Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need help.

Default I need help.

I’m a Carthage nut so I would love to win a Carthaginian campaign on very hard, but the tubule
    Is that I don’t know what to build. While the other the factions are making lots of money and good units I’m still practically in the Stone Age. I need help.

Default Re: I need help.

Hi,

First build farms and traders in your smaller towns like Palma, Caralis and so...
    Then build ports and mines everyere possible.
    Carthage should be your military base.
    In land cities build roads and traders.

In Carthago build stong military and expand and conquer at sicily in first few turns, that shall give you some money.
    Then I suggest expansion into Spain wich is very rich for its gold mines.
    If it is possible expand into Greece.

Leonidas
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Lord Romanus III's Avatar Primicerius

Amp up Palma and Caralais. Send a governor to Caralais. Get slaves everywhere you go. Blitz Sicily with a Passion and buil up a massive navy. You only need garrisons in Sicily and Africa once your Navy is done. Keep Caralais well defended though. Take Spain and send some elephants there. Do not use Iberians unless you have to. Try using mercs instead. Libyan Infantry also hold a line well. Rely on your Navy and cavalry.

Cordially, Lord Romanus III

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Romanus III View Post
    Amp up Palma and Caralais. Send a governor to Caralais. Get slaves everywhere you go. Blitz Sicily with a Passion and buil up a massive navy. You only need garrisons in Sicily and Africa once your Navy is done. Keep Caralais well defended though. Take Spain and send some elephants there. Do not use Iberians unless you have to. Try using mercs instead. Libyan Infantry also hold a line well. Rely on your Navy and cavalry.

How do I do all that?
    Last edited by removeduser_4563362; July 27, 2007 at 01:20 PM.

I havem't writen anything you know

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasOfSparta View Post
    Hi,

First build farms and traders in your smaller towns like Palma, Caralis and so...
    Then build ports and mines everyere possible.
    Carthage should be your military base.
    In land cities build roads and traders.

In Carthago build stong military and expand and conquer at sicily in first few turns, that shall give you some money.
    Then I suggest expansion into Spain wich is very rich for its gold mines.
    If it is possible expand into Greece.

Leonidas
    I suppose, but if the Romans (if left to there on devises) will come down with some big army and simply take back Sicily. And besides how can Carthage be my main city for unit production.

you are ungrateful I'm just trying to help...

Carthago is the most developed city you have and from there you should attack sicily by sea ( that's what I do and not remember losing)

I didn't say to leave romans alon just to push them from sicily, I canot write you every turn of your campaign so you need to figure out when you are ready to attack them ( certeanly not at the start!)

@ LordRomanus III :

Is caralis really worth of putting big amy there, you will pay fir its upkeep more then caralis produces. I say ( and i'm not the only one) you leave it to Julli and they'll leave you alone. You can retake it later

Leonidas

You use your navy to beat down any Roman landing attempts in Sicily. Get Carthage a City Barracks or Cavalry Stables. Focus on taking Sicily. Defend Caralais and Corduba.

Build a navy. Fight the Roman Navies. Send Elephants to Spain. Take Cirta and Tingi(North African Coast). Build mecenary army and take Spain.

It is not that hard really.

Although, I did have this strategy of setting up a Roman campaign and setting it on vh and then sending spies to the Carthaginian settlements to see what they build.

Leonioda's has given you some good advice, carthage should be able to build your best troops so it makes sense to build up your armies there and ship them where you need them. Your best bet is to be very aggresive against the romans, kick the scipii out of sicily and that will leave them with only 1 city, take syracuse as early as possible-its a decent city and you should be able to build a decent sized barracks there. Once you have sicily under control(which shouldn't take too long, i would recommend invading Italy.
    Regarding armies, try not to use libyan spearmen or iberians, they are are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard vs the roman troops, instead focus on getting poeni infantry, lots of cavalry(including the excellent numidians), and possibly some ele's if you can afford it.

Wait no, no, no. Do not insult libyans. They are excellent troops. They are cheap and excellent defensive soldiers. Using them and elephants there is a great strategy for the battlefield. Poeni are good yes, but libyans are much faster and can hold a line like the poeni can. Do not rely on expensive poeni or sacred band. Until you have Spain you should use Libyans.

Caralais is worth keeping beacuse from there it is easy to retrain navies and blockade norther italy. Once you get a port it is very profitable. Everyone says abandon it but, why? All it will do is give the Julii more money and land.

Last edited by Lord Romanus III; July 27, 2007 at 01:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal 505 View Post
    I’m a Carthage nut so I would love to win a Carthaginian campaign on very hard, but the tubule
    Is that I don’t know what to build. While the other the factions are making lots of money and good units I’m still practically in the Stone Age. I need help.
    hmm,

1. Get trade rights/cease fires with Rome as early in the game as possible
    2. Before getting too adventurous make sure you have ports ALL across N. Africa
    3. Secure N. Africa and pacify the Numidians
    4. Seize/control parts of Iberia*
    5. Build roads/markets(I wouldn't build farms past the first level until it became absolutely necessary)
    6. Develop Carthage(concentrate on developing Carthage as fast as possible)
    7. DO NOT OVER RECRUIT! Make sure you can afford the soldiers you recruit. You have to look at your profit per turn and determine if the upkeep of an army is more than you make per turn. If it is, you can't afford an army.
    8. Taxes. Make sure your taxes are at least on 'High'
    9. Try to get an Academy built in order to create better governors and send them to cities(goverened cities make more money)
    10. Destroy/Exterminate. Maybe purging Numidia will give you large enough cash infusions that you can build more ports/etc. DO NOT FORGET THAT THOSE AMOUNTS ARE ONE TIME ONLY! You may exterminate a couple of cities and realize you have 45K...but if you're expenses are more than profits...you'll be losing money every turn and before you know it your treasury will be depleted.

Once you're secure in Africa and Carthage is developed...start your foreign adventures

You specifically asked about making money. What I'm suggesting is a way to possibly do that.

The reason you get trade rights/cease fires with Rome is to temporarily increase your income. You don't trade with people you are at war with. If you start wars with all your neighbors you will be cutting off all your foreign income. Since ports make the most money and you have a long coastline...you can see how detrimental that could be.

*Decide who is the lesser of the two evils(Rome/Iberians) and attack them first. Investing heavily in the Mediterranean(Sicily/Sardinia) early brings you into contact with Rome faster. If you want to be stronger when this happens deal with Iberia first.

DO NOT BUILD/RECRUIT EVERY TURN! If you're making a profit allow it to build up a little to create a sort of nest egg. Check the upkeep for ships.

That should help you get on good financial ground.

Thanks, I'll try it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Romanus III View Post
    Wait no, no, no. Do not insult libyans. They are excellent troops. They are cheap and excellent defensive soldiers. Using them and elephants there is a great strategy for the battlefield. Poeni are good yes, but libyans are much faster and can hold a line like the poeni can. Do not rely on expensive poeni or sacred band. Until you have Spain you should use Libyans.

I am not insulting Libyan's in all situations but against romans its probably the worst troop choice you can make, libyans are non phalanx spearmen so are at a significant disadvantage against any sword based infantry(pretty much all roman troops), even hastati will cut libyans to ribbons and thats on normal difficulty( i am not sure what battle difficulty he is playing). It's true you can win with libyans, but lets face it you can win with anything against the ai though libyans are still the least favourable matchup from carthage's POV.
    Regarding taking over spain before fully engaging romans that is a good alternative if you lack the confidence to deal with the romans early, I guess it depends on what type of player you are. I prefer to go straight for the jugular against the romans by over running sicily then invading italy, either way will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Leonioda's has given you some good advice, carthage should be able to build your best troops so it makes sense to build up your armies there and ship them where you need them. Your best bet is to be very aggresive against the romans, kick the scipii out of sicily and that will leave them with only 1 city, take syracuse as early as possible-its a decent city and you should be able to build a decent sized barracks there. Once you have sicily under control(which shouldn't take too long, i would recommend invading Italy.
    Regarding armies, try not to use libyan spearmen or iberians, they are are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard vs the roman troops, instead focus on getting poeni infantry, lots of cavalry(including the excellent numidians), and possibly some ele's if you can afford it.
    Thank you very much for feedback!

At least somebody knows to recgonize a good stategy...

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasOfSparta View Post
    Thank you very much for feedback!

At least somebody knows to recgonize a good stategy...

Leonidas
    I didn’t say it was bad.

I am not insulting Libyan's in all situations but against romans its probably the worst troop choice you can make, libyans are non phalanx spearmen so are at a significant disadvantage against any sword based infantry(pretty much all roman troops), even hastati will cut libyans to ribbons and thats on normal difficulty( i am not sure what battle difficulty he is playing). It's true you can win with libyans, but lets face it you can win with anything against the ai though libyans are still the least favourable matchup from carthage's POV.
    Regarding taking over spain before fully engaging romans that is a good alternative if you lack the confidence to deal with the romans early, I guess it depends on what type of player you are. I prefer to go straight for the jugular against the romans by over running sicily then invading italy, either way will work.
    Hay, Libyan spearmen are very useful if you use them right, but I agree with you that Iberians infantry just suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal 505 View Post
    I didn’t say it was bad.
    ok peace

Leonidas

Could you show me a unit list of one of the armies you used to defeat the Romans?
    Btw, I really am sorry; I didn’t mean to be ungrateful.
    Last edited by removeduser_4563362; July 30, 2007 at 03:41 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast