Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite units in RTW

Default Re: Favourite units

Scythian Noblewomen/Noble Archers - Excellent horse archers with the arms and armour to fight in melee as well (You can throw Persian Cavalry in here as well, as they are the same type of unit).

Elephants - I just love watching them toss people in the air.

Armored Hoplites - A rock, they crush everything before them and are easily recruited.

Hm Scythians, I never play them cause i don't like barbs but I see that many of their units are good..... mabbe I give it a try?

Leonidas
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Towelie's Avatar Miles

i played 'em once, but after a while i had bad money problems.. From the other side, i wasnt so good in game back then, so may give it a try again.. But yeah, they have great mounted units.

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

1) Companion Cavalry
    My absolute favorite unit. Most of my online battles depend on the success of my Companions.

2) Royal Pikemen
    They're horribly average compared to other infantry units, but I'm faithful to my Macedonian infantry.

3) Cretan Archers
    This is Macedon's only unit that is en par with the other top archers in the game.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Head Hurlers- I can rout urban cohorts in seconds with a unit of these behind my main line.

Armoured Hoplites- I dunno...I just like Greek Hoplites + Corinthian helmet.

British Heavy Chariots- My battle winner with the Brits

Quote Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
    i played 'em once, but after a while i had bad money problems.. From the other side, i wasnt so good in game back then, so may give it a try again.. But yeah, they have great mounted units.
    They still have money problems. It is one of the things that makes playing them a challenge. You have to do more with less. A lot less.

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_2009 View Post
    Head Hurlers- I can rout urban cohorts in seconds with a unit of these behind my main line.

Armoured Hoplites- I dunno...I just like Greek Hoplites + Corinthian helmet.

British Heavy Chariots- My battle winner with the Brits

LOL

you bet... they can rout a whole stack of catas, silver legions, and silver shields in no time flat, and with tiny death count

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

Using your head (or perhaps someone else's) really does serve a purpose in this game.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Archer of Sparta's Avatar Tiro
    Oh, a little east of italy in a small town called Sparta.

Spartan Hoplite: The best unit in the game.
    Cretan Archer: excelent firepower that leaves the enemy left for dead.
    Elephants: Kills your enemies and scares the crap out of the ones witnissing.

1) Light Lancers(pre-adjusted)

When they still had their big charge bonus(14 or something), they were very spammable, I had great mobile units full of them and a general, they ripped everything apart, even the lower tier phalanxes charging head-on. Didn't matter if they die, very cheap to retrain.

2) Armoured hoplites

Rock-solid, easy to train, cheap. Greek unit n°1.

3) Armoured/war elephants

One full stack of these and you can kill almost everything with very little to even 0 losses.

THX FOR RETURNING MY THREAD ON TOP....

LEONIDAS

Default Re: Favourite units in RTW

1) Royal pikemen, they're one of the best phalanx units, and I love phalanxes.
    2) Elephants, they frighten nearby enemy and make them rout with a single charge.
    3) Macedonian cavalry, they're really good and aren't that expensive. They don't take more than one turn to recruit either.

Hmm I think greek phalanxes are much better then Macedon but yes RP are great

Leonidas

Armoured Hoplites- I think they look great

Scared band- Same reason as above

and early legionarie cohort- I like the look of the chainmail on them.
    Si vis pacem, parem bellum
    If you seek peace, prepare for war
    -Publius Renatus

1.Legionary 1st Cohort

Better yet, all roman units.

Legionaries, I tried them and they are REALLY powerful, I did some custom battles (medium difficulty) with them, matching one unit of Legionary cohort against another unit type, and I've seen them annihilate SPARTAN HOPLITES yes, SPARTAN hoplites, without giving any upgrades to the legions, I was surprised. Since Legionary cohort costs like 740 while Spartans cost like 1180-ish and Spartan stats are superior. Thats not to mention the Legions beating sacred band, Royal Pikemen, well basically any infantry thats non-German (German troops seem to annihilate Legionaries but killed by hoplites and archers), I should try them against bull warriors. The stats on the legions seem a bit misleading because they are MUCH more powerful in actual combat than their stats interpret. And thats only on one-on-ones in combined arms warfare they are even more awesome (and they look really cool too). BTW, do legions gain like a bonus fighting spears or something?
    Last edited by Happykiller; August 01, 2007 at 05:52 PM.

@ Happykiller

Yes Leigionaire's get a bonus when attacking units with the spear attribute(+4 attack i think), in fact any non spear infantry gains this bonus when vs spears which is the reason spear troops suck so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    @ Happykiller

Yes Leigionaire's get a bonus when attacking units with the spear attribute(+4 attack i think), in fact any non spear infantry gains this bonus when vs spears which is the reason spear troops suck so badly.
    So ALL spearman get this vulnerability? does that include auxiliary and non-phalanx troops?

Quote Originally Posted by Happykiller View Post
    So ALL spearman get this vulnerability? does that include auxiliary and non-phalanx troops?
    Yes any unit with the spear attribute is vulnerable to non spear infantry but gets a bonus vs cavalry.

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

I. Illyrian Mercenaries, these men are the best Mercenary Javelinmen in the entire game. Their melee stats are not that far from the Hastati either. Also, it is because of my Illyrian heritage, I am Croatian, which is from an "Illyrian" land.

II. Legionary Cohort, almost nothing is more badarse than a unit of Roman Legionaries wearing Lorica Segmentata armour.

III. Spartan Hoplites, these are the best Hoplite/Phalanx unit ever! They are also very renowned for their combat abilities. These men are truly masters of war and combat.

(NOTE: Please use Roman Numerals, this is about Rome: Total War you know )
    Last edited by The Good; August 01, 2007 at 08:28 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast