View Poll Results: MMOs: Yes or No?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! (Love them!)

7 31.82%
  • No! (I'd rather buy more games with my money than dump it into ONE title!)

15 68.18%

Thread: MMOs: Yes or No?

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default MMOs: Yes or No?

I played the 10 day trial version of WoW about 3 months ago...I'll admit that I had a good amount of fun but it all wore off by day 7 and the next 3 days went by without me even opening the game...

MMOs seem to be spreading like wildfire! The craze that WoW started has now spread and has created more and more of these kinds of games. Further taking away game devs' attention from making really solid singleplayer minded titles with some MP tacked onto it.

How many people think this is good? How many think it's bad?

I'm just gonna assume the majority of members here will vote for "good" but I just don't understand why. MMOs may be fun but is it REALLY worth paying a monthly fee on top of the price of the game itself? Ifr you're hardcore this might be just your thing and thus = "good" but what about the casual gamers out there like me?

How much is WoW a month? Isn't it like 30 bucks a month or something? That's just not worth it at all if you only plan on playing the game 2 - 3 hours a day maybe 5 days a week.

When it was just a small amount of titles out there that were MMO it wasn't that big of a deal - the MMO fans did their thing while the other guys bought and played their other games...now though it seems as MMO might be the future - there seem to be a lot of MMOs coming out within the next year or two.

It just doesn't make sense to me - it seems like just a simple rip off that alot of people just can't seem to see.

I will however say this: MMOs on the PS3 are great ideas - the PS3 online is free correct? Then...it's like playing an MMO and ONLY paying the retail price of the game.
    Last edited by VOP2288; July 21, 2007 at 07:49 PM.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Default Re: MMOs: Yes or No?

TBH I really don't like paying money after I've bought the game, I mean for WoW you basically pay for the game, then pay for the game again once every three months, but don't get much out of it. I used to play it but then I realised, I might get the new Warhammer one though.

Gwendylyn's Avatar Citizen

Not all MMOs have a monthly fee. There are other models besides subscription based.

im pretty much done with MMOs, maybe once i hear the reviews of the released Tabula Rasa, then ill try it as it seems they are trying to solve most of the MMO issues, but the current generation kinda sucks. look at vanguard, years ago when eq2 came out they were all proclaiming it would be revolutionary, now it gets horrible reviews.

STReetSamurai's Avatar Miles

I find them boring. Repetitive, so very very very repetitive.

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

very repetitive the only ones i play are the free ones which only last me a couple weeks until i get tired of em

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

The only MMO I like is EVE Online and im more than happy to pay £7.50 a month to use it.

The whole "i don't want to pay for a game after ive bought it" thing dosen't really hold ground. For the £40 you pay for a new game i can buy game time for eve online than equals 6 months of use if I pay in bulk for two 90 day time cards. Also you don't normally pay for the software you can downlaod the client of most MMO's off their website.

I would be surprised if a single game can keep someone amused for half a year , most game ive bought ill stop using about 2 or 3 weeks after ive bought them. Simply because there is no replay value after they have been beaten.

But on the other hand I wouldn't pay to play something like WoW, games where I have to grind for ludicrous ammoutns of time don't appeal to me. Thi is where EVE shines, training is passive and earning the Cash you need while requiring some effort dosen't take all the time in the world.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

I have no issues with subscription fees. It's normally the price of 2 or 3 London pints. That's no hardship, even on a student budget.

My problem with them is that there is currently no MMO currently in the market that is a major departure from stat based gameplay, or with decent PVP. Planetside possibly being the one exception, but that's getting on these days...
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Kretchfoop's Avatar Civitate

Meh the monthly fees don't really bother me. Back when I was playing WoW I pretty much didn't play or buy any other games outside of a few so I actually saved money. As long as the game is maintained well and regularly updated so I get my money's worth I'll keep paying. If you're just a kid I can see how it can be a problem but once you're old enough to get a job those $10-$15 or whatever they cost these days is pretty much chump change. That much money won't buy you much of anything.

What's turning me off from the genre is that in my opinion, it has really stagnated at the moment. They're just all the same, minus a few cosmetic differences. Kind of like what happened to the RTS genre.
    Under the patronage of Last Roman.