Thread: Graphic Novels

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Graphic Novels

I've never really been into comic books and graphic novels. I used to read comic books every now and then when I was younger (Sonic the Hedgehog and Star Wars comics were what I remember mostly) and just recently with my love of anything Frank Miller (starting with Sin City) I've begun to expose myself more and more to graphic novels.

Graphic novels seem more mature, like literature works just translated into pictures and visualizations rather than just text. They also tend to be quite...graphic...in a violent, verbal, and sexual sense which appeals more to me then say....The Amazing Spider Man comics.

I've only read maybe 2 or 3 graphic novels: The Crow, 300, and the first Sin City book The Hard Goodbye (which came with the DVD version of the film I bought). Now, I'm looking into expanding my exposure to graphic novels....possibly looking more into Sin City and also I think I'll start trying to find The Darkness novels...does anyone have any other suggestions for good series' and such? Better yet does anyone know of any internet site that sells all different types of comics/graphic novels for fairly low prices? Amazon is pretty helpful but they don't always have EVERYTHING I'm looking for. For instance the volume 1 of The Darkness compilation novels (first comic issues of the series into one nice novel) is missing from their site while they have every other volume after that.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Graphic Novels

If there is a graphic novel that you have to read it is the Sandman series by Neil Gaiman. The Sandman series will amaze you.

you need to read the classics of the genre: the dark knight returns, batman: year one (both by frank miller), and watchmen

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by el_dude View Post
    you need to read the classics of the genre: the dark knight returns, batman: year one (both by frank miller), and watchmen
    Absolutly. I forgot about those. Anything by Alan Moore is good, Watchmen, the Leage of Extrodinary Gentlemen, and V for Vendeta. Frank Miller is awsome, he wrote the Sin City series as well as Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and the sequel The Dark Knight Stikes again.

100 Bullets by Brian K. Vaugn is good too.

Read some Todd McFarlane's Spawn comics, both the story and characters are amazing!
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Indefinitely Banned

Alan Moore is one of the most talented of all living writers. The Watchmen, which is being made into a decently scripted movie, is up there with Dune on my list of favorite novels.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

You shold check out 'The Boys'. Its a monthly mag, but they always ptu them out in a Trade Paperback format eventually. Its a really twisted take on super heroes. Its definately twisted and graphic.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Yes I was keeping an eye on Watchmen and V for Vendetta...I heard they were classics. I also did want to read The Dark Knight Returns as well.

Speaking of Batman he seems to be the only superhero I really love...I've read 2 or so of the graphic novel/twisted stories concerning Batman and I've loved them. Most recently I read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth and I absolutely LOVED the intensely dark, twisted, and sick artwork and story.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Roshak's Avatar Senator

V for Vendetta was one of the best Graphic Novels/ stories I read. I highly recommend it.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Racer X's Avatar Ordinarius

Almost anything involving Garth Ennis is good. I'm one of the only people that actually preferred Hitman to Preacher (probably because I think McCrea is a much, much better artist than Dillon). They were both great series, though. 'Fury' is pretty accessible as a starting point, same with his Punisher stuff, though it's better when he's working with his own characters.

Lord Rahl's Avatar Behold the Beard
    Content Emeritus

I've never read any graphic novels but I am getting sick of them. It seems like every comic book character and every graphic novel is being made into a movie now. It might seem all cool now but in awhile so much exposure will make comics and all that stuff uninteresting and a thing of the past. The comic world will go into another depression. I'm already tired of the movies. They aren't even good!

Patron of: Ó Cathasaigh, Major. Stupidity, Kscott, Major König, Nationalist_Cause, Kleos, Rush Limbaugh, General_Curtis_LeMay, and NIKO_TWOW.RU | Patronized by: MadBurgerMaker
    Opifex, Civitate, ex-CdeC, Ex-Urbanis Legio, Ex-Quaestor, Ex-Helios Editor, Sig God, Skin Creator & Badge Forger
    I may be back... | @BeardedRiker