Thread: Garrison Script

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Icon5 Garrison Script

Campaign's going well after I returned and I just laid siege to Taras last turn and Syracusa the current one. I must have screwed up the script though, because I'm confused. I'm presuming these armies are supposed to spawn spontaneously and as full stacks. I don't think my tactics had anything to do with it if it's coded to happen. (I hid in the trees halfway, then marched up to attack Taras, and I naval invaded Syracusa.) I've always clicked the "show me how" after starting the game. I also just tried exiting the game, launching it, starting a new campaign with scripts, and immediately marching near, then sieging Syracusa. Still nothing. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? Even on suicidal VH/VH, I'll be really disappointed without spawned garrisons! I was looking forward to that feature the most!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by KittySN; March 07, 2009 at 12:45 AM.

Default Re: Garrison Script

Sometimes this happened to me as well. I have no idea why ... what I did when this happened though was to keep sieging it for one or two turns and then the armies were spawned.

If this does not work then the script is not activated.

Keep in mind to follow the script activating instructions to the letter. One thing I did wrong in the beginning was to click the script more than once after loading a save game. That will could make it not work.

Hope this helps

Sulla

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Yup, it much seems your script is not working. Although have to admit, happened to me as well with script on. Easiest way to checking if script is working is to see how many turns you get per year

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Drat. So I guess my game is screwed up and I have to start over? Sigh. Maybe I'll just keep playing without it. I really don't feel like fighting Gaul twice, Carthage three times and Greek once to be able to siege these cities again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Publius Sulla
    Keep in mind to follow the script activating instructions to the letter.
    Just to clarify. Any time starting the game: Esc, "?" and "show me how"... right, even though the advisor talks about some other stuff when I click the question mark? Then "X" her, Esc back to game. And I know at the beginning, the advisor pops up automatically to remind me about the scripts. I still follow the same process, ignoring this notification.
    Quote Originally Posted by czePowerslave
    Easiest way to checking if script is working is to see how many turns you get per year
    I guess you get 3 turns per year instead of four?

You get four turns per year. 3 Summers and a Winter. (Think Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter)

You know, it might be that the script only kicks in when the garrison is below a certain size. Because I've run into the same thing, but I've got 4 Turns Per Year working perfectly.

I have yet to attack a city that's [initially] poorly defended, so, to my mind, I haven't had a situation where the garrison script applies.

Perhaps the mighty designer might comment on this?

Calling LT...Calling LT...clean up on aisle 7!

Civis

I think the full garrison does not always spawn in 1 turn.

I seldomly attack in siege (I just hate the pathfinding issues in cities....), so I maintain a siege for sometimes 5 to 7 turns, starving the ennemy.

Sometimes, a full garrison spawns immediatly, sometimes, just 4 units spawns every turn, it depends.

Either that or my script is broken too, but I rather think it is in the coding...

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

I think Lt only can properly ask the thing in question here.

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

I think this depends on the current population of the city aswell... AI usually drains cities of population to bolster their armies, and sometimes theres not enough for a garrison too.

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ejergard View Post
    I think this depends on the current population of the city aswell... AI usually drains cities of population to bolster their armies, and sometimes theres not enough for a garrison too.
    There was enough: I checked that first. Then I looked up the script in the Data files and they should "spawn" regardless.
    Last edited by KittySN; March 09, 2009 at 04:01 PM.

Basically it MAY have spawned already once, and if it did it wont do it again for a while. I have no idea the exacts of why it does this but its part of the feature so it doesnt Spawn Endless armies for the AI. lol So if its done it once then its done, when the city is another level it will even spawn more units and better quality ones also.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

I think I found the bug when I changed the Name of the settlement, I didnt change the name in the script, hence instead of Capua it should be Capua (Legion$$$) etc.

ALL 28 of the cities need to have the name changed in the script to fix the problem, so all the legion name province dont produce garrisons.
    Lt_1956

Ah that explains it. Can this be changed in mid campaign?

The settlement names not.

The names referred to in the script I am not sure.

Yes if I can get the program I need when I fix the script it would have NO effect on saved games. Main problem is I lost DATA a while back on my RTW stuff among others and to my stupidity the only backup I had was back in 2005 late, which means I lost some important programs which help me to make the script.

Lt
    Lt_1956

That sucks.

Not your diligence, but your loss of data. The data loss sucks.

Yes it does, as there were many Skins/models that were never added to SPQR that never will be again. :-( Anyway SPQR is done, I just wish I caught the mistake of the changed names on the settlements, thats why you cant change them in the game, if you do you lose the garrison script for them. I should have known when I changed the names to add legio ### I should have changed the script. Just didnt notice. But then alot of the Close Legion provinces have garrisons already in them because of their locations. Still I want to fix the problem if I can get the program.
    Lt_1956

GOOD News, the garrisons work, I retested to see if there is a problem and there isnt. Since I didnt change the names in the game file it will not effect the script. As to why that one province didnt produce a garrison is beyond me, as I just tested it and it produced in all the provinces.

So that error or Bug doesnt exist so SPQR is Safe and basically still bug free. lol

Enjoy, no fix is needed.
    Lt_1956

KittySN's Avatar Senator

Yes, I noticed the garrisons worked too, just not on the same turn. I played through the beginning 3 times so far, and both my Taras and Syracusa attacks landed on turn 6 during the first 2 games. Frustrated, I attacked more hastily during turn 5 and... *poof* ...GARRISONS! HOORAY! I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm happy I "earned" those 2 provinces this time.