Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Greek city state. . .

Mighty's Avatar Miles

Icon5 What Greek city state. . .

do you prefer the Spartans over the Athenians? Would you have wanted to be a Spartan or a Corinthian? Thebes?? what exactly

Me personally, I like the Athenians because of what they were known for. Courteous, famed for its literature, poetry, drama, theatre, schools, buildings, government, and intellectual superiority, etc.

What about you all?

Default Re: What Greek city state. . .

Well not spartan ... u know i'd have 2 have homo-sexual relations with my fellow soldiers so maybe Thebian or Athenian or maybe some Priest in delphi with all those fine priestesses

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Definately not Priest in Delphi or Sparta. Being a priest of Delphi would be a whole life torture since you could see the priestess but never touched them. Sparta had too little freedom too.

Athen or Thebes sound good to me... however I still prefer to be ancient Persian.

Mmmmmm, it's difficult. I think being a Spartan would have been the better life. A Spartan citizen would have had everything provided for him - food, clothing, weaponry, horses, everything. An Athenian citizen was on his own.

Mighty's Avatar Miles

Interesting view points all

Plus I can promise you would have a better time of things in a Spartan phalanx than at an Athenian oar.

I would live in Rhodes or some calm Ionian islands, away from Peloponnesian warfare.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius Cicero View Post
    I would live in Rhodes or some calm Ionian islands, away from Peloponnesian warfare.
    Calm? Pick the wrong island and expect massacre by Athens, Sparta, Persia or perhaps just domination by any of these three.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Calm? Pick the wrong island and expect massacre by Athens, Sparta, Persia or perhaps just domination by any of these three.
    I would just stay in Persia now.

I would be a king so nobody would interfere in my domain !
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    I would just stay in Persia now.
    Pick the wrong part and get slaughtered by Greeks, ambitious satraps, rebellious Egyptians, perserving Indians or determined Macedonians.

Pick the wrong part and get slaughtered by Greeks, ambitious satraps, rebellious Egyptians, perserving Indians or determined Macedonians.
    Daddy, what part of America would you want to live?

"Pick the wrong part, and you risk getting your wife raped, your house burnt and all you have stolen by an arriving US Army commanded by a guy named Sherman"

And what part of Europe, daddy, would you live?

"Pick the wrong part, and your house will be bombed, your daughters will be raped and killed by several different armies, your money will be stolen and if you're 'lucky' enough you'll be sent to die in a gas chamber"

Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; July 23, 2007 at 02:24 PM.

Lol, then I pick to live in the capitol of Persia - no rebellious Egyptian, barbarious Greek and Indian, crazy satraps. Only Macedonians would come after 300 years later (which I was dead).

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

Spartan for sure =). Athens is boring and the Thebians were just a bunch of happy monkeys.
    -scottishranger

Quote Originally Posted by IndianPrince View Post
    Well not spartan ... u know i'd have 2 have homo-sexual relations with my fellow soldiers so maybe Thebian or Athenian or maybe some Priest in delphi with all those fine priestesses

Prince
    You HAD to? I don't think it was complusonary =/. And wasnt the Holy band of Thebes homosexual in the whole essence of the word?
    Last edited by scottishranger; July 23, 2007 at 07:38 PM.

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke_of_Bavaria View Post
    Spartan for sure =). Athens is boring and the Thebians were just a bunch of .

You HAD to? I don't think it was complusonary =/. And wasnt the Holy band of Thebes homosexual in the whole essence of the word?
    Do you even know that Thebes conquered Sparta?
    Last edited by scottishranger; July 23, 2007 at 07:38 PM.

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

I do, it doesn't change the fact that they were Happy monkeys though.

-scottishranger
    Last edited by scottishranger; July 23, 2007 at 07:37 PM.

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

Yes. The entire city was homosexual.

Yes. The entire city was homosexual.
    Epaminondas and the Sacred Band were. So this means that anyone who trying to get up in the military had to be gay, in order to fight among the elite and convince their superiors .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius Cicero View Post
    Epaminondas and the Sacred Band were. So this means that anyone who trying to get up in the military had to be gay, in order to fight among the elite and convince their superiors .
    Thebes was an oligarchy. Advancement in the military would have been impossible to begin with, let alone the fact that citizen armies would have had no ranking system beyond that of social standing.

Thebes was an oligarchy. Advancement in the military would have been impossible to begin with, let alone the fact that citizen armies would have had no ranking system beyond that of social standing.
    And so, to be born rich meant to be born gay? I guess that was the only choice if you wanted to get into the Sacred Band, for the matter.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast