Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tricks and tips that you can share with us...

Default Re: Ticks and tips that you can share with us...

Quote Originally Posted by morteduzionism View Post
    Why? What, in game, reason do you have to start hostilities, whether direct or indirect, with your allies this early in the game? I'm more of a roleplayer...so I'm just curious about your rationale.

How? By making the game even easier than it already is?

I ended up being the first target of the romans myself(syracuse/scipii). So I didn't start the war, I'm kind of a roleplayer myself, in fact I had 5 kingdoms each with their own leaders and their own military, they all had to fend for themselves. Kingdom of Pergamum, Sicilia, Sparta, Rhodos and the one north of corinth I forgot.

I do not find the game easy, especially when roleplaying. I do not use exploits and cheese, and tend to lose quite a few battle I would've won using stuff like "hold the red line".

Civis

If you want to make friends online, dont quit when you know you are losing.

If you want to make friends online, follow the rules that are stipulated

Quote Originally Posted by Oman View Post
    If you want to make friends online, dont quit when you know you are losing.

If you want to make friends online, follow the rules that are stipulated
    heh thx that's really hard to realise...lol

just kidding, thx for tips!

Leonidas
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Ticks and Tips?? I'm not sharing any Ticks with you

This is actually good stuff, if none of you have any objections I like to stick this into my guide in the RTW section. And yes you will be credited

My top 2 tips:

- Hit the delete key with your general selected and the camera will center to your general's exact location. Zoom in to find him in the thick of battle.

- Use waypoints. To do this simply select the unit(s) hold down the shift key and right-click to give the movement order. You can couple this also with a single attack order as well. This is VERY effective when fighting large/huge scale battles, fighting in multiplayer or battling inside settlements. Many find it useful for cavalry flanking.

If you have any more tips and you would like them to be added to the guide just say so.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Roshak View Post
    Ticks and Tips?? I'm not sharing any Ticks with you This is actually good stuff, if none of you have any objections I like to stick this into my guide in the RTW section. And yes you will be credited
    YEAH THX FOR SEEING TICKS. EDITED

AND THANKS FOR GREAT TIPS , LEONIDAS

Default Re: Tricks and tips that you can share with us...

I REMEMBER A NEW ONE:

- IF YOU WANT TO TAKE ENEMY CITY QUICKLY UNTIL HIS ARMY IS OUT THERE SEND SPY HE WILL OPEN GATES FOR YOU

-YOU CAN FORCE MARIAN REFORMS BY SENDING ASSASINS ON SENATE

-YOU CAN DESTROY OTHER FACTION BY KILLING ALL IT'S FACTION MEMBER'S

REGARDS
    LEONIDAS OF SPARTA

-YOU CAN FORCE MARIAN REFORMS BY SENDING ASSASINS ON SENATE
    You mean, Civil War, not Marian Reforms? Marian Reforms come with the first Imperial Palace.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Tullius Cicero View Post
    You mean, Civil War, not Marian Reforms? Marian Reforms come with the first Imperial Palace.
    MARIAN REFORMS, CICERO ( SO I HEIRD ON OTHER FORUM... NEVER TRIED IT MYSELF..)

LEONIDAS

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasOfSparta View Post

LEONIDAS
    Hmmm.... What a powerful exploit, if it's indeed true!
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Towelie's Avatar Miles

As far as i know, Marian reforms come with first imperial palace in Italy?

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

I'll use some simple tips that CA gave us.

-Try not to get into debt.

No but really

-If you have a plagued city. Recruit a spy and send him to an enemy city and he will infect that city as well.

-If fighting with heavy cavalry you can save yourself men and time if you order them all to hit the center of the enemies line. The charge usually causes them to rout and then makes a domino effect

-Don't rely on Hastati to much in late game before the Marius event. Use them in them in the early game to give yourself a bit of time to grow.

Hope they helped

Quote Originally Posted by Towelie View Post
    As far as i know, Marian reforms come with first imperial palace in Italy?
    I've tried it out by cheating (giving me lots of pop and then rush buildings cheat) on my capital (Tarentum) and the Marian reforms occured the turn after I rushed the imperial palace (it was at like 255BC at the time too) so if you really want the Marian Reforms to occur then aim for the imperial palace, BTW it appears that the Marian reforms gives EVERYONE upgraded Bodyguards (or was it just a huge coincidence? Probably not) but the Roman Armoured general seems to be stronger than most of the other factions' upgraded bodyguards (and they look pretty cool too), although its weaker than Eastern General Bodyguards, I think.

Decanus

heh thx that's really hard to realise...lol

just kidding, thx for tips!

Leonidas
    Well you would be suprised how many morons there are online...

Also someone said "use fire arrows when they advance" well thats bad advice:

use fire vs cavalry and elephants and when firing head on at them. Else use Normal arrows vs archers and infantry facing head on. IF you get your archers behind the enemy then use fire as it causes more fear and as they lack armour in the back the lesser attack doesn't effect you much and it routs them alot quicker. If you look at the AAR of last tourney final you will see thats what colo did .

Also Just because it says "special ability" it doesn't mean it is better than standard ability all the time.

hmm thats all for now...

Towelie's Avatar Miles

Thing about fire arrows is that units hitted by them cant be healed after battle since they are burned.. Also there is a moral effect.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by morteduzionism View Post
    Why? What, in game, reason do you have to start hostilities, whether direct or indirect, with your allies this early in the game? I'm more of a roleplayer...so I'm just curious about your rationale.
    The introduction videos of each of the Roman factions in vanilla already hint at existing disputes.

"Many Scipii have been put down by foreign swords... and a few Roman ones..."

-Glee

Civis

Here's my tip: When fighting rebels, you hardly ever need more than 3 standard cavalry.

Tease and feint and charge them to make them reposition and chase you. I usually do this in a "diamond" pattern from the center of one side of the battle map, to the centre of the next, and so on. Not along the borders! You run the risk of getting cornered if you do so.

Keep doing this until:

a) the general (if he happens to be on horse) charges you -- then turn your 2-3 cav around and swamp him

b) he detaches one unit -- lure it with one cav and flank with the other(s).

c) all enemy units are "Exhausted". Encircle him and hit as many flanks as you can. If you're facing a large stack, move on to the next unit as soon as one has routed, so you don't get flanked yourself.

I've won many a heroic victory sending 216 Roman Cavalry against 900-odd footmen (even spearmen) and a Rebel General.

-Glee

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

1) Show some class when you win or lose. Say "good game" to your opponent after a game especially if you lose. Manners > Skills

2) Don't say "good game" until the game is actually over. I've had a few opponents prematurely declare a "good game" (thinking they won), but then I'd stage a dramatic comeback. Plus, it's pretty rude to say you've won already when you actually haven't.

3) Distinguish between a hopeless situation and a position that can still be salvaged. Don't be that guy who thinks he can win with 1 out-of-ammo horse archer vs 3 untouched Spartan Hoplites by running away for as long as possible. Seriously, that's annoying.

4) Once a game desyncs, don't even bother playing it. You and your opponent are no longer playing the same game although you can still chat with each other.

5) Watch your replays and ask your opponents why you lost. Those are a few good ways to cut down on the amount of mistakes you make.

6)
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; August 01, 2007 at 02:29 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Barbarian_Prince View Post
    1) Show some class when you win or lose. Say "good game" to your opponent after a game especially if you lose. Manners > Skills

2) Don't say "good game" until the game is actually over. I've had a few opponents prematurely declare a "good game" (thinking they won), but then I'd stage a dramatic comeback. Plus, it's pretty rude to say you've won already when you actually haven't.

3) Distinguish between a hopeless situation and a position that can still be salvaged. Don't be that guy who thinks he can win with 1 out-of-ammo horse archer vs 3 untouched Spartan Hoplites by running away for as long as possible. Seriously, that's annoying.

4) Once a game desyncs, don't even bother playing it. You and your opponent are no longer playing the same game although you can still chat with each other.

5) Watch your replays and ask your opponents why you lost. Those are a few good ways to cut down on the amount of mistakes you make.

6)
    thx for tips Prince, if I ever start playng online I will use them

Leonidas

LEONIDAS
    tried it with the scipii, just got outlawed after a few tries.

Wierd thing is, I was still allied with the other factions, the senate was still giving me missions, I was neutral to the senate, and I still couldn't attack any roman faction...
    Last edited by Calyptus; August 01, 2007 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calyptus View Post
    tried it with the scipii, just got outlawed after a few tries.

Wierd thing is, I still was allied with the other factions, the senate was still giving me missions, I was neutral to the senate, and I still couldn't attack any roman faction...

THX FOR TRYNG IT.... WEIRD

LEONIDAS