Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite units in RTW

Default Favourite units in RTW

Hello everybody!

What is your favourite unit in RTW ?

You can select three and write them in order you like them.

Mine are:

1.HASTATI: they are great units at my opinion. Agile, good stats, pillas, easy recruitable.... Fantastic

2.ARMOURED HOPLITES: I like all hoplites but these are my favourites cause of helmets

3.ELEPHANTS: I don't use them much but they should be on my list cause of their impressive appearance

So write on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leonidas
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Towelie's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Favourite units

1. Dogs: Great for taking citys (especially barbarian settlements)... You just "launch" them and let them do the job

2. Urban cohorts: Because of that fancy armour, good stats and such

3. Night raiders: Great scary look

There are more, but i didnt played rome for a while, so lets say this 3..

To be honest I never us dogs. I mean they look ridicolous to me..... but maybe I give them a try

Leonidas

Towelie's Avatar Miles

Good thing is that you dont need to worry about them, only about units leading them. So and if they all die (dogs) you still lose nothing, and enemie can be quite weaken.

Yeah I noticed that. Once I fought them I simply attacked their handlers and killed them dogs simply walked off the dield

Leonidas

1. Phalangists - excellent defensive units, and if used wisely, they can be unstoppable in offensive roles

2. Legionaries/Comitatenses - mobile, flexible, deadly, pila. What more could you ask for?

3. Archer Auxilia - try 'em out when they flank an enemy unit... Ouch.

1. Legionary cohort-reliable and versatile heavy swordsmen.

2. Nightraiders- excellent shock troops, great at breaking enemy lines.

3. Heavy peltasts- not really sure why tbh, just always found them useful.

Civis

Seems that the online community is a minority here, so forgive me for strictly speaking as an online player.

1. Cataphracts- able to fight all units (even ele, yes, even ele) with exception of chariots with good success rate. The only horse unit that can take on and most often win in a 1 v1 with urban cohorts, using that big mace they have of course.

2. Chariots - Oh the speed, the danger of them...those killing machines just love to wipe out enemy horse. I love the contrasting fragility of them in that they can be taken down quite easily if not used cleverly.

3.Urban Cohorts - The best infantry money can buy, easy to use, manourable, tough, has good pilla and good sword attack. Double whammy so to speak.

Something is definetley wrong in my head..............

I forgot BERSERKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I change them with elephants cause they rock

Leonidas

Towelie's Avatar Miles

Problem here is that only 3 could be mentioned Yes, cataphracts and chariots are both great and berserkers are my favorite, but i kanda consider them cheating, so that's why didnt mentioned them.

hahhahahaha Berserkers are little, little cheaty but the still rock!!!!!!!!!!!

Leonidas

Towelie's Avatar Miles

cheaty or not i still using them I thought max 2 per army, but they are still to strong. I had one unit of them slaughtered 1400 romans today on bridge

1. Sacred Band - I'm cheating and grouping both the cavalry and infantry because many a multiplayer game has been won with them, and they are both near and dear to me. In multiplayer they are the best units for the price.

2. Horse Archers - I use these in my campaigns with Armenia, not in MP. But I've had a lot of fun in battles where I am outnumbered by heavier units and I've turned the enemy into pin cushions.

3. War Elephants - Just because the best graphic in the game is when you see elephants charging into a group of infantry and throwing them around like rag dolls.
    Last edited by micromegas; July 27, 2007 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
    cheaty or not i still using them I thought max 2 per army, but they are still to strong. I had one unit of them slaughtered 1400 romans today on bridge
    heh they rock. I always let them rage at enemy and kill them all!!!!!
    They are unstobaple expect with arrows

Leonidas

1. companions or praet cav

2. urbans (reliable)

3. sacred band (like the look of them)

I haven't played Vanilla Rome in so long...but my fave units are still familiar

1. Velites(when used correctly probably one of the better units in the game)-extremely versatile; with their relatively high melee attack and speed they can chase off/destroy the majority of other skirmishers; chase down routing enemies; kill elephants; and flank battle lines

2. General(Tribune)- can kill other generals; kills other cavalry heavy/light; self replenishment; can fight in melee

3. Heavy Cavalry(Gallic/Sarmatian)- great to use to charge the rear of enemies and can fight/destroy light cavalry

I like velites too. Powerful for savages..... ( that's how they look)

Leonidas

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

1. Persian Cavalry- Best horse archer in the game in my opinion. Just beacause it's a long-range amped up horse archer that only Parthia has.

2. Camel Cataphracts- I have a camel fettish and they are the coolest camel unit.

3. Eastern Infantry- Oh yes, these guys rock, no sarcasm. I have honestly wiped the floor with my enemies using these cheap arrow-absorbers.

Cordially, Lord Romanus III

Yeah man pajama men are wicked lol

Quote Originally Posted by ][Xyphos][ - Lee View Post
    Yeah man pajama men are wicked lol

LOL!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast