Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To arms! But which?

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Default To arms! But which?

I like making topics, so I figured I would ask everybody what they wear and carry into battle. Do you walk or do you ride?

Currently, newb that I am, I am hooked on the good old fashioned sword and shield with a tendency to go for heavy armor. I don't use ranged weapons that much, even with my hunter character due to my abysmal accuracy.

Anyway. What do you go for when kitting out a character? Does anybody here actually fight on foot, much?
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

Default Re: To arms! But which?

Always the heaviest armor possible, I generally use a fast two handed weapon with good reach but I also aim to make it two/one handed and carry a shield to counter archers. I do remain on horseback depending on the situation though from time to time I hop off out of pity and give them a chance to fight back(ah false hope is refreshing).

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

if my horse is crippled I usually whip out my two-handed battle axe, Kills enemys like a charm. When im on horseback I use a Shield and Bastard Sword.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Hattori's Avatar Citizen

My fav combination as always been:
    Crossbow/bow and arrow, heavy shield, heavy sword, medium weight armour(no more than 15 pnds) Not a big fan of spears, at least not yet.

Under Patronage of MARCVS

My favorite weapons are the couched lance and the two handed axe, though I carry a shield and sword/one handed axe just to be on the safe side. I stay on my horse most of the time except when I feel like taking out the last few enemy's on foot or in some case I have no other choice.

Sword (or axe, whichever you prefer)+ shield + lance + javelins is the best combination, I think. It allows you to do pretty much anything: some ranged damage, couched lance damage, you have a shield to defend against ranged attack and a sword to deal most of your damage.

Ideally though you should use your inventory chest to the fullest. This way you can really use all your potential (for example ride ahead of your allies with your bow, shoot your quiver empty, then return to get your "full gear" - or another quiver).
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattori View Post
    My fav combination as always been:
    Crossbow/bow and arrow, heavy shield, heavy sword, medium weight armour(no more than 15 pnds) Not a big fan of spears, at least not yet.
    Me either. The attack speed of spears is too slow, and in most cases the enemy charge right into your face so what good is its reach then? It would be nice if you could "set" a spear on foot, so that it deals damage to charging enemies (similar to couching).
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Lightest, but strongest leather armour possible plus a big 2-handed sword. It only works if your character has his athletics value pumped up
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

spears can work good on foot. get yourself a nice long one, maybe a pike, that does around 20 damage, and if you jab at the enemie's face, then your going to kill him, its a great weapon if your trying to backpeddle( however throwing axes and javelins work great for backpeddling).

With my HA character I use a lance, a sabre (got it off a khergit), A Khergit bow, and Khergit arrows. I wear mail armour which provides +22 body armour, +8 legs, I wear a helm that adds +21 (I think) to head and mail gloves that provide a further +5 to body armour, I use a mailed warhorse or a steppe horse (i usually substitute my lance for more arrows if I take that route).

I recently aquired a halberd. It can do couching damage, has longer reach than most spears (though not as much as actual lances) and can be swung also so I hope it will be a nasty piece of destruction even if I'm dehorsed. I have to test the latter aspect though.

I otherwise prefer onehanded weapons as I find them more nimble and elgant. As I go down eastern traditions I prefer sabres and scimitars.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

It all depends on the theme of the character I'm playing

If I want a knight style guy I get the heaviest armor possible, a warhorse or charger, a sword, sheild and a lance.

If I'm going for a viking style character, I'll grab a mail hauberk or cuir bouilli with a nice viking style helm, a 2 handed axe, a round sheild and nordic sword, and a bag of jarids or throwing axes.

If I want a horse archer, I will get some thick leather or cuir bouilli (I really like this stuff), a heavy hunter, the strongest bow I can use, 2 quivers of arrows, and a watered steel saber.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Halberds can do couched damage ?!

All polearms do couched lance damage, although I think they do less damage than lances.

ENSAIS's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by Romanized Spartan View Post
    My favorite weapons are the couched lance and the two handed axe, though I carry a shield and sword/one handed axe just to be on the safe side. I stay on my horse most of the time except when I feel like taking out the last few enemy's on foot or in some case I have no other choice.
    Prior to the rolllllback I had basically said the same thing as my Romanized Spartan friend here, only difference is that I specified a bastard sword instead of a 1 handed sword (can be used 1 or 2 handed).

The Last Spartan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Apple Tea View Post
    I like making topics, so I figured I would ask everybody what they wear and carry into battle. Do you walk or do you ride?

Currently, newb that I am, I am hooked on the good old fashioned sword and shield with a tendency to go for heavy armor. I don't use ranged weapons that much, even with my hunter character due to my abysmal accuracy.

Anyway. What do you go for when kitting out a character? Does anybody here actually fight on foot, much?

I tend to fight as cavalry a lot (especially when I'm outnumbered) because it tends to give you that edge over most infantry, but I still love fighting on foot.

As for your weapon, it depends on what you're going for. But if you're going to be fighting on foot you should always keep a spear on hand (because you will get in a fight against cavalry) and some sort of backup weapon (which is ultimately up to you and your style of fighting).

What kind of "style" do you use? (as in how do you tend to fight?)

Quote Originally Posted by The Last Spartan View Post
    What kind of "style" do you use? (as in how do you tend to fight?)
    From the back of my horse. Once I'm knocked off it is pretty much over from there as I tend to get mobbed by charging horses and other footmen. Usually I hover around the edges of enemy "formations", picking off a few with a bastard sword or lance when I can.

It's when I charge into the thick of it to try and save the lives of my worthless Vaeger soldiers that I'm usually unhorsed and gang-raped. I should have joined the Swadians, but I prefer fighting for the underdog.
    H. L. Mencken

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

Disregard post.

The Last Spartan's Avatar Campidoctor

So you tend to fight a lot mounted, but can't fight very well on foot? Well, you're going to have to work on that, and also, if you want good cavalry on your team stay with Vaegirs, because their cavalry is better than the Swadians.

I say polearms, axes and cutting swords are always best. Use polearms for charges and blades if you get stopped. For polearms I recommend using halberds, voulges and thrusting spears. Cutting swords and axes are pretty self explanatory, except, don't use double handed ones otherwise you won't be able to use a shield (you are especially vulnerable to missiles on horseback since the speed in which you are traveling adds for to the missile's force - trust me, full speed on a horse and getting nailed in the chest with an arrow hurts!)

Does this help?

When you have five+ enemies bashing at you and you cannot weasel your way out of it you are pretty much a goner as you cannot successfully attack anymore (even without inflicting any damage your attacks get interrupted when you are being hit).
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast