Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conditions to unlock the 9 special units

Gonxas's Avatar Decanus

Default Conditions to unlock the 9 special units

I know that they've been posted before, but with so many threads about special forces it's impossible to find that.
    Can someone re-post the conditions to unlock the special units?
    Cheers

Default Re: Conditions to unlock the 9 special units

are these the special units apart of the special forces edition or is it a totally different set of units that can be unlocked in the game??

i think that once the game is loaded, you put in the confermation code that you got on the STEAM check out page or whatever(hopefully you wrote it down), or in the boxed copy

I can never find the time to finish my AARs, damn you life getting in the way all the time.

isnt there unlockable special units that the Pre Order units are apart of? I thought I heard the Constiution and the Dahoney Amazons for example are in the normal game, just you have to unlock them.

they are, they're also in the SF edition
    My named ships in Empire Total War: (that i can remember)

Fifth Rate, HMS Poseidon.

Fifth Rate, HMS Dauntless.

Fifth Rate, HMS Enterprise NCC-1701

Fifth Rate, HMS Simi.

------
    "Ya best start believing in ghost stories Miss Turner. You're IN one!"

So wait, is it possible for me to unlock say the Death Head's Hussars without pre-ordering it?

Arent thay all available for custom and online but not during the campaign?....I am getting tired of these marketing strategies paying for virtual items....

Senator

from what i read you can get 6 special units only by ordering the SF edition or Collectors edition.
    with the other 3 units i thought you could only get one out of the three when you pre ordered the SF edition or Collectors edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Thescorpionx View Post
    Arent thay all available for custom and online but not during the campaign?....I am getting tired of these marketing strategies paying for virtual items....
    They are only available for campaign I believe. Not sure about custom but definatly not multiplayer.
    Long live the British Empire

Attatch bayonets and charge!

Quote Originally Posted by Royal_Scots View Post
    They are only available for campaign I believe. Not sure about custom but definatly not multiplayer.
    Wrong.

Source.

Decanus

Then these units will actually be in every game, just locked in nomal edition?
    Catch you on the flip side.

Quote Originally Posted by GaMMwl View Post
    Then these units will actually be in every game, just locked in nomal edition?
    I would imagine so, yes (since you'll need the actual files to display the units if playing against someone with the Special Forces edition).

To elaborate a bit on the thread in general, as i've understood things, the pre-order units (Dahomey Amazons, Death's Head Hussars, etc) are all normal units in the game, the difference is that with the unlock code, you skip the techtree and get them right away.

The Special Forces edition units (HMS Victory, Organ Gun, etc) are all exclusive to the SF edition, and will not be available for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    are these the special units apart of the special forces edition or is it a totally different set of units that can be unlocked in the game??
    You will get a separate code card, that unlocks them, once you enter into steam. They will be usable in multiplayer and singleplayer, with no problems and are balanced, I remember one of the devs responding to someone concerned that the Special Forces were too strong in multiplayer, he replied (paraphrasing here) "They will cost a bit more, but the multiplayer aspect of those units are balanced". Hope this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiko88 View Post
    I remember one of the devs responding to someone concerned that the Special Forces were too strong in multiplayer, he replied (paraphrasing here) "They will cost a bit more, but the multiplayer aspect of those units are balanced". Hope this helped.
    Quote from Sensei's post in regards to SF units being available in multiplayer :

"All of the units are balanced so you have to pay more 'points' to field more powerful units in battles. There will of course be other, just-as-powerful units available to those players without the exclusive units."

Quote Originally Posted by PlacidDragon View Post
    Quote from Sensei's post in regards to SF units being available in multiplayer :

"All of the units are balanced so you have to pay more 'points' to field more powerful units in battles. There will of course be other, just-as-powerful units available to those players without the exclusive units."
    Yup, that's the one, hopefully this cleared it up even more.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by PlacidDragon View Post
    To elaborate a bit on the thread in general, as i've understood things, the pre-order units (Dahomey Amazons, Death's Head Hussars, etc) are all normal units in the game, the difference is that with the unlock code, you skip the techtree and get them right away.
    Are you sure about that? Seems like a potentially unbalancing move and is certainly not historical. And if people are going to throw fits about the way the game handles the American colonies, I can't imagine they would sit back and ignore the special units if you get them in 1700.

I guess I've always assumed that the special units are faction specific (i.e. you won't see them unless you play as the faction they are historically associated with) and that they are basically one shot special versions of a generic unit type that you would have access too once you met the tech requirements. So for example once you could build the roughly equivalent generic frigate as the US you can either build or you receive the USS Constitution. I mean, how many Constitutions should you be able to have in your fleet? How many Deaths Head Hussar units? And so on.

Elyrioth's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Pandarancher View Post
    So wait, is it possible for me to unlock say the Death Head's Hussars without pre-ordering it?
    No they are not. They are as the name suggests exclusive.
    People saw the post that stated this:
    All of the units are balanced so you have to pay more 'points' to field more powerful units in battles. There will of course be other, just-as-powerful units available to those players without the exclusive units.
    Which of course DOES not say they are in thegame by default.
    The only way to get the 3 Pre-order units is to pre-order and get the exclusive unlock code. even then it is only possible to get 1 of them.

In Multiplayer the units are available from the start when you use the exclusive code. As per the steam FAQ they will only be available in Single player after you unlock AND reach a certain technology level.

All the details for unlocking etc are on the ETW website under the steam FAQ.
    Last edited by Elyrioth; March 02, 2009 at 03:47 AM.

i'm more affraid that we will have more different version of game with different units, so any modding will be quite messy - moders will had to make all kind of versions of their mod to suit every game version....

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Elyrioth View Post
    No they are not. They are as the name suggests exclusive.
    All the details for unlocking etc are on the ETW website under the steam FAQ.
    Thanks. That FAQ lays it all out pretty clearly. And as I suspected, the special units are singular, faction specific in some cases, and conditional based on various factors, some of which include sufficient tech levels.

Gonxas's Avatar Decanus

I remember of a thread where it says for example. Ghoorkas you need to control a region in India and have a technology and so on.. Can someone post the entire list please?
    Cheers

PS-And please don't spam, just answer if you know something about the conditions to unlock the units.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast