Thread: Guess where?

Default Re: Guess where?

I cannot get any definitive clue of that and I have exhausted other methods.

To me, this seems very Bavarian. Not sure where exactly, but I would say Bavaria is a good first way to round things down.
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

I have also tried Limburg and Luxembourg and areas around there. Some look very much like it, but none matches.

lolIsuck's Avatar WE HAVE NO CAKE!
    Patrician Citizen took an arrow to the knee

Latitude-wise it is inbetween Limburg and Luxembourg and the source of a tributary of the Rhine is in the town.

So, I am now invested in this riddle, and have been approaching it from an orienteering angle to see if that helps.

From the coloration of the trees, this shot is from early autumn, I'd say. Given that, it must also be from around midday. And that means that the road is on the south side of the village, and the town cuts into the south side of that hill. I still haven't been able to make much use of these facts, but maybe it will help others.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

There seems to be a hilly country with lots of valleys with churches almost identical to that one west of Koblenz, but I haven't found the correct one if it is there indeed. There is some kind of highway right next so that should narrow it down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    So, I am now invested in this riddle, and have been approaching it from an orienteering angle to see if that helps.

From the coloration of the trees, this shot is from early autumn, I'd say. Given that, it must also be from around midday. And that means that the road is on the south side of the village, and the town cuts into the south side of that hill. I still haven't been able to make much use of these facts, but maybe it will help others.
    The picture was taken by me on a daytrip on the 9th of october and the road is on the east of the town. I recognize that it is not easy to see but the town has a burg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrionalis View Post
    There seems to be a hilly country with lots of valleys with churches almost identical to that one west of Koblenz, but I haven't found the correct one if it is there indeed. There is some kind of highway right next so that should narrow it down a bit.
    It is indeed in the Eifel region. Not sure what definition of highway you're using, it's certainly not an Autobahn or anything with ramps to get on and off the road but it is a main road. There is something peculiar going on with the nearby Autobahn though.

I have looked so hard I am probably able to navigate the Eifel region with my eyes closed, but I cannot find a location like that.

After much fuss, and digging through hints, I believe I have it! The east edge of Blankenheim?

(Note that this was not a solo effort; a number of people here (myself, Sept, nhytbefgvecobeghght, Gyrosmeister, and Sir Adrian primarily, but others too) have been banging around ideas in a Discord server we are all a part of. If anyone wants to join over there too, contact Sept or myself.)
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Praefectus

You have spelled my name wrong, Ton11.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    After much fuss, and digging through hints, I believe I have it! The east edge of Blankenheim?

(Note that this was not a solo effort; a number of people here (myself, Sept, nhytbefgvecobeghght, Gyrosmeister, and Sir Adrian primarily, but others too) have been banging around ideas in a Discord server we are all a part of. If anyone wants to join over there too, contact Sept or myself.)
    It is indeed Blankenheim. A somewhat tough one, although I feel that it wasn't actually as tough as you made it out to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    You have spelled my name wrong, Ton11.
    I think he simply collapsed on his keyboard after searching for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    A somewhat tough one, although I feel that it wasn't actually as tough as you made it out to be.
    My eight hours or so spent on this says that you should be more careful with your words, buddy boy!

Quote Originally Posted by lolIsuck View Post
    I think he simply collapsed on his keyboard after searching for hours.
    Haha.

Well, this is my first time posting a prompt here, so forgive if it is either too hard or too easy. I'll give y'all a bit to think on your own before giving a hint, but feedback on the difficulty you think this is would be appreciated

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

| My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

I decided to look at google images of "Fern Valley" to see if I can find something similar. One of the images was yours, titled "Fern Canyon". So it's Fern Canyon, Praire Creek Redwoods state park.

Dang. I was afraid someone might just google the two first words that come to mind.

Well, I guess that was too easy. Be prepared for a picture of a random tree next time

At any rate, the Mouse Guard is now in charge. And Reepicheep demands full attention!

EDIT: I can't rep nhytbdvdsdprecko yet, so if someone would on my behalf, that would be lovely.
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Gram11 View Post
    Dang. I was afraid someone might just google the two first words that come to mind.
    I feel like the ferns and it being shaped as a canyon/valley were the 2 main defining features of the picture

EDIT: I can't rep nhytbdvdsdprecko yet, so if someone would on my behalf, that would be lovely.
    Can you rep nhytgbvfeco2 instead?

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Done.
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Good luck.

Edit: Thanks for the rep!
    Last edited by nhytgbvfeco2; October 20, 2022 at 05:40 AM.

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

Mar-a-Lago, Palm Beach, Florida?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia Iunia Bruti View Post
    Mar-a-Lago, Palm Beach, Florida?
    Heh, no, not at all. That has palm trees all over (as the name would suggest ).