright and didnt bother reading anymore.)

It's just getting annoying. It's given rise to a whole new ****in variety of annoying ass nerd, it's made some chick into a billionaire (over a goddamn book) and it's cranking out movie after movie, alot of good actors, money, and special effects that could be better spent on better movies.

Goddammit, I hope this ****ing plague dies already. Warhammer 40k is a way better fictional universe, with way better books and way more interesting. And you know whats best of all? It's not anywhere near as annoying as the Harry Potter fanbase, or as rabid.

And the worst part of all, my girlfriend loves it. -___-
    Team Member <3

Default Re: I've really gotten annoyed at this Harry Potter ****.

Warhammer 40k is a way better fictional universe, with way better books and way more interesting.
    How many people actually know what Warhammer is? I don't know what it is. All this will do is bring out another kind of annoying ass nerd, IMO.

Osceola's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by DariusEG View Post
    How many people actually know what Warhammer is? I don't know what it is. All this will do is bring out another kind of annoying ass nerd, IMO.
    Thats good you dont know what it is!

And it's kinda like a really M rated version of Star Wars. Apparently started as some table top game but I only like it for the video games and the books which are damn cool.

Whereas with Harry Potter everyone and their ****in' grandmothers dogs know what it is.
    Team Member <3

What's the problem? I like Harry Potter. It's enjoyable. Its plot is quite interesting too, for a children's book. It's no masterpiece and there's nothing profound in it (although the last book attempts it a little bit from what I've read so far ). It's just a children/teen's book which became successful mostly out of coincidence. Yes, there are better books out there which much less success, but... life sucks.

I like Harry Potter books because I think the imaginary magical world in them feels so vivid. However, I personally am too mature to appreciate the actions in the books.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Yeah, it sickens me too.
    Flamer Extraordinaire.

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

It's quite sickening, as LN says.

LOTR > Harry Potter.

In fact:
    Dog crap scrawled over a black piece of paper wrapped in scented fish > Harry Potter
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Yay, I'd **** every character in Harry Potter!!

Or maybe not. I only read the last two books because I didn't wanna feel left out of reading the amazing Harry Potter series.

Seriously, most of the people who read it, it's the only books they've actually stayed with to try and complete. Nothing by any Warhammer or Forgotten Realms authors or Terry Pratchet. Harry Potter is where it's at.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

I can't believe that I was the most mature one in this thread.

I don't hate it. I don't like it either. Ive never read 1 Harry Potter book. It just doesn't interest me. I like fantasy, but some witch school? No thanks.
    Lord of The Rings, Warhammer and Warcraft for the win.

mocker's Avatar Domesticus

Some people obviously have to nothing better to do than ranting over a frickin' children's book...

For the sake of mankind, please acquire a life.

It's just a children's book.
    Last edited by mocker; July 21, 2007 at 05:33 AM.

well personally i dont really care too much about harry potter. but i do enjoy the movies. and for my tastes id like it to be more darker or something. too childish. but just my opion but i still enjoy the movies oh and i was just recently watching the warcraft 3 cinematics, and i loved it! even though it was shorter i still loved it alot more, id really like a movie of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
    It's quite sickening, as LN says.

LOTR > Harry Potter.

In fact:
    Dog crap scrawled over a black piece of paper wrapped in scented fish > Harry Potter
    Pah.

Sure, the publicity does tend to drive things to extremes, but the HP books aren't *that* bad...

There may be better books around - none of the HP books were brilliant, though 7 came closer than before - but none have the impact that the HP series has been able to generate.

In getting the books read, JK has succeeded, and that's not a bad thing.

Seriously, this is the only book I've ever seen go mass-market, and I don't see why that's a bad thing.

Read LOTR if you want...but admit it, you'll get around to reading HP too, eventually...or at least knowing the ending
    Citizen under the patronage of Garb.
    Ex Administrator, Senior Moderator, and Content Editor.

Scorch's Avatar One of Giga's Ladies
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by sapi View Post
    Pah.

Sure, the publicity does tend to drive things to extremes, but the HP books aren't *that* bad...

There may be better books around - none of the HP books were brilliant, though 7 came closer than before - but none have the impact that the HP series has been able to generate.

In getting the books read, JK has succeeded, and that's not a bad thing.

Seriously, this is the only book I've ever seen go mass-market, and I don't see why that's a bad thing.

Read LOTR if you want...but admit it, you'll get around to reading HP too, eventually...or at least knowing the ending
    In my humble opinion, the books are garbage. They're terrible. Quite honestly I liked the movie, but the books are poor, at best. Popularity is no measure of quality, it's just a measure of good marketing.
    Patronized by Ozymandias, Patron of Artorius Maximus, Scar Face, Ibn Rushd and Thanatos.

The University of Sydney | Bachelor of Arts III (Majoring in Ancient History and Italian Studies)

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and
    billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.
    - Mark Twain

Godless Musings: A blog about why violent fairytale characters should not have any say in how our society is run.

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by mocker View Post
    Some people obviously have to nothing better to do than ranting over a frickin' children's book...

For the sake of mankind, please acquire a life.

It's just a children's book.
    get a life would be my motto too, stop focusing so much a book.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

You can brand them 'poor' from your own point of view, but about a billion people say otherwise, I think. An argument that the books are of poor quality falls a little thinly when they are so well-liked -- if they were terrible, she wouldn't be a bloody millionaire, would she?

Personally, I've read every book (the new one's being delivered as I type) and I liked them. I don't rave about them, I've read much better books (Mortal Engines, read it NOW ) but they were enjoyable and a good storyline. The films are slowly getting better; one was a travesty, but I saw five the other day and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just to go against the trend and actually support it.

Omg, I heard Harry accidentally kills Hermione while ridding the world of Voldemort for good.. then slits his wrists in a bathtub filled with petroleum jelly and one, exactly one, British prime minister.

Anyone else hear this "rumour"?

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."

-Immortal Technique

They aren't future entries into the Norton Anthologies, people. They're children's/young adult's books. They are quite well written, considering their demographic.

Just what is 'well-written'? Dostoevsky? Nabokov? I would hope so, seeing as they're meant for the adult literary, non-populist world.

But cross a demographic line and you start to play by a different set of rules. It's why Pokemon and YuGiOh! have made more money than some third world countries.

As for fantasy, sure, it's not as deep as Warhammer or whatever. But what does it matter? Stuffing as much lore and language and anecdotes about your fantasy world does not make a good, readable book. And when considering children, forget about it.

"Harry Potter," as a series, is popular for it's magic and wizardry. Of course, it's only natural, right? Why is it more popular than Warhammer's universe?

Those kinds of sci-fi/fantasy stories and novels tend to be just too much of everything. Too self-indulgent (and arrogant about it), and far too nerdy for most to pick up and get into. Rowling's books, however, have a balance between the absurd and the relatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Skinna
    Omg, I heard Harry accidentally kills Hermione while ridding the world of Voldemort for good.. then slits his wrists in a bathtub filled with petroleum jelly and one, exactly one, British prime minister.

Anyone else hear this "rumour"?
    Well, I finished reading the Deathly Hallows last night, so no.

If it educates and spurs the imagination of generations to come, then it's of course a plus.

LOTR on marketing steroids only known in our time.

-Jonathan Swift

-Immortal Technique

It's the only book (or series of books) I know, that in fifty-one hundred years, will be considered a 'classic'. Maybe the Da Vinci Code as well. But definitely Potter.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast