Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: American Sports A Bit Slow

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: American Sports A Bit Slow

The QBs first job is to read the defense and look for favorable match ups. If he sees something he can take advantage of he can call an audible and change the play at the line.
    It all depends on the coach and how much he wants to delegate. Game film does alot of that and it also depends on the freedom of the QB. Gruden sure as hell wouldn't allow Gradkowski to call an audible. He would hardly let Simms do it. Brad Johnson and Griese he trusted a tad bit more.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

again i do realise that madden the game is very simplified hence it being a joke
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

I know that, but now you started a real discussion. BTW 10 days til preseason
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

whats preseason then, is it what we would call friendlies?
    Adopted by Ferrets54

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Gary88 View Post
    whats preseason then, is it what we would call friendlies?
    Similar, just a chance for the rookies and bad players to get some PT, to help get them some experience and help the Coaches separate the good from bad. Basically the same, although it seems like Friendlies in soccer are more hyped up, with more fans attending.

it's the first 4 practice games of the season where the coaches tryout the rookies and warm up the vets

It all depends on the coach and how much he wants to delegate. Game film does alot of that and it also depends on the freedom of the QB. Gruden sure as hell wouldn't allow Gradkowski to call an audible. He would hardly let Simms do it. Brad Johnson and Griese he trusted a tad bit more.
    Of course. Im just pointing out that there is alot more to football than just atheletic ability and that a QB who is good at reading defenses is a very valuable advantage.
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

O, sorry I thought we were arguing and I was trying to figure out what we were arguing, lol

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    It might seem like I'm America Bashing and if I've gone to far then you can close this thread, ban me and come to Ireland and beat me up!

I just think in american sports they seem to spend more time waiting to play instead of actually playing. American Football Example: They spend about 10 to 20 seconds choosing the play, then they take about 5 seconds to get ready, then the QB might change around a few things which takes 2 or 3 seconds and then there's the fake snaps which take about 5 second. And then they take the snap and the play finishes in about 5 seconds unless it was a very successful play and if it was the players spend another few seconds celebrating. Those anyone else think this?
    well yeah, american football is not about fluid gameplay like soccer...it's much more about strategic gameplay...well, that's not to say that soccer is not strategic, but american football is much more about planning set plays (which are a bit more rigid than in soccer) and attempting to execute them against a set defensive play (and vice versa)

lol, i don't know if that made any sense to you, but my point is that it's a lot less fluid than soccer, but heavy amounts of strategizing are involved

rep me if you like my posts, and it's highly likely you'll get some back

what do you guys think of baseball? we get all the big american sports on here late at night and i have bad insomnia so i put it on sometimes, my god that **** is dull. i always manage to start watching in time to see that in the last innings they got 7 runs but i have no idea how because in this innings they seem fine without being able to hit the ball at all and if they do it goes for a foul ball...christ alive its awful, worse than ice hockey
    Adopted by Ferrets54

I for one don't like baseball cause it seems like only the better team wins with no chance for the underdog and because of this it seems like the games are predictable.....just my thoughts please don't kill me for saying this
    Not changing signature until Oklahoma University wins the national championship. (Started 8-18-07)

what do you guys think of baseball?
    Mostly boring. I tend to wait for the 8th or 9th inning to watch it even during the playoffs.

But talk about slow and boring . What beats golf for that?

Robin Williams on golf

Now are Scottish sports slow?
    I have nothing against the womens movement. Especially when Im walking behind it.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by oklahomasooners View Post
    I for one don't like baseball cause it seems like only the better team wins with no chance for the underdog and because of this it seems like the games are predictable.....just my thoughts please don't kill me for saying this
    Hmm, baseball is the game that seems least like this to me.

Perhaps over the whole season, the best teams win the most and it averages out, but you often see stuff like the Devil Rays beating the Yankees or Red Sox 18-4, it all depends on how the pitchers are throwing and if the batters are hot.

Hell, sometimes college teams beat pro teams in baseball, that would never, ever, ever happen in the NFL or NBA.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

baseball is fun. It's good to be there and talk with friends before the game, go in the game and drink and talk with friends. Have a fantastic hotdog drink so beer. Then every so often a major play takes place. Unless it's a major game like the yankees and the sox or a crosstown rivalry like the white sox and the cubs, then every play is major. the cool part about basebal is that it is never over til the last out.

Perhaps over the whole season, the best teams win the most and it averages out, but you often see stuff like the Devil Rays beating the Yankees or Red Sox 18-4, it all depends on how the pitchers are throwing and if the batters are hot.
    damn the law of large numbers. You play enough games and you perform up to expectations or maintain a standard normal distribution and perform to your true average.
    Last edited by JP226; July 31, 2007 at 11:34 PM.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

One of my favorite things about baseball stadiums, or at least about the Orioles park at Camden Yards, because that's the only one I've been to, is that you can bring your own food and drinks in, except alcohol.

Yes, you can bring a whole basket of hotdogs and hamburgers and a cooler of drinks if you want, and they don't care.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post
    American football fans have nothing on Soccer fans , thats for sure. Their nuts.
    Raiders' fans could give any soccer hooligan a run for his money.

Also in regard to Rugby vs Football (American), this should be required reading:

http://wesclark.com/rrr/pads_and_helmets.html

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

The OB for the Jets for instance hasnt much of an arm but boy is he smart and can read a defense and get the job done.
    Both #10s in New York are very inconsistent, Eli can show sheer brilliance with where he puts his passes and at other times throw into triple coverage, Chad can show incredible intelligence with his reading of defenses but will other times get too excited and try to bomb it deep and end up getting intercepted.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Raiders' fans could give any soccer hooligan a run for his money.
    Im afraid not. We dont kill people over the game.

Chad can show incredible intelligence with his reading of defenses but will other times get too excited and try to bomb it deep and end up getting intercepted.
    Ive never liked Manning. he is way to inacurrate .Chads problem with the bomb is his lack of arm strength however. If you could combine them you would have one hell of a QB however.

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Rush Limbaugh View Post
    Im afraid not. We dont kill people over the game.
    False. There are many incidents of rival fans killing each other. I think the most recent case was a South Carolina fan beating to death a Clemson fan over their annual rivalry game.

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

False. There are many incidents of rival fans killing each other. I think the most recent case was a South Carolina fan beating to death a Clemson fan over their annual rivalry game.
    Thats not what Im talking about

We dont have anything like this

Riots - Argentinian Soccer 06/25/2007

South American Soccer Riots

football riots ( soccer )