Thread: Is LT planning on making SPQR with Empires engine?

Default Is LT planning on making SPQR with Empires engine?

I was wondering, because Romes time period I find the most fascinating and LT is the man!

SO a mod from him coming using empire would be considered an upgrade?

EDIT: Sry I messed up Thread name I know its SPQR. lol
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; March 09, 2009 at 04:01 PM. Reason: EDIT: Sry I messed up Thread nae I know its SPQR. lol

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Is LT planning on making SPQR with Emires engine?

I don' t think he is planning on making a SPQR mod for Empires as it is a lot of work for the team to start making every thing over again. Re making 3D moddels, skins and a lot of re writing of txt files is a lot of work.

It might even not be possible to use the empire game for such a time period as thy used a lot of new things in the game.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

No, I have no plans and to be honest I doubt its possible. while I would LOVE to add navel battles into the game like it should have been with RTW, I just dont think its possible, also I do NOT like the STEAM application they are using, I tolerated it with HL2, but I seriously doubt I will buy another CA product because of use of STEAM.

Anyway Empire seems to be badly buggy, and doesnt add too much to the genre except better graphics and forcing people to use steam for a game they legally bought.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Why no love for Steam? I run Rome (and subsequently SPQR) thru steam and everything's peachy. Does she cause ye troubles?

To be fair, I have been running steam since Valve launched it six years ago.

I used to play some halflife modifications before steam entered the arena, and got mad when Steam appeared, resisted it for a long time, but when I finally got it, it was alright. Not great, but alright, nice browser features etc aswell.
    But for singleplayer games i prefer to run them as "clean" as possible, without any unecessary programs in the background...

That bugged me for a couple of weeks, and then I realized that steam is so negligble in terms of resource consumption that I could offset it easily by just ending any useless processes I could find. Even now steam only uses about 10Mb of RAM.

Not trying to be a fanboy. It's just that I hear so much ing about Steam, and it seems like most of it arises from the fact that it changes the way we play games a little.

Also, can't prove this, but some folks (you guys not included here) seem to have a little bit of a Big Brother paranoia about it.

I love Steam because I never have to worry about corrupting or breaking my media again. If the game breaks, I just go online and redownload it. Plus the insta-patching is soooooo awesome when the devs get how to use it.

EDIT: looks like I just found the swear filter. Oops!

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

sorry stupid question but not having brought many new games (poor com) but what is steam?

Steam is a digital distribution/game management/multiplayer management program made by Valve.

You download Steam, install it, and through it you can buy games to download to your computer. If said games are multiplayer games, Steam eases the issue of finding servers to play on. It's like an e-grand central station for your multiplayer gaming. It also allows for automatic distribution of patches and fixes. Say, for example, LT wanted to upgrade us from 7.0 to 7.1. Assume for a second that he was making changes that didn't force us to restart the campaign. If he had SPQR distributed through steam, he could have updates distributed through them as well. So if he made a small change and sent it out, Steam would know you ran SPQR, grab the update and install it, without it being necessary for you to participate. You'd just be able to read the change log when the install happened.

The complaints come (especially for E:TW) because sometimes there are glitches in distribution, sometimes Steam can get confused about what it's trying to do with a program, and (here's the big complaint most people have) when you download a game via Steam, steam needs to be running to run the game. You can still set up shortcuts to your game (say, again, SPQR) on the desktop, but when you click that shortcut, it opens steam and steam runs the game. It's the "trade off" for having a digital distribution system that lets you download games, have the backup copy permanently available on the internet, automatically receive updates, and play multiplayer games with ridiculous ease.

I put "trade off" in quotes, because it's really not a good vs. bad scenario. It's just like somebody said earlier, some folks really don't like the idea of not running their games "clean" i.e. not having anything running in the background.

But, like I said, Steam is a 10Mb process, and when it gets things right (which is most of the time without your notice) it's sooo worth the occansional riot because 50,000 people want to download their game on the same day and somehow the distribution process gets hosed.

Think of it like a freeway. It's fantastic to go 65 mph with no stoplights, and that's how it usually is. Every once in awhile, you get an accident or a traffic jam, and it sucks. It's not the freeways fault.

Steam Powered.

EDIT: Like I said above: I Downloaded Rome through steam, and I installed and play SPQR just like anybody that went and got the box and the discs. The file paths are just different.

Indefinitely Banned

for me i have steam and it really is annoying, they should release a different version like before, a steam one and a clean one :hmmm:

Well, they have, no?

Just go to the store or to amazon and order the box.

Honestly, though, it's best to just get used to it. You'll get patches and fixes way easier, and if you're not sitting there waiting for Steam to have problems so you can go, "I told you Steam sucks!" You won't even notice.

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Is LT planning on making SPQR with Empires engine?

how about for R2TW?
    Last edited by Finch; March 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM.

yay, installed ETW and Steam and my computer started to act weird all of a sudden ... The game itself is something of the most laggy and buggy I have ever experienced ... I do have the specs for it. Did not take me long to uninstall the d**n thing
    Last edited by S u l l a; March 22, 2009 at 06:48 AM.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Divus View Post
    how about for R2TW?
    the RTW2 that has been rumoured to be in creation for quite some time and has never been confirmed by the creative assembly....

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

It is more rumoured by people who would like to see a R2TW. But with empires i don' t think thy will make a R2TW. The amount of cities has been reduced a lot.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Samariten's Avatar Senator

I think that they will make RTW2 after the released one expansion for ETW. Cant see any other timeline to pick for their next game.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Samariten View Post
    I think that they will make RTW2 after the released one expansion for ETW. Cant see any other timeline to pick for their next game.
    i'm not so sure i agree there are alot of good periods to pick, i'd like to see a return to some of the asian conflicts - china in the period of the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms is very intesesting and provides enough variety between troops not to be overly boring, or india in the arya/medieval periods (Medieval India) - however the creative assembly making one of these periods is a different matter - except for shogun they seem fixated with europe

mind you there's little point in me getting excited my computer has no chance of running any new game they release RTW2 or otherwise
    Last edited by Raglan; March 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM.

Samariten's Avatar Senator

I would love to see Shogun total war 2 with china and minor asia included but as you said they seem fixated of europe.

Rammstein's Avatar Templar Knight

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956 View Post
    No, I have no plans and to be honest I doubt its possible. while I would LOVE to add navel battles into the game like it should have been with RTW, I just dont think its possible, also I do NOT like the STEAM application they are using, I tolerated it with HL2, but I seriously doubt I will buy another CA product because of use of STEAM.

Anyway Empire seems to be badly buggy, and doesnt add too much to the genre except better graphics and forcing people to use steam for a game they legally bought.
    Modding ETW is as easy as ever (will become even easier), you are right about naval battles, I think they are impossible to make for a Rome Mod. Steam is not hurting Modding at all, but empire is buggy as hell and AI doesnt seem that great either.