Thread: Good Sniper-based Games?

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Good Sniper-based Games?

Are there any?

Seriously?

Do they exist?

Yeah, there's the occasional "sniper" game that you'll find for 5 bucks at the farthest end of the game rack in a jewel case released in 1995...but are there actually any current ones that are pretty good?

The only one I've played/been able to find that is at least somewhat playable is the game Sniper Elite, but it's amazing historical inaccuracies, shoddy graphics for 2005, and just repetitive gameplay and terrible AI made me stop playing it after a month or so....it did have some great bits though: realistic sniping factors (wind, distance, target size, bullet weight vs power, etc) and that nice bullet cam and wound mechanic was cool (taking chunks of brains and flesh out of Russian skulls was never cooler!

Can anyone help me out here?
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Default Re: Good Sniper-based Games?

Counter-Strike. Buy an AWP and have a ball.
    Sponsored by the Last Roman

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

I don't know of any other than Sniper Elite, but for good games that have sniping in them, you might consider MGS3, & MGS4, when it comes out.

I know it isn't mainly a sniper game but ARMA (Armed Assault) has some very realistic sniping. Just type in Arma and sniper into YouTube and watch some of the videos, very fun to watch.
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Hmmm... ARMA reminds me of Operation Flashpoint... and I hated that game...

Lawrence of Arabia's Avatar Citizen

I think ARMA is more-or-less the sequel to Operation Flashpoint. The game has horrible performance and was just far too boring for me to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasemacher View Post
    I think ARMA is more-or-less the sequel to Operation Flashpoint. The game has horrible performance and was just far too boring for me to play.
    Exactly. Nothing like looking at butt ugly people for thirty minutes, only to finally have the mission truly start when you pile out of the APC, just to get shot in the foot in two seconds, and have to limp for the rest of the entire two-hour mission.

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to go through that pain, I'll just wait until I'm in the military for real.

The Last Spartan's Avatar Campidoctor

CS is has the worst sniper realism ever.

America's Army is good. Even though it's not sniper exclusive, it's very realistic. You could also try GRAW and Rainbow Six (which I lost interest in), but other than that, stay away from every other game with sniper rifles if you're looking for realism (especially Gaylo - I mean, Halo ), cause they just kick the **** out of real sniping.

EDIT

Oh and if you have Half-life 2, download the Insurgency Mod. It's the best damn shooter I've ever played.
    Last edited by The Last Spartan; July 26, 2007 at 03:56 AM.

Matt's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos View Post
    Exactly. Nothing like looking at butt ugly people for thirty minutes, only to finally have the mission truly start when you pile out of the APC, just to get shot in the foot in two seconds, and have to limp for the rest of the entire two-hour mission.

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to go through that pain, I'll just wait until I'm in the military for real.
    I don't really like Armed Assault. The successor is highly disappointing after having continuously played the original game for nearly seven still counting years.

The graphics of Operation Flashpoint could be considered quite decent even as of the contemporary standards for something that was released in 2001.

If you were disabled after a confrontation of two seconds, you might want to start considering that it was caused by your lack of experience with the game. I can usually take out as a lone wolf on veteran mode a platoon sized mechanized OPFOR without much hassle. Successfully returning to base after two hours of limping makes you feel all fuzzy inside.

Flashpoint is the best computer video game that was ever developed in the history of mankind. Period. OK maybe after the Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt combination catridge. Second Period.

Sniper Elite had an interesting concept, but it was poorly implemented.
    Last edited by Matt; July 26, 2007 at 04:23 AM.

The Last Spartan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sniper Elite had an interesting concept, but it was poorly implemented.
    A lot of games tend to do that.