Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books to Movies?

MattErickson's Avatar Centenarius

Default Books to Movies?

Two parts

One- Are there any books that you would like see turned in to a motion picture. [I know it's kinda like The Last Spartans thread but a but different]

For me there are a few like the Runelords and a few DnD books would be cool

and Two- What are your opinions on movies about books and/or books about movies.

Personally I think that books from movies can go well as you can easily tell a different (or same) part of the story, but with movies from books... a lot of detail tends to get left out.

Discussion?

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Books to Movies?

If they turn books into movie, they better do a damn good job or it is just going to suck.

I'd like to see the Emperor series by Conn Iggulden turn into a film although bbc's and hbo's series Rome sort of covered that.

i like it when a book has a film made about it as long as it does the book justice, and doesnt end up crap.

Hmm, speaking of HBO I wouldn't mind seeing a book series about Rome if they haven't already got a good one, or atleast about that period.
    And I mean a good series not just some short crappy books about battles or a glorified history text.

Lol yeah then your looking for Conn Iggulden's Emperor series, ive read them all and they were amazing, there are four books and they arnt "just some short crappy books about battles or a glorified history text" there great, they start off with the beggining of gauis julius caesars lift and finish with his death heres a link for more info http://www.conniggulden.com/?page_id=26

hope that helped

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

I have heard mixed reviews about Conn Iggulden's stuff. Some people say he was good, great, and elementry. Never has the feeling to read his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ][Xyphos][ - Lee View Post
    Lol yeah then your looking for Conn Iggulden's Emperor series, ive read them all and they were amazing, there are four books and they arnt "just some short crappy books about battles or a glorified history text" there great, they start off with the beggining of gauis julius caesars lift and finish with his death heres a link for more info http://www.conniggulden.com/?page_id=26

hope that helped

Hmm, I'll have to check out some of his stuff and maybe pick up a book or two,

Thanks

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

Get some Discworlds given the movie treatment. Thud! or Guards, Guards perhaps - tho' Thief of Time would be awesome. And Christopher Lee has to play Death

I think something like that was on over chritmas over here in the uk, it was called hogfather or something? how many discworld books are there?

Tom Paine's Avatar Mr Common Sense
    Patrician

Silver Spring, Maryland (inside the Beltway)

There was the Hogfather, which was pretty well done, but I'd have preferred to see Lee as death. And there are... about 30 books, now, I think.

ahh right cool i might get that hogfather book for a laugh

Space Opera.

Honor Harrington would probably be a better TV show than movie.

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by MattErickson View Post
    Hmm, speaking of HBO I wouldn't mind seeing a book series about Rome if they haven't already got a good one, or atleast about that period.
    And I mean a good series not just some short crappy books about battles or a glorified history text.
    Uhm, do you mean, 'ROME'? Great series in my opinion.

After watching this, I believe it is the only way to properly turn a book in to a visual story. I Believe HBO is producing Gearge R.R. Martins Ice and Fire series and another cable network is in talks to produce Goodkinds 'Sword of Truth' series.

The primary problem with turning a book into a movie is, the audiance each has their own preconcieved notion of what the characters look like, how they move and talk, and what the world will look like which rarely meets expectations.

Also, you have a limited amount of time within which to tell the story visually, there for much of the subplots and such tend to be cut or sort of hinted at. I can't wait to see what HBO does with Martin's series. If it is a success you may see more books going that route.

Many people's home theater system rivals that of what you will see and hear in a movie theater and you don't have to worry about the guy in front of you answering his cell phone and you can watch at your leisure.
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Part one: Chapter 1: Disc 1:

I would like to see Ender's game be turned into a movie.

Part 2: Chapter 2: Disc 2:

books about movies don't all ways make sense to me. If you saw the movie all ready why would you read the book. If you didn't see the movie it might be good.

As for Movies about books they are difficult to do because 1. You got keep true to the story and the book, and 2. You got to make it work as a movie. Not an easy thing to do. Which is probably why quite a few of them suck. I like them if they're done right ( like LOTR or Harry Potter and the Sorceror's stone) but not when they're like Eragon or the like.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Indefinitely Banned

Hogfather didn't lend itself well to film. The witches or guards series would work better, death and Rincewind are to carried by the author explaining things. Jingo and witches abroad would work paticularly well

Quote Originally Posted by Ramashan View Post
    Uhm, do you mean, 'ROME'? Great series in my opinion.

After watching this, I believe it is the only way to properly turn a book in to a visual story. I Believe HBO is producing Gearge R.R. Martins Ice and Fire series and another cable network is in talks to produce Goodkinds 'Sword of Truth' series.

The primary problem with turning a book into a movie is, the audiance each has their own preconcieved notion of what the characters look like, how they move and talk, and what the world will look like which rarely meets expectations.

Also, you have a limited amount of time within which to tell the story visually, there for much of the subplots and such tend to be cut or sort of hinted at. I can't wait to see what HBO does with Martin's series. If it is a success you may see more books going that route.

Many people's home theater system rivals that of what you will see and hear in a movie theater and you don't have to worry about the guy in front of you answering his cell phone and you can watch at your leisure.
    *cry* I don't have HBO but I know it is the only network that could possibly due the series any justice. I hope it turns out to be great, but I do know it takes a really dedicated fan of the work for that to happen and not sure on how well the director is. Also, I'm not sure if I'm ready to see Kahlan on screen because I have a nice picture of her in my head and don't want to be disappointed and always see the actress instead (I know that's idiotic on my part).
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Rome was good in my oppionion, does anyone know if there is going to be another series? i dont know if this will happen because of vorenus dying in the last episode

As long as it wasn't botched, which obviously is no guarantee, I'd like to see The Moon is A Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land put to film. I'd also like to see a good I Am Legend, since even the new version with Will Smith is nothing like the novel.

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

I would like to see The Three Kingdoms given the western treatment (unless there is already one I have missed) .

Also a true adaption of High Fidelity set where it's supposed to be set ,in London.

And Portent by James Herbert
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Ramashan's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ][Xyphos][ - Lee View Post
    Rome was good in my oppionion, does anyone know if there is going to be another series? i dont know if this will happen because of vorenus dying in the last episode

tsk tsk tsk, giving away spoilers like that, sigh. No, there is no intentions of making more of the ROME series, although I believe they could have kept going up to the reign on Dominition (sp?) if they want to, or Nero in the very least and complete the whole Claudian arc. Oh well.

They are also making Drangon Lance into a movie, but animated. My friend just spoke to Margaret Weis and she is very excited about it, but....animation? *shiver*
    Under the Patronage of Lord Condormanius

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast