Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stories about ghosts and warewolves

Dracula's Avatar Praefectus

Default Stories about ghosts and warewolves

Come on,I need info on this . Where are they ? Especially from GBritain
    Last edited by Dracula; July 31, 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Do ghosts exist ? Warewolfs ? Witches ? Did I miss something ?

What I wanted to say but didn't:

What the hell have you been smoking?

What I will say:

Simple answer: yes...in your imagination.

There's all ways stories and tellings of ghosts and strange happenings. Some of them are strange others are fakes you be judge.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

And you don't know even 1 story ?! Great .

Ged's Avatar Miles

Flick through some sky channels, I'm sure there'll be a ghost channel......I mean they have a channel for pretty much everything else.

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    And you don't know even 1 story ?! Great .
    Actually I do know one. There's ( supposedly) a ghost of a young woman who lingers near a cemetery. She's often seen by drivers and they pull over to give her a lift when she's walking along the road. She than gets into your car and gives you various directions to her "home". After following all of the directions you arrive back at the cemetery and she disappears.

If you wanted stories I would edit the title so people don't get all smart-arsy on you.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Roshak View Post
    What I wanted to say but didn't:

What the hell have you been smoking?

lmao +rep, to the orginal question i think harry potter has them in.....lol

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Stories about ghosts and warewolves

Yes, they are both present in the Harry Potter books, which accurately document the magical world. If you want to find these creatures yourself, or something, your best bet would probably be to try to find a wizard who can tell you more.

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's no such things as ghosts and "warewolves". You even spelled it wrong. >___>

Go check out at your local library "Goosebumps" if you're craving that sort of crap.

Dude ... there are several stories & myths were i come from (that would be India) mostly in the villages where people are mostly uneducated & pretty naive.

I shall inform you of such 'stories' once i recollect some which i heard when i was a small kid and used to go live with my grandparents in the village during the summer holidays.

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!

I used to have a sheet with all kinds of horror story info on it... If I find it I can give you the name of the book and author of the first werewolf story known...

Join me at dinooftheweek.blogspot.com

This thread would be totally worth it if someone posted pictures of Kate Beckinsale kicking some warewolf butt.
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Quote Originally Posted by inae View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but there's no such things as ghosts
    ive seen a ghost.... lol

Quote Originally Posted by ][Xyphos][ - Lee View Post
    ive seen a ghost.... lol
    sorry to burst other people's bubble but there isn't any such thing as god... anyone can make those kinds of assertions. I believe in ghosts and aliens, if you've seen one don't let people tell you they don't exist...

Anyway, I said I'd get back to everyone if I found that blue sheet, and I found it.
    1) Sabine Baring-Gould The Book of Werewolves 1865 (academic study)
    2) Guy S. Endore The Werewolf of Paris 1933
    3) David Garnett Lady into Fox 1922 (single story, "classic" were-fox story)
    4) Frederick Marryat The Phantom Ship 1839 (contains, but is not entirely about, the first werewolf story in English)
    5) H. Warner Munn The Werewolf of Ponkert 1925

There are obviously more, but these are the "classic" references or stories about werewolves. I can give you a list of ghost stories from my source sheet too later if you'd like; let me know.

Not really anything to do with werewolves but the name shot into my head anyway; Beowulf. An English story, but set in Scandanavia.

There was this story my grandmother told me everytime i went to visit her in the little village she lived in near the Indian city of Mumbai. It was located in a valley & therefore was connected to the rest of the world only through a small pass at the foothills of the Sahyadri mountains. So the legend there was that once a woman who was a prostitute had been hung there after she refused to have abortion by the village landlord i think. I dont remember her name ... but i think it was the name of some flower. Anyways ... so they said that she was turned into a ghost or more like a spirit that never left for 'heaven' but is still trapped on the earth because it had a 'mission' to complete.

So as she was said to haunt the main pass where all the village traffic passed through a exorcist was brought after 6 people were killed in the vicinity by slitting their throats. During this while I was in Mumbai/Bombay & when i came to the village the exorcist had told the people that she (the ghost) was gone after doing some random bantering ! I was 8 & still believed in ghosts & was terrified to know that the ghost still killed & was more scared to know that i had passed the same road a few hours ago in the evening when these killings took place.

Soon the police arrived & did some investigation & found that some dumb bandits of sort did this & exploited the prostitutes story for their own banditry. Anyways ... all i wanted 2 say was ... Ghosts do not exist. It is man's imagination working/or being exploited by others for their own needs.

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mightyfenrir View Post
    There are obviously more, but these are the "classic" references or stories about werewolves. I can give you a list of ghost stories from my source sheet too later if you'd like; let me know.
    Very nice I would like to hear more .

In that case I'd check out Ambrose Bierce, American journalist who took his time as a lieutenant in the Indiana Volunteers during the Civil War and used the gruesomeness to write short stories. His stories earned him the nickname Bitter Bierce and a lot of his work is about the "glory" of battle and the ghosts that arise from war.

Jay Anson's Amityville Horror is a good haunted house story and he made a follow up called 666, both written in the last three years of his life.

W.P. Blatty wrote the Exorcist...

Henry James actually wrote a ghost story called The Turn of the Screw... I don't know if you can stand James or not, I've never actually tried but I've heard it's difficult.

M.R. James has written a collection dated 1904 of ghost stories called Ghost Stories of an Antiquary. It's a scholarly work like Baring-Gould's work.

J. Sheridan LeFanu was also a writer of ghost stories in his day, but these were mostly pre-1870's so you can expect the fright level to be on quite a different level as compared to today's blood and guts. Personally I like those stories more because they seem much more personal and biting.

H.P. Lovecraft is a pretty much a god of supernatural writing... and he couldn't afford paper when he was alive so he wrote on receipts, bills, napkins... remarkable, but deranged; his stories show it well sometimes.

Not that it's about ghosts, but I'd also recommend reading Richard Matheson's I Am Legend before it comes out in theaters. If you read the history of people making that story into a movie and look at the plot of the new movie after you read it you may end up mad or sad. I was both, I want a really good version of this to come out.

Thorne Smith wrote a piece called Topper about an alcoholic ghost... interesting

Finally, Peter Straub, whom I don't care for, wrote Ghost Story, but like I said, I don't care for him so I haven't read that.

Wow man, you gave us nice presents for the free time !

And what is "fenrir" by the way ?

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    And what is "fenrir" by the way ?
    http://www.google.fr/search?hl=en&cl...chercher&meta=

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast