Thread: Non-Destructible buildings

Civis

Default Non-Destructible buildings

Hi there, SPQR Generals.

I have a couple of questions concerning non-destructible buildings in ennemy cities you take, that is to know palaces, farms, roads, walls and mines.
    From what I noticed so far, only palaces in the above list would bring culture penalties on happinness.
    I am about to attack Athen soon, and here the greeks already made their ultimate palace, the Royal Palace.

So basically, will this building cause permanent unhappinness to Athen, since I guess I won't be able to upgrade it and change it by a Roman building?
    And also, is there any way to destroy it, like by exterminating the population (does it also destroy all buildings ? I always enslaved towns up to now...) or by any other ways ?

I'd like to know before I took the city, cause I wouldn't like to have to load a previous game and redo the fight if ever take the wrong option

Default Re: Non-Destructible buildings

Hmm, that is a bit of a pickle. I don't know the answer to the permanent penalty question...

However, as far as destroying it:
    Perhaps you could bring some onagers to the fight, and have them attack the Palace (or something nearby) with flaming ammo, thus burning it down.

Raglan's Avatar ~~~

most culture specific buildings are destroyable (ie temples) and should be destroyed as they give negative bonus's. However some buildings - notably farm land and palace's - can't be destroyed, which can be a problem when that is the highest level possible - although i'm not sure as to wether or not they give culture penalties

Civis

Well, from what I noticed so far in my campaign, farms and walls do not bring culture penalties.

If ever I destroy the palace as Saienga proposed, bringing onagers during the siege, does anybody know what will happen ?
    I mean, the palace cannot simply be destroyed, since a town need at least the first level of palace to exist (something like a Governor's house I think) ? So will it be downgraded to the next lower level ? Or to the lowest level ? Or will the game CTD ?
    If anybody already tried, any insight would be much appreciated ...

Otherwise, I guess I will just have to test by myself...

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

The non destructible buildings don' t give penalties to you.

The once you should destroy for sure are temples, taverns, ... if you right click them you will see some thing like -25% to happiness and so on.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gauliez View Post
    Well, from what I noticed so far in my campaign, farms and walls do not bring culture penalties.

If ever I destroy the palace as Saienga proposed, bringing onagers during the siege, does anybody know what will happen ?
    I mean, the palace cannot simply be destroyed, since a town need at least the first level of palace to exist (something like a Governor's house I think) ? So will it be downgraded to the next lower level ? Or to the lowest level ? Or will the game CTD ?
    If anybody already tried, any insight would be much appreciated ...

Otherwise, I guess I will just have to test by myself...
    Its not whiped off if destroyed you just can't use its recrutments.

Civis

After checking in my game, palaces DO give culture penalties as shown in below screenshots.

With the "palace" from the Gauls (High King Hall), the town gets a 30% malus that disappeared the turn I built the Roman Palace.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

So far, what I found on this topic is that:
    - foreign palaces bring a 30% malus
    - Stone walls bring a 5% malus
    - Farms do not bring any malus, so does smaller walls

So concerning my problem with Athen, right now I don't see any way around it. I apparently cannot destroy the palace during the siege battle, just damage it to 100% according to War Lord, and exterminating population does not affect the buildings.
    If anyone gets another idea, I would be more than happy to test it. Otherwise, I guess I will just have to live with it. Well, it might in fact sound logical that Greek culture will never completely leave Athen.
    Last edited by Gauliez; March 17, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

Don't forget that you will capture some wonders while conquering Greece, this will help keeping public order in your favor!