Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: American Sports A Bit Slow

Default Re: American Sports A Bit Slow

But the game itself was very fun. I don't think Europe can appreciate alot of the teams (Both in baseball & football) because it's just not that home town feel. I'm not a big baseball fan until the Chicago White Sox are playing the Chicago Cubs, then I'm down right hostile! I mean I grew up on the Southside of Chicago so I'm a White Sox fan by birth. Europe just can't appreciate that in my opinion. There's a rivalry and sense of hometown pride that goes along with American sports more so than simply watching that.
    if you think we cant appreciate team rivalry then you have never heard the song '**** on the villa' which i was taught from a young age, nor have you ever walked into certain places in Glasgow wearing a celtic shirt (or just green)
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

I like Soccer and certainly don't think it's boring, but how can anyone say American Football is boring? Have you ever PLAYED it? The adrenaline rush is insane, imagine catching a pass over the middle, and getting clobbered, or playing defense and handing out the punishment yourself. Football is one of the best sports to play, and also one of the best to watch.

Football is the most strategic game there is. What you keep saying are breaks are intense periods of planning and strategy, from both sides. In no other sport is the coach so important, he is the one calling the plays. A football team can be full of the very best players, but if they don't have a solid plan they will not win. Rugby is just a dumbed down version of football.

Rugby is just a dumbed down version of football.
    dumbed down...are you mental...american football is a copy of rugby where you are allowed to throw the ball forwards
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I used to hate baseball and football(being young) but now (being older,24) I love to watch and play them.

It used to seem slow,but now it seems like a well oiled machine.Everything happens in time and you can appreciate the little things.

I like watching the World Cup but Soccer to me some times seems so boring.Kind of like basketball,back and forth,back and forth.But there both decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary88 View Post
    dumbed down...are you mental...american football is a copy of rugby where you are allowed to throw the ball forwards
    Rugby is nowhere near as complicated as football, as far as I can gather. Then again I don't know much about it, but c'mon, Football is far more strategic than any sport in the world.

Rugby is nowhere near as complicated as football, as far as I can gather. Then again I don't know much about it, but c'mon, Football is far more strategic than any sport in the world.
    well i guess you do just have to do what your coach tells you to do for 10 seconds which must take a lot of practise/learning
    Adopted by Ferrets54

well i guess you do just have to do what your coach tells you to do for 10 seconds which must take a lot of practise/learning
    I assume you've never seen a play, and how they are called. the Coach doesn't just tell you run here and there, they call out a play, which can vary but usually consists of different numbers, letters, and phrases. There are literally hundreds of plays a player must memorize, and the QB can change the play before the snap, using code words you must also memorize. Football players are usually smart, they must know TONS of info.

just because you have a time between a play doesnt make it more strategic or more like a war, in rugby players are challenged to constantly think on their feet without a break. that means you have to train damned hard so that you can make split second decisions on the pitch and know that your team mates will be there with you. rugby is a war, one second you are sprinting with everything you have to score a try and the next second you are in all out defence trying to stop a huge block getting past you, there are no breaks you deal with what you get
    You obvioulsy have no conception in the least of football. I played soccer for years though not Rugby and believe me there is no such strategy in any sport as in football. Its like a series of battles as opposed to only one in most sports. If you dont study the sport you will have no idea of its intricasies.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

I assume you've never seen a play, and how they are called. the Coach doesn't just tell you run here and there, they call out a play, which can vary but usually consists of different numbers, letters, and phrases. There are literally hundreds of plays a player must memorize, and the QB can change the play before the snap, using code words you must also memorize. Football players are usually smart, they must know TONS of info.
    well i'm no expert ( i have madden 2005 ) and i agree football players have to remember alot but in the end it comes down to, you do a certain play meaning each reciever goes for a preplanned route and the quater back is left wondering which one to give it to based on how the defence reacts
    Adopted by Ferrets54

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

quater back is left wondering which one to give it to based on how the defence reacts
    that depends upon the coach. Yes the QB is given options but usually their is a go to guy for each down.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

that depends upon the coach. Yes the QB is given options but usually their is a go to guy for each down.
    how would that be picked then? would they consider one player les likely to get double cover etc or is it just random/gut instinct on which guy to go for?
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Preplanned routes? Because you own Madden 2005?

Why don't you become embarassed when you don't know what you're talking about?
    Last edited by David Deas; July 31, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
    Sponsored by the Last Roman

Preplanned routes? Because you own Madden 2005?

Why don't you get embarassed when you don't know what you're talking about?
    mate, madden 2005 was a joke hence the what i know about american football comes from the TV, and quite frankly i dont see how my statement is that incorrect, if you go for rush yards through the left of your own pack (is pack the right word) with a simple hand of from the QB thats a preplanned route. if your wide reciever is to go down the outside but then cut back infield to throw off the blocker (again whatever the marking defender is called) thats a preplanned route
    Adopted by Ferrets54

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

how would that be picked then? would they consider one player les likely to get double cover etc or is it just random/gut instinct on which guy to go for?
    Number one they rehearse plays to be played more or less the exact same way on the practice field as they are on game day. They have these automatic plays that are designed each week and memorized to exploit the other guys weakness. If you have a 6'7" WR that outruns their fasted CB who's only 5' he's going to be your go to guy. You'll have two or three basic plays specifically for that guy. They can be a sort of insurance policy while you try to develop a running game or get the team worried about another "go to guy." Depending on how smart, experienced and capable a QB is their freedom is limited. Some coaches will have everyhting choreographed, other times with like a Manning and capable recievers they'll have options within the play and the ability to change the play entirely.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

ah i see, is it an oversimplification to say your 'go to guy' is the best player ou have or is it a case of the best suited to the team you are against?
    Adopted by Ferrets54

if you think we cant appreciate team rivalry then you have never heard the song '**** on the villa' which i was taught from a young age, nor have you ever walked into certain places in Glasgow wearing a celtic shirt (or just green)
    I'm saying you cannot appreciate and be as attached to American teams because you didn't grow up with them and you'er not apart of that city.

As an American, a city like Glasgow doesn't really ring a bell with me and the only time I really wear green is when I'm trashed off my *** on St. Patrick's day... and I'm not even Irish (but I can out drink one) Sports are a cultural thing and unless those cultures share something, I don't think it can be appreciated as much.

But hey, I stick with distance running, it's what I know best.

Number one they rehearse plays to be played more or less the exact same way on the practice field as they are on game day. They have these automatic plays that are designed each week and memorized to exploit the other guys weakness. If you have a 6'7" WR that outruns their fasted CB who's only 5' he's going to be your go to guy. You'll have two or three basic plays specifically for that guy
    The QBs first job is to read the defense and look for favorable match ups. If he sees something he can take advantage of he can call an audible and change the play at the line. Some teams like the Colts and Jets call plays at the line all the time and dont huddle at all . I doubt many off you have any conception of how many hours of film these guys study. Its just like planning a major battle in a war. The OB for the Jets for instance hasnt much of an arm but boy is he smart and can read a defense and get the job done.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

I'm saying you cannot appreciate and be as attached to American teams because you didn't grow up with them and you'er not apart of that city.

As an American, a city like Glasgow doesn't really ring a bell with me and the only time I really wear green is when I'm trashed off my *** on St. Patrick's day... and I'm not even Irish (but I can out drink one) Sports are a cultural thing and unless those cultures share something, I don't think it can be appreciated as much.

But hey, I stick with distance running, it's what I know best.
    Glasgow is the largest city in scotland and home of Glasgow rangers football team, they are rivaled with celtic and this rivalry is the kind of thing that will get you killed. celtic wear a green and white hooped shirt and i know rangers fans who literally cannot stand the sight of the colour green

I doubt many off you have any conception of how many hours of film these guys study. Its just like planning a major battle in a war.
    they do that in all sports (watch hours of footage) there are many examples of how players/teams have achieved success because other teams didnt have any footage of them and so they didnt have good enough preparation to deal with them. any premiership fans might remeber how well Ipswich did a few years ago the first season they came back up or how well reading did this year
    Last edited by Gary88; July 31, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
    Adopted by Ferrets54

American football fans have nothing on Soccer fans , thats for sure. Their nuts.

Yeah I was looking for that example of a Colts playcall on the net but couldn't find it. The Coach (more specifically the offensive coordinator, who is the offense's coach) gives Manning (the QB) a play call that includes three plays, two runs and a pass, and several fake words and numbers to throw off the defense if they hear the call. Playcalls in Madden are very simplified, first off you can ctually see what the play is with xs and os, but in a real game all a coach has is a sheet of names to go off of.