View Poll Results: Which is your Favorite MGS Game?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metal Gear Solid (PS1 1998)

3 42.86%
  • Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2 2001)

3 42.86%
  • Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2 2004)

1 14.29%
  • Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (PSP 2006)

0 0%

Thread: Best MGS?

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

Default Best MGS?

A simple thread asking all Metal Gear Solid fans out there what their favorite title was of the still ongoing series....

Well I personally haven't experienced every MGS game to date but I have played MGS2: Sons of Liberty, a tiny bit of the original, and a good amount of MGS3 a long time ago when it came out back in '04 but I never actually REALLY got into 3 nor did I even come close to finishing the game.

So - IMO Sons of Liberty was probably the best. Maybe not in a practical sense in comparison to how much more is added in MGS3 but just in a way that the game had an effect on me.

SoL was my very first really cinematic game I ever played and it was THE REASON I bought the PS2 in the first place. To give you an even greater idea here I actually bought the PS2 and MGS2 before purchasing a memory card (b/c the system had just launched and finding one in a store was near impossible!) and actually kept the PS2 on during the school day and times when I wasn't around just to get through the game from start to finish...I'm actually surprised the damn thing didn't burn out...we're talking about it being on constantly for maybe 5 or 6 days straight!

It was also my very first M-rated game (I was something like...12 at the time) so that made it even more HARDCORE.

I did like the nice open/jungle feel of MGS3 in the little bit I played of it but I HATE that they got rid of the mini map....that was basically GOD for me in MGS2 - it helped you out so much. It also doesnt help that the camera basically goes almost top down making seeing things around you near impossible without going into first person view every 10 seconds or so...
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

MattErickson's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Best MGS?

The first one, by far.
    I liked the second one and all and never tried the third.
    But memories from the first ones are gold. It's the original, and originals are always the best.

VOP2288's Avatar Smokey the Bear
    Civitate

and never tried the third.
    Wanna hear something semi-crazy?

About 3 or so years ago I was still a proud PS2 owner but then I REALLY wanted to play Halo 2 and the game Full Spectrum Warrior so at the end of summer I spent the 300 or so bucks I had lying around on a refurbished Xbox. About a month later I decided to sell my PS2 when I bought MGS2: Substance on the Xbox and I haven't touched a PS2 since then...

Then when someone opened that MGS4 forum a few days ago and I watched that gameplay video I got an extremely bad feeling like I wanted to play MGS. MGS2 wouldn't do...I needed to try MGS3!

So what did I do? I ordered myself a nice ol' PS2 with MGS3 for like 100 bucks off Amazon and now am eagerly awaiting it's arrival....I can't semi-believe that I actually just ordered a PS2 to play ONE game! And it's not like I have an unlimited source of money either.
    Under the patronage of Pra

Addicted-Gamers.com - Up-and-coming game news website! Please support us!

Libertine's Avatar Neptune eats planets

I voted for Metal Gear Solid.

The original and best, but it's not the one I would normally choose you see.

The best version of MGS is Twin Snakes, the remake of the first one on Gamecube, the control's are better, easier to use, the graphics have been vastly improved, the cut-scenes are exceptional (When Snake first meets the Ninja I got a metaphysical erection over the fight scene ) and you get all the shizz from MGS2:Substance such as first person view shooting, hanging off ledges etc and you still get the story of the first one which is the best so far!

Twin Snakes is the best by a long shot.

here is a vid, the fight is the first one but it doesnt show the whole thing it still kicks ass too, and the music towards the end is inspiring!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69pw9vdt1Xw
    Last edited by Libertine; July 27, 2007 at 11:32 PM.
    Heir of Kscott
    Proud Patron of the lost Fable and Proud Patron of God
    Spurs Fan?
    Member of the SG Fan Club
    Finland had unusually little to do with the whole New World gig. - Watchman

Helios News Monkey
    Knight of the Lulz

MattErickson's Avatar Centenarius

Haha that's funny, next time don't sell your PS2. It comes in handy owning it. But maybe until PS3 prices drop radically, Xbox360 will be a bit over PS2.

Tough one. I loved the MGS story-line as well as the realistic bosses and the realistic plot-twists.

The MGS2 gameplay was easily superior and richer but the bosses were more "anime" than "political" or realisti. However, the story-line was still very strong and getting to play as Snake AND Raiden was pretty cool

So I'd go with MGS2.

I liked Snake Eater but it lacked a lot of things I really liked about MGS. Oh and I only got to find out at the end of the game that I was playing as Big Boss all along
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.