Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

I'm actually surprised no one has opened up a thread in here (to my knowledge) about this game...

Anyway, the game's called Kane and Lynch: Dead Men. Due out sometime in Q4 of 2007 it comes from the makers of the Hitman series - Io Interactive and Edios. It will be a 3 platform title hitting the PC, Xbox 360, and the PS3 simultaneously and as of right now it's a Rating Pending but I totally guarantee you this is some M rated stuff here.

In short the game is about two guys on death row who are about to be executed: Kane an ex-mercenary who's regarded as a traitor and Lynch a schizophrenic who may or may not have murdered his wife. As both men approach their executions they're kidnapped by a group of mercenaries called The Seven. The Seven then makes them offers they can't refuse and thus sends the two reluctantly off together to carry out missions and tasks.

It seems that though the player for the most part will take over the role of Kane but supposedly a big part of this game is squad-based gameplay where you'll be ordering other team members around while sometimes accompanied by Lynch (who can be taken control of by another player via co-op mode). Yet - your team will not always listen to you and do what you say....supposedly sometimes other members and Lynch included will have their own different tasks and missions apart from yours and thus will leave you if they have to.

Some of the nice gameplay stuff I've read from the game include massively improved ballistic, cover, and AI mechanics from such titles as Hitman along with new mechanics like totally destructible environments, automatic cover (press up against it and character will take cover), the crowd mechanic that we've all seen in the upcoming Assassin's Creed, blind fire vs aim, and a new health system similar to what we've come to see as being all the rage these days - basically the Call of Duty 2 health system.

Io says that this game, unlike the Hitman series, will center more around developing characters and sticking to a well scripted and enjoyable story/plot (yeah!) as well.

So far the game looks amazingly pretty...what I've seen so far is a Tokyo skyline mission and a Tokyo disco night club but both rival any of the massive and detailed environments of Blood Money.

I can't wait for this game! Now that I've started looking at it it certainly has jumped up there in terms of being on my top 5 most anticipated future games list....

Here are some links to 2 trailers and a gameplay movie:

Official Trailer 1
    Official Trailer 2
    Official Gameplay Video
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Default Re: Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

I think I opened a thread on this and someone else as well only that no one cared back then, maybe someone will now, who knows.
    Either way I'm really looking forward to this as well, the sheer scope is something I haven't seen in an FPS yet.

Civitate

but it's not an FPS...it's a third person game just like Hitman or Gears of War

BTW yeah I just found the other thread buried under a mess of older, neglected ones. But maybe this one will get more attention. Also someone asked in Da Skinna's thread what the name of the music playing in the trailers is...well it's not Nine Inch Nails' The Mark Has Been Made...not by a long shot if whoever asked that question was referring to the actual trailers for the game.
    Last edited by VOP2288; July 22, 2007 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VOP2288 View Post
    but it's not an FPS...it's a third person game just like Hitman or Gears of War
    You can switch to first person in Hitman...
    Also, whether I can see my character or just the weapon doesn't really change the general idea for me, I have a gun and shoot people. You're not gonna call it an adventure or an RTS are you?

Yeah, yeah.

I thought it was NIN's "The Mark Has Been Made"... either way though, it's a good hitman song.

As more comes out it'll get more attention, those of us here just have that good feeling about it. It looks very good. It looks grim, professional, and utterly psychotic.

Woh, I just finished watching that new Miami Vice movie and now just finished watching that gameplay movie...

The similarity in its gunfight scenes is scary.
    But mark me well; Religion is my name;
    An angel once: but now a fury grown,
    Too often talked of, but too little known.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."
    -Bender (Futurama) awesome

Universal truth is not measured in mass appeal.
    -Immortal Technique

Gwendylyn's Avatar Citizen

Except that... FPS stands for First Person Shooter, so third person camera matters.

Just call them shooters instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendylyn View Post
    Except that... FPS stands for First Person Shooter, so third person camera matters.

Just call them shooters instead.
    Yes I know what it means but like I said, Hitman had an option to switch to first person and I'm guessing this will have as well. So I was simply using the term FPS because it is an established genre name even if it might not fit 100%.

It looks like from the gamplay video it zooms in on the gun or weapon being used, like a sight, kinda remeniscent of Call of Duty or posssibly some game I've yet to play.

-Jonathan Swift

"There's only a few things I'd actually kill for: revenge, jewelry, Father O'Malley's weedwacker..."

-Immortal Technique

Must be at least 3 of these threads... plus I am sure that even the crappy search would've found one of them!

Gavmundo's Avatar Senator
    Morecambe, UK ... in the realms of the North!

Yea been following the previews for a while. Looks interesting.
    Member of S.I.N

Xfire: Ulfang
    Steam: Gavmundo
    Xbox 360: Gavmundo
    PS3: Gavmundo

Civitate

You can switch to first person in Hitman...
    True but who the hell uses it? It's somewhat useless if you're playing the Hitman games right....if you're just going around and shooting people and not caring about stealth and such than yes...the first person mode can be used quite often.

Yes I know what it means but like I said, Hitman had an option to switch to first person and I'm guessing this will have as well. So I was simply using the term FPS because it is an established genre name even if it might not fit 100%.
    From what I've read/seen there is not first person view. Your options are either a) regular 3rd person view or zoomed in over the shoulder (a la Gears of War). And since when is Third Person Shooter not a game title? There are plenty of games out there that fall under it.
    I thought it was NIN's "The Mark Has Been Made"... either way though, it's a good hitman song.
    It's alright...I'll let you go even though my NIN-fan side is telling me to banish you (j/k). It is a very sweet song though, if I ever find out what that is then I'm sure gonna find it and listen to it 1000 times.

Woh, I just finished watching that new Miami Vice movie
    Off-topic - yet I created the topic so I can do that...did you think that movie sucked? Like...sucked hard? Didn't it feel WAYYY too long and just not that good. There are two or three sweet parts though: the beginning where the guys get blown to hell with the .50 cal sniper rifles in the car, the white redneck trailer raid scene, and the ending fight with that nice Genesis "In the Air Tonight" cover by Nonpoint.
    Must be at least 3 of these threads
    Yeah...but it looks like this one already has more people posting in it...

That movie did take way too long, and yes, the only good parts we're the ultra-violent scenes. I mean, those guys were torn to **** by the sniper rifle!

Anyways, the more comes out, the more people will take notice, we're just lucky enough to have caught it early. Hopefully they deliver on the demented though

-Jonathan Swift

-Immortal Technique

Civitate

Hopefully they deliver on the demented though
    It looks like they very well could do that...the Hitman games weren't that demented but every now and then there were some odd/disturbing things (i.e The Meat King level in Contracts?) It seems as though, right now, that Lynch is the psychotic one so maybe we're not gonna see both guys go crazy. A shame...it would've been nice if both of them were crazy - that would provide for some great cutscenes and nasty dialouges/events.

To my knowledge/what I've seen this game comes out at the end of September. Can anyone confirm this?

Frankly I don't know any such genre as "third person shooters" though I'm sure you could invent it as a subgenre of shooters. But let's leave it at that.

I liked "Miami Vice", it didn't come close to Heat or Collateral but it was an interesting movie. It's somewhat telling if you only go for the action scenes. I thought you were the one complaining about stupid kids who only want action?

As for both of them being crazy, that would be boring, no? Where's the fun if they're both the same? You gotta have contrasting characters for sharp and interesting dialogues. I mean, they're both ****ed up one way or another but you'll have more of a conflict if one always goes crazy and the other one tries to be professional about it, like putting together Neil McCauley and Waingro from "Heat". On this note, doesn't Lynch look an awful lot like Waingro?

Darkragnar's Avatar Member of Ordo Malleus

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Frankly I don't know any such genre as "third person shooters" though I'm sure you could invent it as a subgenre of shooters. But let's leave it at that.

I liked "Miami Vice", it didn't come close to Heat or Collateral but it was an interesting movie. It's somewhat telling if you only go for the action scenes. I thought you were the one complaining about stupid kids who only want action?

As for both of them being crazy, that would be boring, no? Where's the fun if they're both the same? You gotta have contrasting characters for sharp and interesting dialogues. I mean, they're both ****ed up one way or another but you'll have more of a conflict if one always goes crazy and the other one tries to be professional about it, like putting together Neil McCauley and Waingro from "Heat". On this note, doesn't Lynch look an awful lot like Waingro?
    ya i was wondering that same thing, i guess it must be a tribute to the Awesomeness that was Heat.

you'r right about the contrasting personalitys though it would be unorinal of them to put Two similar characters , and since there so different in some aspects it will bring more drama into the game.

Its a shame really that Heat was released in 95 and its taken them 12 years to come up with a game that lets you play around with the same kind of dynamic firefights. Sure there were a game or two but they never did deliver this one looks like it might deliver on that aspect.

edit: a picture of waingro for those people who haven't seen heat
    Last edited by Darkragnar; July 24, 2007 at 06:16 AM.
    Member of the House of Marenostrum
    They call this war a cloud over the land. But they made the weather and then they stand in the rain and say ****, it's raining!

Civitate

You misunderstood...see Miami Vice was just terrible in all aspects...the ONLY remotely interesting bits were the action scenes (which weren't that good). All the filler and the scenes that progressed the plot were boring, badly done, and I was just totally unable to sit through.

Also - movies and video games are two different things Rapax. I watch a movie to be entertained...to enjoy what I'm sitting there watching. I play a game to be entertained but when I'm in control of what's going on it doesn't matter if it's not 100% fast paced action.

And no...the term "third person shooter" isn't something that I just made up. It's been used TONS of times in describing the genre of games (or sub-genre). Here's a short list of games that have been called or are directly linked with the term "third person shooter":

Gears of War
    Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    the Resident Evil games
    Splinter Cell games
    Metal Gear Solid games
    MDK
    Tomb Raider games
    Star Wars Battlefront games
    GTA III onwards games
    Hitman games

These all are considered in one sense or the other "third person shooters" or are just not deemed as anything due to the collaboration of third person gameplay plus other game genre mechanics (i.e. GTA III mixing third person shooter, driving and RPG elements).

If you still don't believe me read about it here
    Last edited by VOP2288; July 24, 2007 at 05:41 PM.

Also - movies and video games are two different things Rapax. I watch a movie to be entertained...to enjoy what I'm sitting there watching. I play a game to be entertained but when I'm in control of what's going on it doesn't matter if it's not 100% fast paced action.
    They are different but only in the fact that games require you to be active while watching movies is passive. They can both be entertainment and they can both be entertaining or not entertaining for the same reasons, so it's not unreasonable of me to make that comparison. Miami Vice has more things going for it than the action scenes.

So I was expecting "Kane&Lynch" to be dispatched to me this week but amazon informed that it was postponed till November which is really disappointing. You always have to wait forever for the most promising games.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

True but who the hell uses it? It's somewhat useless if you're playing the Hitman games right....if you're just going around and shooting people and not caring about stealth and such than yes...the first person mode can be used quite often.
    What the..
    I use stealth all the time in Hitman and I'm always in first-person view.
    Hell I can't do anything in third person.
    Trying to strangle a guy is so much easier in first-person.

As for this game, it looks and seems awesome.
    I hope the gameplay video was a alpha game tho because there is no blood in it.
    I expect nothing less then the awesome blood effects that Hitman 4 had.

Did you watch the trailers from the website? There's plenty of blood spraying when you hit someone, plus from its story and characters alone this is a game purely for adults.

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

Quote Originally Posted by Rapax View Post
    Did you watch the trailers from the website? There's plenty of blood spraying when you hit someone, plus from its story and characters alone this is a game purely for adults.
    Only saw the gameplay movie which is really what counts.
    And there the blood was pretty minimal.
    Only saw a few puffs of blood(atleast that's what it looked like)

Edit: saw the E3 video, now I see the blood
    Last edited by God-Emperor of Mankind; July 31, 2007 at 03:16 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast