Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with stress and anxiety

Default Re: Dealing with stress and anxiety

Quote Originally Posted by Gary88 View Post
    other than the fact its the equivelent of 5 cigarettes in carcinogen terms and linked to inumerable mental health issues
    You can smoke out of a vaporizer and bake canabis butter if youre worried about carcinogens and your lungs.

And what do you mean "its equal to 5 cigarrettes"? That sounds like complete B.S. to me, what's equal to 5 cigarrettes? A nickel bag? A dime bag? An eighter? An ounce?

Anyway, you dont HAVE to smoke marijuana to get the desired effects. Ferrets is complaining of high stress and low appetite. Well, there is a pill made from Cannabis extracts called Marinol, that helps alleviate those exact problems. And its not illegal because its fully supported by the pharmaceutical industry, so that should put all the law-abiding citizen's concerns to rest, knowing full well that just enough and just the right kind of people were bribed to bring you a new drug from Merck and Phizer.

Here, sorry the prescription pill is called Marinol not Cannibanol. That was my mistake, but this pill is real and legal and safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marinol

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Arrrgh!ina View Post
    Ferrets my brother, I'm sorry to hear this. It's a bit of a surprise, because I read so much confidence and knowledge in your posts.
    I don't want to pry, but have you identified the source? This is fundamental. If you don't squash the source then this **** doesn't end.
    I had horrible anxiety attacks, similar to what both you and Boof describe. You know what? They ended when I buggered off and joined the army at 17. The source was my bloody ol' man. For the first time I was free of that dastard. Kind of funny that digging shell scrapes in frozen earth, barking NCO's, and Gulf War One didn't hold a candle to the stress my crochety ol' man gave me..
    What, is it school? Home? You don't have to tell us knuckleheads on TWC, but if you identify the source and cut it out of your life, well, it did it for me. Now if I could only get Mrs. Arrrgh! from hitting me with the frying pan...
    Well, that's the thing, I am pretty confident. I have good enough self-esteem most of the time and am utterly fearless towards other people or difficult situations like public speaking which I can do easily.

This is different though. The anxiety feeds on itself. You are anxious of being anxious which makes you anxious, if you follow. If you think ahead, "actually I'm worried if I eat this I will feel ill and be unable to go out" then you get anxious about that and it happens.

Stress builds up, and can be taken from other stressful people around you. I think the major problem is living at home. I have no real freedom, my mum does not listen to me at all and there is nothing I can do about this. My parents argue constantly. Daily. I got home today from visiting a friend in Lincolnshire and my parents were arguing, I heard my mum whining about being 'unloved'. When my Dad gets home from work they fight. Sometimes they will fight in their room at one o'clock in the morning keeping me and my siblings awake. My mum will occaisionally burst into the room that I'm in and yell at me for the oddest things, and it destroys my nerve. I have come close to yelling at them on several occaisions and have considered leaving home often. Trouble is I can't, I'm utterly trapped. I can go off to Reading to live at a friends house but I have no way in hell of getting my stuff up there unless my Dad drives me up there, so I just have to bare it all until I return to Uni on the 1st of October, which is an absolutely daunting time away, I don't even want to imagine the time. The only good things I have is that from this weekend onwards I will often be at Reading working the bar for weddings and business do's. I am already starting to plan where I will live next year - because I cannot come home.

MasterInquisitor's Avatar Ordinarius

My parents argue constantly (just read my blog...).
    I escape to my room, and play my music loudly, thus locking myself up in my own little world.

The reason why I'm looking forward to uni, and why I'm away from home for about 4 days of the week. With my parents arguing I go where I cannot hear them, and drown them out with music, though I get told to turn it down.

And try and talk things over with your mum if she has these outbursts. I hate talking to my mum about that sort of thing, but sometimes it helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    A chomping evil Kentish Giraffe who constantly sings "Four legs good ,two legs bad"

Can't escape. My siblings have all fortified one room each. All I have is this study and I can turn up whatever I'm watching or listening to but it's never enough.

You can do exercises, I do that too when I'm stressed. Toss on my headphones with my ipod and just excercise, run, box, stretch, kick, punch, sweat.

Bwaho's Avatar Puppeteer
    From the kingdom of heaven by the powah of the holy spirit

Ferrets my brother, I'm sorry to hear this. It's a bit of a surprise, because I read so much confidence and knowledge in your posts
    yeah I thought the same at first. but usually troubled people act that way, no offense

Quote Originally Posted by -BulletproofTurban- View Post
    You can do exercises, I do that too when I'm stressed. Toss on my headphones with my ipod and just excercise, run, box, stretch, kick, punch, sweat.
    Yeah, this something I haven't explored much and I'm going to start running tomorrow. Before now I've been walking a lot, going out on the moors, but mostly to get away not work up a sweat.

Sorry Turban, I was skim-reading and vaguely remembered the word self-medication in one of your previous posts forgetting about the part on asking a doctor about it (which in case he'd prescribe it wouldn't be self-medication anymore, but anyway...).

For his digestive problems though, I doubt he'll receive Nabilone but rather Omeprazole, maybe in combination with amoxicillin and clarithromycin, depending on further results.

But clearly the underlying situation needs to be resolved, maybe helped with a little Buspirone...

under the patronage of Belisarius

I have mild anxiety problems, but it seems of a different sort then you. Mine is more of a social anxiety and a crap ton of stress. I think I acquired my stomach ulcer from all the anxiety 8 or so years ago, so it can be a really harmful thing even in small doses. Pretty much all I do is listen to music and that normally sets me straight, so just find something that calms you and makes you take your mind off of things.
    "Give me the storm and stress of thought and action rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith.
    Banish me from Eden when you will but first let me eat of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge."

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Sounds like you're in need of a vacation, frankly.

*which reminded me that my own summer vacation just ended 4 minutes ago, officially, it's 00:04 'ere in Finland and it's school today at 10:30 . Well, *****
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

Don't know if I should post here, but oh well.

I am a sufferer of anxiety, stress and depression.

I have been diagnosed with clinical depression, have dropped out of school, and have spent the night in a hospital because my psychologist was afraid I was going to kill myself.

I have self-harmed on dozens of occasions. I have practically split my legs open with a pair of scissors. I have two horrendous scars on my legs.

I can barely go outside. I have zero self-esteem. The only time I feel little or no stress is when I am alone, and even then I am stressed about housework I have to do.

I don't know what else to say... please post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard L Black View Post
    Don't know if I should post here, but oh well.

I am a sufferer of anxiety, stress and depression.

I have been diagnosed with clinical depression, have dropped out of school, and have spent the night in a hospital because my psychologist was afraid I was going to kill myself.

I have self-harmed on dozens of occasions. I have practically split my legs open with a pair of scissors. I have two horrendous scars on my legs.

I can barely go outside. I have zero self-esteem. The only time I feel little or no stress is when I am alone, and even then I am stressed about housework I have to do.

I don't know what else to say... please post.
    With a list of that many and severe problems the only thing I suggest is seeking professional help and getting properly medicated. Go to a psychologist he can help you better than anyone in here.
    Herman Göring (Field Marshall General)

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Quote Originally Posted by Black Hawk View Post
    With a list of that many and severe problems the only thing I suggest is seeking professional help and getting properly medicated. Go to a psychologist he can help you better than anyone in here.
    I already am. I thought it was about time someone outside my family knew. And TWC has a friendly atmosphere and provides just enough anonymity...

I already am. I thought it was about time someone outside my family knew. And TWC has a friendly atmosphere and provides just enough anonymity...
    Hasn't it helped you?

"Naturally the common people don't want war; neither in Russia, nor in England, nor in America, nor in Germany. That is understood. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Hasn't it helped you?
    Sort of. I don't think about killing myself so much anymore, and I haven't self-harmed in months.

LoZz's Avatar who are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    For about a year now I have had problems with anxiety and to a lesser extent stress. It comes out in several ways. I can have panic attacks occaisionally but I've learnt to control these so they're not a problem. Breathing can often become irregular, even to the point where automatic breathing stops altogether. I can get massive, massive headaches.

Worst thing is food. I have utterly no appetite and if I force myself to eat I feel incredibly sick. I don't eat anything before I go out now because it is almost garaunteed to ruin that evening.

Pretty much at the end of my own ability to deal with it all now, and I don't know what to do.

your anxiety most likly comes from the fact the future is uncertain for you. when we where in school you knew what the next couple of years was about, school, 6th forum/college then university. now however you are at that last point and your like "**** what do i do with the rest of my life?" its something that happens to all people of our age, some people just brush it off others do not, if you remember it caused major depression for me a few months ago, for you it causes anxiety.

sadly the one thing i learnt is that the only cure is time, once you pick a career choice and start making advances towards it then it will go and suddenly you will feel purpose in your life, i felt so much better once i started to learn how to drive and signed up for the RAF, and once you make your choice you will as well.

in the short term talking helps! ether a trusted friend or relative can make you feel better even if they are just a person to moan at, parents would be best but i can understand thats not easy.

you will proberly find that your illness and the headaches etc are caused by your poor diet, if you fixed that you will feel 10 times better i swear.

cut out all caffine, or as much as you can, and keep suger down to a small amount.

drink less alcohol.

eat alot of fruit, when i feel ill bannana's are the only thing i feel like eating.

stop snacking and try to just eat 3 square meals a day.

edit: after reading the rest of the topic ignor my first paragraph or two. the only solutions i see is to talk with your parents, now i know its the hardest thing in the world but it is the only way to fix it, once then realise what they are doing is harming you it may help them stop, my parents had the odd arguement but they usually would go outside or whatever.

also think of your younger siblings, they have to put up with it all day every day when for you its just a few months, i would recomend for their sake you also be the big brother you need to be and speak on their behalf, imagen what its doing to them. dispite what your mum is doing you are still the most important thing in her life and its the same for your father and they feel the same about your siblings, true they dont always show it but they are human like you and i. if they discover that what they are doing is causing you so much pain they will go out of their way to stop it, its a parents worst nightmere that what they are doing is harming their child and it doesnt change no matter how old the kid gets, trust me mate talking to them will be best, who knows it may even be the words of their eldest son they need to make them realise what they are doing is so bad.
    Last edited by LoZz; August 12, 2007 at 07:37 PM.

Sort of. I don't think about killing myself so much anymore, and I haven't self-harmed in months.
    We'll that shows progress which is a good thing , you just gotta keep at it and don't give up lol

I personally find that running or boxing helps me out a lot with stress, you could also give that a try. Watching something funny on the television also helps out, try took at all the beautiful things in the world and don't concentrate so much on the sad things.

Watching something funny on the television also helps out
    You have NO IDEA how much it helps. Basically it's all that keeps me floating.

Hell, I took my name from a British comedy series.

I take a lot of comfort in music when I'm feeling sad or melancholic.

Not whiny or sappy emo music, but crunk, tight beat, make-your-adrenaline-pump music.

thats basically what I do when I'm feeling low, I make my adrenaline bump and the natural chemicals to the brain elevate your mood.

Roshak's Avatar Senator

Here's an excellent way of reducing stress and anxiety: Meditation.

Seriously don't laugh at it, it can work wonders for you. Not that hard to do and you'll feel a lot better.

I try to do it a few times a week.

Arrogance is the Leading Cause of Defeat.

New to the Multiplayer or just Total War games? Check out Roshak's Guide

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast