Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Moral Codes before the 10 commandments?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: Moral Codes before the 10 commandments?

As per usual what people writing about Jesus say he said and for a non Jewish audience.

So, what's different about, " Thou shalt have no other Gods before Me."? Anyone who knows English will have no difficulty in understanding that both mean the same especially if one does love God unless of course the objective is just to nitpick like you. The thing is ole fella, heaven and earth will pass away as will you but Jesus' words will never pass away.
    They are rather different statements in both tone and meaning actually. And you keep ignoring how slavery will make the world a better place.
    Last edited by conon394; April 06, 2023 at 02:12 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Opps

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

basics's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    As per usual what people writing about Jesus say he said and for a non Jewish audience.

They are rather different statements in both tone and meaning actually. And you keep ignoring how slavery will make the world a better place.
    conon394,

Where did I even suggest that slavery would make the world a better place?

You claimed the Ten commandments would make the world a better place the ten commandments explicitly approve of slavery. Ergo you feel it would make the world a better place (post #29 for example) - slavery that is.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    You claimed the Ten commandments would make the world a better place the ten commandments explicitly approve of slavery. Ergo you feel it would make the world a better place (post #29 for example) - slavery that is.
    conon394,

Where does it say in the Ten Commandments that God approves of slavery?

Exodus 20:17 when not watered down in translation to avoid the fact of clearly accepting slavery. And of the NT is full of clear references to accepted slavery. For example Jesus parable of reckless financial management in Matthew 25:14-30 and slaves called oh so nicely servants in your favorite bible (and yes Koine Greek did have terms for hired men/women and it was not Doulos)
    Last edited by conon394; April 08, 2023 at 05:27 PM.

conon394,

Ex 20:17 " You shall not covet your neighbour's house. You shall not covet your neighbour's wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbour. ' Mathew 20:14-30, not one word about slavery and the same in Exodus.

Are you saying that servants were actually slaves? Boy am I glad that I'm not one of your kids hearing your interpretation when reading them stories.

You are quoting a translation that is willfully altering the clear meaning of the original text. Just as many translations of the NT do with say the Mathew passage I cited. Exodus 20:17 uses the same words as Leviticus 25:44 You might use bondmen at best and to cover Jews in debt slavery who have better rules but the word also clearly included foreign slaves bought and paid for. But servant is a poor and misleading translation. No the context of the passage is coveting the neighbors property that would people as slaves not as servants.

Are you saying that servants were actually slaves?
    That's what the text says in it original language. Sorry THE the KJV may be pretty but it is inaccurate.

Boy am I glad that I'm not one of your kids hearing your interpretation when reading them stories.
    Err I am because they had to learn Latin and Koine Greek with me. And use an interlinear OT with annotation for referencing the OT.
    Last edited by conon394; April 10, 2023 at 03:24 PM.

conon394,

And yet you still don't believe that Jesus Christ is God nor that as a sinner you could end up in hell?

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    conon394,

And yet you still don't believe that Jesus Christ is God nor that as a sinner you could end up in hell?
    That is a complete non sequitur of an answer to my post above.

On your question I think you know the answer. It clear I find the Bible an unconvincing mishmash and centered around a vengeful capricious god that I can muster no particular desire to worships. And when you add that is creation myth is not remotely credible in the face of scientific data well...

But pact to the point how do you see slavery making the world a better place? Or I suppose it worth adding Jericho and just one example of god loving him some genocide.
    Last edited by conon394; April 10, 2023 at 03:23 PM.

conon394,

God may allow slavery but He does not approve of it, why? Because it is wrong, simple and clear. Fallen man brought about all the indecencies that are in the world and slavery in all its forms are but one. As for our existence where is the proof that we are more than six thousand years old?

conon394,

God may allow slavery but He does not approve of it, why? Because it is wrong, simple and clear. Fallen man brought about all the indecencies that are in the world and slavery in all its forms are but one. As for our existence where is the proof that we are more than six thousand years old?
    That is an extremely illogical mass of statements.

God may allow slavery but He does not approve of it, why? Because it is wrong, simple and clear.
    The Bible clearly contradicts you. If it is wrong and god does not approve of it (slavery) he according to you had a opportunity while dictating to Moses to you say that he did so and thus eliminate it from the law. He did not. His silence and actual putting in his expressed basic law shows approval. Similarly the NT clearly accepts slavery thus it is effectively condoning it.

Fallen man brought about all the indecencies that are in the world
    Well technically God did in your understanding of the OT.

As for our existence where is the proof that we are more than six thousand years old?
    This is drifting OT and of course we have been around and around on this one before you will accept no evidence that contradicts the bible *and more particularly your chosen version and understanding of said document) and to rake through biblical poetry for inaccurate interpretations to supply apology for factual inaccuracies. So its a pointless argument. But I will toss something you will ignore. Let see Noah is what about 2000 years after adam by your reckoning? There is no evidence for an unprecedented genetic bottle neck in humans and all terrestrial mammals 4000 years ago (*). Continuous ice cores go back well over 100,000 years and up to around 800,000 years. There I tossed in an extra.

* compare Cheetahs have detectable genetic bottle necks at around 100,000 and 11,000 years ago

https://education.nationalgeographic...ic-bottleneck/
    Last edited by conon394; April 11, 2023 at 07:35 AM.

conon394,

No, the Bible does not contradict me at all. Death and destruction came by the fall of Adam and Eve and it affected all creation. As God saw Noah as being righteous He decided to save him and his family plus certain beasts, birds, sea creatures and plantlife from a deluge that would see of everything else which He did. Unfortunately the sin problem raised itself again through one of Noah's sons and rapidly spread as their numbers increased. Now that is what is written so how is it illogical?

As for slavery, was it not true that the Israelites were slaves in Egypt? Did God not get Moses to bring them out of slavery and give them Ten Rules to follow in which it did not tell them to take slaves of anyone?

Now as for the timing of our creation it is quite clear that this can be worked out from Jewish geneology. God made this planet to be up and running and so it was so that we could live on it immediately. He made everything to its kind and nothing has changed.

No, the Bible does not contradict me at all. Death and destruction came by the fall of Adam and Eve and it affected all creation

Umm but you said everything was preordained by god. So it was his fault.

As for slavery, was it not true that the Israelites were slaves in Egypt?
    No real evidence of such

Did God not get Moses to bring them out of slavery and give them Ten Rules to follow in which it did not tell them to take slaves of anyone?
    Again by normalizing it he did effectively does just affirm slavery as a thing and a good and legal thing.

Now as for the timing of our creation it is quite clear that this can be worked out from Jewish geneology.
    Which of course as noted is contradicted by all available evidence and is just one people's mythical genealogy and no more credible than any other such and there are lots. The Sumerian King lists presents a quite older world.

God made this planet to be up and running and so it was so that we could live on it immediately. He made everything to its kind and nothing has changed.
    That in address either point I raised. It certainly fails to address why everything that could have been on you mythical ship does not have a consistent genetic bottle neck at 4000 years or so BP. Nor why humans don't have a second profound one just 2000 year before that. These a discernable facts.
    Last edited by conon394; April 12, 2023 at 09:50 PM.

conon394,

You still can't see it or perhaps don't want to see it but everything in the Bible has already been played out in God's time, our time being different and it will all be verified when the Lord Jesus Christ comes back to finalise all things. If it weren't so how come all the prophecies came true about Jesus and His own prophecies are being played out and will be played out until He does return?

conon394,

You still can't see it or perhaps don't want to see it but everything in the Bible has already been played out in God's time, our time being different and it will all be verified when the Lord Jesus Christ comes back to finalise all things. If it weren't so how come all the prophecies came true about Jesus and His own prophecies are being played out and will be played out until He does return?
    That is not really an answer.

If it weren't so how come all the prophecies came true about Jesus
    Paul's were quite wrong.

Daniel also lot mistakes there. Other Biblical prophecies is so vague and or obvious you fit to almost sort of vaguely similar event. So you make up like incorrect reading of the seed. Some just mining the more poetical passages of the bible and can easily declared fulfilled by NT authors.

You still can't see it or perhaps don't want to see it but everything in the Bible has already been played out in God's time, our time being different
    That in no way address the evidence that the OT is literarily incorrect.

conon394,

How were Paul's wrong? How are Daniel's wrong too? The ones concerning Jesus came true and His own are listed below,

Quote, "

Yes. Jesus not only fulfilled prophecy in His own life, He Himself predicted events that were to come to pass some time in the future. One of the ministries of Jesus was that of a prophet. As has been true with prophecies fulfilled in His own life, His prophetic words have been literally and marvelously fulfilled.

We are going to look at a number of specific predictions that Jesus made as well as their fulfillment.

Prediction 1: His Words Would Be Everlasting

Jesus made the astounding prediction that "heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will by no means pass away" (Matthew 24:35). He predicted that His words would be everlasting.

An Amazing Prophecy By Jesus

We need to appreciate the amazing nature of this prophecy. Here was a man who lived in the first century A.D. with only a small group of followers, and His country was subject to the bondage of Rome. There were no modern means of mass communication or storage of a persons words, Yet Jesus made the statement that His words were eternal - they will never pass away. Although it seemed improbable at the time, it has occurred exactly as He predicted. The words of Jesus are still with us today, read and believed by untold millions. It has happened just as He said.

Prediction 2: The Story Of Mary Of Bethany

Mary of Bethany poured oil on the body of Jesus in anticipation of His coming death. The disciples rebuked her for wasting the oil, but Jesus said she had done a good thing.

Why do you trouble the woman? For she has done a good work for me. For the poor you have with you always; but you do not always have me. For when she poured this perfume upon my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be told as a memorial to her (Matthew 26:11-13).

Jesus predicted that her story would be told wherever the gospel was preached. As He predicted, the story of Mary of Bethany, and her anointing of Jesus before His death, is still told today wherever the gospel is preached. The fact that you are reading about it right now continues to fulfill Jesus' prophecy.

Prediction 3: His Own Betrayal By One Of His Disciples

He also predicted that He would be betrayed by one of His own disciples.

And as they were eating, he said, "Truly I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me." And they were exceeding sorrowful, and began to say unto him every one, "Is it I, Lord?" (Matthew 26:21, 22).

This was literally fulfilled by Judas Iscariot.

While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, but Jesus asked him, "Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?" (Luke 22:47,48).

Prediction 4: All Of His Disciples Would Leave Him

Jesus predicted that all His disciples would leave Him when He was betrayed.

Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: 'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.' But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee" (Matthew 26:31,32).

This was literally fulfilled when Jesus was arrested.

Then all the disciples deserted him and fled (Matthew 26:56).

Prediction 5: Peter Would Deny Him Three Times

Jesus also predicted that Peter would deny knowing Him three times.

Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will." "I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "This very night, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times" (Matthew 26:33,34).

As Jesus had predicted this was literally fulfilled.

Then he began to call down curses on himself and he swore to them, "I don't know the man!" Immediately a rooster crowed. Then Peter remembered the word Jesus had spoken: "Before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times." And he went outside and wept bitterly (Matthew 26:74,75).

Prediction 6: He Would Suffer Because Of The Religious Rulers

He would suffer as a result of the religious rulers.

From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes (Matthew 16:21).

On the night of His arrest the religious rulers allowed Him to be beaten.

The men who were guarding Jesus began mocking and beating him. They blindfolded him and demanded, "Prophesy! Who hit you?" And they said many other insulting things to him (Luke 22:63-65).

Prediction 7: He Would Die In Jerusalem

Although attempts had been made on His life outside of Jerusalem, Jesus predicted that His death must take place there.

From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed (Matthew 16:21).

Jesus died in the city of Jerusalem.

Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joses, and Salome. In Galilee these women had followed him and cared for his needs. Many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem were also there (Mark 15:40,41).

Prediction 8: He Would Die By Crucifixion

Jesus predicted the exact manner of His death - crucifixion.

You know that after two days is the Passover, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified (Matthew 26:2).

Jesus died by crucifixion

It was the third hour when they crucified him. The written notice of the charge against him read: THE KING OF THE JEWS. (Mark 15:26,27).

Prediction 9: He Would Die During The Passover

Jesus also predicted His death would occur during the Passover celebration, and it would be by means of crucifixion.

You know that after two days is the Passover, and the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified (Matthew 26:2).

As He predicted His death took place at the Passover.

It was the day of Preparation of Passover Week, about the sixth hour. "Here is your king," Pilate said to the Jews. But they shouted, "Take him away! Take him away! Crucify him!" "Shall I crucify your king?" Pilate asked. "We have no king but Caesar," the chief priests answered. Finally Pilate handed him over to them to be crucified (John 19:14-16).

Prediction 10: His Resurrection From The Dead On The Third Day

Jesus also predicted His resurrection from the dead. He said it would happen exactly three days after His death.

The Jews then said to him, "What sign do you show us as your authority for doing these things?" Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews then said, "It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will you raise it up in three days?" But he was speaking of the temple of his body. So when he was raised from the dead, his disciples remembered that he said this; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken (John 2:18-22).

Jesus predicted His resurrection.

From that time Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised up on the third day (Matthew 16:21).

After Jesus' crucifixion the people remembered Jesus' prophecy.

On the next day, which followed the Day of Preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees gathered together to Pilate, saying, Sir, we remember, while he was still alive, how that deceiver said, 'After three days I will rise' (Matthew 27:62,63).

The chief priests and the scribes were the ones who arrested Jesus and brought Him to Pilate for execution. Yet three days after His crucifixion, Jesus was alive again. The angel at His tomb on that first Easter made it clear to those who arrived:

He is not here; for he is risen, as he said (Matthew 28:6).

Jesus was crucified on Good Friday and came back from the dead on Easter Sunday morning - three days by Jewish reckoning. Again, His predictions were literally fulfilled.

Prediction 11: The Coming Of The Holy Spirit

Jesus predicted the coming of the Holy Spirit.

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you (John 14:26).

This was fulfilled on the Day of Pentecost.

When the day of Pentecost had come, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a noise like a violent rushing wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. And there appeared to them tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit was giving them utterance (Acts 2:1-4).

Prediction 12: The Destruction Of The City Of Jerusalem Within One Generation

After the Jewish nation rejected Jesus, He pronounced judgment upon them. Jesus predicted that the city of Jerusalem would be destroyed. Forty years before it occurred, Jesus gave specifics to its destruction:

For the days will come upon you when your enemies will build an embankment around you, surround you and close you in on every side, and level you, and your children within you, to the ground (Luke 19:43,44).

Jesus predicted Jerusalem would be surrounded

But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation is near (Luke 21:20).

These Events Would Occur In The Same Generation

These events would occur in the same generation that Jesus was speaking.

Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place (Matthew 24:34).

At the time when Jesus made this prediction, there was no imminent threat to the city of Jerusalem. However, in A.D. 70, as Jesus had predicted, the city of Jerusalem was surrounded and destroyed by Titus the Roman. The reason Jesus gave for the fall of the city was the peoples' rejection of Him as Messiah, "because you did not know the time of your visitation" (Luke 19:44).

Prediction 13: The Temple In Jerusalem Would Be Destroyed

Another prediction of Jesus that was literally fulfilled concerns the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem. Jesus specified the manner of its destruction.

Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and his disciples came to him to show Him the buildings of the temple. And Jesus said to them, 'Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down' (Matthew 24:1,2).

Same Generation

As was true with the city of Jerusalem, these events would occur in the same generation that Jesus was speaking.

Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place (Matthew 24:34).

This happened exactly as predicted. When Titus the Roman destroyed the city of Jerusalem in A.D. 70, he also destroyed the temple.

Prediction 14: The People Would Be Scattered

When Jesus predicted the destruction of the city of Jerusalem and the temple, He made clear the fate that awaited the Jewish people. The people will be scattered from their land and taken captive by other nations.

And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled (Luke 21:24).

This occurred just as He had predicted. When the city and temple were destroyed, the people were scattered to the ends of the earth. Those who were not killed when the city was captured, were sold into slavery.

Prediction 15: The Holy Land Would Be Ruled By Gentiles

Jesus also predicted the nation Israel would be dominated for a long period of time by the Gentile (non-Jewish) peoples.

And they will fall by the edge of the sword, and be led away captive into all nations. And Jerusalem will be trampled by Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled (Luke 21:24).

The land remained under Gentile domination for two thousand years. Except for a few short years in the second century the Jews had no rule over Jerusalem until 1967. The prediction that the nation would be subject to Gentile rule has been literally fulfilled.

Prediction 16: The Jewish People Would Be Persecuted

The people would not only be scattered, Jesus also predicted that the Jewish race would be persecuted. He said.

Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children. For indeed the days are coming in which they will say, "Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed." Then they will begin to say to the mountains, "Fall on us!" and to the hills, "Cover us!" (Luke 23:28-30).

History records that the Jewish people have gone through terrible persecution as Jesus predicted. From the ghettos of the Middle Ages, to the Holocaust of World War II, the Jews have been a persecuted race, like no other people in history.

Prediction 17: Though Persecuted, The Nation Will Survive

Though scattered and persecuted, Jesus also predicted the Jewish people would not perish. Though the nation was to suffer terribly, Jesus made it clear they will still survive.

They would be persecuted until the times of the Gentiles would be fulfilled. Once this period of Gentile rule was over, the Jews would again have self-rule.

Summary

We find that Jesus not only fulfilled prophecy in His own life, He also made predictions that have been miraculously fulfilled. There are at least seventeen specific predictions that He has made. Each of these predictions has been fulfilled exactly as they were given. They include the following. His words would be everlasting. Jesus predicted that his Words would never be forgotten. He correctly predicted that the story of Mary of Bethany would be preached forever. Jesus said that he would be betrayed. This betrayal would happen by one of his own disciples. He also said that all of the disciples would leave him. He would be by himself. Jesus told Peter that would deny him three times before the rooster crowed. Jesus predicted he would suffer because of the religious rulers. On a number of occasions he predicted his death would occur in Jerusalem. He said that he would die by crucifixion. His death would occur during the feast of the Passover. Death would not hold him for Jesus predicted that he would be raised from the dead. His resurrection would occur the third day after his death. He predicted the coming of the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. Jesus also said that the city of Jerusalem would be destroyed within a generation. The temple in Jerusalem would also be destroyed within one generation. Then the Jewish people would be scattered. While they were scattered, Gentiles would rule the Holy Land. The Jewish people would be persecuted during this time. Finally, Jesus predicted that although persecuted the nation would survive. All of these predictions have been literally fulfilled. This fact demonstrates beyond any doubt that Jesus was indeed a genuine prophet. " unquote.

Are you trying to be rude? You could simply have properly added a citation and not use an unsourced pasted wall of text.

"Did Jesus Make Predictions That Have Come True?"
    blueletterbible.org
    https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_1349.cfm
    BLB Institute
    July7 2014

(per the APA)

Or you could have pasted the opening and then a link if you wanted to be less formal

"Yes. Jesus not only fulfilled prophecy in His own life, He Himself predicted events that were to come to pass some time in the future. One of the ministries of Jesus was that of a prophet. As has been true with prophecies fulfilled in His own life, His prophetic words have been literally and marvelously fulfilled.

We are going to look at a number of specific predictions that Jesus made as well as their fulfillment..."

https://www.blueletterbible.org/faq/...ewart_1349.cfm

-------------

In any case the collection of 17 prediction offered up is weak, misleading and not really that impressive.

Again we a face a fundamental problem we really have no common point of reference. I see a subset of historical religious books written about Jesus by believers for believers, you of course see the inspired word of God. Worse still you assume the authorship ascribed is real rather than appearing long after Jesus died and was quite unknown to Paul or the authors of Clement I. By that I mean in the form it is in the NT as it stands now.

But OK

P1: since the earth and havens have not passed this cannot be counted as a valid prediction. The coda to this is bizarre since it just references the now. Thus Islam and Buddhism are thus equality miraculous as is the knowledge of Homer...

P2: Is bizarrely weak. The Gospels are essentially stories about what supposedly Jesus said and did. For the sake of argument let's allow the people hanging about with him could afford lots of wax tablets, somehow devised effective short hand (sans almost none of them being in the educated generally literate class) or many sans that had eidetic memory. Thus they could later transcribe or dictate to more educated Greek speakers all his saying and doings - why would this one dropped out? I mean realistically one suspects he was Cato like (you know the bit where he ended every speech with Ceterum censeo Carthaginem essedelendam) - I assume Jesus probably appended "Assuredly, I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world" to like everything he thought was teaching moment. Aslo of course the west is still standing so imperfect prophecy.

At this point we need to return to my views on the New Testament. I think the internal evidence dates Paul to ~50 AD. He does not know about the Roman destruction of Jerusalem. And that is also supported by the most likely date of the one ruler he mentions. That but the Gospels were likely compiled after 70 AD (earliest) and likely later in as say John clearly seems to be a reaction to the Synoptic ones. Thus again I don't think anyone involved really met Jesus.

So critically that Jesus suddenly started say and mention the destruction the temple or the Jewish state are well the kind of thing you can easily write after the fact. And early Christians like making stuff up. I mean if the was the 6th century you be believing the letters between Paul and Seneca were real. Just as you know you don't also read the gospel of Mary because somebody decided for you it was not real but a lat fabrication.

That brings us to P12 -17

In general it interesting to keep pointing out "Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened." and gapping most of the foretelling which is after the fall of the temple and has not happened.

Otherwise we just an insertion of facts know to the post war authors. Inserted to say look see the temple fell and soon the rest of the stuff we say jesus said will happen in your lifetime - but it does not.

P3 - P11 are more or less what believers say happened, and represent circular logic. Did Jesus die on Passover I dunno there is no outside reference to the claim or execution date so... the rest all suffer the same. That is some guy a believer in Christianity says jesus this, believer says event happened ergo future predicted. Closed loop. Irrefutable if you believe, unsubstantiated hearsay if you don't

What is lacking is any prediction that is contained in private conversation amounts believers that has outside verification. NOw of anything that people could not write by 100 AD. I mean had Jesus gone out at night with his followers and said have I not said I was with the Father and saw create. See there the that bright star in the constellation the gentiles call Centaurus I tell you now it truly three for I saw the father make them but to your eye they seem but one - that would an impressive display pre knowledge that could not be faked and imbedded in a manuscript from say the 6th century.

Paul - Thessalonians 4:17 He clearly thinks he and audience will be around for the end.

"How are Daniel's wrong too?" - Aside from his hash of Babylonian and Persian History where he can't get rulers right or in the right order. His prophesy about the Ptolemy's and Seleucids is just wrong more less just after when he was writing ~150/60 (claiming to earlier.) But his grasp of his nominal own time is decent and but what what though was going to happen did not.

And I suppose its worth adding the own goal on Egypt in Isaiah 19

---------

You have not addressed the lack of general genetic bottleneck in humans and animals 4000 years ago a radical one in humans 2000 years previous to that.

You still have not addressed how the 10 commandments are a good moral code when they approve of slavery.

If fact we have wondered far afield from your post 29 where the 10 commandments produce wonderful world that allows slavery and approves of it and also given Jericho [Thus of course answering Socrates in the The good is what god loves (potentially capeciacily) and not that god loves the good because it is inherently good] the right of the chosen people to commit genocide. All in all a typical iron age base set of laws for the in group and of course also supplemented buy a lot text in the bible because well you really can't run a state on the the 10.
    Last edited by conon394; April 15, 2023 at 07:59 PM.

conon394,

I am sorrt that my lack of computer knowledge falls short of your standard so that being said copy and paste will remain part of my procedure. Therefore since you don't believe in God as did the writers of the Books of the Bible and therefore don't have the connection that they did why should anyone pay any attention to what you say? There is no doubt that you can rant reams of what you think but in the eyes of any who do know God that's all it is, unknowing rants. The Lord Jesus Christ is coming back and every person who ever lived will have to give an account of their beliefs to Him so what will you have to say when that great day arrives?

I am sorrt that my lack of computer knowledge falls short of your standard so that being said copy and paste will remain part of my procedure.
    So won't acknowledge its impolite to not source the material you do that with? It no great skill if you can cut and paste text you cut and paste a URL.

Therefore since you don't believe in God as did the writers of the Books of the Bible and therefore don't have the connection that they did why should anyone pay any attention to what you say?
    Look this line of posts started with you defending the 10 commandments and therefore asserting slavery would make the world great. Your really have not defended that proposition except trying to dodge it. Or counter with this argument a closed loop - You basics believe a particular type of christianity, you are certain it is the same one that the authors of the NT did nobody can question the bible (and in particular the one in your mind) if they don't so believe, but nobody who so believes would and all that is anchored in your personal internal moment of faith. When people disagree and you ask why you essentially come around to this same declaration. You asked I answered if you don't like answers why ask.

There is no doubt that you can rant reams of what you think but in the eyes of any who do know God that's all it is, unknowing rants
    Again closed loop

The Lord Jesus Christ is coming back and every person who ever lived will have to give an account of their beliefs to Him
    So you say opinions differ.

so what will you have to say when that great day arrives?
    As I said I seriously doubt it. That being said it there is really is one creator omnipotent I find illogical that it would allow only path for its creation to be right with it and and to be judged to have lived a decent life. So I guess I'll find out, I am content with that - but nothing in the bible is compelling such that I think it provides an answer or the particular answer you have found since many did not but also believed

So than you will not be answering any questions on why the bible fails to describe the observable world?
    Last edited by conon394; April 16, 2023 at 11:06 PM.