Thread: Emperor Hadrianus

Default Emperor Hadrianus

Well, The university of Leuven (Belgium) just recovered pieces of a statue from Emperor Hadrianus in The Turkisch country of Sagalassos, they found a foot about 0.80meters big a leg about 0.70 meters and a well preserved head. One of the most finest portrets of the emperor. The pieces where found in a bathcomplex.

Can anyone tell me a bit about this emperor?
    Last edited by Aether; August 01, 2007 at 05:33 AM.

Default Re: Emperor Hadrianus

WELL I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT HIM , BUT I THINK HE WAS ROMAN AND BUILT FAMOUS HADRIANS WALL AT ENGLAND...

SORRY IF I'M MISTAKEN

REGARDS
    LEONIDAS OF SPARTA
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon

Trax's Avatar It's a conspiracy!

Donīt shout.

That means turn caps lock off on your keyboard.

Idwayreth's Avatar Centenarius

one of the "5 good emperors", ruled during the height of the empire, built the famous wall in britain.
    If God were a man he'd be me.

At first i simply observed. But i found that without investment in others, life serves no purpose.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Emperor Hadrian, one of "the five Good Emperors", successed after Emperor Trajan died. The most important contribution of Emperor Hardrian is probably the consolidation of Rome Empire, since he spent most of his time visiting all frontier, built up defence and reorganized Imperial Army. Under his rule, the Empire managed to build up a strong defence in all frontiers, which would increase Rome Empire's life in the next few centuries.

By the way, he also ended Trajan's Persian expedition and considered about given up the new province of Dacia, which he did not for some reasons.

Delvecchio1975's Avatar Primicerius

a very good description of this brilliant emperor:

http://www.roman-emperors.org/hadrian.htm

MaximiIian's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Trax View Post
    Donīt shout.
    I've never understood why all-caps indicate shouting. I always use them more for emphasis than anything else. I would say that increasing font size would constitute shouting far more than typing in all-caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    Can anyone tell me a bit about this emperor?
    Like everyone else said, built the Hadrian's Wall, which forms the true border between England and Scotland.
    Greatly improved the Empire's organizational structure.

To everyone else:
    I can't remember- was he the Emperor right before Richard Harris?
    Last edited by MaximiIian; August 01, 2007 at 11:27 AM.

Kiljan Arslan's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Wasn't he the one who almost destroyed the Jews?
    according to exarch I am like
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    sure, the way fred phelps finds christianity too optimistic?

Simple truths
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Did you know being born into wealth or marrying into wealth really shows you never did anything to earn it?
    btw having a sig telling people not to report you is hilarious.

Hadrian ruled after Trajan, the Conqueror of Dacia. He was the first Emperor to actively take a defensive stance for the Empire, after Trajan expanded it well beyond its real capacity to defend itself. Fact is, Hadrian's time was already a time of decline: the denarius was slowly losing value, the slave-based economy was beginning to erode as the rate of great conquests was decreasing and citizenship was slowly expanding.

It was during Hadrian's (or Trajan's) time that Juvenal wrote his famous satires, coining the word "panes et circences" (bread and circuses) for the first time. This is to show that the mob was slowly losing her freedom and her interests in anything besides games and games. Most of the unemployed Plebeian class relied upon the grain dole to survive and not rebel, and that, along with the army, drained a vast amount of funds from the State.

Hadrian also created a network of agents, the Frumentarii, who would investigate people all around the Empire. It was useful for keeping a track of the loyalty and competence of the governors. The Frumentarii were initially succesful thanks to their common profession: they distributed grain, and so were well able to catch the latest gossip and detect anything strange among the common people. Later on, they became so hated that they were abolished more or less at the same time than the Praetorian Guards.

Hadrian had also a male lover, called Antinous, who drowned in Egypt. He is reported to have cried for days, and the Romans at that time made several statues of Antinous, perhaps one of the most well portrayed figures in Ancient History.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Quote Originally Posted by Trax View Post
    Donīt shout.

LOL I'M USING FORMAT 1.... IF YOU CALL THAT SHOUTING..

LEONIDAS
    "Hoti to kratisto" - Alexander of Macedon