Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hate-crime arrests in Quran desecrations at Pace University

Default Hate-crime arrests in Quran desecrations at Pace University

So what do you all think of this?

Hate-crime arrests in Quran desecrations at Pace University
    Email this story
    Printer friendly format
    July 27, 2007, 8:33 PM EDT
    NEW YORK (AP) _ A 23-year-old man was arrested Friday on hate-crime charges after he threw a Quran in a toilet at Pace University on two separate occasions, police said.

Stanislav Shmulevich of Brooklyn was arrested on charges of criminal mischief and aggravated harassment, both hate crimes, police said. It was unclear if he was a student at the school. A message left at the Shmulevich home was not immediately returned.

The Islamic holy book was found in a toilet at Pace's lower Manhattan campus by a teacher on Oct. 13. A student discovered another book in a toilet on Nov. 21, police said.

Muslim activists had called on Pace University to crack down on hate crimes after the incidents. As a result, the university said it would offer sensitivity training to its students.

The school was accused by Muslim students of not taking the incident seriously enough at first. Pace classified the first desecration of the holy book as an act of vandalism, but university officials later reversed themselves and referred the incident to the New York Police Department's hate crimes unit.

The incidents came amid a spate of vandalism cases with religious or racial overtones at the school. In an earlier incident on Sept. 21, the school reported another copy of the Quran was found in a library toilet, and in October someone scrawled racial slurs on a student's car at the Westchester County satellite campus and on a bathroom wall at the campus in lower Manhattan. Police did not connect Shmulevich to those incidents.

Treatment of the Quran is a sensitive issue for Muslims, who view the book as a sacred object and mistreating it as an offense against God. The religion teaches that the Quran is the direct word of God.

In 2005, Newsweek magazine published and later retracted a story claiming U.S. interrogators at a prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, flushed a copy of the holy book down a toilet. The report sparked deadly demonstrations in Afghanistan and protests throughout the Middle East.

Pace University has 14,000 students on its campuses in New York City and Westchester County.

Messages left for school administrators and for officials with the New York and national chapters of the Council on American-Islamic Relations were not immediately returned Friday evening.

Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the national CAIR office in Washington, D.C., has said the organization receives frequent reports of Quran desecrations in the United States, especially postings on Internet sites, but seldom makes them public.

He said CAIR decided to speak out about the Pace incidents because Muslim students are impacted by the creation of what could be viewed as a hostile campus environment.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Hate-crime arrests in Quran desecrations at Pace University

freedom of speech is not a ahte crime. It's just as legal to burn a flag as it is to piss on the Quran

(Muslims, put your swords down, i'm speaking theoretically)
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

I believe it was his own Koran as well.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

Indefinitely Banned

This is not a hate crime. I'm pretty sure all charges will be dropped and evaporate quickly.

In fact when did American get hate-crime laws to begin with?

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

I heard about this on the O'Reilly show. It is stupid quite frankly.

They want to put him in jail for four years for throwing a koran in the toilet. A hate crime gives this a a felony charge. The only thing he should be charged with is vandalism, a misdemeanor.

And there is the double-standard. A couple of Jewish students wanted to show a documentry on radical Islam, and the Mulims of the college went in an uproar and the Jewish students couldn't show the move. But now we have this incedent and the Muslims win again.

I sincerely don't know if I side with the Moslem extremists or the Evangelical fanatics. They're both bad, I know.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Well it seems he took the koran from a meditation room at the Uni. He should be charged with vandalism. If it were any other book he wouldnt even be prosecuted.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post
    Well it seems he took the koran from a meditation room at the Uni. He should be charged with vandalism. If it were any other book he wouldnt even be prosecuted.
    Yes, right, it's not like Christianity ever has tried to poke its dick into public affairs in the United States. No siree.

Centurion-Lucius-Vorenus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    In a cottage cheese cottage in Levittown, New york

What other reason would you have to commit a crime besides to hate someone ?

What other reason would you have to commit a crime besides to hate someone ?
    Thus is the main thing. This hate crime stuff is stupid. Its making thought a crime.

kev-o's Avatar Primicerius

Hate isn't a crime. It is an emotion.

Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. He will be cleared of all charges, but that doesn't make it any more pathetic that he was charged with this in the first place.

"Hate-crime" is such an oxymoron.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Oldgamer's Avatar My President ...
    Illinois, and I DID obtain my concealed carry permit! I'm packin'!

From the Helios. My article is the first editorial ...

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109490

I believe they are only making a show of punishing this man in order to appease Muslims. If the charges are immediately dropped, Muslims will cry foul but if you let them drag, as if it is taking a great amount of thought and consideration, they may believe that we are actually considering puting this guy in jail. Another case of sad concessions being made to Muslims in order to avoid seeming like America is anti-Islam, which we aren't, we are simply pro-law, or at least I hope we are. This case will speak volumes about where America is going.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time
    took an arrow to the knee

"Hate-crime..."

What a joke.

Makes me want to burn a Koran...
    Last edited by wandervogel; July 31, 2007 at 02:28 AM.

I think Muslims are beginning to contend with the Jews for being the most Cry Baby group of people. It is not for long before CAIR completely imitates the role of ADL. As a Muslim I feel kind of ashamed.

But anyway, it is gonna take a mass genocide for the term Anti-Muslim to have the same 'terrifying' effect as the term Anti-Semitic.

Makes me want to burn a Koran...
    Go ahead.

Peace,
    Last edited by jankren; July 31, 2007 at 02:47 AM.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." -- Robert Pirsig

"Feminists are silent when the bills arrive." -- Aetius

"Women have made a pact with the devil — in return for the promise of exquisite beauty, their window to this world of lavish male attention is woefully brief." -- Some Guy

Quote Originally Posted by jankren View Post
    Go ahead.
    But I wouldn't.

There is no such thing as a hate crime, and this isn't even a crime.

but korans make people turn into bombs... Proven fact by lead scientists..

Let's just hope they were fascist communist kittens who were on their way to international fascist communist fair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast