Page 77 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2752676869707172737475767778798081828384858687102127 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 3488

Thread: Discussion and Announcements

Default Re: Discussion and Announcements

Quote Originally Posted by DimeBagHo View Post
    XGM version 5.1.1 is now available for download.

You can get it here.
    You can see the readme here.

The major changes are:

-Added AOR Gaesatae
    -Added AOR Thureophoroi
    -Added AOR East Hillmen
    -Added AOR East Heavy Spearmen
    -Minor corrections to AOR recruiting
    -Fixed bug in civil war scripts

This is mostly a bug-fixer, but I've added in a few more AOR units so that the Auxiliary Barracks will be more useful. Saved games from version 5.1.0 should work fine.
    AOR Gaesatae?? I thought Aux Barracks were for basic native conscripts. The Gaesatae are the elite Gallic unit and IMHO it feels really wrong for Romans, Greeks etc to be able to recruit them at all??

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Well, you should also be able to recruit some heavier units in some places, in any case I think at least carthaginians should be able to recruit gaesatae as they did historically...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Still think that the ordinary Barbarian Infantry would be OK for other culture's to recruit. Gaesatae are a high level outfit for the gaul's and allowing them in the auxilliary barracks seems to defeat the point of having culture specific features - as well as just feeling wrong.

I agree that Carthage should have access to 'gallic' troops, but thought that AOR or mercenary pillum fodder troops would be more appropriate.

Well, Hannibal had a nice core of gaesatae in his army so carthage recruiting gaesatae isn't such a huge stretch...
    Also, if you consider history many factions hired on semi-mercenary basis (or better, fighting in exchange for a land lot like ptolemaic and seleucid galatians) tribal troops that were in between regular and elites (so basically slightly toned down chosen swordsmen/axemen/whatever) having a slightly different version as AOR would be appropriate (see EB for references)...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Just so long as it isn't easier for rome to conquer Genoa and recruit Gaesatae faster than the Gauls themselves can!!!

Still think that 1st max 2nd level troops should be all that is available at Auxilliary Barracks.....

Unrelated matter, but many moons ago you suggested a rebel stack in the Sardinian mountains. Playing as Rome I just invaded there and marched through the interior to whip the Carthage garrison without seeing any rebel armies. I think it would be a nice idea if there was the occasional rebel stack on the islands (no danger of them wandering of fthen...)

Well, it would be nice to emulate the sardinian rebellion to roman conquest somehow, it's an often overshadowed but important part of the 2nd punic war.

Basically the sardinians rebelled while Hannibal was in Italy and they asked for carthaginian assistance, which in turn diverted the reinforcements destined to Hannibal itself with all future consequences...

Even after that, the sardinian tribes of the interior kept striking from the central mountains and it took 4 "pacification" (aka forest burning and liberal use of wardogs) campaigns to finally subdue the island.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

I've uploaded a fixed version of 5.1.1, and a patch in the downloads thread. (Fixes a problem with the reforms trigger).

Hippias: The Gaesatae were mercenaries, so it's not entirely unrealistic to have them as an AOR unit (though it is a bit of a stretch to have the Romans recruiting them).

I've uploaded a fixed version of 5.1.1, and a patch in the downloads thread. (Fixes a problem with the reforms trigger).

Hippias: The Gaesatae were mercenaries, so it's not entirely unrealistic to have them as an AOR unit (though it is a bit of a stretch to have the Romans recruiting them).
    Really just concerned about the game balance. I like the current government system, but it will lose a lot of its value if you can recruit decent units without having to build a colony - I thought un-colonised provinces should just be able to recruit the lowest level militia units (i.e. basic barbarian infantry, doryphori etc?).

If non-Gauls want to recruit Gaesatae then have a couple of mercenary units available around Tolosa & Burdigala.

Well, uncolonized provinces should let you recruit the local troops except some elites, of course there should be some extra refinements (EB style) about order and economy but they will be eventually sorted out (and you know XGM updating pace once something is decided)
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

@Redfox: The links to your work don't work. I have used "save as" on it as you said, but it will only download and HTML Data which links me to that piece of weird code I recieve when directly clicking on the link. Your work looks really promising, so it would be very sad if people can't get it.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Better if you don't download it then, I'm working on fixing some bugs with the battlefield textures and the campaign map textures will be included in the first public beta.
    Currently i'm working on eliminating bugs and balancing the gameplay, so it will take some time before a decent version will finally be released.

Though IGCS are extremely fun to play, first in the history of RTW or XGM regardless I lost 3 settlements in a row and am struggling for survival.
    With a few more bugfixes it should be quite playable to anyone, still have to include some new features though.
    I'm also dropping the idea of governments, I don't really see any usefulness in it. Instead I will use standard religions, Barbarian, Hellenic and Eastern.

IGCS short campaign objectives look simple enough - you need to capture a total of 19 settlements (+8), but you have no idea how hard it is to acctually do it!

Interested this?

Greek Strategos:

DOWNLOAD: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1331

SCREEN:

-only model and texture, without Units Cards, because it is general model

I will make Greek Cavarly and Late Spartan Hoplite, soon.

Regards,
    KLA

Balikedes's Avatar Time to Rock

I'm not sure whether to say "holy crap" or "WOW!" - very nice KLA...
    Patron of Suppanut, relentless work, check it out.
    XGM Command - A Sub-Mod of the Extended Greek Mod and now included in Diadochi: Total War

HardSun on XBoxLive - Destiny and other stuff

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Balikedes View Post
    I'm not sure whether to say "holy crap" or "WOW!" - very nice KLA...
    ditto

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

RedFox's Avatar When it's done.™

Would need some UWV's fixed, but otherwise this one acctually looks ok
    With your permission i'd make a few changes to it and include it in XGM - Diadochi, if you don't mind.
    Will give full credit to you naturally
    Though i'd also like a copy of the texture psd file, to make some adjustments - some parts have been literally
    "cut" together and need some serious smoothing and rework.
    Last edited by RedFox; May 03, 2007 at 11:48 AM.

Part of the fun of RTW is doing strange, ahistorical things.

That, and if there's anything the Roman military did, it was integrate effective foreign auxiliaries.

How about some AOR British/Celtic chariots? In a lot of cases the basic auxilliary barracks is useful, but the upper tier ones are pointless.
    Under the patronage of Simetrical. I am but a pawn in his evil schemes.

Maraxus's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Dulce_et_Decorum_Est View Post
    How about some AOR British/Celtic chariots? In a lot of cases the basic auxilliary barracks is useful, but the upper tier ones are pointless.
    I have a pontic campaign going right now and hoplites are frankly better than any other infantry I can get without the pain of colonizing. The high AORs can be useful if they help fill a weak point in your factions lineup.

"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." -Alexander the Great.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

Dime i just noticed that the guys from Invasio Barbarorum have managed to increase the number of religions to 5... So is it possible to have more cultures based on religion then?

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Kara Kolyo: We experimented with extra religions way back when we first looked at the idea of adding the religion mechanism. The extra religions had no effect on population unrest - in other words they didn't really function. Also I seem to remember Zarax saying that they caused other problems. So in the end we decided to stick with just three. If the EB guys have found a way to make extra religions function correctly I'd be interested though.

Kara Kolyo's Avatar Mikhail

O, ok. It's not EB, it's IBFD that i saw it in

under the patronage of Perikles in the house of Wilpuri
    Proud patron of Cymera