Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad to call people monkeys?

Default Re: Is it bad to call people monkeys?

I'm of the opinion I should be able to drop the N-bomb. It's the racists who connect the word with the people.

...and when Hitler received his Luftwaffles, he said "where is mein kampflimentary coffee?"

Kaweh's Avatar Aerani

It's a compliment to call humans monkey. Besides, all humans have certain similiarities with certain monkeys, so I don't see why it should be racism.

K.K

SIBLESZ·CRANDAR·SIMETRICAL​·DARTH VADER·KAWEH·RAVEN DARKWING·KALOS
    · PROUD MEMBER OF ROMA SURRECTUM II ·

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

To be the n bomb is like the C bomb, don't use it ever if your black or white.
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

You should have considered how the monkeys feel about you using the name of their species to degrade some human scum. When was the last time monkeys cheered at destroying a great cultural treasure?
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

catintheoven's Avatar Senator

I watched horizon on bbc2 and they had a bonobo, in a lab coat, making noodles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the woman asked for some and it went to the cupboard and got them out boiled the kettle, filled the saucepan made the noodles and shared them, and it even used a wooden spoon

the taliban are well bellow apes and monkeys,
    and people who think any use of monkey is racist thats just silly, you can call some one a cheeky monkey and thats not racist

In the UK we are a democracy one day in four years when we elect our oligarchy

i understand that people sometimes say certain races of people look like monkeys but i dont think its a racist term in itself. i mean if there were a bunch of scallys at the top of my road up to no good i might say, 'look at them behaving like a bucnh of monkeys' i realise it would be more common to say animals but saying mokeys would mean the same thing. besides being called 'a monkey' or 'a cheeky monkey' is a very affectionate thing
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Gwendylyn's Avatar Citizen

Also, it should be pointed out... the use of 'monkey' as a racist term is definitely American and it's a bit older of a term, so it's less used now. I don't know if it's used much like that outside of the US.

It was quite popular (and still is among the more obvious racists - I have a racist uncle who does this) to point out Africans or american blacks and call them 'monkeys'. The point was that they are less evolved that other humans, therefore unable to be as civilized as the rest of us, more prone to violence, and ultimately stupider. Planet of the Apes made a huge commentary on race issues not just because of the parallel of being treated differently, but because of the often-used racist terminology of monkey being used as a plot point.

Whether you think its racist or not doesn't matter if historically the word has been used in a racist context. Once that happens, then subjective context determines if the word is racist, rather than some objective criteria. I wouldn't dare say calling someone a monkey is racist. I'd say, "It depends." It's all about using your judgement.
    Last edited by Gwendylyn; July 24, 2007 at 07:35 PM.

The Mongol's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Da Skinna View Post
    I mean, other than the obvious case of black people finding offense to it, I just got yelled at for calling people monkeys. And it wasn't funny like in Clerks 2.

I was watching the video with those 120 foot Buddha statues that were blown up in Afghanistan, and you can hear the God is Great chanting going on, and I called them a bunch of monkeys. And somehow that's racist.

Nevermind any physical resemblance to actual monkeys, that's hard to find in any one "category" or whatever, but I used it meaning they were primitive, meaning they were uncivilized, and meaning they were downright acting like monkeys.

Now, if you can prove to me that I can't use that word because it is so unambiguously racist, then I won't. But if not, and right now I don't see it in that one narrow light, I refuse to drop it.

I think it's ridiculous that because I used that word, not even a bad one really, I think it's because the people who called me racist themselves thought I used it because they think those people resembled monkeys... so who's the racist?

I think I watched the exact same show as you last night. Was it showing how they hit all of the Afghan films from the Taliban behind that secret wall? Interesting show, I knew little about the Taliban before it... truly scum.

you know you could probably write a dictionary there were so many different racial slurs invented by the south for african americans.

I have heard a slew of bad taste titles throughout my years here.

Wize1's Avatar Foederatus

The main argument isn't whether we're monkeys or not. It's whether we're animals or not.
    Well, sire, you know the Italian court - what better place to court Italians?

Animalia Chordata Mammalia Primates Hominidae Homo Sapiens

I would guess we are, but monkeys are different to apes

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by catintheoven View Post
    , you can call some one a cheeky monkey and thats not racist
    But it is very camp

not if you say it to a little baby or monkey

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaigidel View Post
    exactly and besides we are in the family of great apes --- so calling a human an ape or a monkey is not a mischaracterization at all.

we are primates
    Ape is acceptable, monkey would be incorrect however.

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

Everyone thought macaca was offensive.

If you want to be safe just call them apes instead, since all humans are apes.

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

There was a show on a while back called Black / White. A white family gets painted black lives like blacks and vice versa.

Anyhoo, there was an episode where the white woman was painted black and in a poetry class. They read poems off the top of their head, so it was anything goes. The white woman said mid way through her poem "I love you, the black race is a beautiful race. You are all beautifull creatures." One black woman get so furious that she used the word creature, since she said it refers to something lesser of a human being.

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by kev-o View Post
    "I love you, the black race is a beautiful race. You are all beautifull creatures." One black woman get so furious that she used the word creature, since she said it refers to something lesser of a human being.
    Shows the intellect of the accuser......

Sephynos's Avatar Semisalis

Humans has nothing to do with apes, the similarities make them "cousins". Evolution is a theory hardly proven. Darwinist followers believe that we humans came from apes or thinks we’re a distant cousin of apes. They’ll argue that there is only 1% gap between the human genes and monkeys, but that’s just what nature is; “The 1% difference!” It still does not make us one of them even if there was a sliver of difference. If humans coming from apes were true by evolution due to the survival of the species, then why are there still apes around? Why have they not changed? Dogs are said to have come from wolves and can be crossbred, it goes the same with a Zebra and a horse, a rat and a mouse, and as sick as it sounds, if we humans did come from apes, why don’t we just cross breed human with apes to find out once and for all? I honestly believe it’s not possible though because it is just proof that we’re not related to apes. Humans are not from apes.

Well we can call each other monkeys, if we act like some. The society is acting pretty much like this under the consumation influence and reoriented career values.
    Last edited by Sephynos; July 27, 2007 at 11:12 AM.
    I believe that to meet the challenges of our times, human beings will have to develop a greater sense of universal responsibility. Each of us must learn to work not just for oneself, one's own family or nation, but for the benefit of all humankind. Universal responsibility is the key to human survival. It is the best foundation for world peace.

I've grown up in Texas in a mildly racist small town. I've heard the n-bomb (my grandpa uses it still a lot) along with a few others, but I've never heard monkey used as a slur.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast