Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flooding

Default Flooding

Friday I got caught out in a flash flood when a thunderstorm hit Southern London. I've never seen anything like it... I was walking up a hill that took about ten minutes to get to the top.... by the time I was at the top I was knee deep in water pouring down and struggling to keep moving. Get back home was even more difficult as several train lines had been flooded and one had even been taken out in a lightning strike.

My home town is okay... it's a fairly high raised place full of a hilly hinterland. The River Thames is larger than I have ever seen it in my life and some boats that have been dumped on the beach for as long as I can remember have actually floated up.

The rain shows no sign of stopping, either. It's raining right now.

I have to travel up to my University town, Reading, either this Friday or Saturday to do some disseration research. Apparently the town's shopping centre is under water.

Default Re: Flooding

damn man !--- be careful out there !--- dont they have some super massive system of flood barriers in england just for this?

manbearpig is on the rampage

Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    damn man !--- be careful out there !--- dont they have some super massive system of flood barriers in england just for this?
    That would be quite the engineering feat. There are flood barriers of course, but this problem is happening all over the country, several rivers have burst their banks.

It is still raining.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    like a 20 mile long sand bag? no.

all flood defences have been overrun. all the roads have been flooded so it was impossible to get anymore flood barriers into the areas they where needed.

this is the worst flooding on record some people are saying. We couldnt possibly be ready for this.

damn :O

Indefinitely Banned

Hah, all those people who mocked brummies. We might be short, thick and talk like there's something wrong with our mouths, but we don't flood

Confucius, he say: in your face

Not really close to any flooding rivers, though, is it? It's like somebody from Phoenix being proud of never being struck by a tidal wave.

When we had floods (like last month) I was in the car with a friend in the middle of my home city/town/whatever (Newcastle Australia). I saw the water rising and did what any good friend would do.

I jumped out of my friends car and climed a telegraph poll, then jumped onto a roof...my friends car got swamped, I'm not sure what he did, but his mobile phone doesn't work anymore so I assume he went swimming.

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

in Scotland we had sun

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FOR THE FIRST TIME IN GOD KNOWS HOW LONG WE HAVE BETTER WEATHER!!!
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

MasterInquisitor's Avatar Ordinarius

My village is in a valley (luckily I live on one of the hills out of it), but our river hasn't flooded. Yet.

But it rained all of yesterday, and this morning it's sunny, but I don't know if it will last.

But I never expected London to flood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    A chomping evil Kentish Giraffe who constantly sings "Four legs good ,two legs bad"

joerd9's Avatar Decanus

Familiar pictures, really. We had a flooding of a similar size in Dresden in 2002 (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elbehochwasser_2002). I spent some days and nights filling sandbags back then. Caught us unprepared also. If the water's that mighty you can only wait and hope. And move your valuables to the attic.
    Good luck to everyone who is affected.

Sebdeas's Avatar Senator

Haha, you should pay more attention too the Dutch
    We haven't had a flood since 1954, since that one we built the best anti-flooding things there are.

PS: but if there is a flood, we're basically screwed, more then 50% of the country is under the sealevel

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sebdeas View Post
    Haha, you should pay more attention too the Dutch
    We haven't had a flood since 1954, since that one we built the best anti-flooding things there are.

PS: but if there is a flood, we're basically screwed, more then 50% of the country is under the sealevel
    Don't be too smug, or we'll delibrately melt some ice caps and flood you out.

isn't that God quote in your sig of some film?

Sebdeas's Avatar Senator

It said that guy and The Island, i believe.
    But this one sounds more... sophisticated

Supposedly the water is draining now, but there are still 6 severe flood warnings in Gloucester.
    A chomping evil Kentish Giraffe who constantly sings "Four legs good ,two legs bad"

Tabell's Avatar Decanus

serves us right for draining the marshes
    In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes, and brocade
    Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise -
    An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
    With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes -
    At Blenheim and Ramillies, fops would confess
    They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.

But hey! You get a free swimming pool.

There are rumours flying around that this is the wettest summer yet. I keep forgetting it's summer, and we're not even into the winter storms...

I pray that Reading festival will be ok.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

we now have 2 lake districts!

I came from Oxford 2 days ago. It was raining every bloody day, it wasn't flooding then but the water level was extraordinary high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast